News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Watchmen: the videogame?

Started by kkhohoho, January 29, 2009, 11:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/watchmen/news.html?sid=6194913&mode=news

QuoteFans of Alan Moore's seminal graphic novel Watchmen have another reason to be excited (or apprehensive). The upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures film adaptation is already faced with the daunting task of capturing the nuanced and layered story of the original comics, but the studio's interactive entertainment arm today announced it would further adapt the film into games.

Set for release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC, Watchmen will be an episodic downloadable series developed by Deadline Games, the Danish studio behind Chili Con Carnage, Total Overdose, and Faith and a .45. Described as action-brawlers, the games will serve as prequels to the film, chronicling the vigilante team of Rorschach and Nite Owl in their earlier days. The game will not only build up the backstories of various characters from the film, but also introduce new opponents into the mix.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

TheMarvell

it'll be crap. The games in that developers lineup are all really bad.

Glitch Girl

What is it about movie based video games that 90% of them suck like a vacuum?

I can't speak for this one since it hasn't been released yet, but think about it - how many games based on movies, especially SUCCESSFUL movies have been any kind of decent quality?

discuss.  :)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BWPS

Quote from: Glitch Girl on January 30, 2009, 02:57:52 PM

I can't speak for this one since it hasn't been released yet, but think about it - how many games based on movies, especially SUCCESSFUL movies have been any kind of decent quality?

It's miserable, especially when a cool movie comes out like Iron Man that should be an awesome game.
The developers get hit with a crazy little time to release them before/when the movie comes out which means they have to throw together something quick. Also a lot of their sales come from the popularity of the movie so they can sell well without being good games.

To answer your question: Goldeneye, Star Wars games. I won't count Fate of Atlantis, but that's an amazing game.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Vertex

Yeah I'd have to agree with BWPS

Game design takes time and usually is a long built up process. Some fad comes along and they get hit with an unrealistic deadline to maximize fad sale potential. The best you can hope for usually is they have some unfinished project laying around or another game to "translate' real quick to the current fad. I don't think it's so much of a deliberate intent to release dreck... merely more of a case of trying to cash in on that fad while the iron is hot.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

tommyboy

What about the Super Mario games? :P

Seriously, I'm playing the old Xbox Batman Begins and it's alright. Not brilliant, but it isn't sucking too much yet.
Superman REturns on the 360 has some nice touches, but wears thin pretty quick.
And I thought Spiderman3 was quite good, though I dunno that its strictly a "game of the movie".
Same with the latest Hulk game.

BentonGrey

Just wait Tommy, when Batman starts being just SLAUGHTERED by any punk with a machine gun because he moves like an old man, the fun level of that game drops dramatically.  I got it and started playing, and was thinking "this isn't as bad as people have made it out to be."  Until I got to the level on the docks, and my mind was very quickly changed.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

TheMarvell

Iron Man should have been awesome. I was really hoping for another Hulk Ultimate Destruction, this time starring Iron Man, but instead it was utter crap. Even the demo was bad.

So far, the only recent movie-games that have been decent are the Spider-Man's, but even those games aren't as good as they should be. In fact, most of the "good" movie-games are really only mediocre at best. And Star Wars hardly counts either, because any SW game that isn't based off the actual movie usually ends up being pretty good. But then take any SW that IS based off of a movie (Phantom Menace on PS1, Revenge of the Sith on PS2) and it's usually crap.

But like was already said, it's all about the development time, which they don't get hardly any of because they have to release around the time of the movie. Except for Superman Returns, oddly enough. That game was released later, around the time the DVD came out, and it still ended up pretty crappy...

zuludelta

BWPS pretty much hit the nail on the head. Producers always look for "synergy" so they want the games released at roughly the same time as the movie so as to maximize Q ratings and such, but all that ends up happening is the product is rushed and buggy.

As for recent movie-based games that actually played well, I'd say Ghost Rider (which was supposed to be a sequel of sorts to the godawful film starring Nic Cage) for the PS2 was a halfway decent, if short, God of War clone. As TheMarvell mentioned, the Spider-Man games that served as recreations of the films are pretty good, even by non-movie videogame standards. The most recent Hulk game was an okay, but not great, game although it's basically a remake of the earlier Hulk: Ultimate Destruction using movie-specific models and themes, and for anybody who's played that game, the latest Hulk game will probably feel a bit all-too familiar.   
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

Volsung

Well^^ I loved The warriors,LOTR ROK,  King Kong , Riddick...
I didn't try Scarface, but I heard it was good.
It's amusing to see that Lucas' star wars or Peter jackson's lord of the rings are still alive thanks to several type of video games^^

I can't wait for Ghostbusters^^
Slightly off topic, "Prototype" looks awesome. That's really a game where you feel super-heroic. (Although it seems the hero rather act like a villain)

Stuff  hosted by the courtesy of http://www.freedom-asylum.co.uk/