Battlestar Galactica

Started by Ares_God_of_War, January 17, 2009, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

Whats everyone's thoughts on the new episode so far? I watched it at Hulu.com

I expected something along the lines of what happened but there were a few shocker moments
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

GogglesPizanno

Its impossible to talk about this episode without spoilers, so all have been warned...

Spoiler

Man, what bleak episode...

The whole plot with Starbuck and playing her up as the fifth cylon, that was just too easy and convenient and I knew there had to be something else going on. Though Im damn confused at what right now... And as for the fifth cylon being Tigh's wife, I dont really have an opinion. She was definitely one of the online front runners... so I have kind of a wait and see attitude about where they are going with it. I'm suspecting though that she was the one in the crashed viper that we think was Starbuck, that's my initial suspicion anyway.

The whole Dee thing though... Holy crap I did NOT see that coming. It was a gut punch. I thought right up to her pulling the gun that they were gonna reveal her as number five. The BAM. I'm totally sad shes gone, but given the tone of the episode and the whole depressed vibe of the storyline right now, its actually made a lot of sense to me. I really liked that they did it... dramatically speaking.

All in all, I thought it was a really strong episode. And its nice to see them dealing with some heavy emotional stories without resorting to the mystical religious stuff that I think was really overblown and overdone in the first half of this season.

I am really curious where they are gonna tie in the 10 part webisode... that one left stuff hanging as well.

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
Yeah I agree. I figured Starbuck would destroy the body as well. They could do some weird nod to the ship of lights people with Kara. I am leaning more toward this not being earth or if it is a reverse of what happened with the Colonies and another Human fleet destroyed those Cylons. So my bet is the 13th tribe was a mix or it became a mix after separation
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Glitch Girl

Spoiler
Dee's suicide... good grief, where did THAT come from?  Was that just thrown in to really make everything even more depressing?

Okay, that aside, I did like this episode.  Some misdirection with Kara (wondering how that's gonna get explained), and some good character stuff and the bits of memory, I liked that.  Did not expect the final cylon to be who it was, but in a way I like this better than most of the theories I've heard.  Now what I want to know is, where is/was the final 5's rebirthing place?  I mean, for the 5 to still have those memories after 2,000 years, something's been going on.

Well, that and a whole lotta other questions that they've got 9 more eps to answer.

Tigh's wife is supposed to be in about 7 of the remaining 10 I hear BTW.

I really hope this series doesn't end with a real downer though.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Uncle Yuan

Spoiler
I was feeling a little left out . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Podmark

Spoiler
The idea behind Dee's suicide was that all hope is lost with the wasteland Earth. That was their last hope and now its gone, the Cylons are still after them. So Dee went about having one last prefect day - playing with Athena, dating Lee, talking to Felix - and then decided to end it. I guess she thought it could only go downhill from there.
Her death certainly shocked me, but I can understand where they were coming from.

Final Cylon is kinda a disappointment. I always figured the last one would be somebody huge like Adama, Balter, or Roslin. We'll see where they go from here.

A bleak episode for sure (but that describes most of the show anyway) but really what else could it have been after the last one.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GogglesPizanno

Spoiler

They had said for a while that the fifth cylon wasn't going to be any of the major characters. And one of the episodes even has Xena (cause Lucy Lawless will always be Xena to me) talking about how the fifth wasn't in the fleet. This led to the speculation that it had to either be one of the "dead" secondary characters, or else some nobody from out of the blue. This is why I dont have a lot of disappointment or really any feeling about it. It turned out to be one of the characters i sorta expected it to be. Though I will say that Mrs. Tigh as a character always just made me mad when she was on screen cause she was just such a bad person...

Glitch Girl

Spoiler
But why did they choose Dee?

I dunno, it just seems like they've been killing off a lot of notable female cast members in some pretty grizzly ways. Ellen was poisoned by her husband, Kat died of radiation, Cally got sucked out an airlock, Dee shot herself in the head, Starbuck appeared to blow up (okay that one probably doesn't count since we're not sure WHAT happened there)...   maybe it's just me.    

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Podmark

Quote from: Glitch Girl on January 21, 2009, 03:31:18 AM
Spoiler
But why did they choose Dee?

