GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Movie Super Bowl Clip Online

Started by Flying_Infant, February 01, 2009, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

The GI Joe trailer was shown with my Star Trek viewing. After the trailer ended, everyone laughed at it. Yeahh.. this movie is going to bomb.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

RTTingle

Anyone see the new clip?

The clip isn't too bad... until Robocops, er... the Joes show up.

So they dress down Cobra and slap on HALO-like wall climbing armour to the Joes.  Ugh.

I guess having the Joes dress down too would make too much sense.  Nooooooooo, let's make it "cool" instead.  Ugh.

RTT

GogglesPizanno

I'm going to reiterate... It will be the greatest and most awsome trainwreck ever.
I cant wait!

I figure Ive been disappointed by all the summer "event" movies thus far (except maybe Star Trek - but I'm hot a huge fan to begin with) so this one has the potential to be great due to my non existent expectations -- or expectations of train wreckitude.

thalaw2

This looks awesome!  Bound to be lots of 1 dimensional characters and stupid lines....I gotta see this on the big screen while I'm back in the states.  It also seems to be filled with action.  The best action movies are those a 5 year old could write.
革命不会被电视转播

TheMarvell

I like how the recent trailers say "From the director of The Mummy" and not his most recent film...Van Helsing, which was, I thought, one of the absolute worst movies I've sat through. I mean, I know it's a smart move on the marketing team to not mention the guys worst movies, but The Mummy came out such a long time ago. It reminds me of how every M. Night Shyamalan movie trailer HAS to say "from the director of the Sixth Sense," cus, you know, he hasn't made any movies since then.  :rolleyes:

this is going to be one big cheese fest. I'll be surprised if Rotten Tomatoes gives it anything higher than a 40%.

GhostMachine

I have three major problems with the movie (well, four, but since two involve a particular character I combined them):

1. The accelerator suits, which make the Joes look like black versions of Master Chief from HALO.

2. The casting of Cobra Commander, and from what I've heard he looks pretty stupid.

3. Marlon Wayans being in the movie practically guarantees it to bomb. And if any Joe gets killed off, I hope its him. He's easily my least favorite Wayans brother.

Also not too fond of the fact they made a pre-existing white character (Ripcord) black, rather than using a pre-existing black character, but I can live with it. Stalker and Roadblock are more well known than Ripcord, and even Alpine would have worked, and if there's a sequel I hope they do bring in Stalker or Roadblock.

steamteck

Well, I never really got into later GI Joe so I really have no investment here but looks kind of fun to me. I'd rather see a Van Helsing sequel myself or a real 3rd Mummy not the one we got instead but this looks like fun.

The audience I saw the trailer  with was actually good until they mentioned GI Joe THEN the laughing and derision started. To a lot of the public its just a kids toy line and that's kinda it.

RTTingle

You know... take the Iron-Man suits out.... and this new trailer is pretty damn awesome.

What made me flip?  I still think Cobra taking down the Eiffel tower is very old school Joe.  The underwater shots and scenes.  THE VEHICLES!!!  Did I see the Sharc?  The Sky Raven (Which honestly is Cobra's Night Raven as a Joe vehicle instead)?  Cobra Sea Ray? Cobra Mantis?

What made me cringe?  The goofy parts with the suit.  The spacefall.

What actually made me laugh?  "What happened to you?"  "I jumped over it"  "You can do that?"

Pleasant surprise? is that Ozzy's "Crazy Train" I hear?

RTT

BWPS

What actually made me laugh?  "What happened to you?"  "I jumped over it"  "You can do that?"
Now he's GOT to get him one of those!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Jakew

Apparently Stephen Sommers next film is Magic Kingdom for Sale ? SOLD! Which sucks, because I actually liked those books, and I'm not a fan of Sommers at all.

I haven't been following the development of GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, but I never realised it was set 10 years into the future?

Also, Arnold Vosloo as Zartan?

and:

"Brendan Fraser plays a motorcycle-riding sergeant, who is not Gung-Ho as has been rumored, whom he dubbed a "refugee from the Village People". Fraser claimed the character is a descendant of Rick O'Connell from The Mummy, thus linking both of Sommers' films.[35] Fraser said that he asked to have a cameo in the film after producer Bob Ducsay told him that the project had been green-lit."

JeyNyce

Quote from: Jakew on June 22, 2009, 04:54:17 AM
Apparently Stephen Sommers next film is Magic Kingdom for Sale ? SOLD! Which sucks, because I actually liked those books, and I'm not a fan of Sommers at all.

Magic Kingdom for Sale ? SOLD! - I love those books.  Please I hope they don't screw up this movie
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Courtnall6

Shouldn't the Baroness have an accent....or was that just a cartoon thing?

