The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

I ended up goin' for Batroc. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

USAgent

Thanks for the link Prev.  T-bolts is the only modern book that I still follow closely. 

Dr. Demonicus doesn't stand a chance :(

Courtnall6

It won't matter who the fans pick...the execs that run Marvel will demand the spot got to Wolverine.  :lol:
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

BlueBard

Quote from: Courtnall6 on December 21, 2010, 06:52:09 AM
It won't matter who the fans pick...the execs that run Marvel will demand the spot got to Wolverine.  :lol:

Sure it will matter.  The fan pick will be on the team long enough to get destroyed.

Then it will go to Wolverine.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

herodad1

Previsionary

Quote from: murs47 on December 21, 2010, 01:06:13 AM
I voted for Deadpool. ^_^

You're so backwards. Like he's not in enough books even with two being canceled.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Marvel press conference live, if you care to watch: http://marvel.com/news/story/14888/watch_the_marvel_press_conference_live

I assume it's about the next Marvel event, Fear itself, which Tom Brevoort compared to Civil War. My head has already begun shaking in disbelief and I'll say no more. I wonder how this event will "change everything forever." *some companies never learn*

ETA:

Have to admit. They got my attention by mentioning WWII, Invaders, and Brubaker in the same sentence.  I'll at least look at the prologue.
Disappear when you least expe--

kkhohoho

QuoteI wonder how this event will "change everything forever."

This has been getting to me for a while; for years now, Marvel (and DC) have, every year, been doing 'big events' that will 'change everything forever'. Just one problem with that; 'The more things change, the more they stay the same.' Seriously, I'm not against 'big events', but they don't always have to change the status quo; in the last several years, we've had House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, and now this whole Heroic Age deal, not to mention the Chaos War. At this point, the only way things would 'change forever', as they put it, is to not change everything for a while; now that would certainly be be different from the current norm, wouldn't it? ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

crimsonquill

Regarding "Fear Itself" I pretty much picked up on that the key baddies will be Phobos (who is reborn in his new God-like state) and Trauma (son of Nightmare) who are going to be facing their own family legacy and taking their rightful positions. I assume that the Illuminati was involved in keeping another big secret after locking something away and cracks are formed between supernatural worlds after being abused by the rebirth of vampires (why else would Dracula be in the group shot), King Chaos, and magical forces pushing into the normal world. Something or someone forces the "chosen ones" to face their worst fears possible to test them against the big threat to come which of course leads to destruction, death, and rebirths of several characters who have been kinda been in a state of self doubt for quite awhile now.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Spe-Dog

It's like Global Warming: Event Fatigue is real.  You can choose to ignore it now, but with the readership in ALL comics being low, how much longer can the Marvel and others deny it?
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Podmark

If Trauma really is involved that will increase my interest. He was a favorite from Avengers: The Initiative. I don't want to see him as a villain though. Otherwise Fear Itself isn't doing anything for me right now.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

The thing that bothers me most is that Marvel/Quesada/the editors PROMISED us they'd take some time off from events to allow the readers some room to breathe. I'm still waiting on them to honor their words. Apparently, they're ignoring Siege (wish I could) or aren't counting it as a big event (when it was), so I dunno. Wevs. That doesn't account for the Daredevil (Shadowland), Black Panther, and X-men events.

The only good thing I got out of this is that Kieron Gillen will be helping Fraction out on Uncanny. Maybe I'll buy the book again, but looking at "Generation Hope" and how bland it is, maybe I won't.

Previsionary

murs47

That's crazy. I've been wanting to skin the Young Avengers as the future Avengers for quite some while. Pretty lack luster costume designs though. Still, it looks interesting, I'll probably be picking this up.

thanoson

Titania was my vote. SHe is so abused by She Hulk it's a shame.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

Silver Shocker

I'm very excited about that Young Avengers book. Especially since the cover shows Cassie Lang as Stinger from the MC 2 universe.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

lugaru

I thought I was gonna be the only vote for The Shocker but he is in the lead.

Otherwise I was gonna go with Sandman, who is a nice character who has worked on both sides of the law.

Talavar

Avengers 8 I don't know why I keep reading this book - I think it must be some kind of sick masochism, because I really can't stand it.  This is the second issue in a row that the Avengers themselves are barely in, focusing much more on Bendis' Illuminati.  The Hood is a terrible character that Bendis won't stop trying to cram down the audience's collective throat, and he gets every character voice wrong except for one or two.  At least I just read someone else's copy - I can take solace in not actually financially supporting it.

Silver Shocker

So I read Children's Crusade #4:

Spoiler
Wiccan tries to fight Dr. Doom but gets hurt. Doom later heals him but also deactivates his powers, leaving him helpless and giving him an ultimatum to either attend the wedding of Doom and Scarlet Witch, or remain a prisoner in Doom's dungeons. Billy chooses the former. Billy later talks to Wanda alone, and at her request, Billy relates to her the memories of her life that she's lost. Meanwhile the Young Avengers, Magneto and Quicksilver start up a fight in Latveria to lure out Doom, and the Avengers show up soon after. When Doom, Wanda and Billy show themselves, and pretty much everybody starts fighting everyone else, Wolverine attempts to kill the Scartlet Witch. Billy stops Logan and tries to debate the moral implications of murdering Wanda (with Wiccan, who's always been the "Hurley" of the Young Avengers, potentially speaking for the audience that's been questioning Wolverine's kill-happy attitude this whole book).  Wolverine tries to attack Wanda again, but is stopped by the appearance of founding Young Avenger Iron Lad, boy who would one day become Kang the Conqueror, who says he needs to protect Billy, and that the future depends on it.

