News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Universe Online

Started by Midnite, January 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

I haven't lmao over a youtube video in awhile but I sure did watching this one. He's right of course, but man, was this guy born yesterday? Companies will milk you for all you are worth everytime. Paying for monthly rates playing games is crazy in theory, yes. But if you think about paying for cable/satellite service every month that you may or may not even use much, well that's crazy too. If you get entertained playing DC Online and they keep adding new content, sounds like to me it would be worth it. It's not like you are playing a story campaign and once you are done with it, that's all it has to offer.

Spe-Dog

Looks like from some of the videos that you can co-opt some of the costume pieces or symbols from the characters in the DCU or at least your mentor as well.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Midnite

Sent my pre-order receipt to DCUO, hopefully I'll be getting the beta key soon.  :D

Tortuga

Quote from: Midnite on October 23, 2010, 03:58:45 PM
Came across this first video, at first I thought this guy was just a fan upset about the P2P. But after the delay and the beta he made some more videos. He does have some valid points...

Those videos showcase everything that's wrong with the internet.

I'm curious, what are his valid points?

Trelau

Quote from: Tortuga on October 26, 2010, 02:52:42 AM
Came across this first video, at first I thought this guy was just a fan upset about the P2P. But after the delay and the beta he made some more videos. He does have some valid points...

Well he surely has a big mouth (not to found of profanity for profanity's sake) but he does have some good points.
The fact that the game is first made, then priced: P2P defender always says the game will be worse if it's free, so if the game was already made before...
The "greedy" aspect of the marketing team (they are the ones who chose the paymetn option, against the better judgment of the developmetn team who wanted a guild wars model): they have a subscription fee, planned boxed extension AND microtransaction. The only thing they didn't do (yet) is in-game advertisement.
The exclusion of PS3 players: like he said, PS3 player are not used to pay for online games, so it probably have less PS3 players than PC players. Now that they've announced that the servers won't be cross platform, there's good chances the PS3 servers will be "empty", at least compared to the PC ones.

didn't watched all the video (i may agree with him, but i just can't stand the way he talks) so there's probably a few more "good pints" here and there

MJB

Here are the points I saw in the videos in question...

1- No cross platform gameplay.
2- No day/night cycles.
3- 2 characters per account.
4- Supposedly content was made for the boxed version & was pulled for a payed expansion.
5- The game hasn't been released & micro transactions/expansions are being bandied about.
6- Beta is pre-order only.
7- Pay-2-play suxx0rz

Champions Online announced their own Free-2-Play service today. D&D Online has Free-2-Play. LotR Online has Free-2-Play. Some people just don't want to pay $15 a month for a game that already has eyes on payed expansions & micro transactions before the game is even released. I get that, I really do. I would happily pay $15 a month for an experience comparable to CoH on my PS3 using DC universe characters. With the information I have at hand there is no guarantee that I'll have that with DCUO.

The more I hear about this game the more I question my pre-order.

bat1987

Quote from: MJB on October 27, 2010, 05:38:25 AM

Here are the points I saw in the videos in question...
3- 2 characters per account.

Thats a lie actually, they haven't officially announced number of characters per account, they said at least 5 in one of the interviews. And beta is only pre-order atm, beta application started in august, pre order only gurantees you a beta access but you can still get it if you applied earlier.

MJB

To clarify, that statistic wasn't mine. I do not know how many character slots DCUO offers. To be honest even if the number is 5 I would be very disappointed.

bat1987

I know MJB, I presumed it was from the guy who posted the youtube videos. But yeah, 5 is not enough IMO.

JeyNyce

One of my co-worker did the pre order and is in the beta.  So far he likes it better than Champions online.  I'll probably pre-order just to play in the beta and if I don't like it I'll just cancel my order.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Midnite

It was:

1. No cross server play
2. Content being pulled, will be as paid DLC
3. Beta access via pre-order.

I heard that #2 wasn't true.

Hey JeyNyce, has your friend played CoX? Just wondering how DCUO compare with it.

MJB

Quote from: JeyNyce on October 27, 2010, 04:20:18 PMI'll probably pre-order just to play in the beta and if I don't like it I'll just cancel my order.

I plan on doing the same. Hopefully I'll get my invite soon.

JeyNyce

Quote from: Midnite on October 27, 2010, 04:27:47 PM

It was:

1. No cross server play
2. Content being pulled, will be as paid DLC
3. Beta access via pre-order.

I heard that #2 wasn't true.

Hey JeyNyce, has your friend played CoX? Just wondering how DCUO compare with it.

He never played it.  One of the things he does like is that he was flying, got shot at and while he was falling he was able to stop in mid fall and started flying again.

BTW: I pre-order to get into the Beta and as soon as I got back to work I get an invite to the beta, how funny is that?

