News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

I might have mentioned that,but the change of artist was welcome.I like Marcus To for now.I think his artwork kinda fits better here.
Don't get me wrong,I have nothing against Sandoval,just IMO his artwork was a bit rushed here.
I did read the first volume of Young Avengers,but not the second series.No reason,it just didn't click with me.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Here's the thing about that (which I went over on here a months back:

Spoiler
Doc Ock's consciousness is stored inside the robot called The Living Brain. I assume this was the countermeasure Doc Ock put in place during the events of Spider-Verse, which he appeared in as Inferior Spider-Man via time travel. That wasn't even the first backdoor Slott left open for Ock's return; At point near the end of Inferior (I don't remember exactly when, and I don't care enough to look it up), we are shown that someone had dug up Doc Ock's corpse and stole it from the cemetery. To my knowledge this plot point has not come up again, and last I checked the Ock/Living Brain plot hasn't really been moved forward much (Slott tends to go all over the place when it comes to setting up and developing subplots. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Robert Kirkman on both Invincible and Marvel Team Up, now that I think of it.)

So while Doc Ock's mind is currently alive, his significance in "Dead No More" could very easily refer to his actual human body being brought back to life. This isn't even the first time that happened. He was killed by Kaine during the Clone Saga in the nineties and was brought back in the late 90s (I don't remember the details, it was either magic or advanced technology).

Speaking of Dan Slott's Spider-Man, I've been keeping track of how much of "Renew Your Vows" had been added to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited and I noticed a week or two ago that they have the whole thing now. I might read it sometime in the near future (I'm currently reading the early issues of Duggan's Deadpool, and I often read during shows like Flash and Arrow since my compy is near the tv) and I do and I have anything interesting to say about it I'll chime in here. If nothing else I hear Slott actually did a good job with the family man Peter and MJ stuff and Regent has been somewhat relevant in the current volume.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I guess thats the only possible revival.

Duggans Deadpool is so-so for me.He started strong with Dead Presidents,but trailed off as time went by.Current series is okay.I liked the Mercs,but confusion over who killed DPs parents annoyed me a little.

Also talked about it,but I donts see how RYW reinvigorated Spider-man as some say.Pretty average story IMO.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

daglob

Maybe Marvel is going to bring back every character who ever died in the Marvel Universe... :rolleyes:

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on March 31, 2016, 02:38:51 PM
Maybe Marvel is going to bring back every character who ever died in the Marvel Universe... :rolleyes:
But Electro,Lizard and Rhino are still alive.(Well Rhino 2 is dead)
We dont know who is Scarlet Spider,but Kaine is also presumed alive.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Well he was shown alive at the end of Spider-Verse, right? I think he was in a different dimension though.
Oddly enough, characters being previously dead was a important plot point in Blackest Night.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

New Avengers #9 American Kaiju,the lovechild of Nuke and Godzilla.That was hilarious.

Empress #1 That was pretty good actually.Somewhat in vein of Millars Starlight.And there are dinosaurs.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Death of X: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/10/marvel-comics-massively-discounts-all-its-x-men-tpbs-and-hcs-for-death-of-x-sale/

We're getting another big X-Men event this fall, which might just seem like business as usual, but there's a little snag this time around. Apparently, Marvel is doing their best to clear out their warehouse of any and all X-related titles, with TPB's getting very large discounts for retailers who wish to help them do so.

I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means...
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Doubt that they would shut down X-men like they did the FF.Sales are strong and there is a movie coming up.Ofc,we know that movies dont really affect the comic sales,but Marvel doesnt.
Guessing here,but the event might  be a sequel to the Age of X.
Jon Farmer

daglob

The death of Professor X?

kkhohoho

Quote from: daglob on April 11, 2016, 01:42:03 PM

He's already dead. I'm thinking more of the death of the X-Men in general more than anything else. (Unfortunately.)

daglob

Quote from: kkhohoho on April 11, 2016, 02:40:35 PM

He's already dead. I'm thinking more of the death of the X-Men in general more than anything else. (Unfortunately.)

Shows you how well I keep up.

kkhohoho

Quote from: daglob on April 11, 2016, 04:32:19 PM
Quote from: kkhohoho on April 11, 2016, 02:40:35 PM

Shows you how well I keep up.

It's not like you're missing much. Do you know how Professor X was killed? By a Phoenix possessed Cyclops, that's how. Who is now a hated pariah by just about everyone despite it not really being his fault.

There's a reason I don't read modern Big Two comics these days...

HarryTrotter

I follow and raise. :)
Cyclops is also dead after doing something so horrible that nobody is saying what it is.
Presumably trying to kill Inhumans.
But X-men '92 was good.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

As you probably heard by now-Civil War 2 FCBD was leaked on 4chan.Its way dumber then anyone imagined.It could be fake,but its too Bendis-ian to be fake.
Spoiler
Rhodey and Carol kiss,Black Pather wants to throw up.Then Inhumans show up.Then Thanos shows up wielding a liefeldian gun.Carol tells him hes under arrest.Seriously.A stray rocket hits She-Hulk and she goes down saying ''Son of a...'' War Machine just stands confused and Thanos kills him.Then other heroes get mad and beat up Thanos.
My brain hurts. :thumbdown:
New Wasp is
Spoiler
Nadia.Which is a Russian variation of Hope.
I mean,who saw that coming? :rolleyes:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I knew NOTHINK.

That being said, I read the fake spoilers. Poe's Law is in full effect. That could be the actual plot, but it also sounds like a parody of some of Bendis' worst, most underwhelming traits, and an example of how un-suited he is to the big, cosmic Avengery Avengers stuff. If it is accurate though, then I'd say Bendis hasn't gotten any better at writing Avengers since his Avengers run ended.

Now, a few months ago there was also a troll-tastic set of fake X-Men spoilers on 4Chan, which included Morph being the mystery X-Men character to join Uncanny Avengers, with a redesign to look like the 90's cartoon version of the characters, while the Young X-Men became villains and terrorists because they were duped or something. It sounded absolutely dreadful and thankfully didn't happen (though the cameo in that issue of Uncanny Avengers wasn't much better, and yes, that's yet another topic I'd been meaning to bring up for a while)

Actually, regarding New Wasp, that was already revealed in a preview book that came out last week (we didn't learn her name there though).
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I dont mean the plot has leaked.The entire comic has leaked.Complete scan of the comic is online.
Doubt anyone would go thru so much trouble of faking it.
Jon Farmer

trebean

Quote from: Spade on April 12, 2016, 05:53:35 AM
As you probably heard by now-Civil War 2 FCBD was leaked on 4chan.Its way dumber then anyone imagined.It could be fake,but its too Bendis-ian to be fake.
Spoiler
Rhodey and Carol kiss,Black Pather wants to throw up.Then Inhumans show up.Then Thanos shows up wielding a liefeldian gun.Carol tells him hes under arrest.Seriously.A stray rocket hits She-Hulk and she goes down saying ''Son of a...'' War Machine just stands confused and Thanos kills him.Then other heroes get mad and beat up Thanos.
My brain hurts. :thumbdown:
New Wasp is
Spoiler
Nadia.Which is a Russian variation of Hope.
I mean,who saw that coming? :rolleyes:
It has leaked, I was in that thread. It was hilariously bad. and yes as Han Solo has said in TFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9tIwYd-8M

trebean

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 12, 2016, 07:21:45 AM
I knew NOTHINK.

That being said, I read the fake spoilers. Poe's Law is in full effect. That could be the actual plot, but it also sounds like a parody of some of Bendis' worst, most underwhelming traits, and an example of how un-suited he is to the big, cosmic Avengery Avengers stuff. If it is accurate though, then I'd say Bendis hasn't gotten any better at writing Avengers since his Avengers run ended.

Now, a few months ago there was also a troll-tastic set of fake X-Men spoilers on 4Chan, which included Morph being the mystery X-Men character to join Uncanny Avengers, with a redesign to look like the 90's cartoon version of the characters, while the Young X-Men became villains and terrorists because they were duped or something. It sounded absolutely dreadful and thankfully didn't happen (though the cameo in that issue of Uncanny Avengers wasn't much better, and yes, that's yet another topic I'd been meaning to bring up for a while)

Actually, regarding New Wasp, that was already revealed in a preview book that came out last week (we didn't learn her name there though).

I'm betting that you're referring to the one that had the Future Seeing Inhuman was named Homer right? Yeah it's pretty dead close outside of the Inhuman not being named Homer.... I bet Marvel's feeling high and mighty now that they proved those spoilers wrong right? It's not Homer, it's actually ULYSSES :D not that that codename/name makes more friggin sense.

HarryTrotter

Ulysses is the roman name for  Odysseus,which Homer wrote.So there is that motif.
I guess they realized most people will think of Homer Simpson,rather the the Greek poet.  :)
in the meantime,Bendis denied that a leak was possible,since the comic wasn't lettered yet.
So somebody had access to finished pages and wrote a fake script?If that's the story he's sticking with...
Jon Farmer

trebean

Quote from: Spade on April 12, 2016, 03:02:45 PM
Ulysses is the roman name for  Odysseus,which Homer wrote.So there is that motif.
I guess they realized most people will think of Homer Simpson,rather the the Greek poet.  :)
in the meantime,Bendis denied that a leak was possible,since the comic wasn't lettered yet.
So somebody had access to finished pages and wrote a fake script?If that's the story he's sticking with...

CIVIL WAR 2 #0 isn't lettered however CIVIL WAR FCBD #1 is. It was the latter that's leaked.

EDIT:

Don't worry, a lot of people were confused too. Yes Civil War 2 #0 is a separate book that launches alongside DC's Rebirth #1 guess what I'm getting *hint it has 80 pages and costs $3*

HarryTrotter

That's what I said in the first post.FCBD issue was leaked.Yes,it requires 2 prequels for some reason.
However I don't know what issue was Bendis referring to.
Speaking of Rebirth,you know how DC is having a midnight sale on may 24?Well,Marvel is also.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/07/marvel-comics-also-to-allow-midnight-sales-on-may-24th/
Thou ,I believe Comixology has the titles after midnight anyway,so they are not really gaining much anyway.
Jon Farmer

trebean

Quote from: Spade on April 12, 2016, 04:08:52 PM
That's what I said in the first post.FCBD issue was leaked.Yes,it requires 2 prequels for some reason.
However I don't know what issue was Bendis referring to.
Speaking of Rebirth,you know how DC is having a midnight sale on may 24?Well,Marvel is also.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/07/marvel-comics-also-to-allow-midnight-sales-on-may-24th/
Thou ,I believe Comixology has the titles after midnight anyway,so they are not really gaining much anyway.
Yeah, that's a pretty sly move stealing someone's thunder but hey, all the better for us. It's not like I have to go the midnight release, when I can just ask my LCS to keep it for me (Even so since LCS here in my area are located in malls which close down at 10PM). Still, maybe once the consumers see that DC releasing a $3 80 pager among Marvel's $4 and $5 books (Yeah, they no longer have any books on their main line at $3 last I checked) maybe they'll finally realize that comics could be a lot more cheaper and that Marvel pushing that "Special Issue Price" to $6 (Which seems to be the way with Civil War 2 #1 being $6) and $10 is pretty insane and expensive and will just hurt the industry more. I want to get my friends into comics but I doubt I will when they see it's around $4 to $5 a pop.

HarryTrotter

We already discussed the state of industry several times,so I got nothing new to say.
To return to earlier discussion about Death of X-despite everything,I doubt they would actually kill all mutants.Because that would require canceling 4 titles + possibly AN Wolverine and Uncanny Avengers.Canceling 4 to 6 titles that sell reasonably well?They are not stupid.Well,that stupid.Oh,and Old Man Logan.So 4 to 7 titles.
Still think its a sequel to Age of X.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

Venom, Deadpool and Man-Thing. Who is the other one?

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer