News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

I saw it go from 1.99 to 2.99 to 3.99 and now to 4.99,is there ever going to be a line somewhere?Im pretty sure some of the older members saw it go from 10c to today.
But my point is,how long are these gimmicks going to work?Restart every so often to sell #1?I was never into speculating,but somebodys gonna spend 100$ on a variant cover?In 2015?There are people like that?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on November 29, 2015, 06:55:32 PM
I saw it go from 1.99 to 2.99 to 3.99 and now to 4.99,is there ever going to be a line somewhere?Im pretty sure some of the older members saw it go from 10c to today.
But my point is,how long are these gimmicks going to work?Restart every so often to sell #1?I was never into speculating,but somebodys gonna spend 100$ on a variant cover?In 2015?There are people like that?

There are people who would spend $1000 dollars on a cover if they were ever priced that high. But yes, if Marvel needs to keep relaunching their titles to keep sales up, then it's clear that the industry, at least as far as mainstream comics are concerned, is wearing out. I wouldn't say it's on its last legs just yet, but it's getting there. I still think comics will continue to be around if Marvel and DC ever retire from the comics biz, but at the same time, their departure would have a heck of an impact, and it would also just be sad to see them go.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

But lets face it,nothing published in the last 20 years wont reach millions in value.Or thousands.IIRC Death of Superman was priced at 300$.Uncanny Avengers #1 or Spiderman #1 will never reach that.
While DC has financial issues and Marvel is on a good road to making them-I dont think they will ever shut down.Maybe bankrupt or go on a hiatus;but they are both backed by major corporation and it would take a lot to bring them down.Its more likely that the big 2 will eventually wise up a change some things.Executives,publishing model,editors.Well,maybe not tommorow,but in a few years it will happen.And its a real question would the industry survive losing any of the 2?
Jon Farmer

daglob

I read an article once by I think, Chris Warner (Black Cross). He basically said that the comic industry periodically goes into a downward spiral, but something happens that stops the trend and it staggers on.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Can someone explain Spidey to me?Is is meant to emulate the upcoming movie?Why doesnt anyone look like themself?Since when does Flash have black hair?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Extraordinary X-men #3 So Cyclops was killed by the Inhumans.How completely unexpected. :thumbdown:
And Storm still sees dead people.
Notice how X-men used in the current titles are those who will appear in the upcoming movies?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

So. Apparently, this is a thing: http://comicbook.com/2015/10/05/marvel-teases-civil-war-ii/

Yes indeedy, it seems that Marvel is in fact putting out a sequel to 2006's Civil War. Probably as a means to promote the Civil War movie.

Excuse me for a minute...

:banghead:

JeyNyce

First it was Secret Wars, Secret Wars 2, and then Secret Wars again..
Now it's Civil War, then Civil War II
What's next: Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War, and then.....Infinity Gauntlet War 2!!!!

daglob

Kinda like Crisis, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, 52...

HarryTrotter

Quote from: kkhohoho on December 05, 2015, 03:15:23 AM
So. Apparently, this is a thing: http://comicbook.com/2015/10/05/marvel-teases-civil-war-ii/

Yes indeedy, it seems that Marvel is in fact putting out a sequel to 2006's Civil War. Probably as a means to promote the Civil War movie.

I think thats still Avengers:Standoff.And somewhat (un)expected X-men line will also get their own crossover: Apocalypse Wars.That one actually sounds like it involves fighting a villain.But that would just be crazy,right?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on December 05, 2015, 11:03:20 AM
Quote from: kkhohoho on December 05, 2015, 03:15:23 AM

I think thats still Avengers:Standoff.

You'd think so, except that Bleeding Cool article you linked to earlier said that Standoff was just the prelude to an even bigger event later in the year. I don't know what else heroes fighting other heroes could be a prelude to.