MJB

Gratz on the beta invite, Jey. I sent in my receipt but haven't' heard anything yet. :(

electro

That's great Jeynyce - Please keep us updated :blink:

JeyNyce

Guys the game is AWESOME!!!

Me , personally, it's better than Champions online and has something that was missing from COX.  The controls are bit different, but you can adjust to them very easily.  The graphics are nice and it plays like a 3rd person action game.  I created a villain with a catwoman template and you click the right mouse for range and left for close/ melee attacks.  The 1-9 keys are for weapons, for my toon, button 1 was her bombs and 2 was a force field she would put around the cop to damage them.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is going to the menus.  "I" is for inventory and "K"  is use to upgrade your powers.  It's a little hard to understand, because it states that you can upgrade, but doesn't tell you where.  I would like to post screen shots, but I'm not sure if I could.  Anyway I will be playing again tonight.  I'll start a hero and see how that goes.

One more thing, if you guys get invited, the beta is 15.5Gigs

MJB

Quote from: JeyNyce on October 28, 2010, 03:01:26 PMOne more thing, if you guys get invited, the beta is 15.5Gigs

Very helpful information, Jey. If I ever get my invite I'll need to back-up & remove a bunch of stuff on my PS3. Thanks for the heads up.

Midnite

Hey JeyNyce,
What are you PC specs? Is it running smoothly? What's this extra something that was missing from CoX?

Sigh, still waiting for the beta key. T^T

JeyNyce

Quote from: Midnite on October 29, 2010, 12:30:44 AM
Hey JeyNyce,
What are you PC specs? Is it running smoothly? What's this extra something that was missing from CoX?

Sigh, still waiting for the beta key. T^T
I have a Core 2 quad running @ 2.8Gigs with 6Gigs of Ram and a Geforce 470 video card with an 8800GTX for Physx.  It's not the most powerful by today standards, but it's beefy.
The something extra?  I guess it would be the way it feels.  You don't always have to press 1, 2, 1, 3, etc let that charge back up then repeat.  You have your melee & range (left & Right mouse buttons) always ready, so if you do let something charge, you can still be fighting.

I did find something I didn't like, but it maybe because it's beta: The outfits you start out with are bland, but you can change then by doing quest and getting new gear.  Also you can't change the colors on them (yet) and you can't change you character face, features, nationality.  I guess they are still working on this, so I won't complain, it's still a beta.

electro

Waiting for the PS3 beta - Hopefully that will start at the end of November - Thanks for the info :blink:

bredon7777

And if I don't have a scanner to send in my pre-order receipt?  How do I get my beta key then? :(
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

electro

Can you cancel your preorder & change the preorder to amazon or one of the online distributers? - Then you can send in your digital receipt :blink:

Midnite

Quote from: bredon7777 on October 30, 2010, 03:37:30 AM
And if I don't have a scanner to send in my pre-order receipt?  How do I get my beta key then? :(

Take a pic from your cell phone.

Found this tidbit on the facebook page.

QuoteJust finished speaking to an SOE rep. If this pertains to anyone besides myself, I hope this helps. If you send in a preorder receipt that is faulty, (blurry picture, void confirmation number, etc.), they will only void that SINGLE receipt. If you happened to send in a valid receipt with the same information they will ...NOT void it.
Also: The beta keys are being sent out in random batches. Theoretically, if you send in a receipt now, you could receive you beta key in the next handful sent out.
Keep refreshing your e-mails! XD

QuoteMore information. SOE customer service are all operating with the information that all beta-keys SHOULD have been sent out in their "daily batches" by November 9th!

JeyNyce

I did run into a snag, which I have to contact tech support about.  I'm fighting with Killer Croc against Bane and he trapped us in a room and we're all fighting.  Bane defeats me and I respawn on the floor over them.  I go back down and the place is closed off to me.  I see Croc & Bane fighting, no one is taking damage, and I'm stuck on the sideline watching.

Midnite

DC Universe Online: The MMO for the Warcraft Phobic

Jim Lee Weighs In On 'DC Universe Online' Delay And The Character Costume
Dilemma

QuoteAnd on that last note, Lee hinted that players' adventures could eventually take them well outside the Earth-based game environment — and possibly through time.

"You can go intergalactic with it, you can go into the future with Legion of Super Heroes... There are so many cool things you can do," he said.

Tomato

Just recieved my beta email. This will probably take awhile though... 12.7 gb dl, jebus.

Least I have Kingdom Hearts 2 FM to keep me company for awhile.

JeyNyce

Tomato

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 13, 2010, 01:04:26 AM
congrats, for PC or PS3?

PC. Not much of a console MMO guy, to be honest... dunno why.

Midnite

I mine NAO! D:
Congratz! Tomato.