News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laughing paradox

Has anybody been reading the current Heroes For Hire book by Abnett and Lanning?

I have nothing but love for this book already. The concept is basic but engaging, where Misty Knight (doing her best impression of the DJ from the Warriors movie) is almost like DC's Oracle, doling out jobs for heroes that are for hire. Silver Sable, Paladin, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Falcon, Back Widow.. it the kind of book where certain random heroes could pop up and it would make sense, depending on the job. A surprise twist was revealed in the first issue and it just left me wanting to read more to figure out exactly what is going on. Such a great book.. love the art. And after reading the latest issue, who's ever going to see the Flinstones in the same way again?

Previsionary

LP, you're obviously confused. This ain't the DC thread, so don't be speakin' 'bout them up in here. Get yo' mind right.

Anyway, a new writer and artist will be taking over Secret Avengers for the Fear, Itself event. Who's excited?: http://marvel.com/news/story/15183/nick_spencer_joins_the_secret_avengers
Disappear when you least expe--

murs47

Prev, gnub. He's talking about Heroes for Hire. I've been hearing positive things about this book.

Nick Spencer on Secret Avengers? Hmmmm. I thought the first arc was mediocre but after that the title has been quite entertaining. Nick Spencer is a rising star though. His Image stuff is great and his take on THUNDER Agents and The Atom has been awesome thus far. Sucks to see Bru go but at least we're getting a quality replacement who might even do a better job with the title.

Previsionary

Quote from: murs47 on February 10, 2011, 04:40:00 PM
Prev, gnub. He's talking about Heroes for Hire. I've been hearing positive things about this book.

You're as daft as he is. He had a whole section talking about Birds of Prey and Adventure Comics. He edited it, duh. DUH, Murs. DUH! Go to your corner, dumb dog.

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on February 10, 2011, 04:47:03 PM

You're as daft as he is. He had a whole section talking about Birds of Prey and Adventure Comics. He edited it, duh. DUH, Murs. DUH! Go to your corner, dumb dog.

You are.

laughing paradox

You mean what I wrote in the DC thread? You're crazy, Prev. CRAZY! :D

Previsionary

Quote from: murs47 on February 10, 2011, 04:54:27 PM

You are.

Quote from: laughing paradox on February 10, 2011, 05:27:29 PM

You mean what I wrote in the DC thread? You're crazy, Prev. CRAZY! :D

Both of you just shut your mouth! Shut your mouth! *DRAMA*

deano_ue

Spoiler
HA cletus cassidy is back suck it bendis

Podmark

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on February 10, 2011, 05:45:55 PM
Spoiler
Spoiler
With a robot lower half :lol:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Spoiler

That's a shame - getting rid of that '90s throwback was the only good thing Bendis did with New Avengers.

deano_ue

Quote from: Talavar on February 10, 2011, 10:18:49 PM
Spoiler

That's a shame - getting rid of that '90s throwback was the only good thing Bendis did with New Avengers.

to you maybe to me it was a petty small minded act just because he didn't like the fact people enjoyed a character he didn't

Talavar

He didn't like the fact that people enjoyed a character he didn't?  So, basically, he did it to spite you?  I think more likely he did it because he thought Carnage is a bad character. 

And, this time, he's right (stopped clocks and all that).  Carnage - right after Cable - is the epitome of '90s comic book excess.  If only he could somehow have pouches all over his waving tendrils, carry a ridiculously giant gun, have curiously tiny, off-camera feet and come with a foil-embossed hologram cover variant, he'd be the poster boy for probably the worst decade of superhero comics.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on February 10, 2011, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: Talavar on February 10, 2011, 10:18:49 PM
Spoiler

to you maybe to me it was a petty small minded act just because he didn't like the fact people enjoyed a character he didn't

He did the same thing with Alpha Flight a few years back.  He didn't like them, so he killed them...Nevermind the fact that another writer may like and want to use them (and Alpha Flight has fans? Who cares?)...sheesh!

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Talavar on February 11, 2011, 01:26:10 AM
He didn't like the fact that people enjoyed a character he didn't?  So, basically, he did it to spite you?  I think more likely he did it because he thought Carnage is a bad character.  

And, this time, he's right (stopped clocks and all that).  Carnage - right after Cable - is the epitome of '90s comic book excess.  If only he could somehow have pouches all over his waving tendrils, carry a ridiculously giant gun, have curiously tiny, off-camera feet and come with a foil-embossed hologram cover variant, he'd be the poster boy for probably the worst decade of superhero comics.

Couldn't the exact same thing be said of Venom (and Deadpool)?  Except now Venom looks like a GI Joe character.

Dana

Talavar

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 11, 2011, 02:34:17 AM
Quote from: Talavar on February 11, 2011, 01:26:10 AM
He didn't like the fact that people enjoyed a character he didn't?  So, basically, he did it to spite you?  I think more likely he did it because he thought Carnage is a bad character.  

