News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Ext X-men: I see Apocalypse has been playing some Sim-city.Or maybe Dungeon Keeper.
New Avengers: I got a feeling Larry,Agent of AiM is gonna be a mini-series one of these days.Some familiar faces return.And a giant robot fights a kaiju.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenJMorse/status/723603974797033473
Somebody returns in Standoff: Omega.Richard Rider?Captain Mar-vell?Genis-vell,going by the Thunderbolts theme?That would be tricky,thou...
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on April 24, 2016, 05:08:30 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BenJMorse/status/723603974797033473
Somebody returns in Standoff: Omega.Richard Rider?Captain Mar-vell?Genis-vell,going by the Thunderbolts theme?That would be tricky,thou...

As much as I wish it was Richie Rider, it doesn't look like the Nova corps symbol.

HarryTrotter

Standoff is over.
Spoiler
It was Wendell Waughn.But hes there just to pass on his powers.Don't get too excited.
Red Skull decided to be a more classical terrorist.Bully for him,I guess.
In the end it was an okay event,from the pieces I did read.
Thunderbolts #1 next month.I wish I could say I was optimistic,but I really cant.  :(
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

The whole Mosaic.Its a head.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Talavar on April 30, 2016, 01:39:55 PM
Whose head though?
Mosaics?My theory is that its a characters name.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Empress #2 Hey look,mini Lando.  :)
X-men 92 #3 Council of multiversal Draculas.Thats pretty cool.
Punisher #1 If your familiar with Steve Dillons work on Punisher,you know what to expect.Thou its only 1 scene and Punisher is barely in it,so I cant really form an opinion.
Thunderbolts #1 Its like somebody dusted off an issues from 1992 and put it in print.I have to hand it to Malin,he can ape Rob Liefeld perfectly.Sadly,thats the best thing I can say about his artwork.Story isnt that much better either,They fight Shield agents in green armors to find some intel.Then there are some Inhuman cocoons(?) and Kobik kills a team member.Well,probably not... So in general  :thumbdown:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I'm not going to the shop until the weekend since that Free Comic Book Day, so I haven't actually read T-Bolts yet, but...

Inhumans...in My T-Bolts? It's more likely than you think!
I'm hoping they swap out Malin for somebody else, just about anybody else, as soon as they do most other books, because what I've seen just isn't appealing at all.
Really hope they didn't just kill an original T-Bolts character in the first issue (no, I don't know who it is, and there's no way in heck I'm looking it up before I read the issue). Talk about getting off on the wrong foot. Well, Fixer got trapped in a time loop in Parker's run and he came back from that so hopefully it won't stick.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well its either Inhuman cocoons,or the (God)Zilla eggs left from the 1998 movie.  :wacko:
I think the person in question survived.Not exactly a great start.
Btw,they have Mark Bagley around,why isnt he drawing this?
New Avengers #11 New New Avengers?There is this solitary issue between Standoff and Civil War 2.1 issue between 2 events.Seriously?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

No, it's more Inhuman B.S. they outright say it in later solicits.
Re: Bagley: Apparently they didn't want the Thunderbolts comic with a nostalgic roster to git gud.
Re: New Avengers: In all fairness, the Standoff issues didn't have that much to do with Standoff. They were mostly moving the New Avengers along, so I'm actually kinda ok about it. They needed to get back to Wiccan and co eventually anyway.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

It was more of a comment on how often events happen.And since when is Scarlet Witch all New Age and super relaxed? XD
Getting real sick of Inhumans now.Other heroes in the MU seemed to have accepted them suprisingly well.Considering the whole thing with eugenics,caste system and slavery.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Just finish reading Amazing Spider-man and here is what I figured out:

Civil War 1 happen and Peter helped Tony create the Iron Spider suit
Tony doesn't know that Peter is Spider-man, in fact the only person who knows is MJ
Tony Stark has heard of Peter, but doesn't know him personally

So this is how Marvel is cleaning up One More Day and Civil War

A quick video review of the book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffZ0jM1kX4
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

kkhohoho

Quote from: JeyNyce on May 05, 2016, 12:37:30 PM
Just finish reading Amazing Spider-man and here is what I figured out:

Civil War 1 happen and Peter helped Tony create the Iron Spider suit
Tony doesn't know that Peter is Spider-man, in fact the only person who knows is MJ
Tony Stark has heard of Peter, but doesn't know him personally

So this is how Marvel is cleaning up One More Day and Civil War

A quick video review of the book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffZ0jM1kX4

The only way they can clean up Civil War and One More Day is to nuke them off the face of the Earth. It's the only way to be sure.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Did One More Day happen?Im confused.
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

Both One More Day and Sins Past need to be undone/never acknowledged.

