News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

That kinda did happen in AXIS.He became ZenPool.

Which reminds me,Spiderman/Deadpool was actually pretty funny.Wish Joe Kelly would become a regular DP writer again.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah I actually read that a few days ago (got caught up on all my new comics lately) and I enjoyed it. I meant to bring it up here but forgot. It was funny but man was it crude. Almost the whole thing was innuendo and toilet humor.

When promoting the series Marvel said the first issue ended with a big twist and I gotta say it didn't disappoint. It's got a great premise:

Spoiler
Deadpool has been hired to assassinate Peter Parker. That should be pretty fun to see.

Oh yeah I also read the first print issue of Deadpool & Cable: Split Second. Really enjoyed it. Loved the Liefeld flashback and of course, Deadpool and Cable's banter.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Agreed.Its like they tried to make every sentence a joke.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesnt.
Deadpool: Cable,back just the way his fans like him.All four of them.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Todays teaser.Wasp is alive,I belive?Somebody related?Eric O'Grady?
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on January 14, 2016, 06:38:33 PM
Todays teaser.Wasp is alive,I belive?Somebody related?Eric O'Grady?

I'm thinking they found a way to work in Yellowjacket's Ant-Man movie look using Eric O'Grady resurrection in a post-Secret Wars universe (based on the color scheme).

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/134232-marvels-free-comic-book-day-brings-civil-war-2-an-all-new-wasp.html
Marvels FCBD introduced All New All Different Wasp.Im guessing its Hope,to go along with the movies.And I guess that shows who the teasers were about.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/134251-oblivious-to-looming-industry-doom-marvel-releases-april-2016-solicitations.html
4 crossovers!
Apocalypse Wars
War-machines
Standoff
Spiderwomen
This has really gonne too far.Also Spiderman and Silk travel thru time and meet Uncle Ben.So he does come back.Kinda.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/134251-oblivious-to-looming-industry-doom-marvel-releases-april-2016-solicitations.html
4 crossovers!
Apocalypse Wars
War-machines
Standoff
Spiderwomen
This has really gonne too far.Also Spiderman and Silk travel thru time and meet Uncle Ben.So he does come back.Kinda.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Thunderbolts is back! Injustice, Like Lightning!

:thumbup:

Looking forward to finding out more about this! Loves me some old-school Thunderbolts! Is Fixer coming back? Why is there no sword in the spot where Citizen V's silhouette would be? Who are the new Thunderbolts going to be? Who's the creative team going to be?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Yes!Some good news.
I think Fabian Nicieza might be returning,because he recently mentioned he has some Marvel projects in the future.It would be great if Mark Bagley would be the artist.
And after Standoff Steve Rodgers is young again and Captain America again.With a new ongoing by Nick Spencer.Suprise!
Jon Farmer

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Spade on January 13, 2016, 06:13:29 AM

Marvels newest teaser.Are they talking about somebody short,hairy and Canadian?

Puck?  LOL...Kidding.

dana

HarryTrotter

Actually-Dead No More is a story arc.Related to Captain America? :blink:
Personally I still think it could be the return of Ben Reilly.Since its been 20 years and all that.
http://marvel.com/news/comics/25655/steve_rogers_returns_for_free_comic_book_day
New Avengers So when you turn on a time machine,versions of you from the future arrive?I see somebody has been reading Planetary. :-)
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Its Thunderbolts!Almost the whole original team!With Winter Soldier and a new character instead of Zemo and Songbird.Creative team being Jim Zub(I did like Wayward,but Im not sure hes the right choice here) and Jon Marlin(IDK much about him,but his artwork looks very 90's from what I saw).
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'm not familiar with the creative team at all, so I'm not sure about them, but the lineup is great. I think Winter Soldier is a great choice for Thunderbolts. The little girl is going to be introduced in Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill, so I have added incentive to pick that up. I think I'll have to pick this up and see if I like it.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Here is the regular cover by Jon Malin.If it looks familiar,remember that Malin is a student of Rob Liefeld.Thats why I dont really think he is good choice.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

That looks like a Liefeld drawing.  My goodness, that's a lot of 90s-ness.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Again,he was Malins mentor.Not kidding here.Marvel has some weird choices with the art duties lately.
Why not Mark Bagley,or Rafa Sandoval,or ANYONE other then Jon Malin?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on January 24, 2016, 06:57:14 AM
Here is the regular cover by Jon Malin.If it looks familiar,remember that Malin is a student of Rob Liefeld.Thats why I dont really think he is good choice.