And, this time, he's right (stopped clocks and all that).  Carnage - right after Cable - is the epitome of '90s comic book excess.  If only he could somehow have pouches all over his waving tendrils, carry a ridiculously giant gun, have curiously tiny, off-camera feet and come with a foil-embossed hologram cover variant, he'd be the poster boy for probably the worst decade of superhero comics.

Couldn't the exact same thing be said of Venom (and Deadpool)?  Except now Venom looks like a GI Joe character.

Dana

I'm no fan of Venom either, but he is a (marginally) better character than Carnage.  Deadpool though, I don't agree with - at least when he's done well.  Deadpool is to 90s superhero comics what Spinal Tap is to 80s heavy metal bands: satire.

Previsionary

Tal, Bendis has a history of doing things like that, and he has admitted to offing characters he didn't like (see: Antman/Scott Lang). What UE put forth is not a stretch. Also, I will point out Sentry. He knew people didn't like the way the character was being portrayed, but he kept him around because he loved him. Then when he got tired of him, he offed him without much thought about it. Again, his own words. The Avengers in general is made up of the same 10ish characters Bendis loves while the other 40+ Avengers sit in limbo. How much evidence do you need before you realize his influence? :P

Podmark

I don't like that, killing characters just because you don't like them. To me if you've got a problem with a character then you should be trying to find a way to make it better or just avoiding it, not just offing him. Deaths should be story based, not writer based. Carnage's death in New Avengers was most certainly not story based as he was simply a cameo before being killed. Alpha Flight was the same way.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Quote from: Previsionary on February 11, 2011, 04:45:20 AM
Tal, Bendis has a history of doing things like that, and he has admitted to offing characters he didn't like (see: Antman/Scott Lang). What UE put forth is not a stretch. Also, I will point out Sentry. He knew people didn't like the way the character was being portrayed, but he kept him around because he loved him. Then when he got tired of him, he offed him without much thought about it. Again, his own words. The Avengers in general is made up of the same 10ish characters Bendis loves while the other 40+ Avengers sit in limbo. How much evidence do you need before you realize his influence? :P

I'm not defending Bendis (I dont' think he's done much in mainstream Marvel that's worth a damn); I'm attacking Carnage.  That's an important ideological difference.

deano_ue

i still find it funny that people moan about carnage, when he was the factor in one of spideys best arc. bendis has said in the past he didn't like the character and killed him off you please himself

is carnage an 90's character yes of course he is, he's no where near as bad as cable or the crap image comics flooded the market with. the sad fact is no one has had the guts from maximum carnage to write him as anything but a dumb killer.

you can not have a character that is purely about letting go of all human morals without playing up the idea that his way of life is wrong.

Podmark

It's like they're targeting books directly at me:
Fear Itself: Youth In Revolt
A mini starring the Avengers: The Initiative and Young Allies cast? I am so there.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

I'll totally pick that up. I'm very amused by the fact that Sean Mckeever is getting a string of minis to replace his canceled ongoing. It reminds me of Jeff Parker and Atlas.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Well, he said a long time ago that Initiative and Young Allies would still have their crossover regardless.

thanoson

I'm just mad at Bendis for breaking Terrax's Axe. You know, the one made from Galactus? Just to show how awesome his prettyboy was.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

Talavar

Straight from the horse's mouth: "As a result of the Fantastic Four sales and media coverage, Marvel is going to kill a main character every quarter.  This is not a joke."  The horse, in this instance, is David Gabriel, Senior Vice President of Sales at Marvel.  Click through to read for yourself.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/hey-thats-my-cape-marvel-deaths-for-sales-110216.html

Boo.

murs47

Epimethee

Hahahaha! What a great show of artistic integrity!

After A few quarters of this recipe, I guess we'll be seeing A LOT of zombie books...
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

kkhohoho

The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BentonGrey

Ehh, it isn't like this is something we didn't know already...but it is surprising to see them admit it so openly.  That is just sorta' weak-sauce.  At least pretend you've got stories to tell.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oldmanwinters

:doh:

Oy, this is a great argument for why comic books probably shouldn't be published every month.

So is Marvel's master plan to kill off the rest of the Fantastic Four or just some random character in their universe?
Looks like they already got a head start with Spider-Woman last summer.
http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2048878.html [Warning for disturbing images]

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Podmark on February 11, 2011, 04:50:41 AM
I don't like that, killing characters just because you don't like them. To me if you've got a problem with a character then you should be trying to find a way to make it better or just avoiding it, not just offing him. Deaths should be story based, not writer based. Carnage's death in New Avengers was most certainly not story based as he was simply a cameo before being killed. Alpha Flight was the same way.

What's even more moronic in Bendis' Alpha Flight death, is that they were taken out by the supposedly mega-powered Collective (Alpha Flight consisting of a hulk-level ancient god-beast, two skilled and experienced people in super-powered battle suits and a Dr Strange-level mystic), but his mostly street-level Avengers stood up to the Collective for an extended battle (and none of them were killed).  Thankfully, Alpha Flight is back and being written quite well.

The FF member being killed every quarter is another moronic Marvel misstep...When will they just learn to write good stories (then they wouldn't need constant deaths to get sales).

Dana