News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

https://imgur.com/a/lCHcq
Bendis sparks another contraversy.Its hard to tell was he taking a jab at fans or Marvel.Btw,in-universe bystanders seem to quote internet comments a lot recently.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'd like to see what some of the other examples are, but that wouldn't surprise me.

If it is a jab at fans, that's not entirely new. Post OMD Spidey took jabs at and quoted internet comments quite a few times. Of course, pretty much all of them just made the creators themselves look like antagonistic jerks.

Was there ever a scene like this in the Ultimate run with Miles?

Funny thing is, Spidey claimed to be black in an early issue of Dan Slott's She-Hulk. Mind you, he only said that to screw with Jameson, and we didn't get to find out how many people believed it or cared (though Jameson did get immediately defensive).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

IIRC during the fake Spider-man arc in Ultimate,a bystander comments how she always imagined Spidey as white,but now she thinks that was racist of her.
But I guess it shouldnt really matter to the people in-universe.If somebody is saving your life,why do you care who it is?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/140357163692/i-love-what-you-do-with-miles-i-always-have-but
Bendis takes to tumblr.And this time...he kinda has a point?
Well,as usual,both sides are taking this too far and too seriously.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-jean-grey-teases-phoenix-force-in-new-civil-war-ii-image
Phoenix is in Civil War 2?So the whole thing is about an Inhuman who can predict the future,and half of heroes want to use that power to punish people for the crimes they will commit?Minority report meets Civil War.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Re: Bendis: I just read that tumblr post, meant to do it earlier than forgot. My thoughts:

Yes, he has a point. An admirable one at that, but his bedside manner needs some work. Because He's Bendis, I'm not sure he can say anything without me being tempted to disagree with it because of his candor.

"You don't know who I run my &*%^ by". Then WHY DO YOU GET SO MUCH WRONG B? WHY DO YOU GET SO MUCH WRONG?

The nice thing about opinions on the internet, is you never have to agree 100% percent with it. Good thing too, because some of the things Bendis says in his post make me to break them down and rant about it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

I have to agree with Bendis on this one.  The story just started so we don't know what to expect.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

It could be that Marvel is just the most exosed company right now,but this kinda a stuff happens to them a lot.From Havocs speech,Icemans akward outing,whole mess over hip-hop covers,rumors about Nathan Edmonson.They can urine off internet every week,it seems.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Interesting development in Uncanny Avengers, the latest installment in Standoff:

Spoiler
The team encounters Maria Hill leaving outside Pleasant Hill, then at at the end of the issue encounter a second Maria Hill. Now the real question is, which one was the one who be trollin' in the earlier issues?
Not as good as the Nick Spencer issues, but does move the story forward a little bit.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

LMDs?
Btw,werent Dark Riders killed by Wolverine in their last apperance in his series?How did Deadbolt glued his head back on?I guess that shouldnt have killed him in the first place.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on March 11, 2016, 06:04:42 AM
Btw,werent Dark Riders killed by Wolverine in their last apperance in his series?How did Deadbolt glued his head back on?I guess that shouldnt have killed him in the first place.

If Mr. Sinister can clone his Marauders to have backups.. I'm pretty sure that Apocalypse has his own spare clones for his enforcers as well even if these are apparently going rogue to do their masters mission since there is no active Apocalypse.. yet.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

:doh: Clones,ofc.
Considering that Apocalypse is making a comeback next week,they might not have been working alone.
Well,3 Apocalypses,to be exact.You would expect the Uncanny Avengers to also be involved,but they are busy with Standoff.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/axel-in-charge-introducing-x-men-to-civil-war-mark-millars-icon-return?utm_campaign=axel-in-charge-introducing-the-x-men-to-civil-war-mark-millars-i&utm_medium=email&utm_source=breaking_bulletin
Axel in charge-hes super excited about everything.To show people Marvel cares,X-men will have a bigger role in Civil War.Its a mini series by Cullen Bunn where they fight Inhumans,and each other ofc.Also there is some talk about Millars movie pitch,er,comic Empress.Where he deconstructs the space opera genre.Yey...
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on March 15, 2016, 06:12:22 AM
\Axel in charge-hes super excited about everything.To show people Marvel cares,X-men will have a bigger role in Civil War.Its a mini series by Cullen Bunn where they fight Inhumans,and each other ofc.Also there is some talk about Millars movie pitch,er,comic Empress.Where he deconstructs the space opera genre.Yey...