Is that why I don't see any feet???
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

So it is somebody Spider-man(men) related.Uncle Ben shows up in Spider-man/Silk,so this probably isnt about him.I still think its Ben Rilley.Or its Wolverine and Marvel is just trying to confuse us.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

It could be Ben Rilley.  Remember, he did sacrifice himself to save the others in Spider-Verse.....or it could be Kane...Oh I hope not.

HarryTrotter

That was another universe version of Ben?And I think Kane survive Spider-verse?
Ext X-men travel to Weirdworld.Because Weirdworld is a thing now.I get the Inhumans,but why are they pushing Weirdworld?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I did like the cameo of Crystar they had in Weirdworld.  Maybe Crystar is coming back to the Marvel Universe

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on January 27, 2016, 05:25:05 PM
I get the Inhumans,but why are they pushing Weirdworld?

Marvel's been trying to make an effort to be more diverse lately. Maybe they want some more epic fantasy in their line-up?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

I dont really notice any diversity in stories.Black Knight was shaping up to be different,but then they throw in Uncanny Avengers and all originality vanishes.
Old Man Logan was actually better then expected.Thou it feels like Bloodshot lite.
Jon Farmer

Previsionary

Hi, you guys. It's nice to see this thread is still pretty active since the last time I was really around, and some of the people I discussed books with are still here among the new faces. Unfortunately, my interests in comics mostly waned immensely a couple of years ago, and I reduced my reading to very few Marvel books and mostly independent and various other company's selections. That said, I checked out several titles around and just after Secret Wars to test the waters. Here are my brief thoughts.

Hercules #1-3

This is a more modern take on the ol' Herc, who is finally (once again) breaking away from his days of being associated with fighting, being lazy, and generally being a massive screw up. This version of Hercules lives in an apartment with Gilgamesh, another hero/mythological representation/eternal who has decided to crash Hercules's pad and become the lazy roommate no one wants. The arc starts out with Herc taking on a job from a bunch of kids who suspect their sister's boyfriend is a demon. This launches Herc first mission that also reveals that he's done being tied to the old way and now brandishes a gun, a man bun, and a new costume that comes with a crotch protector thing as he asks everyone around him that shared a history with him to grow and adapt.

This series is... interesting, as it's not how I typically envision Herc, and the humor element that used to be prevalent in his adventures is almost missing. It's also very on the nose about telling readers that Herc is trying to adapt and that everyone around him needs to do so as well. I'm very mixed on it.

The Totally Awesome Hulk #1-2

Since I talked about Herc, then it's only right that I talk about his ex sidekick (and ex Prince of Power) Amadeus Cho. While the humor may be missing from Herc's book, it's overly present here to the point that it becomes a detriment to the story and the characters themselves. Amadeus is suddenly very happy to throw out quips at the expense of actually helping people until he's cutting it close, and he has no issue being rude to She-Hulk about her age, despite having a few run ins with her from his previous adventures. While the book has yet to give the origins of Amadeus's device that he uses to transform into his version of Hulk, and it seems to be stringing along what happened to Banner, Amadeus's Hulk comes across as very juvenile. So juvenile, in fact, that it's like he's going through puberty again whenever he's around an attractive female, and he got the added bonus of losing his pants in a scene (played for laughs). Added to his cast is his bossy sister Maddy who, like Cho, has high intellect and acts as his Barbara Gordon.

Honestly, I had high hopes for this series, but so far, it does nothing for me. I expected better from Greg Pak, and the art is solid, but the book constantly hinders itself in an attempt to draw out scenes. It's okay.

Uncanny Inhumans #1-4

I thought it was an interesting choice to finally bring this characters further into the spotlight, considering how complex their history is and how tied they were into space Marvel up until recently. So, witht hat said, it only makes sense that the first arc would be heavily tied into Kang and time travel, my least favorite type of story! I don't really have a lot to say about the story here without immediately spoiling things, so I won't. I will say that I like Beast and Johnny's inclusion, and that I appreciate the dynamics between the characters.

This series started out on the rough side for me, and I can't say I cared for the conclusion of the first arc, but it grew on me more than the books that came before it in this post, but that's not really a declaration of anything positive on its behalf.

Uncanny X-men #1-2

First of all, let's get it out of the way right now. This book features art by Greg Land, so that means that Mystique, Monet, and Psylocke, three different women of different racial backgrounds, ALL look alike. In the first issue specifically, Monet looked like a tanned white woman, and Psylocke looked like a lighter tanned version. That was definitely an experience. Story wise, this book is all about this mashup of X-men flying around "freeing" mutants who willingly put themselves into stasis to escape the effects of terrigen mist. However, unknown to them, is that mutants are being hunted, specifically healers, and the X-men are trying to put a stop to that. The side story involves Psylocke trying to come to terms with whatever Archangel currently is who, more or less, operates as a mindless attack drone.

As an X-men lover, you'd think I'd love this. I didn't. Art aside, some of the characterizations seem off for one reason or another. Monet, specifically, seems like a misstep, and it doesn't help that her interactions with Sabretooth are offputting, and she keeps smiling like a Cheshire cat every other scene. There are interesting tidbits here and there, but not enough for me to recommend this series to anyone as it currently stands. I've read that there's an upcoming explanation to Monet's characterization coming up. Hopefully, it's a good one.

Extraordinary X-men #1

Again, you'd think I'd love this book because not only is it an X-book, but it features several of the characters I like. Lol, maybe you should stop guessing? Extraordinary X-men is the story of Storm leading her version of the X-team (been there, done that) and also the slow build up of actually adding X-men characters to the team beyond Magik and Iceman. Sounds entertaining, right? It's not. Basically, this is the setting the paces issue. All the stuff you need to know is here, and a story pops its little head in here and there, but nothing about the issue is enticing enough on its own to be of much interest. Hoping for the best with this one.

Spidey #1

If you ever wanted a back to basics, high school version of Peter Parer, this book is for you. It's a very light read that you can comfortably buy for those who are into all ages books that used to be easily available before they were all canceled. I'd recommend it to anyone that just wants a fun version of Spidey without being tied to current going ons. Of course, there are changes to consider, but everything is there in the book.

Silver Surfer #1

If you liked how the book was handled pre-relaunch, then you should be fine with this version as well. It's fun. It's cute. It exists.

The Vision #1-3

This series was a major surprise to me. I hae no idea what went on with The Vision to reach the point beforehand, and it doesn't seem important, but I really enjoy this series. Instead of being your typical superhero story, this one comes across as more of a tale of suspense. I honestly got creeped out a few times while reading the issues, and it's the first time in years that I see The Vision as a viable character on his own, except that's not true, as I find more intrigue in his supporting family members and he just happens to be there as the straight man.

I'd recommend this to anyone that wants to give a new, creepier take on The Vision a chance without being tied into whatever is going on in the main universe (as of right now).

All New Wolverine #1-4

While reading this, one thing that stood out to me is how quickly I finished four issues in one sitting. Tht's either a good or bad thing. Fortunately for this series, I really enjoy it, and the little pot shots at fans who weren't willing to give Laura a chance amuses me. I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of X23 and want to see her continued development.
Patsy Walker, Hellcat #1-2

Much like Silver Surfer and Spidey, it's a cute, fun book starring Patsy, who apparently died and came back from the dead. None of that matters except to let you know it happened and she's trying to restart her life. This is more on the humor side of things with the heroics playing a small, secondary role. Great book to give to new readers without having to worry about extreme violence, swears, or any of that usual stuff that fills comics... or the Jessica Jones series. :P

----------

All right, that's enough. I did read more books, but eh. My overall opinion on Post Secret War Marvel is that it's something that exists, and it has a lot of growing to do to actually grab and maintain my interest outside of 3 or 4 books.A bunch of okay books isn't enough.
Disappear when you least expe--

kkhohoho

Quote from: Previsionary on January 29, 2016, 05:39:44 AM
All right, that's enough. I did read more books, but eh. My overall opinion on Post Secret War Marvel is that it's something that exists, and it has a lot of growing to do to actually grab and maintain my interest outside of 3 or 4 books.A bunch of okay books isn't enough.

