News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Universe Online

Started by Midnite, January 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

It looks good, but I'm waiting for the extra something that will make it stand out from the others.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BWPS

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 06, 2009, 11:56:38 AM
It looks good, but I'm waiting for the extra something that will make it stand out from the others.
Not me, I think it looks great. And its for PS3!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, now with that second video, I see something that I really don't like.  That's essentially the same Star Labs mission as the one for heroes shown earlier.  There's no real difference.  Swap the heroes of one for their respective villains and make a slightly different way for converting the monsters into allies, and that's it.  Exact same mission otherwise.

This is very disappointing if this is the case with most or all missions.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

Then again Cat, it's still in Alpha and not due out until 2010.  Could be that's all that's playable at the moment.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

That is, of course, quite true.

Zapow

I actually was able to play their demo for about twenty minutes at SDCC.

According to the developer I talked with the build was early stages alpha. That said, as a long time COH player and beta tester, the build was very polished and playable. It looked very good, handled well with either controller or keyboard, and it was pretty fun. So far there are 160 DCU characters in the game and they are adding more as they go.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a good alpha and beta. The guy I spoke with said they are taking their time to get the game right.

Also, the reports that this game is PVP focused is flat out not true. I ran a mission in which the Joker was my contact and battled both Green Arrow and Wonder Woman at different points.
[img width=145 height=45]http://home.cogeco.ca/~gdaybloke/HB/hbanim.gif[/img]

"I hold to a simple philosophy: Just assume everyone's a piece of crap and then be pleasantly surprised if you find anyone who ain't." - Luke Cage

Lionheart

Quote from: Zapow on July 27, 2009, 04:15:59 AMAlso, the reports that this game is PVP focused is flat out not true. I ran a mission in which the Joker was my contact and battled both Green Arrow and Wonder Woman at different points.

Hopefully this is so. I'm one who has commented on it being pvp-focused -- from reading interviews with DCUO devs who said so. Note that they did not say PvP only, just focused. PvE always was part of the mix. But these interviews were very early on and could have simply been referring to the idea that PvP was *a* focus from the outset.

However, they did say *early on* that in some cases, PvP would be mandatory. That is, as a hero you might get a mission from Batman to stop a bank robbery, while someone else's villain character might have a mission from Joker to commit the robbery. PvP ensues. I wasn't sure at the time how this would work, since it requires both a hero character and a villain character to be available and somehow coordinated, but that's one scenario they put forth. I also thought it was odd because all of the initial gameplay videos I saw were PvE missions.

Maybe they received enough feedback on the idea to alter the initial concept or they were not clear with their intentions up front. It may have just been a muddle way of saying the PvP would be one focus up front, not the primary focus.

[edit] I just went back through the thread and found the quote that Midnite listed showing one statement concerning PvP being the focus of the game. If they've changed that concept -- the individual misspoke -- that would be great.

catwhowalksbyhimself

John Stewart's uniform looks very much like his TAS uniform.

BWPS

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 01, 2009, 10:08:05 AM
John Stewart's uniform looks very much like his TAS uniform.
Everything I've seen so far reminds me very much of the Superman/JL cartoons. Which is cool to me.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Midnite

Gamescon 09: DCUO Impressions

Quote...a surprising move, Wes confirmed that not only will there be no subscription fee for DC Universe Online, but that the game will feature completely platform-open servers; this means the servers will be cross-compatible between the PS3 and PC versions, no matter where you play. 

BWPS

How will that work? If they sell the game for $60 and then let people continue to play, how long will the servers stay? I guess it's possible that everything is mission based like Phantasy Star Online or Guild Wars (though I don't know anything about that) but that may work too. The game looks really good and its for PS3 which is a great plus for me because last time I upgraded my PC, my video card ended up exploding. Without some terrible reviews, I think this will definitely be the next MMO I try.

Midnite

Probably start charging players expansion content and micro transactions. I just hope they keep the cost low.

Trelau

no subscription fee??? ok that's it i'm buying that game.
by the way, i never played guild war and in the comment below the article people say they should have the same system than guild wars to make money: what was guild wars's way to make money? paying for update and quest? paying for item? advertisement in-game?

Marmeille

Guild Wars is(was) making money by coming up with new stand alone (yet compatible one with another) games every year or so, you have Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall, then they made the Eye of the North expansion that you need one of the 3 campaigns in order to play, they also sell extra character slot, inventory tabs, toon makeovers and PvP skill pack and stuff to make money.
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

JeyNyce

Quote from: Midnite on September 06, 2009, 04:46:19 PM
Gamescon 09: DCUO Impressions

Quote...a surprising move, Wes confirmed that not only will there be no subscription fee for DC Universe Online, but that the game will feature completely platform-open servers; this means the servers will be cross-compatible between the PS3 and PC versions, no matter where you play. 

If that is true, then I'm sold!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

NomadX

If the no subscription fee is true, I'll be buying this for my PS3. Also, it's nice that it's compatible with PC players.

captmorgan72

Yep, no subscription fee means a buy for me too. I love MMORPGs but don't want to pay $50 for them and then $15 a month on top of the $60 per month for Internet service. That's just way to much dough to play a game.

Tortuga

No subscription will come at its own cost, community-, support- and gameplay-wise, I'm guessing.

deano_ue

i'll believe it when i see it

Torch

I WANT to like this, but I'm not a big fan of the MMO 'grind'.  I hope they can make the main story and many of the side stories/quests interesting to play.  As well as make the game fun to adventure with a friend.

Trelau

I'mlloking for a quick update about this game: last time i checked, it was said to come out early 2010, now i find more forum talking about summer of 2010. was there an anoucement i'm not aware off? or is it still just speculation?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Guild Wars pulled it off, so why can't they?  The DCU has plenty of stories and characters to draw on for new expansion packs.  At any rate, I'm definitely in if there's no subscription fee.

captmorgan72

Yep, I was thinking about Guild Wars too. Arch Lord also but I got a email that game is going to be dead soon, if not already.

detourne_me

Arch Lord was pretty cool,  but really had a level cap if you were just going to play for free