News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marhawkman

Not sure about Thor, but I can write it off as "stuff changed".

Talavar

The new Thor storyline reminds me way too much of Thor/Asgard being attacked by Darkseid and the evil New Gods from DC.  And I agree, the Blake/Thor talk was way off.

Podmark

I wasn't sure if I was going to pick it up but Uncanny X-Force #1 was pretty good. Decent characterization and really nice artwork. I'll get the next issue. Fantomex really stole the show for me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

I have nothing to review (it's been awhile, hasn't it), but I must say that I'm dreading the Angel/Psylocke retread.  That's not a relationship I want to see again. I may have longer thoughts to present sometime later. Maybe.
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on October 07, 2010, 02:46:10 AM
but I must say that I'm dreading the Angel/Psylocke retread.

They're already back together when the story starts. I've actually never read any issues with them together before, but I wasn't looking forward to it either.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Ares_God_of_War

Anyone have a picture of what Apocalypse looks like from Uncanny X-Force?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Podmark

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on October 07, 2010, 03:28:38 AM

I don't have a picture handy, but presumably he's just a little boy...for now.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Lil Poccy was annoyingly cute.

Podmark

And now a pic.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

Reminds me of Little Tom Marvolo Riddle.

AfghanAnt

Urgh...I just read Thor and I am lost for words. Blake's and Thor's dialog was just awful and shows Fraction doesn't understand either character. Also why does everything look so modern now? It is so jarring when compared to JMS and Gillen's runs. The title's charm and myth feels lost.
In a word, it feels "alien".

crimsonquill

Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 08, 2010, 03:43:55 AM
Blake's and Thor's dialog was just awful and shows Fraction doesn't understand either character. Also why does everything look so modern now? It is so jarring when compared to JMS and Gillen's runs. The title's charm and myth feels lost.

That whole conversation between Thor and Blake seemed like something out of DC's Firestorm comic.. I hardly ever imagined Thor having a conversation with Blake in that manner much less then one telling the other about the proper ways of handling personal matters of girl relationships. You would wonder how the other Avengers would react to hearing Thor talking to himself and saying "would you shut up" to nobody while his communicator was open while flying long distance on a mission because this seemed hardly abnormal to Thor at all just annoying.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Ares_God_of_War

Quote from: Podmark on October 08, 2010, 12:45:56 AM

And now a pic.

I just got flashbacks of The Omen. Also why no face lines or anything cool. MEh, lol
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

cmdrkoenig67

My response to Apocalypse The brat...Ugh!  Seriously?  Makes me happy I barely read Marvel, anymore.

Dana

Previsionary

Ok, I know a lot of us don't care about it anymore, but it seems that Marvel is trying to draw more attention to the Ultimate Universe by sending their top tier talent over there to do their takes on some characters. First up is Ultimate Comic Thor by J. Hickman, which is not a bad read and sets up some interesting scenarios for Thor, Loki, Baron Zemo, Donald Blake, and the Braddocks. I recommend the book to anyone that liked the original Ultimates flavor. Secondly, Jason Aaron is doing an Ultimate Captain America book and I'll post the deets:

Quote from: NYCC liveblogFyreball13:
Jason Aaron in the ultimate universe? That'd be aweosme.... right? Ultimate Cap is coming! and the crowd goes wild!

UltimateKidNova:
Ron Garney, Jason's Wolverine: Weapon X cohort will be the artist

UltimateKidNova:
Crowd likes this quite a bit!

Fyreball13:
Ron Garney doing the art, and it's coming in 2011 and Aaron says that Cap's life is "going to suck pretty hard"

Fyreball13:
While Cap was in ice, they made a new Cap, rather than being forged in WW2, he was forged in Vietnam, a very different experience. THat Cap disappeared and he feels like Cap got off easy by not being in Vietnam, so he's going to teach Steve what he needs to know!

Fyreball13:
Two different Caps, two different ideologies, one amazing book!

UltimateKidNova:
That second Cap will be a character we know from the Marvel Universe, but who is new to the Ultimate Universe

In cosmic news, DnA have said that the cosmic universe will not be done after the Thanos event. The aftermath will be explored and it will be called "Devestation." We get another new status quo along with it.

murs47

Jason Aaron can do no wrong. So I'm pumped for Ultimate Captain America!

Also, Marvel really hates its X-Fans. Check out this horrific news. Fail.

Previsionary

That link is a dirty lie, and I cannot believe that someone who claims to be my friend would link us to such a monstrosity. I'll never forgive you.

marhawkman

Podmark

Young Allies is getting cancelled with issue 6  :(
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

got a link, Pod? Why is it being canceled? If Jeff Parker was writing this, I could see why, but the team JUST formed, and they haven't had time to actually form an audience yet.

Podmark

A link.

It was pretty much stealth cancelled, and there was an issue 7 solicited which is now dead.
I liked the book. It wasn't amazing or anything but I enjoyed it. It was a tough sell no doubt.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

The book being uber bland with no real unique value to it didn't help. I saw that Sean McKeever said that issue 7 was only partially plotted and not written, so there's no real loss on that end. Since Arana/Spider girl will have an ongoing, and Nomad keeps a backup in Captain America, I'm not too worried about them. I feel bad for Gravity though, as he's generally an interesting character who was shoved into the background after his eponymous mini series concluded until he appeared in "Beyond" and "died." And when he came back, he barely got any type of role even though he appeared more frequently. Marvel is now claiming the book is on hiatus, and I know the Young Allies (YA... even though I keep wanting to call them Young Justice) will be doing a triple crossover over soon, and there's an Onslaught storyline coming up, so that book just might be coming back... or relaunched... or whatever.

