Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano_ue

Quote from: Podmark on September 04, 2010, 07:51:32 PM
Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on September 04, 2010, 07:03:15 PM
was i the only one who thought his issue was missing pages, and logans speech was way out of character even for him

I didn't feel like it was missing any pages, but Logan was being pretty brutal. I expect (hope) he was just trying to scare the kids.

yeah but even after they were gone he was talking about gutting her. i know logans a hardass but that just seemed out of character.

as much as i'm enjoying the book the editorial staff should have had a closer look between character development and costumes

AfghanAnt

It's Magneto and the Scarlet Witch he was talking about though. Magneto ripped the adamantium from his bones (against other things) and Scarlet Witch basically Hitler'd the mutant race. I thought his attitude was about right for someone who has no problem killing for lesser reasons.

I DID think Iron Man was out of character though.

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 05, 2010, 02:29:01 PM
I DID think Iron Man was out of character though.

Did Iron Man even say anything? Honestly I don't remember.

I'm with AA to some extent, it isn't unreasonable for Wolverine to say they should kill the Scarlet Witch. She's potentially too dangerous and Wolverine's always been the first to go with the permanent solution. Still I don't think Wolverine would just run in and gut her before knowing what her current state is. He's being more brutal than I'd want, but I don't think it's too out of character.

As for him being out of character I was referring to him threatening to kill the kids. I remember him saying something like that.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

Yeah, wolvie kind of can be played both ways... he is the guy who will pull the trigger the day a hero needs to be taken out (and has done so in the past) but also he is the one that often gets melted to the bown to save a hero.

I need to pick up childrens crusade... mini series often pass me by but I LOVE the young avengers, they really need an ongoing.

BlueBard

Quote from: Podmark on September 02, 2010, 06:57:33 PM
It appears that Hank Pym will be returning to the Giant-Man identitiy in Avengers Academy #7:
http://i.livescience.com/images/AVENGERSACAD_7_MCKONE_02.jpg

Costume looks a bit like his costume for the upcoming Avengers cartoon so that makes sense. I'm a little disappointed that he's changing IDs again. I kinda liked the Wasp identity and the development Slott did with the character while he was wearing it. Still I love Hank so I'm looking forward to the issue. I wonder what causes Hank to change? Maybe a breakthrough in bringing Jan back?
Also this is going to be a little confusing with the Ant-Man & the Wasp mini, teaming up Eric O'Grady and Hank, running at the same time.

And the whole "I can't grow anymore because it would kill me" thing gets swept under the rug?  Or will they actually bother to explain it?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Podmark

Quote from: BlueBard on September 07, 2010, 02:51:08 PM

And the whole "I can't grow anymore because it would kill me" thing gets swept under the rug?  Or will they actually bother to explain it?

That was written out at least over a decade ago, though I'm not sure when or by who. Hank has freely grown during Busiek, Johns, Austen, Bendis, and Slott's runs. He shrinks and grows as the Wasp.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Alaric

Quote from: Podmark on September 07, 2010, 05:28:52 PM
Quote from: BlueBard on September 07, 2010, 02:51:08 PM

That was written out at least over a decade ago, though I'm not sure when or by who. Hank has freely grown during Busiek, Johns, Austen, Bendis, and Slott's runs. He shrinks and grows as the Wasp.

It was during Bob Harras' run, in the '90s. Hank resumed his Giant Man identity, can't remember how... I have the "Avengers 40 year collection" dvd, which has every issue from 1963 through 2005, including annuals (unfortunately, it doesn't include Giant Size or West Coast), so I could look it up if anyone's really interested...
Fear the "A"!!!

lugaru

So Taskmaster was a favorite of mine already... his powers are cool and I like the concept behind him. Then he taught in The Initiative and I got even more into the character, since I got to read about him regularly.

Now he has his own Mini, and Taskmaster #1 did not dissapoint. It does not hurt that they got Fred VanLente to write the book, and he rarely does wrong by me. Also it explores the mechanics behind his ability to memorize martial arts moves, and has a dozen lame supervillain henchmen groups thrown in for good measure.

Podmark

So after taking a few issues off during OMIT I'm back to reading Spidey again, yay! New issue isn't too special but premise of Doc Ock getting numerous Spidey villains to capture Lily and Norman's baby has some potential.

