News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

I did read it via a friend and I feel like Bendis leading off the event was not a great idea. The story, thus far, feels too Civil War-esque with the X-men added in, and in fact, the argument Cyclops made to Capt is the same one Emma made to Ironman way back then. That said, Cyclops made several good points in the issue, but he came off as very unlikable, and part of that is due to his development for the past few years. It hasn't been kind to him at all.

Overall, I feel like this was a bland first issue and that it rushed into setting up a conflict. I'm not going to talk about the dialogue at all because, by now, I think many of you know where I stand with that, lol.
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

I got it. It was pretty much what I expected, forced conflict and poor continuity acknowledgment. Still enjoyed it, but I'm hoping the plot improves.
Having trouble redeeming my digital copy though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

I'm beginning to think that all this bad characterization of Cyclops has to do with something bigger...like maybe their trying to push him towards being the new Magneto or such...you know, humankind must be dealt with  type idea...unsure...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

President Raygun

I suspect it has something to do with the softening up of Logan over the years, since there's always been that friction between them, now that wolverine's *ahem* matured, they need a new reason for them to be at odds

murs47

Art was horrendous. Thank god Romita isnt drawing the entire event.

Previsionary

So, read a review, and I'm hearing Daken is dead? I have to be honest and say that I'm not going to miss him, and his intrigue wore off VERY early in his career. The way his story was shaping up with his desires to outgrow Logan's shadow and figure out his real purpose in the MU was an okay story, and they should respect that narrative for once and allow him to stay gone and buried, if not forever, then for at least half a decade.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on April 07, 2012, 10:28:05 PM
So, read a review, and I'm hearing Daken is dead? I have to be honest and say that I'm not going to miss him, and his intrigue wore off VERY early in his career. The way his story was shaping up with his desires to outgrow Logan's shadow and figure out his real purpose in the MU was an okay story, and they should respect that narrative for once and allow him to stay gone and buried, if not forever, then for at least half a decade.

I was actually looking at a summary of his last issue the other day, his death seemed a little ambiguous to me though, a no body deal.
However, I'm confused because Daken appears in both Deadpool and Wolverine issues coming out next week, so maybe he is still alive or there's some time line issues going on.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Northstar and his boyfriend are finally important, guys! After finally having their first kiss on panel over in Alpha Flight... months after they were first seen in bed together in one of those X anthology books... and then doing nothing of note together for months afterwards... Marvel has finally found another way to exploit their relationship!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=57559

murs47

It looks like the "Ultimate" universe will finally be crossing over into the "616" universe with Spider-Men this summer.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/11/spider-men-peter-parker-miles-morales-ultimate-crossover-bendis-pichelli/

Could be interesting.

Previsionary

I feel like Marvel keeps misunderstanding what "accessible" means. Crossovers are what led to the destruction of the Ultimate U the first time.

murs47

Exciting news! At least imo, Fraction and Aja are teaming up again for a Hawkeye ongoing series. What they did with Iron Fist was great, I'm hoping for the same results with this.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/15/matt-fraction-hawkeye/

Previsionary

That'll be canceled in under 8 issues.  <_< . Actually, maybe not because of Fraction's name despite the last two Hawkeye books lasting 6 issues or less.

ETA:

Congrats to Murs for being the 1900th post in this revamped thread. You did it, Mursy Manilow. You did it!

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on April 16, 2012, 06:01:11 AM
That'll be canceled in under 8 issues.  <_< . Actually, maybe not because of Fraction's name despite the last two Hawkeye books lasting 6 issues or less.

You know, I think not. I have a strong feeling Hawkeye's popularity will skyrocket with the upcoming Avengers movie. Jeremy Renner is a beast too.

Podmark

Just read AvX2 and JR Jr's art was horrendously bad. There were some okay panels but most of it was way below the bar. Not even close to good enough for an event.

As for the story itself...well it's Avengers vs the X-Men alright.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Pod, Ue told me that Cyclops came off in a horrid light. Would you agree? Also, is this book really shipping twice a month for 6 months? That... is a mistake. Cut that in half, Marvel.

Podmark

Funny I see it the other way around, Steve seems like a big idiot in this to me. But I'm very biased towards the X-Men. I hope they kick some Avenger butt.

Also...
Spoiler
Paige and Toad?
No, no, just no, no, no, nonono, not in a million years, no, no...
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Podmark on April 19, 2012, 02:07:03 AM
Funny I see it the other way around, Steve seems like a big idiot in this to me. But I'm very biased towards the X-Men. I hope they kick some Avenger butt.

Also...
Spoiler
Paige and Toad?

I thought she was still hung up on Angel?!?!?!?!

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: murs47 on April 16, 2012, 04:30:22 AM
Exciting news! At least imo, Fraction and Aja are teaming up again for a Hawkeye ongoing series. What they did with Iron Fist was great, I'm hoping for the same results with this.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/15/matt-fraction-hawkeye/

Wow...Just when I thought Marvel's nu superhero "costumes" couldn't get any more stupid...Hawkeye's proves me wrong.

Dana

detourne_me

Quote from: Deaths Jester on April 20, 2012, 06:05:57 PM
Quote from: Podmark on April 19, 2012, 02:07:03 AM

Also...
Spoiler
Paige and Toad?

I thought she was still hung up on Angel?!?!?!?!

I loved that bit.  It's the little things that Aaron works in to the book that make it worthwhile.... My marvel pull list has really skyrocketed lately as it seems like the writers just want to have fun with the characters.
And the Omega Effect crossover with DD, Punisher and Spider-man?  That's been great too.
It's just too bad when former greats like the Captain America line have really been slipping in quality.

Tomato

Deaths Jester

cmdrkoenig67

Marcus Johnson/Nick Fury Jr?  Arrgh...Sooooo stupid.  Fury Sr really gets around.

Dana

BentonGrey

So, I recently discovered that Marvel seems to be starting an ongoing series based on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  Anyone reading that?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Previsionary

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on April 28, 2012, 08:39:47 PM
Marcus Johnson/Nick Fury Jr?  Arrgh...Sooooo stupid.  Fury Sr really gets around.

Dana

Yep... 2 kids is surely getting around in this modern age, St. Dana of Danaton. What... a prude. :P

detourne_me

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 29, 2012, 08:19:55 PM
So, I recently discovered that Marvel seems to be starting an ongoing series based on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  Anyone reading that?
is this another one? i had the first 3 or four issues from a while ago   was pretty disappointed when it stopped showing up in comixology

the series was cool. anthology style with bios in the last few pages.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on April 29, 2012, 11:44:10 PM

Dana

Yep... 2 kids is surely getting around in this modern age, St. Dana of Danaton. What... a prude. :P

Oh stop.   :P  I just don't see the point of the character.

Dana

Tomato

Actually, I'm surprised it took Marvel this long, to be perfectly honest. Aside from the mua games, the Sam Jackson Fury has been THE Nick Fury used in every single piece of Marvel related media since Xmen Legends 2. The only reason Marvel kept him white in the comics for as long as they did was to appease the comic book purists, but it's offputting to newer fans brought in by the recent movies. Making "Black Fury" Nick Jr. is Marvel's compromise... they aren't removing white fury so the purists won't pitch a fit, but new Fury is still in there so new readers won't feel confused.

Previsionary

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on April 30, 2012, 09:38:03 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on April 29, 2012, 11:44:10 PM

Dana

Oh stop.   :P  I just don't see the point of the character.

Dana

I don't see the point of you, but I allow you to exist. Know that. *cackles magnificently and disappears in a bolt of lightning*

murs47

So now Samuel L. Jackson is the illegitimate child of Clint Eastwood? That's acceptable.

President Raygun

Quote from: murs47 on April 30, 2012, 01:25:57 PM
So now Samuel L. Jackson is the illegitimate child of Clint Eastwood? That's acceptable.

Wouldn't it make him David Hasselhoff's illegitimate kid ?  :banghead: