News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtnall6

QuoteJohn Byrne already had her leading the team (for several issues), when he left Alpha Flight.

Yes that's true...my mistake...but she was going to continue to lead as is and not as the new Guardian/Vindicator. My guess is that Byrne would have brought Guardian back eventually...maybe not Mac...but someone. The Guardian costume design is just too awesome to keep out of comics anyway! :D
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: AfghanAnt on November 28, 2010, 01:20:39 AM
Secret Warriors Spoilers:
Spoiler
So they killed Alex too. It seems Marvel hates Greek gods of war and their demigod children...
Spoiler
Remember...Alex is supposed to "die" then be reborn to come into his full godhood according to Ares ;)
Marvel "MUST" bring the original Alpha Flight back...PERIOD! :rolleyes: :D It's a nice dream.
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Courtnall6 on November 30, 2010, 10:50:41 PM
QuoteJohn Byrne already had her leading the team (for several issues), when he left Alpha Flight.

Yes that's true...my mistake...but she was going to continue to lead as is and not as the new Guardian/Vindicator. My guess is that Byrne would have brought Guardian back eventually...maybe not Mac...but someone. The Guardian costume design is just too awesome to keep out of comics anyway! :D

I agree C6, the Guardian uniform is a fantastic design.  Bill Mantlo slapped Heather into the suit as soon as he could, when he took the book over...I would have preferred if we saw Heather become a capable leader first and then (maybe) have her put the suit on.  Mantlo made her look like a liability (and inept) as a leader.

And yes, Cas...
Spoiler
I'm also hoping they'll keep Alpha alive somehow at the end of the Chaos War and not shuffle them off back to the land of the dead.

Dana

MJB

Read the first issue of Thor the Mighty Avenger. Not bad. I like the take they have on the character. Too bad it's soon to be cancelled. :(

kkhohoho

Quote from: MJB on December 03, 2010, 12:44:31 AM
Read the first issue of Thor the Mighty Avenger. Not bad. I like the take they have on the character. Too bad it's soon to be cancelled. :(

Is this a second series they're canceling, or are they really canceling the main series again? :huh:
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Podmark

Quote from: kkhohoho on December 03, 2010, 02:26:53 AM
Quote from: MJB on December 03, 2010, 12:44:31 AM

Is this a second series they're canceling, or are they really canceling the main series again? :huh:

Thor the Mighty Avenger is an all-ages book. I believe it's separate from main continuity, and those two things pretty much explain the cancellation as sadly all ages out of continuity books tend to sell poorly.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Epimethee

Too bad, it was easily one of the better comics out there.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Silver Shocker

So, I've been reading Ant Man & the Wasp. I like it, it's a fun book. And I like that The book references other appearances of O'Grady, especially Irredeemable Ant-Man. I recently got to read that series, and when I did, I was somewhat disappointed to learn that the book ended with O'Grady undergoing some character development and not being such a weasel, but most of his other appearances haven't followed suit, pursuing him as the skirt-chasing liar he started out as. This book is at least a decent middle ground.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Quote from: Epimethee on December 03, 2010, 04:33:30 AM
Too bad, it was easily one of the better comics out there.

Some of Marvel's creative forces (I specifically remember Reilly Brown right now) banded behind the book and tried to start a "save Thor" rally. I don't think it went very far, but it did start an interesting discussion about books not counted in main continuity and why they may not sell well. It mostly focused on all-ages books, and why that classification/wording may be harmful in the long run.

In other news, since someone brought up Jim McCann earlier, if you were a fan of his "Hawkeye & Mockingbird" series, then you can begin your "unfanning" process immediately, as that book is now dead in the water.
Disappear when you least expe--

Spe-Dog

Hmm...he broke up Bobbie and Clint.  Me, not so much...
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Epimethee

Quote from: Previsionary on December 04, 2010, 12:22:23 AM
In other news, since someone brought up Jim McCann earlier, if you were a fan of his "Hawkeye & Mockingbird" series, then you can begin your "unfanning" process immediately, as that book is now dead in the water.
Let me guess, Prev... You're actually the real Harbinger of Doom, aren't you?  :o

Atlas cancelled, Thor TMA cancelled, H&M cancelled... what's left?
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Previsionary

Hey, it's not my fault! I bought the books! This was announced awhile ago; I just wasn't posting at the time. :P.

On the Thor front: http://agentmlovestacos.com/post/2110730422/if-you-wanna-see-more-thor-the-mighty-avenger

You have Marvel writers, editors, artists, and workers on your side. Now, you just gotta get people to read the book. But if I were to be honest, I don't see that working. It didn't work for Capt Britain or Exiles, so I don't have high hopes for Thor. And if I were to be even more frank, I think New Mutants, Avengers Academy, Hulk (red), and/or Black Widow will join the pile eventually. If Secret Avengers doesn't actually get a little more interesting, I'd think it'd be at risk as well (sorry, Brubaker).

Spe-Dog

Speaking of piles, did anyone else read/finish Shadowland?  Was all that mess really just so they could take one of DD's biggest foes off the board?  The characterization was way off and the story was just bad overall.  I'm hard pressed to find any upside or benefits to the character coming out of this.

However, The Dark Son storyline over in Incredible Hulks was great.  I'm not saying that it was EPIC or anything of that nature, but it was really pretty well done and I can't wait to see where the fallout from this event is going to leave Bruce and Betty now.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Previsionary

Typically, I'm not moved enough to write reviews about things I absolutely hate, but today, at this very moment, I'm going to make an exception because Charlie Huston and Axel Alonso... and everyone involved with the book deserve to be shamed for what they did. Please arm yourself with knowledge, my friends. That's right, no spoiler tag.