You should try Ms.Marvel. It's an awesome mostly stand alone series that actually stars a brand new character, has organic storytelling, doesn't drown itself in a lot of the problems that comics have these days, and is just amazing. If all of those comics you just tried out aren't grabbing you, then you should really give Ms.Marvel a whirl. (Though you might want to start at the beginning, not that it's a problem, as there isn't that much of it just yet.)

HarryTrotter

Ext X-men actually gets better.Never stellar,but it gets better.Btw,ironic that Bloodshots current arc is pretty similar to Old Man Logan.
I have got to say it even if it invites a ****storm.If somebody uses a name of an existing character,then they are not a new character.They are just lazy attempt at legacy heroes.A concept that Marvel sucks at.If your universe is constantly in THE PRESENT,where is the past to draw legacy from?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on January 29, 2016, 06:22:52 AM
Ext X-men actually gets better.Never stellar,but it gets better.Btw,ironic that Bloodshots current arc is pretty similar to Old Man Logan.
I have got to say it even if it invites a ****storm.If somebody uses a name of an existing character,then they are not a new character.They are just lazy attempt at legacy heroes.A concept that Marvel sucks at.If your universe is constantly in THE PRESENT,where is the past to draw legacy from?

There is a past to draw legacy from, if Marvel ever bothered to actually use it. They still have a Golden Age, which is something that DC's actually pushed to the wayside. (As in they completely wiped it from their main universes' history.) DC always put more emphasis on it, but at least Marvel still has one, and they could use that as a source for legacy characters if they ever bothered to do so.

Really though, I don't have that much of a problem with all of these legacy characters that Marvel's putting out. Would it be better if they had actual new Superhero identities? Maybe, but here's the thing: If they had actual new Superhero identities, they probably wouldn't sell. As far as Marvel is concerned, a completely brand new IP these days isn't viable because they just haven't been selling; either that or they're just too afraid to take a risk. However, they still want to introduce new characters, so they've compromised by giving them the identities of old heroes, which lets them have their cake and eat it too.

I'd also argue that these are new characters, as opposed to not being so because they don' t have a brand new Superhero ID. It's like saying Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, and Wally West are all the same character just because they put on a red suit and call themselves the Flash, or that all Green Lanterns are the same guy despite them having their own lives and distinct personalities which set them apart. To me, if they've got a different personality and background, then they're a new character, regardless of whether or not they share a codename with someone else.

HarryTrotter

Sort of what I said.Inventing new heroes would require work and new ideas-so surely the House of Ideas can do that?Again,this is just lazy attempt at being...what?Inclusive?Politically correct?(you can call me names now,people)There are better ways of doing  that.
Wally West-good example.Its a story about living up to heroic legacy-a character arc that lasted nearly 30 years.And then did you see what happened when the universe got remade and all that went out the window?They are pretty much same evil at this point,but DC used to handle legacies better then Marvel,you have to admit.There were genuine story arcs,not just: Here random guy,take my costume!
Valiant invents new heroes,DC gives spotlight to some more obscure ones,Marvel can at least do some of those things,right?
And if your replace a hero,don't you also risk alienating current fans?Again,some DC examples could be made.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-cancels-black-knight-with-issue-5/
Black Knight canceled after issue #5.Not a big suprise really.But its sad that a book actually had so much potential yet wasted it on a crossover in issue #1.Im guessing that annoyed a lot of people.Anyway,ANAD has its first victim.Who will be next?
Jon Farmer