Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Quote from: detourne_me on April 30, 2012, 09:23:52 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on April 29, 2012, 08:19:55 PM
So, I recently discovered that Marvel seems to be starting an ongoing series based on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  Anyone reading that?
is this another one? i had the first 3 or four issues from a while ago   was pretty disappointed when it stopped showing up in comixology

the series was cool. anthology style with bios in the last few pages.

Yeah DM, I think they're launching an ongoing with the same crew as the mini-series.  Having recently read the mini online, I am pretty excited about this, as that mini was really quite good.  It looks like it starts in April.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

In comics news, it looks like Brian Michael Bendis is leaving the Avengers line of books (yay!) for...
Spoiler
a possible revive of Guardians of the Galaxy, having resurrected Thanos in a recent issue of Avengers Assemble, as per this link: http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/05/10/speculation-bendis-post-avengers-plans-partially-revealed/.  I'm a big fan of the DnA Guardians and Nova, and I'm all for the team's return, but written by Bendis?  I'll pass.
Way to raise my hopes, then dash them quite expertly, Marvel.

Previsionary

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *goes into denial and believes Talavar is just lying to troll*

ETA:

New Ironman?

Spoiler
Disappear when you least expe--

Deaths Jester

Great...more reasons to stay away from the mainstream comic groups....if they'd only learn...especially Marvel, ever since they handed the keys Quesadia and his lame sidekick Bendo things have gone downhill!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Bloodshadow

Well said DJ.
Is it the new Marvel way to create great books and characters just to crap on them and kill them?
Spoiler
For example,The Immortal Weapons,my favorite new concept and characters in the past 20 or so years and here now they've killed three of them and turned another into the killer.
I do somewhat like A vs. X,but thats my twisted side hoping they bring out the dark side with Hope,In my opinion she has the potential to be a great villain for years to come.Either that or kill her,but enough of this "Messiah" crap.

Previsionary

This is happening:

QuoteViscardi kicked off the call by introducing the participants and opened it up for the creators to tell the origins of "The First X-Men" as a series.
"I had these wonderful warm memories of Jack Kirby's 'X-Men,'" said Adams, who mentioned he had been on the book two issues before it had been cancelled. "At the beginning, Stan and Jack were just experimenting with things. Right at the very first issue, you have Professor X who is bald and in a wheelchair and these kids standing around them in costume and they are going to become the X-Men." Adams noted it seemed like readers were starting in the middle of the story rather than the beginning.

"Something must have happened before Professor X became Professor X," Adams said. "He could pass. He didn't look like a strange X-Man. He didn't look like a mutant."

Adams posited the concept was that Professor X wasn't the person who started protecting young mutants. "Maybe this was going on when Professor X was a teenager and mutants were being abused by the government ... and somebody stepped out to protect these kids. ... Who would he be and why would he go to Charles Xavier? ... That became my premise."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38666

Talavar

Isn't the fact that Professor X can pass as human part of the reason why he is the one to start stepping up and protecting those mutant kids who can't hide their abilities?  This just seems totally pointless, like a prequel to a prequel.

And I never lie just to troll.  I troll with the truth, which is much worse.

cmdrkoenig67

Wolverine's pre-X-Men...Horrible, so horrible!

Previsionary

Oh, hey, remember, guys, northstar is getting married soon to his flat boyfriend... and by flat, I mean having no development.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/marvel-comics-hosts-first-gay-wedding-in-astonishing-x-men-20120522

Meanwhile, DC is planning on one of their very own characters coming out. As you can imagine, the very idea of coming out and getting married has upset some people, and that's all I can say on FR.

Previsionary

Interesting idea, right?

http://marvel.com/news/story/18763/first_look_civil_war_prose_novel

QuoteOn June 6 courtesy of writer Stuart Moore, "Civil War" arrives as a prose novel, and we've got an exclusive look at the prologue to the book. This will be the first in a series of all-new novels for all fans old and new, and will serve as an amazing entry point for the millions of fans who’ve only experienced the Marvel super heroes through the blockbuster films!

"Civil War" follows the heroes of the Marvel Universe, including the Avengers. For those who have seen “Marvel’s The Avengers,” you’ve experienced the creation of this historic team. This story will put them through the ringer, dividing the group into two conflicting factions, and ultimately bringing those sides to war. Fans returning to the Civil War saga will find that all-new material has been added to the experience, including a new take on Spider-Man's role, with the story set in the post-"One More Day" reality and showing these events as they unfolded without Peter Parker and Mary Jane being married for the first time.

Take a look at the prologue, chapter one and chapter two before picking up "Civil War" for yourself on June 6!

Previsionary

Bendis is said to be taking over two X-men books, so once again, he gets to taint more things I loveD. I will continue not picking up those books, and now, I'll add in the lovely benefit of not even being curious. Enough is enough.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/13/brian-bendis-to-write-x-men-and-uncanny-x-men/

QuoteApparently, Bendis will write both Uncanny X-Men and relaunch X-Men. Jason Aaron will continue to write Wolverine And The X-Men. And yes, as Bendis wrote, what he is actually doing with Marvel is a whole lot bigger than that. Which tempts me to speculate  it will be part of one enormous cosmic story that will see the X-Men go spacewards with the Guardians Of The Galaxy against Thanos or whatnot. Well, they do all live on an asteroid…

I'm hoping this rumor is proven false.

bearded

Quote from: Previsionary on May 23, 2012, 12:04:50 AM
Oh, hey, remember, guys, northstar is getting married soon to his flat boyfriend... and by flat, I mean having no development.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/marvel-comics-hosts-first-gay-wedding-in-astonishing-x-men-20120522

Meanwhile, DC is planning on one of their very own characters coming out. As you can imagine, the very idea of coming out and getting married has upset some people, and that's all I can say on FR.

are they going to rename it the fabulous xmen?

laughing paradox

There are even more rumors about the Marvel shake up.

Spoiler
Astonishing Avengers From Remender And Opena
Jonathan Hickman And Esad Ribic On The Avengers
Matt Fraction And Salvador Larroca Take On Fantastic Four
Brian Bendis To Write X-Men And Uncanny X-Men
Gillen and Land to write Iron Man

I like a lot of these ideas, but I'm a little wary.

I think Bendis on the X-men might be a good thing, as 1: He'll finally be away from the Avengers and 2: Maybe resuscitate the X-men, because that Gillen book is awful.

Aaron is staying on as writer of that god-awful Wolverine and the X-men

Talavar

Quote from: Previsionary on June 14, 2012, 10:17:42 AM
Bendis is said to be taking over two X-men books, so once again, he gets to taint more things I loveD. I will continue not picking up those books, and now, I'll add in the lovely benefit of not even being curious. Enough is enough.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/13/brian-bendis-to-write-x-men-and-uncanny-x-men/

QuoteApparently, Bendis will write both Uncanny X-Men and relaunch X-Men. Jason Aaron will continue to write Wolverine And The X-Men. And yes, as Bendis wrote, what he is actually doing with Marvel is a whole lot bigger than that. Which tempts me to speculate  it will be part of one enormous cosmic story that will see the X-Men go spacewards with the Guardians Of The Galaxy against Thanos or whatnot. Well, they do all live on an asteroid...

I'm hoping this rumor is proven false.

Bendis' comic writing is like an old school video game boss - the key is just to be where he isn't.  He writes all the Avengers, so read all the X-men; he follows you over to X-men, so now it might be safe to jump back over to the Avengers....  I just wish I knew how many turtle shells it took to knock him out of mainstream comics entirely.

detourne_me

A few thoughts:
Spoiler
Wolverine and the X-men, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Amazing Spider-man, and Uncanny X-Force are the best comics Marvel has going these days in my opinion.
I'll probably be jumping ship to wherever Hickman and Remender go.
I'll give Bendis a shot with X-Men... it needs to get back to the family of misfits vibe. This Extinction team BS makes me weary

murs47

Hickman and Remender on Avengers? I'm all in. :cool:

Podmark

I've reasonably enjoyed Gillen's Uncanny but I won't miss it if he leaves.
I LOVE Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron. Easily my favorite book right now. I'll be gutted if he leaves.

Very weary of Bendis taking over the X-Men, but I may give him a chance. I always have some interest in the X-Books.

The Avengers shakeup looks promising.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

I also love Aaron's Wat X-Men. I really hope he stays on, it'd just be a shame if his run is cut short this so soon.

Hickman and Remender on Avengers does indeed sound cool. I would try those out.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

lugaru

Quote from: Previsionary on May 23, 2012, 12:04:50 AM

Yeah, wait a week. He will get powers, die, come back as a villain, reform, and finally be outed as a skrull. My rule is if I was in the marvel universe I would never date a superhero, unless I wanted my life to get really interesting, really fast.

Deaths Jester

I jsut wonder...whatever happened to Havok and Polaris? I mean, Marvel Girl returned to Earth, Korvus was given captianship of the loony space pirate groups by Rouge, Cho'd and Raza are still Starjammers...but Havok and Polaris disappeared.  Where did they go?

Previsionary

Havok and Polaris are now on X-factor. Havok co-leads the team with Maddox. It's a crowded book, and it was crowded before. Now the book seems to be at a crossroads, from what I've read, due to the different directions a character like Havok would go as opposed to what Maddox shaped the team to be.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Previsionary on June 17, 2012, 06:40:34 PM
Havok and Polaris are now on X-factor. Havok co-leads the team with Maddox. It's a crowded book, and it was crowded before. Now the book seems to be at a crossroads, from what I've read, due to the different directions a character like Havok would go as opposed to what Maddox shaped the team to be.

Mien Gott, they so doesn't deserve to be on X-Factor..I would of thought they would end up with Wolvie's group.  At least then they would be allowed to grow as characters instead of being stifled with so many folks in X-Factor.

murs47

Well, three characters[Rahne, Rictor, and Shatterstar] just dropped from X-Factor in the latest issue. Peter David said he'll be shaking up and trimming the roster over the next couple months. So it looks like Havok and Polaris will be getting more limelight once that's settled.

Did anyone read the latest issue of Avengers vs. X-Men? Last issue I was like :rolleyes: but with the latest, I was like :o Hickman just brings it, and Coipel is a HUGE upgrade over the garbage[Romita] from the first 5 issues.

laughing paradox

AvX 6 was sick. Vast improvement from the rest of the series. Also, Romita didn't do the artwork, as you mentioned Murs, and that already made this issue better.

Now I'm really excited to read the rest of the story. The Infinite issue was pretty great, too.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Talavar

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 27, 2012, 04:13:07 PM
Spidey gets a sidekick

I'm immediately reminded of a Simpsons episode from way back, where Homer & Barney are unveiled as new NASA astronauts. 

Reporter 1: Is this a joke?

Reporter 2: No, really: is this a joke?

crimsonquill

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 27, 2012, 04:13:07 PM
Spidey gets a sidekick

This just falls into the.. "well, why the hell not?!" category for a year plot run since obviously they ran out of better ideas and figured it would be funny to see Spidey swinging around New York with a bad attitude sidekick for him to teach. If it doesn't work then they just dump the character off at Avengers Academy once the gimmick wears off and publicity finally drops to a dull golf clap of the handful of fans who loved the idea.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Silver Shocker

I looked at the comic preview introducing the character, and while we're obviously supposed to draw comparisons to ol' Puny Parker (not to mention movie!Peter Parker, as some were quick to point out), I can't help but immediately think of the "First World Problems" meme. This amused me.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

Every time I try to get back into comics, something like this happens and pushes me away. :(
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

murs47

What's wrong with Spidey having a sidekick/protege?