HarryTrotter

Another Civil War?Because movie.And we havent suffered enough these past 10 years?Good excuse(not that its needed) to stay away from the current Avengers titles.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Marvel just finish (almost finishing) Secret Wars, they really don't need a big, cross-over event so soon.  Let the books mature and people get to know the characters better before you start having them fight each other over something stupid and start killing off all the mutants.

kkhohoho

Quote from: JeyNyce on December 06, 2015, 03:55:33 AM
Let the books mature and people get to know the characters better before you start having them fight each other over something stupid

'Civil War 2: In the wake of the Standoff at Pleasant Hill, our heroes once again find themselves at odds due to a conflict that is impossible to resolve without much drama and bloodshed. That conflict is: Peanut butter... or jelly?'

daglob

Whether to have their toast butter side up or butter side down?

kkhohoho

Quote from: daglob on December 06, 2015, 04:15:09 AM
Whether to have their toast butter side up or butter side down?

That too. They also can't agree on whether or not they should have their eggs sunny side up or sunny side down, nor whether their coffee should be light or black. Truly, these are pressing concerns that Earth's Mightiest Heroes must settle between themselves at all costs, or die trying.

HarryTrotter

No.This time its the eternal question: Did Harry Potter copied Books of Magic? :/
Spider-family doesnt have an event announced,but I expect that to be fixed. :|
Back to X-men;All New (new) X-men NEVER mentions the T-mist.Because it affects people in the Limbo,but not actually on Earth?Oh,and Cyclops is set to appear in Unc Inhumans.I guess we will see him die,or he will return as a villain.Classy anyway. :|
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Funny you guys should say that, in the Avengers Finale that wrapped up Bendis' first arc "Avengers Disassembled" the other Avengers were reminiscing about Hawkeye (who was dead at the time), and they were talking about how much Hawkeye would clash with Cap, and the example they used was: "So Cap would be like 'I like turkey', and then Clint would be like 'Turkey sucks and you suck and who made you boss around here'".

Eh, I agree that Marvel (and DC) need to cool it with the events, but I'm not really ready to write off Standoff or Civil War 2. I don't know anything about Civil War 2 yet, so I'm going to wait and see. Standoff sounds like it's two parts Civil War and two parts a cynical, blatant attempt to rip off every arc of the Walking Dead ever, but as I've said before, I'm already buying all but two of the books involved so I'll pick it up. And if I think it sucks I'll be sure to let you guys know.  :cool:

Read New Avengers #3 a while back. Not amazing, but I definitely appreciated the emphasis on Hulkling and Wiccan as they're among my favorites. Playing off Hulkling's original origin is especially appealing to me even if the stuff with the Skrulls is kinda gobbledygook.

Oh and a little late to the party, but I just want to comment on the James Robinson/Squadron Supreme/Namor thing. If nothing else, I can't let this comment by Robinson go unchallenged:

Quote"It is bittersweet, but I think that people have to pay for what they do," Robinson said.

And when will you be paying for what you've done, Mr. Robinson? Oh that's right, other writers have to clean up your messes (see Cry for Justice)  :thumbdown:
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

And thats still terribly naive coming from a comic writer.We all know Namor is going to stay dead until hes announced in a movie,or just another writer comes by.(see http://iswolverinestilldead.com)
I dont watch WD,but Im sure similarity is intentional.In Marvels own words;we had Supervillain Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad meets GoT(Black Knight).They really want to convince you your watching TV?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

BentonGrey

Haha, that Wolverine site his hilarious.  I'm impressed Marvel has kept it up that long.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 07, 2015, 04:55:10 PM
Haha, that Wolverine site his hilarious.  I'm impressed Marvel has kept it up that long.
Be sure to check out its companion site http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/
But yeah,who knew they will keep it up for this long?60 weeks for now.
Quote from: kkhohoho on December 07, 2015, 03:34:26 PM
Quote from: Spade on December 07, 2015, 06:21:46 AM
I dont watch WD...