Tomato

See, I actually was under the impression that the ONE good thing OMD did was retcon Sins Past out of continuity until recently. But nope, they brought up Gabriel in a post Dark Avengers storyline, so it's still completely canon  <_<

What bothers me about that most is that, there's SUCH an easy fix here that lets writers expunge the icky topic of Osborn and Gwen having kids, without removing the fundamental conflict Gabriel represents. We know Osborn was involved with Miles Warren, and that he was the one responsible for the Clone saga. Now, he had access to Gwen's DNA because of Warren, so what if the whole "Oh yeah, I banged your old girlfriend" was something he had on the backburner, just to mess with Peter's mind. Gabriel is still Norman and Gwen's son, at least in terms of DNA, but it would explain why he and his sister had rapidly aged, AND still permanently removed the implication that Gwen would have EVER slept with Norman Osborn.

As for OMD... I don't want that story ignored, because I feel like that's the lazy option, and that's what we're doing anyway. What I'd like to see, if we're not going to outdo it outright, is to have it acknowledged and dealt with properly. No story, however awful, is unsalvageable. A good writer can take something stupid and make something good out of it. What *I* want is for Peter to take proper responsibility for the deal he made.

Silver Shocker

There was a visual gag on the cover of the latest Spider-Man/Deadpool, #4, where they're at a restaurant and Spidey's got a note on the table: "call me: 555-0666". Now there is a good reason for that in the story, but when I first saw that I thought it was a joke about One More Day.

I'd rather see it dealt with in the comics too.  Preferably written by just about anyone other than Dan Slott or Joe Quesada. The problem I have is they like to do this thing where they refuse to do the story everyone wants them to tell for years, then when they do decide to do it, they exploit that by trumpeting it as a big event as if they ever cared what the fans wanted. They did it with One Moment in Time, they did it with Renew Your Vows, they did it with the arc of Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy that showed what happened after Thanos Imperative, and DC did it with Stephanie Brown aka Spoiler.
~Rocky Balboa

GhostMachine

Quote from: Tomato on May 06, 2016, 12:09:11 AM
See, I actually was under the impression that the ONE good thing OMD did was retcon Sins Past out of continuity until recently. But nope, they brought up Gabriel in a post Dark Avengers storyline, so it's still completely canon  <_<

What bothers me about that most is that, there's SUCH an easy fix here that lets writers expunge the icky topic of Osborn and Gwen having kids, without removing the fundamental conflict Gabriel represents. We know Osborn was involved with Miles Warren, and that he was the one responsible for the Clone saga. Now, he had access to Gwen's DNA because of Warren, so what if the whole "Oh yeah, I banged your old girlfriend" was something he had on the backburner, just to mess with Peter's mind. Gabriel is still Norman and Gwen's son, at least in terms of DNA, but it would explain why he and his sister had rapidly aged, AND still permanently removed the implication that Gwen would have EVER slept with Norman Osborn.

As for OMD... I don't want that story ignored, because I feel like that's the lazy option, and that's what we're doing anyway. What I'd like to see, if we're not going to outdo it outright, is to have it acknowledged and dealt with properly. No story, however awful, is unsalvageable. A good writer can take something stupid and make something good out of it. What *I* want is for Peter to take proper responsibility for the deal he made.

No, I want Sins Past ignored, not explained away or retconned out. Sins Past actually takes some retconning to even be viable, because JMS has no sense of how time passes in comics. When Gwen went away, she was actually gone for a short period of time - something like a few weeks - not long enough to have conceived and given birth to children. Also, the whole thing creates two problems: 1. It gives more motivation for Norman having killed Gwen, when none was needed. and 2. It makes Gwen a heck of a lot less of a sympathetic character.

If they do have to have it in continuity, then yes, I'd like it explained away with it not actually being Gwen....and with both twins being killed off, if they haven't been already.