I dunno, it just seems like they've been killing off a lot of notable female cast members in some pretty grizzly ways. Ellen was poisoned by her husband, Kat died of radiation, Cally got sucked out an airlock, Dee shot herself in the head, Starbuck appeared to blow up (okay that one probably doesn't count since we're not sure WHAT happened there)...   maybe it's just me.    

Well that's kinda valid.

Spoiler
In the case of Cally and Dee though they were ditching non-essential characters. Ellen was more about Saul than it was her I think, and there's of course the Cylon thing to consider, killing her might actually have greater significance.

And it's not like male characters have gone untouched, Billy was killed, Felix lost a leg, Saul lost an eye. Those last two aren't deaths but they are pretty grusome and consistently shown.

Cally and Dee were pretty minor characters and when neither were made Cylons it made them non-essential. In the suicide case Dee was an easy choice. Not main enough to disrupt any plans and better known than say Hot Dog or Seelix so the audience will care enough for it to be worth it. Now Cally I never really understood, I think it's only purpose was to make me to hate Torrie. 
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
well things are getting interesting. I never really liked Gaeta so I like the direction his character is going. I wonder if Baltar will start getting messages from his inner 6 now that he is basically giving the middle finger to the cylon god. And also I doubt Caprica 6's baby will go to full term. I wonder what will happen if Ellen tigh gets ressurected. and my vote is that Kara will be a product of whatever nuked earth

Ares_God_of_War

GogglesPizanno

But what a damn good episode....
I can't wait for next week...

Podmark

Yeah twas a good one.

Spoiler
I now hate Gaeta.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Glitch Girl

Spoiler
So it looks like Saul (or at least this Saul) won't make it through the crisis, judging from the previews.  What a shame. 

And yeah, Gaeta has become a royal bastich.
-Glitch Girl

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
My guess now is that Starbuck's dad is a Daniel that survived

Glitch Girl

Spoiler
My thoughts exactly.  Starbuck is the chosen child of prophecy, the hybrid, though that still doesn't explain the whole thing with the body in the ship.  Makes me wonder about Hera's life expectancy now.

They are getting a lot of mileage out of "Along the Watchtower" aren't they?
-Glitch Girl

GogglesPizanno

Spoiler
Thats what its looking like. A friend of mine actually predicted the Starbuck thing right after they brought up the Daniel plot line... right afterwards he was like "Starbucks Dad!"

My only problem with the show right now is that Im still having problems wrapping my brain around the whole cylon/earth/final five time-line. I understand enough to keep up, but some of the little details about the whole history keep eluding me. I feel like I need a flowchart of some kind  :)

Xorn

Who saw the final? It answered all the questions except one....

Spoiler
It seems their is being who is influencing everything... and it doesn't like the name given to it by most people.... Who is God? I guess that's the question we all ask ourselves if we believe that is.... it was a good ending if somewhat open ended...
99 red balloons floating in the summer sky
Panic bells, it's RED ALERT
There's something here from somewhere else
The WAR machine springs to life
Opens up one eager EYE
While 99 red balloons go by.

GogglesPizanno

Actually they definitively answered a little, hinted at subjective interpretation answers for other things, and left a few totally open ended. I found it to be a very satisfying ending, albeit one that I am still working on fully digesting...

Glitch Girl

I was mostly pleased by the ending. 
Spoiler

I wasn't sure how they were going to deal with the dream, or even if they were going to deal with it, but they did; however with the new perspective, Baltar and Caprica are not stealing the child but delivering it. 

Maybe it was just me, but when I saw the mental manifestations of Baltar and Carprica together for the first time, my first thought was Azeraphael and Crowley from "Good Omens".

The attack and the later negotiations were very well handled.

When the five merged their memories, I KNEW something was going to go horribly wrong, and did it ever.   Part of me was glad revenge was finally achieved but dang that was brutal. 

I had the song pegged as coordinates a long time ago, but still it worked well. 

For the record, the creator of the show has stated that Starbuck is NOT the daughter of Daniel, that was just a red herring.  Darn.

I'm not sure I liked how she just vanished once the survivors started to settle in to the new planet.  Seemed somehow unsatisfying.  Rosalyn and Adaman, though sad, seemed a more satisfying end to me. 

All in all though, I liked how it went out. 
-Glitch Girl