WD? What's WD?
I was referring to Walking Dead.I also dont read it,thou everyone says the comic is better.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-confirms-bendis-marquez-on-civil-war-ii
Civil War 2 is really happening.And Bendis is writing it.Surely this can only end in good. :(
Jon Farmer

daglob

You not speak Bizarro way now, no?

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on December 07, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-confirms-bendis-marquez-on-civil-war-ii
Civil War 2 is really happening.And Bendis is writing it.Surely this can only end in good. :(

As if Millar wasn't bad enough. Bendis isn't necessarily a bad writer, but he can't write anything beyond street-level conflicts that's worth a darn. As has been no doubt said, the concept itself is good, but Millar and the rest of the writers just weren't able to pull it off, nevermind the complications of trying to pull something like that in a universe that already had multiple unlicensed heroes running around since the 1940's. And in any case, I don't think Bendis is the right person to mastermind it. What they also need this time around though is an actual written set-in-stone act that all writers should have on their person at all times, which should help a lot of kerfluffels that popped up in the ongoings and tie-ins the first time around. But that won't matter much if the main series by Bendis isn't able to stand on it's own two feet, written act or no.

Aside from that: We just had Secret Wars — scratch that, we're still having Secret Wars — and we're already going to be having Standoff at Pleasant Hill from February-April, which means we're going to being having events straight into near the end of next year; possibly longer if it gets delayed. Just give us a break Marvel. We don't need an event every single minute of the day, espically when said event is a sequel to one of the worst events Marvel's ever published.

Silver Shocker

According to an interview Bendis says "no one is safe" and "If you are scared of earth shattering Marvel events where no one is safe... be afraid, be very afraid."

To quote Red Letter Media, "Yay, more murder!".

Probably not going to pick it up with that creative team unless plot/character details grab me or the book is really short, like Siege short.

Also, Secret Wars delayed again because of course it is.

This is just getting sad. I'm not sure what in the world went wrong here (probably the artist) but Marvel really should have found some way to schedule this properly.  I think if I was picking up Secret Wars I'd be really annoyed, now I'm kinda perplexed and a bit disappointed in Marvel. 

QuoteI dont watch WD,but Im sure similarity is intentional

What I meant by that is that the Walking Dead, be it TV show, comic or video game, routinely involves the cast finding a large area they can live in. A gated community, for example, and it will seem safe and secure and pleasant for a while. But it will fall apart with time or someone there is hiding a horrible secret. That's how I've read Standoff described. I'm expecting it will involve not necessarily zombies, but an existing Marvel threat, group or species that fill out a similar role.

QuoteCan someone explain Spidey to me?Is is meant to emulate the upcoming movie?Why doesnt anyone look like themself?Since when does Flash have black hair?

I was under the impression that Spidey was supposed to be a series set during Spidey's high school years for people who wanted a series lighter on continuity or set back in high school; a kind of alternative to the main Spider-Man comics. However, I didn't know that much about it, and I definitely didn't know that the characters in it had different visual looks and hair colors. At this point I would guess it's something similar to the Marvel Age and Marvel Adventures line, but also, yes, almost certainly to emulate the modern movies much like other stuff in Marvel comics.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

@KK Pretty much what I said about Bendis.Hes okay on heroes like Daredevil and Spiderman,but hes terrible on teams like Avengers and X-men.
I understand reprinting WHOLE Civil War(anybody who gives 500 $ for it should have his/her head examined),but why the hell would  you do a sequel?Its like DC doing Identity Crisis 2.But its all new,because we have a new Captain America.And a whole new generation of heroes gets to act like fascist.That sure goes a long was to getting people to like them...
And yey,kill more second stringers,thats what we all want.
Who will die in the next issue: Rocket Racer or She Man-Thing?!
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Deadpool #3 Duggans run was strong when it started,but now its just barely average.Other Deadpools might have actually been a mistake.
Hercules #2 is still great.Btw wasnt Gilgamesh dead?
Jon Farmer