The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

Is Secret Avengers boring anyone else?

lugaru

Quote from: AfghanAnt on August 18, 2010, 10:40:11 PM

My comic book store is good about having the last 2 or 3 issues available so I have not picked up anything yet after the first one but the first one seemed cool. The team is a little awkward though... why is beast not on the regular avengers and logan on the secret ones?

Also: dead avengers looks really cool, I love stories like that. For example a while back there was Dead Girl (from Xtatix) with a bunch of dead heroes in the afterlife.

cmdrkoenig67

I'm only excited that THE Alpha Flight is coming back (McCann said they are totally resurrected, so I guess they are back for good...or most of them, anyway)...Oh and characters form the Micronauts in Incredible Hulks: Enigma Force!  Yay!...I can start buying comics again (at least, for a little while).

I wish Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't on "hiatus"... :thumbdown:

Dana

Previsionary

Quote from: lugaru on August 19, 2010, 12:22:17 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on August 18, 2010, 10:40:11 PM

My comic book store is good about having the last 2 or 3 issues available so I have not picked up anything yet after the first one but the first one seemed cool. The team is a little awkward though... why is beast not on the regular avengers and logan on the secret ones?

Because bendis controls 3 Avengers books (I'm including the Prime mini) and didn't want Beast. He just wanted to write the New Avenger teams... twice w/ guests. Secret Avengers also wouldn't fit Logan because they're not X-force. They're not trying to spill blood and get into extreme action, which is how most writers like Logan.
Disappear when you least expe--

Xenolith

Secret Avengers is the only Avengers title I read.  The rest bored me silly so I dropped them.  Brubaker really draws stories out though, which is frustrating. 

marhawkman

I like the ones with the kids.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: marhawkman on August 19, 2010, 06:27:18 PM
I like the ones with the kids.

Yeah I realized today I only like Avengers Academy and Avengers: Children Crusade. The rest of the Avengers titles can pay it.

marhawkman

Pretty much.  New characters that are interesting.  the only interesting character on the other books are Bucky and strange, but that's because they're in new roles.

Previsionary

Well, I read the new Powerman book. I thought it was pretty good, despite it tying into the Shadowland stuff, which I could've sworn was going to be a SMALLLLLLLL event, not one with 6ish tie-ins. I like that the new Power man is of a mixed descent, and if it interests anyone, he's also bilingual (English/Spanish). It's a step in the right direction for diversifying heroes, and I wasn't annoyed by him at all, despite him taking Luke's name and shtick. As it stands, it's a book I'd recommend to anyone even if you aren't getting caught up with the Daredevil stuff. Luckily, Van Lente keeps this books on the outskirts of all the DD happenings and fills in everything you need to know to enjoy this story. 3.5 out of 5.
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Well that's good to hear, I thought the character looked kinda cool.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I would also recommend the new Power Man book. It was surprisingly good.

AfghanAnt

Generation Hope cover - http://io9.com/5620034/30%252B-comics-that-were-craving-this-fall/gallery/24

This actually makes me hopeful for the title. Olivier Coipel should draw everything.

Podmark

I do like the cover but the interior artist is Salva Espin, who I'm not familiar with. I'm not planning to pick up Generation Hope, but I'll keep an eye on it. Might change my mind.

I was actually really worried Greg Land was going to be doing the art.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on August 24, 2010, 03:18:20 AM
I do like the cover but the interior artist is Salva Espin, who I'm not familiar with. I'm not planning to pick up Generation Hope, but I'll keep an eye on it. Might change my mind.

I was actually really worried Greg Land was going to be doing the art.
I liked his work on Exiles. It was blah but very likable. I hope Olivier is doing the cover a while ala Cheung Secret Warriors. I actually only bought copies of Secret Warriors for the covers some times.

Spe-Dog

Jeph Loeb actually wrote a Hulk comic that was written as though it was the modern day and not overpowered by his nostalgia...that and Ross was so STOMPED by Bruce.  So loving it....Greg Pak is on the book, the Hulk doesn't speak like a 4 year old and the Worldbreaker/Bruce Hulk has returned.  Yay!  Now if only they would stop screwing up DD and undo the Mephisto/Spidey nonsense, all would be right (mostly) with the Mavel U.  Maybe...
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Podmark

Just read some comics

In Young Allies we learn that
Spoiler
Warhead isn't really the son of Radioactive Man and the characters theorize that the other Bastards of Evil aren't who they claim to be either. The mastermind behind them is revealed to be a kid named Superior who claims to be the son of the Leader.
Been liking this book. I can't say there's anything special about it, but it's enjoyable.

And in Young Avengers: Children's Crusade:
Spoiler
The kids meet Magneto who wants to help them find Wanda, then have to fight the Avengers who don't trust Magneto and don't want the kids to find Wanda, then Wiccan uses his magic to teleport the kids and Magneto to Transia, and then Magneto Wiccan and Speed use magic to locate Wanda but first they run into Quicksilver (who unlike other characters is in his current costume) and he doesn't trust Magneto and attacks him in the town but his attack ends up impaling Wanda.