X-Force Sex and Violence finished up this week. I really enjoyed the mini. It had nice art and it was a fun little story. I didn't expect to like it this much but it was a nice going away present from Yost and Kyle. I'm going to miss those guys.
Best part:
Spoiler
Wolverine and Domino are at the mercy of the Assassins Guild when the Hand shows up, but they're not really the Hand - they're X-Force. Much violence and victory ensues.

Also the Thanos Imperative continues to be a solid read.

Next week the X-23 ongoing starts up. I'm really thinking of picking it up. I wasn't huge on the character when she first came to comics but she's grown on me. I'd like to see what comes next.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deano_ue

so two marvel comics that you ever love or hate

curse of the mutants

Spoiler
ok i seem to be the only guy on here enjoying this at some level. i will admit the plot is weak and the characterisation is way off on some people, but what can i say my immature love of vampires and the x-men seem to keep bringing me back. i think it may go back to my comic beginning on of my first comics i ever seen but never read was what if wolverine became the vampire king, maybe that has something to do with it or maybe i'm just a rubber neck at a car crash

OMIT

Spoiler
can someone find joey q cause that git just kicked me in the jimmies

Spe-Dog

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on September 10, 2010, 06:33:01 PM
so two marvel comics that you ever love or hate

curse of the mutants

Spoiler
ok i seem to be the only guy on here enjoying this at some level. i will admit the plot is weak and the characterisation is way off on some people, but what can i say my immature love of vampires and the x-men seem to keep bringing me back. i think it may go back to my comic beginning on of my first comics i ever seen but never read was what if wolverine became the vampire king, maybe that has something to do with it or maybe i'm just a rubber neck at a car crash

OMIT

Spoiler
can someone find joey q cause that git just kicked me in the jimmies

I too remember the What If...? special with Wolvie as king of the vampires and really hope that some of that is factored in.  Either his healing factor should change him back or he should just try and take over and then maybe they will realize bringing him across was a HUGE mistake.  Either way, I have a hard time thinking that Logan will just capitulate and be evil just out of nowhere.  Now as for OMIT...

Don't you hate going into something and feeling like an idiot for doing it, but you do anyway just out of blind hope?  Then feeling like an even bigger idiot because you're proven to be an idiot even though you knew it was going to happen anyway?  That is my feeling after buying these issues of Amazing Spider-Man.  I broke my vow and purchased the OMIT issues of Amazing; my first issue of any Spider-Man title since OMD.  Once that went down, I swore off collecting Spidey, a character I had been collecting for around 25 years...yes, they are fictional characters but that is how offended I was and it bugs me monthly to see his title on the shelf and not pick it up.  So, yeah, I have a definite opinion.  When they cancel a character you enjoy, at least that is it; it is over.  With Spider-Man, it's like Joe Q. cancelled Spider-Man and yet kept publishing it anyway as a tease.  It is melodramatic, yes, but it is a wound that will not heal because it is in your face EVERY week when you go get new books.  There used to be a choice for everyone.  If you liked married Spidey, you have 616 universe; if you wanted single Spidey you had the ultimate universe; and if you wanted MJ's and Peter's child to be a part of their lives you had Spider-Girl...then Joe started his anti marriage crusade.  He unmarried Peter, and then said that if you loved married Peter to keep reading Spider-Girl...even though he was no longer active as Spider-Man which was of no help, but at least there was still some choice.  Then that book got cancelled, and now you have no choices.  You buy his Spider-Man (and this one only) and his opinion of what makes the character great or you can read Wikipedia, borrow issues from friends to keep up, or just read reprints of Stan Lee's ongoing newspaper comic which still has the character married; again you know where I fall.  I've taken my love of Spider-Man underground for several years now and hoped that with the end of BND and OMIT maybe at the least Peter and MJ would be in a relationship again...maybe not undoing the Mephisto mess but at least have them as a couple again.  The first issues of the storyline seemed to be pointing that way and then...Joe Q shows you how weak of a person he thinks MJ is again.  Right after OMD, I read a lot of articles and responses from Quesada about how it was MJ who made the deal with the devil, and not Peter.  She threw away her marriage for May.  I understand what she means to Peter, but it would have been a Brand New Day without May instead of what could actually be called "The Same Old Day" since most of this seems like a re-tread of stories that have already been written and from what I have read of them, none of them had to have a single Spidey in them to be told...that was just Joe's "justification" to throw a monkey wrench into the mythos, but I'm getting off point.  In this new storyline, he has MJ give up their relationship again and just pretty much whine and cry the WHOLE time about what a trial it is to be with Peter.  GEEZ!  So, let me get this straight: she gives up on the marriage but says that she and Peter will be together again because their love is so super duper strong and then at the ultimate moment when they can come back together again she walks away again!?  I think my head exploded when I read that. (Yes, think Scanners and you get the idea) In addition, there is still the matter of Peter's powers from 'The Other' storyline which has STILL NOT BEEN ADDRESSED.  Quesada has said that the even did happen and that Peter did still have those powers, but if that is the case why are we going back to the web shooters and Peter running out of fluid every 15 minutes?  Did we just conveniently forget this or what?  Oh that's right, "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."  I'm done.  I'm sick and I am done with Spider-Man all together until a change in editorial at least.  Quesada has done some things right for Marvel and really helped them creatively as a whole, but I cannot say that I am okay with some of these changes and as a long time fan it makes me almost physically ill to stop hoping now (up until now I at least had that) and realize that anything that even resembles throwing some fans a bone is nothing but a thinly veiled method of raising the company's revenue stream.  I have to go throw up now.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Podmark