In other news, Zeb Wells is leaving New Mutants. I want to say that saddens me, but I could care less given how that book has been treated since it premiered. I only really liked the first arc and nothing since.

Quote from: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28897Hello all,

Before I assume the X-POSITION, I'd like to give everyone the heads up that my last issue writing the "New Mutants" will be issue #21. I've got a lot of stuff coming down the pike in the coming months and after much discussion with X-Editor Nick Lowe and the rest of the Marvel gang we realized that issue #21 would be a great end-point to the journey we started in "New Mutants" #1.

We have a lot of story momentum coming out of "Fall of the New Mutants" that leads perfectly into the two-issue climax of our 20+ issue mega-arc. Things are going to get absolutely insane, and I can't wait for people to read how this thing wraps up.

Before the door hits my [butt], I'd like to thank Nick Lowe for being a great collaborator on this run and bringing on great artists like Diogenes Neves, Zachary Baldus, Ibraim Roberson, Paul Davidson and the ever-inspiring Leonard Kirk, who all deserve my gratitude for their visions of these characters. I also want to give props to letterer Joe Caramagna, who continues to be one of my favorite collaborators in comics. And I'd be a cad not to mention the wizards at Guru Efx, who are killing it on the current arc.

Xenolith

I'm happy to read the cosmic stuff will contiue.  I love the whole Cthulhu-verse thing they have going right now.  Pretty creepy stuff.

AfghanAnt

hoss20

I had to chime in regarding the previous comments on Thor. I was a bit behind on my reading and just finished up the last two issues. I completely agree with everything said here. Seeing that Matt Fraction has written on the Ages of Thunder extended mini-series, it's a bit confusing that it looks like he's never read a Thor comic in his life. Thor has always had a touch of arrogance in his character, which is understandable, being that he's a god and all. Now, quite frankly, he's just acting like a douchebag to everyone.
   With even greater differences of opinion, Thor and Don Blake have never communicated like that before. For both of them to say, "I hate you" to each other over a disagreement on relationship advice is just assinine. I've been collecting Thor for just about 30 years and don't recall him ever saying the words "shut up" and in this one issue he says it three times. One of those times, he says it to Balder, of all people.
   Lastly, bringing back Loki. Really? "I miss my brother." Come on. Thor remembers their childhood together with fond memories. Obviously, Fraction has never read the old Tales of Asgard. Loki wasn't exactly all goodness and light as a child, either. He was nothing but a pain in the rump from the day he was brought to Asgard. Even if Thor does remember their childhood with happiness, what about the past thousand years or so? Destroying Thor and Asgard has been Loki's only purpose. Besides the countless times Loki tried to kill Thor, the god of thunder has actually killed Loki before. In the end, Loki did sacrifice himself to defend Asgard (although, he had a hand in it's fall to begin with). For all the damage he did to Asgard over the course of numerous centuries, I don't believe that Thor, as an honorable warrior, would disregard Loki's sacrifice by bringing him back. It was the only noble thing he did in his entire existence and I would think if that Thor had any affection for his brother, then he would leave Loki to be remembered by his last act, rather than bring him back to sully that and create more mayhem.

marhawkman

Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 15, 2010, 06:26:45 PM
Quote from: Podmark on October 15, 2010, 04:30:56 AMYoung Allies is getting cancelled with issue 6  :(
YES!
NO!

@Hoss:  I think Thor felt that his "brother" had earned a chance to redeem himself.

herodad1

i'd bring odin back before i'd even think of loki. nah...bring back bill. just read last issue also. what killed me was hemidall screaming like a wimp and curling up into a ball. come on! these are rough-n-tough viking immortals. dying in battle is an honorable thing! *sigh* :(

Podmark

I read Carnage today. I like it. Clayton Crain was actually trying and the plot is intriguing.
Spoiler
It's totally a sequel to Maximum Carnage as Spider-Man's Doppelganger and Shriek reappear. Some shady organization has the Carnage symbiote and have brought Shriek to it. Will Shriek be the new Carnage?

I've also been trying the new X-23 ongoing. It's been meh so far.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

NeoDarke

Whatever happened to Toxin anyway?
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

Spe-Dog

I'm really digging Incredible Hulk again now that Pak is back on the title and we have a return of the Hulk/Banner psuedo melding or at least goal alignment at present.  I'm jazzed for this but really want the split book to stop and just go for a full book story instead of half story and half filler.

I'm really hoping that Iron Man starts to show up in his own book more.  It reminds me of the Bruce Jones Hulk, whereas the author was really trying to give it a punch when Hulk showed up and the majority of the time we had Banner.  I know that this not too long after the heavy action story line of Stark: Disassembled, but he is building himself back up and a bit more action in armor and less industrial espionage might be in order.

Daredevil is just a freaking mess...I'm not angry, as I was during the OMIT and OMD storylines in Amazing Spider-Man, but just flat out disappointed.  There aren't words to really describe the letdown.  I'm hoping that there will be something redeeming in the finale, but if Marvel has shown me anything of late, it is that hope is only an X-Man and not something you can hold onto in their universe.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker