News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Universe Online

Started by Midnite, January 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Finally watched the creation video. Gahh.. the naming of your character is at the end.  :banghead:
Anyways, I'm leaning towards the PC version. What about you people?

Tortuga

My guess is that it has a naming system more similar to Champions Online then City of Heroes.

lugaru

Quote from: Midnite on October 14, 2010, 04:17:48 PM
Finally watched the creation video. Gahh.. the naming of your character is at the end.  :banghead:
Anyways, I'm leaning towards the PC version. What about you people?

PC if at all... still deciding.

As long as "no names are taken" much like Champions Online I'll be happy. It would kill me if I have a superhero I created and have to go with another name because somebody else used the name a day before.

MJB

Quote from: Midnite on October 14, 2010, 04:17:48 PM...I'm leaning towards the PC version. What about you people?

There's no way this computer will handle running that game so I'm picking up the PS3 version.

electro

Quote from: marhawkman on October 14, 2010, 02:40:53 PM
The point of the mentor is to have someone your character gets missions from.  Correct?

Mentors also determine which training area you'll be starting in & provide the villains you'll be battling :blink:

UnkoMan

The mentor thing is sort of weird since they were also saying stuff like, "If your character is magic you'll be mentored by Wonder Woman, if your character uses tech you'll be mentored by Batman..." and I forget for Superman.

Yet I've a character who is magic in origin, but I'd prefer he start off in Gotham, and use Batman as a mentor.
Likewise, Unko himself has no powers and uses tech, but I still picture him fitting more into Superman's world.

I suspect that will mostly be the determining factor for people.

Glitch Girl

I haven't had a chance to view the videos yet, so this may be answered therein... Are there only three mentors? I was under the impression there would be more. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

lugaru

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 15, 2010, 03:30:40 PM
I haven't had a chance to view the videos yet, so this may be answered therein... Are there only three mentors? I was under the impression there would be more. 

They make it pretty clear that there are 3 BUT this game has an evil side so I would not be surprised if they are 3 with maybe The Joker, Circe and Luthor on the other side of the coin.

Mr. Hamrick

If there are only three then that kinda sucks.  What about having the GL corps as a mentor?  or The Flash?

or John Constantine (a personal choice of mine)  or The Question (another one i'd chose)

UnkoMan

Or The Creeper!

But seriously, is it a bit odd they didn't choose more of the Justice League. (Like Aquaman!)
I am betting the mentor thing will break down as Batman in huge numbers, Superman in fairly large numbers, and Wonder Woman in pretty small numbers.

electro

Since they all have there own missions & villains to fight I bet they will all be played equally - Other mentors with there own villains & missions will be released in later updates to keep us hooked for years - As for a initial release with 6 mentors total that's alot of content really to keep us hooked till the updates start rolling in - If we played all the mentors all the way threw then we would have 6 characters reach lvl 30 - That's quite a feat - Did anyone catch the new Inside the Studio video where they hint at secret identities content :blink:

Video : http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=439044672329

MJB

Is 30 the level cap? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

Reepicheep

The mentor issue (if you can call it an issue. More of a shrugging inconvenience) is less how much content it offers, but how the selection of mentors apply to our potential character concepts.

Personally, I'm not too fussed. Its basically the same as CoH's origins, dictating where the character starts, but with two less options.

I guess you'd draw these lines:
Natural/Tech/Science - Batman
Mutation/Natural/Science - Superman
Magic - Wonder Woman

Placing science under two mentors, since science is quite a vague origin.

lugaru

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on October 15, 2010, 11:34:02 PM
or John Constantine (a personal choice of mine) 

John Constantine as a mentor?!

"Your mission is to get me 2 packs of Silk Cut and a bottle of Whiskey". "Congratz, you completed your mission, as a reward John tricks a demon that has been hounding him into going after you instead".

;)

----------------------

Honestly if Champions Online takes forever to create villain missions I'm certainly making the jump to DC. I dont know why Champions is the only game out there without villain quests... I guess they want to go the City of Heroes route and release it in a few years BUT the fact that it already exists for City of Heroes and soon DC Online really makes them look bad.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: lugaru on October 18, 2010, 01:30:27 AM
Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on October 15, 2010, 11:34:02 PM
or John Constantine (a personal choice of mine) 

John Constantine as a mentor?!

"Your mission is to get me 2 packs of Silk Cut and a bottle of Whiskey". "Congratz, you completed your mission, as a reward John tricks a demon that has been hounding him into going after you instead".

;)

----------------------

Honestly if Champions Online takes forever to create villain missions I'm certainly making the jump to DC. I dont know why Champions is the only game out there without villain quests... I guess they want to go the City of Heroes route and release it in a few years BUT the fact that it already exists for City of Heroes and soon DC Online really makes them look bad.

ok, good point.   The point I was getting at is for the inclusion of "lesser known heroes" as mentors.  I don't really see Wonder Woman, Batman or Superman as really all that appropriate for the mentoring of "magic based characters".  As for the Constantine reference, he was sort of a mentor to Timothy Hunter in "The Books of Magic" series.  (He showed up a few times in the ongoing series not the original limited series as I recall.)

As for the whiskey, I could go for some Jameson right now.

electro

Quote from: MJB on October 17, 2010, 05:39:08 PM
Is 30 the level cap? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

Scan down threw the video's till you see "The DCUO panel for Fan Faire 2010! (part 3)"
- So far this is all that's been talked about for level cap - Hopefully they will raise the Cap to around 50
:blink:

Link : http://www.facebook.com/SOEFanFaire?ref=ts#

JeyNyce

Not trying to sound funny, but where's Aquaman as a mentor?  Where are the sea levels?  As a nod to the old Super-Friends toon, they should have made Aquaman a mentor so it would have been the original 4.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Trelau

Sea levels are said to be "reserved" for a future expansion. Just like alll the space level are kept for the future (and probably first) expansion wich will add the actual green lantern corp.

JeyNyce

So, looking into my Crystal Tek Ball I see 3 possible updates/ expansion pack coming out:

Space missions
Sea Mission
Milestone characters/ Dakota missions - I'm fighting hard for this one.

JeyNyce

bat1987

I will pre order the game, but the guaranteed closed beta access is NA only :(.
At least it gets us Europeans in the open beta.

marhawkman

Quote from: UnkoMan on October 15, 2010, 02:45:03 PM
The mentor thing is sort of weird since they were also saying stuff like, "If your character is magic you'll be mentored by Wonder Woman, if your character uses tech you'll be mentored by Batman..." and I forget for Superman.

Yet I've a character who is magic in origin, but I'd prefer he start off in Gotham, and use Batman as a mentor.
Likewise, Unko himself has no powers and uses tech, but I still picture him fitting more into Superman's world.

I suspect that will mostly be the determining factor for people.
They might add more in expansions.

Spe-Dog

I was hoping that the Corps, any color really, would be added as a possible power source for a character.  Has anyone heard a yay or nay on that?
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

bat1987

They have the Hard light power set(green lantern type) in development, but they said that it prolly won't be available at launch.

marhawkman

Which means they'll add it in expansion 1....(probably)

bat1987

Black Adam's suit is sweet!
Luckily we won't be seeing people running around in the same gear since we have option to keep the stats and not the look for each piece. Gotta admit, some of those suits look great.

UnkoMan

The best part of that video for me?

Seeing Dr. Fate fight Black Adam.

marhawkman

This of course makes me wonder if Teth-Adam will be a supervillain mentor. :)

Midnite

Came across this first video, at first I thought this guy was just a fan upset about the P2P. But after the delay and the beta he made some more videos. He does have some valid points.

***PROFANITY WARNING***

Big Mistake Part 1

Big Mistake Part 2

Big Mistake Part 3