Tomato

Except they aren't ignoring it. They brought Gabriel (the male twin) back and gave him this weird jekyll and hyde thing, where he would do stuff like kidnap Harry as the Gray Goblin, but then freed him as American Son... basically making him the new Harry Osborn while the actual Harry is on the straight and narrow working for Parker industries. It's not awful, in and of itself... it's just that it does mean Sins Past is still technically canon, which is frustrating. Again, my preferred solution is to make it all a revenge plot by Norman... Explain the two away as clones made from Norman and Gwen's DNA (and the rest of it as Norman messing with Peter), so writers can have their "forgotten son of Norman Osborn" cake and the rest of us can all stop thinking of Norman and Gwen producing kids.

HarryTrotter

Actually,JMS operated on some weird meta timeline in which 50 years did pass,but Peter never aged.Or thats the feeling I got.
His run started really good,but went downhill more and more.And the September 11 issue...
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-goes-on-mutant-kill-spree-promising-not-a-dry-eye-in-the-house/
Variant covers are all the rage these days.Ones for Death of X feature X-men being killed.Like,Nightcrawler is being burned at a stake.Lovely...

Remember that FCDB CW2 leak thing?It was the real thing.100% the real thing.Bendis.  :banghead:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yep, I got it on FCBD and read it. At least the art was pretty, but then it's Jim Cheung. He can phone it in (and I think he did) and the end result will still be in excess of 99% of Marvel's artistic output these days. I'll be honest, by the time I read the actual comic I kinda forgot what some of the things we already decided were stupid were.

The Wasp story was fine for what it was. The art was by Alan Davis, can't complain there. It's was a tease of course, not much of a story.

Didn't get the Spidey/Cap book cuz they were all out. Read spoilers online. Meh.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

^Jackal is back?Again?Hes probably the one "reviving" people.And Slott does like him.

Honestly I thought there will be a last minut script change in CW2 prologue.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Why would there be? I don't think they have a tendency to do that. The only instance I can recall is an issue of Abnett and Lanning's Nova featuring the Thunderbolts, which had a small dialogue change between the preview and the released issue. I did like the change though.

See, Marvel's always stood by Bendis and let him do what he wants, see, it's not a "bug", it's a "feature". Changing the story would an admission that Bendis' work was bad.

Quote from: Tomato on May 06, 2016, 04:11:40 AM
Except they aren't ignoring it. They brought Gabriel (the male twin) back and gave him this weird jekyll and hyde thing, where he would do stuff like kidnap Harry as the Gray Goblin, but then freed him as American Son... basically making him the new Harry Osborn while the actual Harry is on the straight and narrow working for Parker industries. It's not awful, in and of itself... it's just that it does mean Sins Past is still technically canon, which is frustrating.

While that is true, that story came out in 2010, and to my knowledge Gabriel hasn't made so much as a cameo since. That sounds like ignoring it to me.

~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,it was leaked,so I expected some script changes because of that.Just to mess with the readers.But I guess it wouldnt matter anyway.
-Spirits of my ancestors,let me not barf in my mask.
-Son of a...
And why does everyone writen by Bendis sound the same?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on May 11, 2016, 05:00:31 AM
Well,it was leaked,so I expected some script changes because of that.Just to mess with the readers.But I guess it wouldnt matter anyway.
-Spirits of my ancestors,let me not barf in my mask.
-Son of a...
And why does everyone writen by Bendis sound the same?

Apparently, he won't write down so much as a single sentence unless it 'rolls on the tongue.' If if this means that he won't write characters unless they sound exactly the same, than I guess it make sense. <_<
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Doesnt matter if your a king or Sorcerer Supreme,they all talk "street".Spiderman,Son of Satan,same thing... XD

I rechecked Terror Inc. And Terror did have a metal hand.Cant believe I forgot the whole series...
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: Spade on May 11, 2016, 03:09:07 PM
Doesn't matter if you're a king or Sorcerer Supreme,they all talk "street". Spiderman,Son of Satan,same thing... XD

That makes them edgy and "cool".  If you believe that, I have some swampland you will be interested in, and a beautiful bridge...

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on May 11, 2016, 04:51:14 PM
Quote from: Spade on May 11, 2016, 03:09:07 PM
Doesn't matter if you're a king or Sorcerer Supreme,they all talk "street". Spiderman,Son of Satan,same thing... XD

That makes them edgy and "cool".  If you believe that, I have some swampland you will be interested in, and a beautiful bridge...
To me,it makes them all look like the same person wearing different costumes,but okay...Im not a comic book writer,what do I know...
Jon Farmer