The ending of the issue was the absolute highlight to me. It manages to get me pumped up for the next issue in a way all the previous issues completely failed to do. The rest of the issue was the same experience as the previous three: solid characterizations (with the exception of Heinberg laying it on thick with the Avengers and Wolverine), some entertaining dynamics (with Magneto and Pietro`s bickering with each other and the kids specifically standing out), darn-near flawless art, and a pace that's a little too slow for my tastes. I love Heinberg, but Kurt Busiek he is not. Admittedly some sequences in the book are very clearly tailored to show off Cheung's art (the sequence with Wolverine being a good example), and with 9 issues, at a bi-monthly pace, I wish things got moving a little faster. Also, a question for any Doom experts: why was Latveria swarming with spaceships? I assumed it to tie into some status quo from another book Doom has appeared in, but I don't think I've ever heard of this happening.

Overall the issue gets a 4 out of 5. It probably would have gotten a 3 or 3-and-a-half if not for the ending.

I also read the final issue of Ant-Man and the Wasp. No summery, as I'm lazy and don't feel like writing it right now (short version: they beat the bad guys and went home) but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was full of fun/cool moments. I give it a 4-and-a-half out of 5. The only possible complaint I could have about the book is it still straddles the line between Eric O'Grady being the more fully fleshed-out character from the end of Kirkman's solo book and being the weaselly comic relief everyone else liked to write him as. But since this book had more of an emphasis on laughs and fun moments than major character development, I think its something I can forgive. Tim Seely still made far more of an effort to acknowledge characters and events from Ant-Man's book than any of the other writers combined, so I give him points for that.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

AfghanAnt

I <3 YA so much but I really don't like stab, stab, kill Wolvie. I much prefer old ronin Wolvie or even love-crazed Wolvie. Besides that another excellent issue of excellent comic series - too bad I have to wait at least 3 months before the next issue since it is not in March's solicits. There is always this terribly design future Avengers starring the team though...

Silver Shocker

Isn't that one-shot by Heinberg himself though? Personally that's enough for me to pick it up.

And speaking of Avengers: The Children's Crusade:

http://i.newsarama.com/images/avncrusad005_cov_col_02.jpg

Looks like we may be seeing the return of Jack of Hearts!  Cool! Could Scott Lang be far behind?

~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Oh, hey, Cmdrkoenig... guess what! Someone got their wish and a certain event book may or may not have returned a certain team back to life. Take that dead fan 4 member. *tear*

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on January 26, 2011, 06:47:40 PM
Oh, hey, Cmdrkoenig... guess what! Someone got their wish and a certain event book may or may not have returned a certain team back to life. Take that dead fan 4 member. *tear*

Oooh...Intrigued.  Yay, I think?

BTW:  I don't get the whole
Spoiler
"kill Johnny Storm off"
thing, just to raise reader interest.  It's sad that after how much death has been abused in comics, writers and editors still think it's the way to go to get sales.

Dana

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

Wacker spilled the identity of the new Venom:
Spoiler
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Quote from: Podmark on January 28, 2011, 11:22:33 PM
Wacker spilled the identity of the new Venom:
Spoiler

Now THAT is actually a mildly interesting twist.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

Spoiler
totaly called it. Since he is now a hero that wants to get back into action the symbiote is the perfect vehicle for him as it replaces his legs and has an interesting relationship with peter. 

I'm also really tired of all the guff about Fantastic Four lately.  You gotta read the book,  it's the best it has been in a long time, I may even call it Fantastic!  I honestly had shivers and cried a little during Johnny's last stand.
I don't think the Millar stuff was bad at all,  pretty cool if you ask me, but Hickman just has this way of writing, it's so expositional in explaining a situation, but a lot of action happens off panel too that just lets you imagine crazy things.
I'm really excited to see what he does with the FF next.

lugaru

Fun, everyone has been predicting him to be venom, and now that it is spoiled I might pick up the book.

As for the marvel thing, that is great, you cant find  a more mainstream opinion than $3.99 is silly. As for 20 pages THE WALKING DEAD has done that since forever to give the artist a little more vacation and it is still one of the best books out there.

Previsionary

To Dana:

It's a yay. Some of Alpha Flight is back... until their next death.

Quote from: detourne_me on January 29, 2011, 03:16:33 AM
I'm also really tired of all the guff about Fantastic Four lately.  You gotta read the book,  it's the best it has been in a long time, I may even call it Fantastic!  I honestly had shivers and cried a little during Johnny's last stand.
I don't think the Millar stuff was bad at all,  pretty cool if you ask me, but Hickman just has this way of writing, it's so expositional in explaining a situation, but a lot of action happens off panel too that just lets you imagine crazy things.
I'm really excited to see what he does with the FF next.

We've discussed this before, but I always think you're waaaaaaay too forgiving about certain things. :P. Millar's run was bleh.* Also, Johnny's death was not "fantastic." It may have pulled at the heart strings, but speaking as an actual Human Torch fan (of both incarnations), that's not the way I would have thought Johnny would have went down. But like I said in the other thread, I'm accustomed to Iceman and Torch conveniently forgetting their powers so they can go down easier.

The reduction to 20 pages is interesting. The reason it bothers certain writers, and readers, is that it drastically affects pacing. I linked to an article by Jason Aaron earlier where he pontificated about DC's change in page numbers and how that may alter his writing style in the future. It's an interesting read if you care enough. Still, it's 3 dollars for 20 pages... is that really a good thing for us as fans? We were at 22 pages at 3 dollars less than a decade ago.

*opinions, like miles, may vary.

Podmark

Well the interesting thing about Marvel's plan is that they plan to give those books affected 13 issues a year. Still works out to slightly less pages (4 I think) per year though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on February 01, 2011, 08:00:53 PM
To Dana:

It's a yay. Some of Alpha Flight is back... until their next death.

I picked up the Issue and I was very happy.  Thanks P.

Dana