Wolverine: The Best There Is #1

For a book that's visibly rockin' the "Parental Advisory" tag, this issue sure did censor itself a lot. Even the most common of swears (think your rear end) was written out in symbols and the only "swear" that made into the book in one piece is a biblical term used in a none biblical sense. I mean, if you're going to label it with an advisory tag, then something in the book other than more censored words should be... advisable against. As this issue is presented, it could just be a regular Marvel book, which already pushes the language barrier anyway. The beginning could have been pushing it, but I doubt it. With the way comics work now-a-days, that scene would just need minor editing to be put out for kids/pre-teens.

Anyway, the tag did ultimately end up serving a purpose, but the "parental" part should be removed and "warning" should be added to indicate to all those interested in yet another Wolverine book to look elsewhere because, yes, this issue is THAT bad. It's possibly the worst Wolverine book I've read in years, and I guarantee you that there are a lot of bad Wolverine solos out there. Thankfully, I did not buy this book, but I still feel a lot of shame for even browsing it. Forgive me.

Instead of even summarizing the story, I'd just like to point out some ridiculous things that happened this issue. Wolverine danced at a party. Wolverine made jokes and said, "I don't get my groove on." Wolverine became a hair dresser and talked about American idol for a page or two. Wolverine was walked while he was naked like a dog, which was never fully explained. I mean, it's explained how he got captured and ended up in that predicament, but it's like an after thought because all it does is explain why Logan needed a ride and his clothing choice. It's what I'd like to call an arbitrary plot device. There's also some other part of the story that is mildly confusing and littered with horrid dialogue that I will not get into because I like you guys... and I don't want to hurt you. I'm bearing this pain for us all.

To end on a positive note, I'd just like to say that I'm glad... GLAD... that my name is not associated with this book in any shape or form. I would suggest that the writer ask for his name to be removed, and he should hope and pray that this "ongoing" is canceled before he does too much harm on his name and skill level. Marvel should be horrified that they let this book get out as it once again highlights the caliber of their thinking lately and that their editors don't really edit as best they should. To add insult to injury, this thing is 4 dollars. That's 5 dollars too much. Yeah, they should pay you to take this comic off their hands. So much for that positivity, huh? 0. Zero. A big fat goose egg. Time to give Wolvie a rest, Marvel. Dare not weaken your line more than you have.

Spe-Dog

I just would like to say that you are an educated and eloquent individual, sir.

herodad1

saw a hard back of DOOM WARS yesterday at haston's. if anyones read it...is it worth buying? i love doc doom but thats not enough to spend 25 bucks.  :doom2:

murs47

Quote from: herodad1 on December 08, 2010, 05:51:27 PM
saw a hard back of DOOM WARS yesterday at haston's. if anyones read it...is it worth buying? i love doc doom but thats not enough to spend 25 bucks.  :doom2:

I thought it was pretty darn good. I'd call that a event worthy of a person's money. It makes Siege look like a bloody tampon in a public bathroom sink. Then again, if it wasn't for the art, Siege would be that on its own. If you're unsure, wait for the softcover and grab it on amazon.com.

Previsionary

Podmark

The new Venom?

I'm disappointed they're giving Venom a new ongoing right away. I was hoping the new Venom would be an ongoing story element in Amazing. I don't want to say much about the design until I know more but it doesn't excite me at the moment.

On the pricing topic, Marvel just announced some $2.99 minis. For the moment it seems Marvel may be giving you more bang your buck but I suspect in a year or two they'll probably drop to 20 pages as well.

EDIT:
Apparently the new Venom will be government agent.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BlueBard

I like the premise...

Spoiler
the symbiont is bound to a new host who's trying to control it in order to serve his country... but the host has to struggle to overcome the symbiont's influence in much the same way Peter had to.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Silver Shocker

Cosmic Marvel continues with Annihilators by DnA!

Please note that there will be NO Rocket Racoon and Groot miniseries. Instead it was be a backup feature in Annihilators, with each issue of Annihilators being more than 40 pages long.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Podmark

Sweet!
Though I'm slightly disappointed that Rocket and Groot won't be a full mini. I hope this mini will lead to more DnA cosmic stuff.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Shame it's only a miniseries, since we've lost both the ongoing Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy series.

lugaru

Quote from: Silver Shocker on December 10, 2010, 05:37:18 PM

Please note that there will be NO Rocket Racoon and Groot miniseries. Instead it was be a backup feature in Annihilators, with each issue of Annihilators being more than 40 pages long.

That team needs some powerful members, it is just a bunch of wimps.

;)

daglob

Quote from: lugaru on December 10, 2010, 11:52:27 PM
Quote from: Silver Shocker on December 10, 2010, 05:37:18 PM

That team needs some powerful members, it is just a bunch of wimps.

;)

Kind of reminds me of a letter once proposing that The Specter, The Phantom Stranger, Captain Marvel, Zatanna, or somebody like that should be in a group. The LOC editor could onlay ask who did he propose they fight?

Podmark

Quote from: Podmark on December 10, 2010, 06:05:04 PM
Though I'm slightly disappointed that Rocket and Groot won't be a full mini.

After reading the press release more properly I've realized the the Rocket and Groot story is actually full length. So Annihilators is two full length books in one.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Podmark

Thanks for the link Prev. I wonder who will end up joining.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

GhostMachine

I was tempted to write in the Punisher, but I voted Madam Masque.