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 12, 2010, 02:21:58 PM
Don't you hate going into something and feeling like an idiot for doing it, but you do anyway just out of blind hope?  Then feeling like an even bigger idiot because you're proven to be an idiot even though you knew it was going to happen anyway? 

Yeah that's why I skipped the OMIT issues.

I haven't seen the sales for the OMIT issues but I really hope they're not too much higher than stuff like Grim Hunt. Everyone seems to hate OMD so why would you pick up an arc that's only purpose is to explain the changes between it and BND. Did people actually think it might make OMD better somehow? That's probably not possible. Or is it the train wreck effect where everyone wants to pick it up to see how worse it can get?
I read the interviews and previews and I never got any impression that this would be anything more than checking off a list of 'how'd this happen'. I've read every issue of BND and I enjoy the run but I didn't see any reason to pick OMIT.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Spe-Dog

I wasn't sure that it was going to make OMD or BND any better, but I had some hope.  That hope culminated in the kiss that MJ laid on Pete...and then crashed to the ground and was stomped upon personally by Joey Q in the very next panel.  Sadly, it even fell short on the explaining how it all happened as the issue didn't give any insight into Peter's missing powers.  I understand that everyone has an opinion and I will not say that it is wrong one way or the other but nothing done since OMD has added anything meaningful to the mythos and could have been done with them married as well.  Change for changes sake never makes sense.  With that, I climb off the soapbox.

I did also read the new iteration of the Phantom from Dynamite.  Pick it up.  It was really amazing and really a bit of a fresh take on the character.  I've always dug the Phantom and this was an excellent restart.  Give it a shot!
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Podmark

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 13, 2010, 01:12:26 AMand could have been done with them married as well. 

Totally agree, nothing in BND needed an unmarried Spidey. While I like BND I'm with everyone else that OMD was stupid.

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 13, 2010, 01:12:26 AM
I did also read the new iteration of the Phantom from Dynamite.  Pick it up.  It was really amazing and really a bit of a fresh take on the character.  I've always dug the Phantom and this was an excellent restart.  Give it a shot!

Wha-What-What? This is the Marvel Thread! Take your take of other companies comics to the appropriate thread or face Stan Lee's wrath! :P
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Spe-Dog

True enough, but everyone always needs a palate cleanser.  :D  I was overcome with excitement for just a moment...composure regained, pulse slowing...non-Marvel speak shall cease now.  :doh:

marhawkman

I like Curse of the mutants.  The premise is fun!

Haven't paid much attention to spidey since BND started....

Previsionary

Wow, haven't posted in this thread in a while... wonder why?

Anyway, could it be? The Return of Heroes for Hire featuring Falcon and Elektra (as revealed so far) and drawn by Harvey Tolibao? I may consider this book... as long as it doesn't feature a cover full of busty women and tentacles.
Disappear when you least expe--

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on September 17, 2010, 04:30:42 PM
I may consider this book... as long as it doesn't feature a cover full of busty women and tentacles.

Sounds like Japanese cartoons.

AfghanAnt

Wait Elektra is going to a hero for hire? Blah...

BTW a Black Panther and Falcon title would be infinitely more entertaining as long as they were both written as angry black men trying to change society one bigot at a time.

