Main Menu

DC Universe Online

Started by Midnite, January 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Quote from: Tortuga on July 22, 2010, 08:30:29 PM
Quote from: bat1987 on July 22, 2010, 10:22:30 AM
I wanna play as Jim Lee Bats soo badly.

Is that going to be possible?  I thought players were creating their own characters that (at times) play alongside DC characters.

With the exception of Direct to Drive All pre-orders include a play as Batman in a special pre-order only 2 vs 2 pvp arena.

electro

Quote from: Tortuga on July 22, 2010, 08:30:29 PM
Quote from: bat1987 on July 22, 2010, 10:22:30 AM
I wanna play as Jim Lee Bats soo badly.

Is that going to be possible?  I thought players were creating their own characters that (at times) play alongside DC characters.

These are structured PvP battles where you can only use in game characters - As noted in the video there will be sortove a weight class to picking these battles - Like i'm assuming the middle weight class will be your Batman, Knightwing, Huntress, Joker, Harley, Bane - Later they will add the heavyweight class with Superman, Lex Luthor, Doomsday etc... This is the first video i've seen on this so far but, I'm excited about the amount of modes there adding to the game :blink:

bat1987

Ya, at start you have Harley and Robin, and you unlock the rest through PvP points.
If online interviews are to be believed, Batman will be a pre-order bonus only, so unless you pre order you wont be able to unlock him.

Reepicheep

captmorgan72

Supes shrugs off Black Adam's punches? I object your Honor! Than again he WAS pretty ticked.

murs47

That was pretty damn cool. DC needs to make their direct to dvd flicks like that.

vamp

That should be a movie, not a game trailer. It was awesome.

Tortuga

That was a decent beat-em-up trailer but I gotta say I really dislike the growling voice acting of Superman and Batman.

lugaru

Quote from: Tortuga on July 25, 2010, 01:30:11 AM
That was a decent beat-em-up trailer but I gotta say I really dislike the growling voice acting of Superman and Batman.

Wow DC is hardcore. Oh wait...

JeyNyce

GREAT TRAILER!!!! But it raises a bunch of new question, like How the heck did all of that started?!!

That really should have been a movie!  What they should do is make a half hour movie prequel to the game that comes with the game instead of a 5min trailer.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Tortuga

I'm disappointed that 3 out of 3 superhero based MMOs all have similar initial conflicts -- some kind of invasion. DC could've set itself apart given the other 2 are already established.

Podmark

It was a cool trailer but I really didn't care for the character designs. Very brutal version of DC, is the game going to be like that?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

JeyNyce

Quote from: Tortuga on July 25, 2010, 05:35:29 PM
I'm disappointed that 3 out of 3 superhero based MMOs all have similar initial conflicts -- some kind of invasion. DC could've set itself apart given the other 2 are already established.

City of Heroes - Invasion (check)
Champions Online - Invasion (check)
DC Universe Online - Brainiac...Invades Earth (check)

Seems like Capes & Aliens invasions goes hand in hand

Tomato

Just went and got my pre-ordering done (was gonna do it online, but my connection is based on cell phone tether... so yeah, so I decided to go to gamestop.) In all likelyhood I'll be playing PvP just so I can get to play as two-face, then get bored.

Xenolith

I signed up for beta, but I'm not buying it until 2011 because Civ V is out this fall, as is Blood Bowl.

JKCarrier

Quote from: Podmark on July 25, 2010, 07:14:55 PM
It was a cool trailer but I really didn't care for the character designs. Very brutal version of DC, is the game going to be like that?

From the gameplay videos I've seen, no it won't. It looks like the idea is that, in order to prevent this nasty future from happening, Future-Luthor goes back to the past and creates a bunch of new superheroes, i.e. the player characters.

JeyNyce

That explains all the new heroes, but why all the new villains??

freegentile

I get the feeling that many of us are either a) just more wholesome or b) just a lot older than most fans of DCUO & those who are commenting on DCUO pages & GameTrailers. I concur that the CGI here is way awesome & DC should do movies like this, just like Marvel should do movies like the trailers & cutscenes for their MUA games & that MarvelKids Iron Man Adventures 3-clip series. Much better than live action.

As for this trailer, beyond its CGI wonderment, there are lots of issues:

1. Why are the heroes getting their clocks cleaned so easily? Yes, I know it's part of the DCUO plot, but it's depressing. Seems like this is a lot like the Khyber thing where Superman exiled himself & then came back to fight Khyber, WW & others were fighting Khyber's minions, etc. Guess it's probably been done many times in recent DC history.

2. Trailer doesn't match up w/ comics/character heritage/historical abilities in many points. How in the world does Deathstroke have a chance against Wonder Woman, whom Batman coined, "the world's greatest melee fighter"? Does Wonder Woman, allegedly a goddess, not have any kind of defense against Circe? Is she really capable of being weakened to the point that Luthor in battle armor can hold her? Which then brings into account Batman...how can he be taken out so easily? Yes, he was just knocked over by essentially a dirty bomb's effects (but then Deathstroke should have been, too) & tied up by an allegedly unbreakable rope, but c'mon. And by Deathstroke, again. And where is the gauge of the magic of Shazam vs. the magic of the Green Lantern Corps? And can even a charged up Superman take down THE Black Adam that easily? Is the magic of Shazam in the same league or not w/ the Speed Force, which Flash can tap into? He took out GL & Flash way too easily.

3. Whole trailer was just too graphic. Especially the Kryptonite in WW's mouth & the spear thru Supes. Supes' heat vision in BA's face. Batman being beaten while hanging. Joker talking about more murdering to do. Just too much, man. I mean, I know many parents don't filter anything these days, so many won't care that their kids watch this, but our kids can't even see their old standby heroes in anything anymore w/out some of sick/perverted element! I gotta go back to the bloomin' SuperFriends to allow them to watch anything full length!

All these sci-fi outfits suffer from the same problem...I can't believe how many times I hear, "Man, that was an an awesome (movie, trailer, etc.), if it just hadn't been for (that, that one scene, that one element, etc.).

I'm done. Thank you.

JeyNyce

All I can say is that times has change.  This is not your daddy's Super Friends.  I guess they are just keeping up with the times.  But like I said before, this would all make sense if they explain how it all started.  From the way the city looked, it must have been going on for a long while.

Trelau

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 26, 2010, 07:44:20 PM
But like I said before, this would all make sense if they explain how it all started.  From the way the city looked, it must have been going on for a long while.
:huh: I though Luthor explained everything at the beginning. He was obsess with killing superman. After many battles, superman needed to recharge his battery or got sick of being ambushed everytime he got out of his appartement, so he flew to the sun to medidate.
Luthor saw an opportunity in that, and lauched a full-scale assault on the rest of the Justice League (wich explains the state of the city, with stategist like batman and luthor, the battle must have being going for days). And that's where the trailer pick up.

captmorgan72

Quote from: freegentile on July 26, 2010, 06:39:13 PM
I get the feeling that many of us are either a) just more wholesome or b) just a lot older than most fans of DCUO & those who are commenting on DCUO pages & GameTrailers. I concur that the CGI here is way awesome & DC should do movies like this, just like Marvel should do movies like the trailers & cutscenes for their MUA games & that MarvelKids Iron Man Adventures 3-clip series. Much better than live action.

As for this trailer, beyond its CGI wonderment, there are lots of issues:

1. Why are the heroes getting their clocks cleaned so easily? Yes, I know it's part of the DCUO plot, but it's depressing. Seems like this is a lot like the Khyber thing where Superman exiled himself & then came back to fight Khyber, WW & others were fighting Khyber's minions, etc. Guess it's probably been done many times in recent DC history.