And then it's revealed that Wanda is really a Doombot - and the real Wanda is a captive of Doctor Doom.
Good book, great art. Twist at the end surprises and intrigues me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Spe-Dog

I've loved Daredevil for years but, really, is anyone else feeling that the Shadowland storyline feels a bit forced or contrived?
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Podmark

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 02, 2010, 02:58:40 AM
I've loved Daredevil for years but, really, is anyone else feeling that the Shadowland storyline feels a bit forced or contrived?

I've never really read Daredevil and I'm only vaguely following whats going on with Shadowland, but the general premise seems interesting to me. I can easily see why DD fans would be upset considering they've basically made him a villain.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Spe-Dog

I'm not upset, per se, but (and I hate the use of the word organic) the story doesn't feel like it grew organically; like it was a real growth out of previous storylines.  It seems more like something the writer wanted to explore and instead of building up to it, he just shoehorned it into the book.

lugaru

I'm glad to get a street level event around Matt Murdoch but I would have prefered it under other circumstances. I'm actually cool with Matt taking over the hand and trying to reign them in and there have been some great moments so far so I'm giving it a chance. Still I know this ends with a re-defining of Murdoch and that is sad, he is one of my favorite characters in comics. Hopefully we can keep getting a Matt Murdoch comic even if somebody else is Daredevil... I would love to read a comic of him and his crazy relationships, court battles and occasional street fights.

I cant see myself really reading a Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne book but Matt is really interesting without the mask.

Podmark

It appears that Hank Pym will be returning to the Giant-Man identitiy in Avengers Academy #7:
http://i.livescience.com/images/AVENGERSACAD_7_MCKONE_02.jpg

Costume looks a bit like his costume for the upcoming Avengers cartoon so that makes sense. I'm a little disappointed that he's changing IDs again. I kinda liked the Wasp identity and the development Slott did with the character while he was wearing it. Still I love Hank so I'm looking forward to the issue. I wonder what causes Hank to change? Maybe a breakthrough in bringing Jan back?
Also this is going to be a little confusing with the Ant-Man & the Wasp mini, teaming up Eric O'Grady and Hank, running at the same time.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

I dont mind... for some reason I was used to Jan being wasp but seing Pym run around in a costume that prominently showed his blond hair always made me think "hey, it is white anglo saxon protestant man!". Still Mighty Avengers really got me back into Hank Pym again so I just hope his character continues to be cool.

herodad1

white anglo saxon protestant man? WOW! that sounds like me only i'm not protestant and dont size change.  :blink: 

Spe-Dog

Is it Hank or someone else taking over the role?  If it is Hank, maybe this is just a one off.  Wouldn't be uncommon for him to rotate between identities.

Podmark

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 02, 2010, 11:40:24 PM
Is it Hank or someone else taking over the role?  If it is Hank, maybe this is just a one off.  Wouldn't be uncommon for him to rotate between identities.

The press release didn't say so, but the report I read from Fan Expo said that it was "the still-living Giant-Man's resumption of that name", so I'd say it's Hank. It could be a one off, but I'd bet against it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Spe-Dog

...Clint was a Giant Man for a while too and he's still sucking air... :doh:

Podmark

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 03, 2010, 01:31:46 AM
...Clint was a Giant Man for a while too and he's still sucking air... :doh:

Technically Clint was Goliath not Giant-Man. The only other Giant-Man I know of was Bill Foster, who was also (and died as) Goliath.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

Quote from: herodad1 on September 02, 2010, 08:20:50 PM
white anglo saxon protestant man? WOW! that sounds like me only i'm not protestant and dont size change.  :blink: 

Yeah, WASP is a crappy term, redundant as heck (anglo saxon and white) but I hear it a lot in literary criticism and political discussions when they refer to the (now dying) upper class.

I'm still a little upset about Bill Foster, and while I like the Giant Man persona more than the current one I wish he would drop the 1960s looking antenas. He does not need to go all Ultimate, just streamline a little. 

deano_ue

Quote from: Podmark on September 01, 2010, 07:47:18 PM

And in Young Avengers: Children's Crusade:
Spoiler
The kids meet Magneto who wants to help them find Wanda, then have to fight the Avengers who don't trust Magneto and don't want the kids to find Wanda, then Wiccan uses his magic to teleport the kids and Magneto to Transia, and then Magneto Wiccan and Speed use magic to locate Wanda but first they run into Quicksilver (who unlike other characters is in his current costume) and he doesn't trust Magneto and attacks him in the town but his attack ends up impaling Wanda.

And then it's revealed that Wanda is really a Doombot - and the real Wanda is a captive of Doctor Doom.
Good book, great art. Twist at the end surprises and intrigues me.

was i the only one who thought his issue was missing pages, and logans speech was way out of character even for him

Podmark

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on September 04, 2010, 07:03:15 PM
was i the only one who thought his issue was missing pages, and logans speech was way out of character even for him

I didn't feel like it was missing any pages, but Logan was being pretty brutal. I expect (hope) he was just trying to scare the kids.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page