Side note: I'm so very tired of american media taking stabs at France(destruction of Eiffel Tower in this movie, destruction of Paris in Armegeddon, A-hole Ultimate Cap saying "This "A" doesn't stand for France!", etc, etc, etc) . It's been almost 70 years people. Let it go.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 22, 2009, 09:45:15 PM
Side note: I'm so very tired of american media taking stabs at France(destruction of Eiffel Tower in this movie, destruction of Paris in Armegeddon, A-hole Ultimate Cap saying "This "A" doesn't stand for France!", etc, etc, etc) . It's been almost 70 years people. Let it go.

Stop being so French  :P

As for GI Joe... I've said it a million times.
The most awesome train wreck ever!

As an aside, since we are talking about monument destruction, has anyone seen the new trailer for 2012? Its like Roland Emerich decided that this is going to be his disaster swan song and makes it a point to destroy EVERY MONUMENT IN THE WORLD that his other movies missed. Its so ridiculous, its amusing.

detourne_me

Quote from: BWPS on June 21, 2009, 11:38:05 PM
What actually made me laugh?  "What happened to you?"  "I jumped over it"  "You can do that?"
Now he's GOT to get him one of those!
:D :D :D :D :thumbup:

steamteck

Quote from: Jakew on June 22, 2009, 04:54:17 AM

I haven't been following the development of GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, but I never realised it was set 10 years into the future?

Also, Arnold Vosloo as Zartan?

and:

"Brendan Fraser plays a motorcycle-riding sergeant, who is not Gung-Ho as has been rumored, whom he dubbed a "refugee from the Village People". Fraser claimed the character is a descendant of Rick O'Connell from The Mummy, thus linking both of Sommers' films.[35] Fraser said that he asked to have a cameo in the film after producer Bob Ducsay told him that the project had been green-lit."

hmmm. On the other I don't know the book but I like  Sommers, vosloo and Fraiser so unless the source material or adaptation is not to my liking I'm in.

BentonGrey

It really, honestly breaks my heart that there are actually really excellent stories to tell with these characters and settings...and instead, we're getting this.  This is the ONE time GI JOE will get on the big screen, and they are wasting it. <_<
God Bless

Courtnall6

With Hollywood....rarely anything is ever ONE time.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 26, 2009, 02:42:51 PM
With Hollywood....rarely anything is ever ONE time.

Ha, they may turn this into three terrible movies instead of one, and they may even remake it in twenty years when I'm getting up there in age, but then it will be a remake of a terrible translation of a mediocre translation...and still not be the good stories.
God Bless

thalaw2

My best buddy saw a prescreening of this movie and said it was so bad it makes Transformers 2 look good....honestly.  He added that the audience reaction was such that the studio is considering pulling it before the official release date.
革命不会被电视转播

Jakew

There is no way to the studio would pull it at this stage. But I believe it will be awful.

Glitch Girl

G.I. Joe Will not be shown to critics

Generally, this does not bode well for the movie quality nor the studio's confidence in it.  
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Courtnall6

Quote from: thalaw2 on July 27, 2009, 04:44:16 AM
My best buddy saw a prescreening of this movie and said it was so bad it makes Transformers 2 look good....honestly.

:blink:

TF2 was a horrific disaster from beginning to end...but I'll still have to check out GiJoe for myself.

GogglesPizanno

Ive seen a few advance reviews that said Yes its dumb and silly and basically a big loud live action cartoon....but that it does it well and entertainingly if you go in with the right expectations. Then someone compared it to Flash Gordon, and I was even more sold than i was already.

I'm actually kind of excited about it right now.

Jakew

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 05, 2009, 03:01:10 AM

Generally, this does not bode well for the movie quality nor the studio's confidence in it.  

They are following the Transformers 2 rationale ... ie, that reviews and critics are worthless compared to good advertising campaigns.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on August 05, 2009, 03:29:05 AM
Ive seen a few advance reviews that said Yes its dumb and silly and basically a big loud live action cartoon....but that it does it well and entertainingly if you go in with the right expectations. Then someone compared it to Flash Gordon, and I was even more sold than i was already.

I'm actually kind of excited about it right now.

Exactly!!  And I am looking forward to it also.  I'm not expecting a "great movie" but I am expecting a fun, loud action movie that doesn't try to be anything other than a cheesy, fun summer popcorn film.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 05, 2009, 03:01:10 AM

LOL....I am not surprised...Unfortunately.  I mildly enjoyed the cartoon and have never read the comic book...But this looks more like a cartoon than the original cartoon ever was.

Dana

BentonGrey

Ohh man, Dana, do yourself a favor and pick up the original comics, at least the five volumes they've released in TPB's.  They are really some of the best comics I've read.
God Bless

GogglesPizanno

If Larry Hama started up GI Joe again and recruited Aquaman as a new team member, I think Benton would have to call it a day as there would be no more mountains left for him to climb....