2. Trailer doesn't match up w/ comics/character heritage/historical abilities in many points. How in the world does Deathstroke have a chance against Wonder Woman, whom Batman coined, "the world's greatest melee fighter"? Does Wonder Woman, allegedly a goddess, not have any kind of defense against Circe? Is she really capable of being weakened to the point that Luthor in battle armor can hold her? Which then brings into account Batman...how can he be taken out so easily? Yes, he was just knocked over by essentially a dirty bomb's effects (but then Deathstroke should have been, too) & tied up by an allegedly unbreakable rope, but c'mon. And by Deathstroke, again. And where is the gauge of the magic of Shazam vs. the magic of the Green Lantern Corps? And can even a charged up Superman take down THE Black Adam that easily? Is the magic of Shazam in the same league or not w/ the Speed Force, which Flash can tap into? He took out GL & Flash way too easily.

Yep, there were some "wait a minute" moments in that trailer. We don't know though what has been going on during that epic fight. Diana should have easily destroyed Deathstroke and Adam should never have fallen to Supes so easily. Also the shazam lightning was shown to be like a nuke. Since when does it do that? Flash should have avoided the blast with ease. My biggest question though is where the hell was Captain Marvel?

Trelau

edit: hum seems like i'm responding to a message that's not here anymore...

Then again, this is the trailer for a MMO, and it's clearly not designed for children.
They're aiming at teenagers and young adults, and they don't need to be "protected" from anything in this trailer. The most "hardcore" part of the trailer was the kryptonite, and by 11 everyone as seen much worse than that (when i was 10 everyone in my school had played Counter strike at least once, and it's much more gruesome than that)

But i agree they're are trying a little too hard to make them grittier/more hardcase, and that they are a number of "oddity" (i think supes beating adam can be explained by his long absorbtion of solar radiation at close range for a long time...probably gave him a temporary power boost).
They're doing it for their targeted audience, and by the responses on the fan pages (facebook/myspace) they seem to have nailed it. the rest of the game is much more close to "normal" comics, less violent/graphical, so that's ok. It's just to try to attract non-comic crowd to the game, who maybe still think of it as "too kiddie";;;maybe, that's jssut speculation

JeyNyce

It's funny, we (as well as others) are talking about the trailer and how dark & gritty it is or why this is this and that is that, we have to remember that Luther when BACK IN TIME!  None of this would have happen yet, so you can make it as dark as you want it and kill everybody off, but if you play the time game, everything can go back to normal.

Trelau

Hey! i just though of something:
Brainiac is supposed to be the big bad because every time he invaded earth it was to collect sample and data on all the superbeing. He then used this data to become apparently unstopable (the trailer is a little vague on that matter...did he dupplicate their power? did he developped special tactic or made himself immune?)

And what is Luthor's solution? giving power to a lot more of people...Wouldn't that make things worse? Plus we know that brainiac invading earth will happen in game (it was one of the test mission at last years E3 if i'm not mistaken). So will he collect data on us? It seems like an incoherent plot, but maybe it's just me.

electro

Plus I don't trust Luthor at all - I don't believe him that he feels bad about how the future turns out - I think him & Brainiac are working together to destroy the Heroes - Giving regular people powers hopeing that power will corrupt to garantee this dark future - Or Lex is playing both sides & trying to come up with a sceem to come out on top - After all it's Lex's Legion who's killing our heroes in that future - Now I wanta play the game even more to see how this unfolds :blink:

Episode 6 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBiDGqBoxQ

JeyNyce

A friend of mine is in the beta and he is loving the game.  I guess I'm going to pick it up when it comes out, even if I just play it for the first month

bat1987

Beta has started? Did he get the VIP key from Comic Con, or just a regular beta key?

JeyNyce

Quote from: bat1987 on August 06, 2010, 08:43:44 AM
Beta has started? Did he get the VIP key from Comic Con, or just a regular beta key?

Regular beta key