Previsionary

Won't happen. T'challa is now Daredevil... or so I'm hearing. Meh. ALSO, Banshee and Thunderbird return: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28366
Disappear when you least expe--

crimsonquill

Quote from: Previsionary on September 18, 2010, 02:38:51 AM
ALSO, Banshee and Thunderbird return: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28366

No need to panic Prev.. It's part of the Chaos King storyline which runs into the next year I believe (hence the previews of Dead Avengers, Dead Alpha Flight, and other titles as such). Lots of dead heroes will be restored to life in this "big crossover event" but rumors are that the majority of them will remain dead afterwards. It's not like the writers planned on having a big event with the technorganic virus raising mutant villains and heroes then just a few months later decide to resurrect everyone else including mutants because Marvel decided to have a much bigger event with Gods that kinda makes the previous story kinda redundant. Vampires, zombies, and "walking dead" kinda seem to be the obvious default supernatural storylines these days isn't it?

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Silver Shocker

I actually am kinda interested in Chaos War, particularly the X-Men one (and Dead Avengers is on my radar; not an instant buy yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it and we'll see if my standing on it changes come interview and preview time).

I find myself low on books right now, so I'm looking a bit into trying other books. There's a really good chance I'll pick up Hickman and Pacheco's Ultimate Thor mini. I've heard plenty of high praise for Hickman and I'm kinda curious to read something by him to see what I thought, and I think Pacheco's current work is awesome.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

bat1987

Quote from: Previsionary on September 18, 2010, 02:38:51 AM
Won't happen. T'challa is now Daredevil... or so I'm hearing. Meh.

It appears so
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ComicBookNews/news/?a=22634
Spoiler

To be more precise he`ll just have the "man without fear" title, since apparently Daredevil won`t be around after Shadowland is over.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on September 17, 2010, 04:30:42 PM
Wow, haven't posted in this thread in a while... wonder why?

Anyway, could it be? The Return of Heroes for Hire featuring Falcon and Elektra (as revealed so far) and drawn by Harvey Tolibao? I may consider this book... as long as it doesn't feature a cover full of busty women and tentacles.

LOL!  Bustacles...Anyway...I have to take issue with a team of heroes accepting an assassin into their ranks (considering Elektra's teaser has her walking away from the dead body of her victim)...Seems a bit at odds with what they should be standing for.  What exactly is this "Age of Heroes" thing really about, if the "heroes" aren't more heroic than they have been?

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 17, 2010, 05:22:15 PM

BTW a Black Panther and Falcon title would be infinitely more entertaining as long as they were both written as angry black men trying to change society one bigot at a time.

I dunno...I always liked the "Falcon as a social worker, trying to do good in the streets" angle...Do we really need more angry black men, perpetuating the stereotype?  Wait...Are you being sarcastic, AA?

Dana

AfghanAnt

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on September 19, 2010, 08:04:37 PM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 17, 2010, 05:22:15 PM

I dunno...I always liked the "Falcon as a social worker, trying to do good in the streets" angle...Do we really need more angry black men, perpetuating the stereotype?  Wait...Are you being sarcastic, AA?

Dana

Yes, that was my attempt at humor but I do think a buddy comic starring the two would be interesting.

Podmark

Just saw on newsarama that the new Heroes for Hire series will be written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning with Brad Walker on art. Normally I wouldn't have any interest in a Heroes for Hire series but DnA writing piques my interest.

But more interesting/worrying to me is that they DnA and Walker were the team on Guardians of the Galaxy. With DnA also writing the Thor/Iron Man and Groot/Rocket Raccoon minis I'm getting worried they won't be writing whatever cosmic book(s) follow the Thanos Imperative.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Deadpool romancing Siryn courtesy of previous Deadpool artist and co-writer, Reilly Brown.

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on September 22, 2010, 07:52:24 PM
Deadpool romancing Siryn courtesy of previous Deadpool artist and co-writer, Reilly Brown.

I think she would have preferred the diamond ring.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Spe-Dog

I'm ok with DD being replaced with Black Panther for the interim but what does that do with his marriage to Storm...they are still married, yes?  The Incredible Hulks storyline is getting interesting again, but I'm getting a bit tired of splitting the book with only a few pages of Bruce and company and then Hiro-Kala.  Both are interesting but I think both suffer from the small amount of space given here.  The X-men/Dracula storyline is kind of interesting and amusing but I am just not buying into Wolverine just being a rank and file vampire though...still want to see where that goes.  The new team on Thor looks good and I'm looking forward to where this goes, but the vibe between Blake and Thor seems...odd or off; does anyone else see how the dynamic has changed so drastically with no explanation since Siege?