Is it too much to ask that Marvel just, you know, stop having their heroes fight each other every few years and instead just fight other villains? Pretty please? (With sugar on top?)

HarryTrotter

Its Civil War 2.By Brian Michael Bendis.Avengers will probably end up worst then X-men.Best Avengers moments according to Bendis: Avengers defeating Michael Korvac,and Ultron.
-Hey,remember when we failed to stop Ultron from killing a whole country?
-Yeah,good times.
Also,that reminds me,Doctor Strange is kind of a jerk.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

It astonishes me that Bendis is still allowed to write comics.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on March 15, 2016, 06:46:03 PM
Its Civil War 2.By Brian Michael Bendis.Avengers will probably end up worst then X-men.Best Avengers moments according to Bendis: Avengers defeating Michael Korvac,and Ultron.
-Yeah,good times.

-Hey, remember when we all fricking died in trying and ultimatly failing to beat Korvac, and were only just barely saved due to his girlfriend turning on him at the last minute?
-Yeah, good times.

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 15, 2016, 08:14:49 PM

Hey now; Bendis isn't a complete hack. ;) His runs on Daredevil and Jessica Jones were actually pretty darn good, and I've heard good things about his Ultimate Spiderman. His X-Men run wasn't even that bad.

The problem Bendis ultimately has though is that he doesn't realy 'get' larger scale Superhero books. He's fine with street books and the like, but if you take him above that, he just can't seem to tell a compelling story. And it isn't just that he can't handle cosmic-scale situations, no; it's that, beyond possibly the X-Men, he doesn't know how to handle actual teams. He can't give most of his characters unique voices that seperate them apart, because he refuses to write any dialouge that doesn't 'roll off the tounge', even if a certain character should probally be speaking in a specific way instead of as if they're having a casual chat at a BBQ. And partly because of this, his Avengers ended up wisecraking nearly every goshdarn second instead of having actual meaningful conversations that either promoted character development or actually dealt with the problem at hand. Because of all of this, even though a given story in his Avengers or the like should by all rights be a mighty epic, it just doesn't have the scale to support it, nor will he make us care about his characters enough so that we give a darn about what's happening. In fiction, it isn't enough that the world's at stake; we also need to care about who's actually saving it. And in big team books like Avengers, Bendis just isn't able to make us care.

Talavar

Quote from: kkhohoho on March 16, 2016, 01:32:07 AM
Quote from: Spade on March 15, 2016, 06:46:03 PM
-Yeah,good times.

-Hey, remember when we all fricking died in trying and ultimatly failing to beat Korvac, and were only just barely saved due to his girlfriend turning on him at the last minute?
-Yeah, good times.

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 15, 2016, 08:14:49 PM

Hey now; Bendis isn't a complete hack. ;) His runs on Daredevil and Jessica Jones were actually pretty darn good, and I've heard good things about his Ultimate Spiderman. His X-Men run wasn't even that bad.

The problem Bendis ultimately has though is that he doesn't realy 'get' larger scale Superhero books. He's fine with street books and the like, but if you take him above that, he just can't seem to tell a compelling story. And it isn't just that he can't handle cosmic-scale situations, no; it's that, beyond possibly the X-Men, he doesn't know how to handle actual teams. He can't give most of his characters unique voices that seperate them apart, because he refuses to write any dialouge that doesn't 'roll off the tounge', even if a certain character should probally be speaking in a specific way instead of as if they're having a casual chat at a BBQ. And partly because of this, his Avengers ended up wisecraking nearly every goshdarn second instead of having actual meaningful conversations that either promoted character development or actually dealt with the problem at hand. Because of all of this, even though a given story in his Avengers or the like should by all rights be a mighty epic, it just doesn't have the scale to support it, nor will he make us care about his characters enough so that we give a darn about what's happening. In fiction, it isn't enough that the world's at stake; we also need to care about who's actually saving it. And in big team books like Avengers, Bendis just isn't able to make us care.

This is exactly the case!  I agree 100%, and have thought similarly about him.  It's like the office worker getting promoted out of a job they're great at until they end up in a job they're terrible at.  If you'll forgive a few years dated tv reference, Bendis is the Michael Scott of comic books.

HarryTrotter

His Ultimate Spider-man is one of the two runs that introduced me to Spidey in the first place,and its really good.Just like you all said,he cant handle teams very well.Thing and Carol are discussing Ghostbusters in the middle of the fight,Doctor Strange is in an alternate dimension,Iron fist in another alternate dimension,Spider-man and Wolverine are there to sell the book;and nobody knows whats going on.
His X-men were so-so at best.His writing of Cyclops is one thing I liked.Im surprised they haven't promoted Bendis into editor by now.
-Once I start remembering Avengers Disassembled,I just cant stop...Correct me if Im wrong,but wasn't Michael Korvac a good guy who got killed because of poor communication on Avengers part?Thou I believe it was later retconed as him being evil from the start?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I always liked his Ultimate Spider-Man (though there's years of it I haven't read) and the only problem I ever remember having with it was the pacing. Some of those issues man....I swear they took about 5 to 10 minutes to read. A lot of it was written for the trade. Honestly that might be my biggest issue with Bendis of all. For all his shaky dialogue and characterization, his dubious takes on continuity, and his often anti-climatic superpowered fights that should be more epic....the pace leaves you unsatisfied a lot of the time. You often don't feel like you got your money's worth (I read the vast majority of Bendis' Avengers run on Marvel's digital comics service, which is just a flat rate per month, so I was fine on that front)
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So Daredevil wants to stop Punisher from killing a guy,so he could stand trial and get the death sentence.And Punisher is trying to kill a guy who will probably get the death sentence.I guess irony is lost on these people.
Ext X-men #8 I guess the previews lied to us.
Spoiler
Forge is back.So is No-Girl.After a confrontation with Sugarman(pretty clever plan for him,I have to say),X-men tumble into the future where Colossus is Apocalypse with Deadpool,Moon Knight and Man-thing(?)Venom as his Horsemen.
Also,you would expect people to stop asking Doctor Strange for help at this point,but...
That actually went a bit better then I expected.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/16/international-iron-man-doesnt-know-much-about-geography-or-history/
Speaking of Bendis...Tony went to Cambridge university,in London.And they had Google back in '96.Man,Franklin really screwed up when he recreated the world.
Also,I belive that was Venom,not Man-thing as one of the Horsmen.My mistake.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I was going to say, both articles I saw on the subject (CBR's and IGN'S) both said it was Venom, and I'd say it looks more like Venom than Man-Thing.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Spoiler
In my defense,it isnt easy to tell who it is.Maybe its Man-thing with Venom symbiote.Venom-Thing? :)

Is Colossus the new Apocalypse,or is he Death,actually?Now,I assume Death.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Spoiler
Is that Moon Knight?  Moon Knight as a Horesemen would be awesome
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Yes,but I dont think its Mark Spector.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/18/exclusive-mary-jane-dons-iron-spider-armor-on-amazing-spider-man

Didn't see that coming. In the same vein as Agent Venom, Mary Jane is apparently becoming the second Iron Spider, and it's looking likely that she'll be on Tony's team during Civil War II. This also means that with Spidey already on Team Carol, the two of them will likely be on opposite sides, continuing Marvel's vaunted efforts to smash the pairs' relationship into the ground.

WHY?!

HarryTrotter

I kinda confused why Spiderman supports Carol in the first place?Because hes jealous,I guess?Also I dont see why Captain America(Steve) supports Carol.Other then to have Cap vs Iron Man again.And She-Hulk?Im just curious why are these people supporting Minority report side?
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: kkhohoho on March 18, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
http://comicbook.com/2016/03/18/exclusive-mary-jane-dons-iron-spider-armor-on-amazing-spider-man

Didn't see that coming. In the same vein as Agent Venom, Mary Jane is apparently becoming the second Iron Spider, and it's looking likely that she'll be on Tony's team during Civil War II. This also means that with Spidey already on Team Carol, the two of them will likely be on opposite sides, continuing Marvel's vaunted efforts to smash the pairs' relationship into the ground.

WHY?!

Perhaps these people don't have any personal relationships to use as a basis? I would hope that thy don't have one as convoluted, disappointing, and sad as most of the ones I hear about in the comics today.

Hmmm... and I did an Iron Spider-Woman...