News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on July 17, 2010, 04:51:03 PM

agreed grim hunt was a lot better than i thought it had any right to be, it'll be one that works really well as a tpb, one thing though

Spoiler
when in the hell did spidey learn to the whole mark of kaine thing

Spoiler
I guess it's really just using his spider clinging ability and using that to rip off skin, so it wouldn't be hard to do. There was a lot of spiritual stuff going on in that arc maybe it had something to do with that.

Anyway I'm probably off Spidey for the next arc. I gotta a feeling that Quesada's just going to muck things up.

Quote from: Previsionary on July 17, 2010, 04:19:45 PM
Wolverine doesn't want X23 on the team anymore. He finally decided to stop using her as a weapon and let her attempt at becoming a little more regular. Henceforth, she will be getting said development in her solo ongoing. Domino... eh, who knows?

Yeah I was wondering about Domino as well. She fits really well and I can't understand why Wolverine wouldn't want her there. I'll probably ask about that when Remender does an X-Position on CBR.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Should I be reading Spidey? I haven't read a Spider-man comic since I was like 13 but oddly enough this appeals to me.

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 17, 2010, 08:09:03 PM
Should I be reading Spidey? I haven't read a Spider-man comic since I was like 13 but oddly enough this appeals to me.

I've really been enjoying it, but you have to put up with different writers and artist every few issues so the overall reading experience is uneven. Subplots sometimes go too long without being touched while they wait for the writer who started them to come back through the rotation. If you want to hit the trades or back issues there's a bunch of stories I'd recommend. If your interested in the new issues you should keep in mind that rumour is the book is about to change format in the near future.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

Also if you havent read spidey since you where 13 there is a lot of good spidey here and there to choose from if you go to the trades. But for recent stuff I also highly recomend "Fever", a psychedelic spidey and stephen strange story.

Previsionary

Hrm, AA, with OMIT being the next spidey story, which explains the particularities behind MJ and Pete's split (I.E., the follow up to One More Day) as written by Joe Quesada, I wouldn't advise jumping into the current storyline, but there's no issues with you reading the earlier BND stuff since it was made with new comers in mind. The constant web jamming may annoy you though. :P
Disappear when you least expe--

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on July 17, 2010, 08:53:45 PM
Hrm, AA, with OMIT being the next spidey story, which explains the particularities behind MJ and Pete's split (I.E., the follow up to One More Day) as written by Joe Quesada, I wouldn't advise jumping into the current storyline, but there's no issues with you reading the earlier BND stuff since it was made with new comers in mind. The constant web jamming may annoy you though. :P

Ok. I've really enjoyed Ultimate Comics Spidey but I have been staying far way from 616 Spidey because of all the horrible things I've heard (Gwen being cloned, Kaine, Anti-Venom, Chameleon raping Pete's roommate and the MJ/Pete marriage being magically annulled) this story and the one with the Rhino seems awesome. Maybe I'll pick up the first couple of this current run (what issue should I start with) and work my way backwards.

Podmark

The current run Brand New Day started with Amazing Spider-Man 546 which starts a three issue arc by Dan Slott and Steve McNiven. I liked that one and it introduces most of the elements that were in play for the first year.
Some of the better stories in my opinion:

New Ways to Die 568-573 - introduces Anit-Venom and pits Spider-Man against Norman Osborn and the Thunderbolts.
American Son 595-599 - essentially a sequel to New Ways to Die pitting Spidey against Norman and the Dark Avengers
611 - Joe Kelley written Deadpool, one of Deadpool's best appearances  since C&D ended.
617 & 625 - the Rhino story which is 2 of the best comics I've read.
Grim Hunt 634-637 - The just finished Kraven arc.

If you get Grim Hunt you might want to start with Kraven's First Hunt 565-567 which starts up the story. Story is decent and the art is Phil Jimenez who developed the story.

So maybe start at the beginning if you like maybe keep going, if not just try some of the stories I listed.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

Spider-Man The List was great too... him Vs Norman in Ironman Armor. Great fight, good dialog, nice ending.

Epimethee

Atlas cancelled... Sigh.

Aside: The iPad is a surprisingly great comic book reading platform. Now, Marvel (and other publishers), try to offer a few more recent titles, OK?
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Previsionary

Sorry for asking, but this just clicked in my mind. Pod, UE... did they get around to explaining Arana's power loss? It'd be kinda weird for Young Allies to tell us to read this story to find out why and then not have it explained. Maybe it's been relegated to the Spider-girl book coming up?

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on July 19, 2010, 04:53:28 AM
Sorry for asking, but this just clicked in my mind. Pod, UE... did they get around to explaining Arana's power loss? It'd be kinda weird for Young Allies to tell us to read this story to find out why and then not have it explained. Maybe it's been relegated to the Spider-girl book coming up?

She didn't lose her powers in Grim Hunt, and it didn't show or mention Arana having powers either. I'm not really well versed in Arana's history, but the end of the Young Allies had a recap on each character and in the Arana section it mentioned her relinquishing her powers in a past story. I'd have to dig up the issue but I think it was a story before she was in Ms Marvel, so I don't really know what's going on with her powers.

I think the footnote in Young Allies was just referring to the new costume and being referred to as Spider-Girl. I thought it was a weird footnote to begin with as it didn't seem to be referring to anything specifically.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Xenolith

My review of Avengers 3.  My last issue of that series.

So...
Yeah?
I read it.
Right.
What happens?
Well...
Why the pause?
Things happened.
Really?
Yeah.  A thousand things.  On the first two pages.
Really.
Yes.
So, anything else.
Hawkeye.
Barely in it?
Yeah.  But also the coloring thing.
Bad?
Well...
Well, what?
His uniform is colored in three different ways.
Oh?
Yeah.
Anything else?
Yeah, space boy.
What?
Right.  Randomly inserted.  Strange.
Okay.
And broken dialogue.  Maybe 50% complete sentences.
Because people talk that way.
They do?
Yeah.
Boring.
Yeah.

Nice art, but the coloring is terrible and the dialogue is dreadful.  For the record, I gave it a shot.  Three to be specific.

murs47

Quote from: Xenolith on July 21, 2010, 10:12:06 PM
Nice art, but the coloring is terrible and the dialogue is dreadful.  For the record, I gave it a shot.  Three to be specific.

Heh, one issue longer than I did. I simply gave it a glance on the shelf today.

Previsionary

I gave it 2 myself. The dialogue and rushed art in the preceding issue drove me up a wall and through the roof. Now, who has read OMIT and how mad will the internetz be?

*I hate how people who love Bendis's ode to David Mamet try to say everyone speaks that way. I certainly don't, and I've never heard anyone speak like that. I'd be so annoyed if someone kept interrupting and repeating me. Besides, every character speaking like that in his books when they have such diverse backgrounds is automatically wrong to me. Ultimate Spidey, fine. Avengers... no.

Xenolith

It seems like the sole reason for Spidey to be there is to facilitate that dialogue.

AfghanAnt

I actually thought it was the best issue of the series so far. I liked the end and the dialog didn't bother me but I'm a fan of Ult Spidey.

deano_ue

just started reading spidey so lets see how this goes..............BAH SCARY RED HEADED LADY

Spoiler
so what have we learnt so far, the wedding is called off because peter gets knocked out during a fight and sleeps through it, really guys this is the best crap you can come up with, ohh that parker luck, boring excuse hopefully the next part gives us something better

ohh and lest not forget the obligatory gwen is is only one true love **** we have to have shoved down our throats, we get it jo Q you like gwen and MJ is ruined the comic.

it was paced decently but nothing spectacular but the art bloody hell. i will put my hand on the bible and say i can not draw for crap but seriously what the hell was up with the proportions for this, the atomic chins are back and it seems MJ  hit the junk food and peters hit the crack

Previsionary

But UE... he got hit by a brick (cinder block). The brick is an excellent villain in MU. First, Cyclops, now Spidey. Acceptable. His enhanced healing took a day off, me thinks.

But... we finally know what MJ whispered to Mephisto that took 3 years to reveal. Was the reveal worth keeping a secret for so long?

Talavar

Quote from: Previsionary on July 22, 2010, 05:14:02 PM
But UE... he got hit by a brick (cinder block). The brick is an excellent villain in MU. First, Cyclops, now Spidey. Acceptable. His enhanced healing took a day off, me thinks.

But... we finally know what MJ whispered to Mephisto that took 3 years to reveal. Was the reveal worth keeping a secret for so long?

Spoil please: what did she say?

Previsionary

First two pages of the book:

Spoiler

deano_ue

yeah all that time and though it shows how much MJ loved pete, part of me thought, is that it

though "So I guess the fat guy who falls on Spidey to prevent the marriage is a metaphor for Joe Q?" quote of the week

Talavar

Thanks for that Prev.  Not only have you satisfied my curiosity, but strengthened my resolve to continue not reading Spider-man.

Previsionary

But Talavar... Pete got smacked by a brick! The legendary brick clan is trying to knock sense into all these heroes! I'm a big fan of the brick clan so far... even large ones that couldn't possibly be tossed into the air by a normal man... not in the way this one was. But who cares? Brick totally owned Spidey. Who'll be next? Hulk? Tony? Logan? Cyclops again?

Xenolith

How do you know these bricks aren't really Skrulls in disguise?

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
The fact that his response is "As far as I'm concerned this never happened" makes me think that since "this never happened" he can screw with peter any time he wants because "this never happened"
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Talavar

Quote from: Previsionary on July 22, 2010, 10:54:16 PM
But Talavar... Pete got smacked by a brick! The legendary brick clan is trying to knock sense into all these heroes! I'm a big fan of the brick clan so far... even large ones that couldn't possibly be tossed into the air by a normal man... not in the way this one was. But who cares? Brick totally owned Spidey. Who'll be next? Hulk? Tony? Logan? Cyclops again?

I can't wait until the next Marvel mega-event: World War Brick!  Or maybe Avengers: Brick-ssembled.

PS: when did Cyclops get hit with a brick?

cmdrkoenig67

Regardless, Mephisto is a liar...He always has been always will be.  Both MJ and Peter are fools to think he'll keep any sort of bargain with them.  AFAIC, Peter and Mary Jane were written as if they are idiots during that whole mess.

Dana

Previsionary

Quote from: Talavar on July 23, 2010, 04:04:25 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on July 22, 2010, 10:54:16 PM

I can't wait until the next Marvel mega-event: World War Brick!  Or maybe Avengers: Brick-ssembled.

PS: when did Cyclops get hit with a brick?

Utopia -- Dark Avengers vs. X-men. It was my avatar for about a month. That's how much I loved it.

OMIT:

The opening two pages made me think Joe Q was doing damage control on Peter. Sure, he made MJ look heroic in her own sense, but Joey also removed more blame from Peter and placed it on MJ for CONVINCING Pete to give up their marriage. Editorial has been putting blame on MJ since that story ended, and now they're cementing it. It's so sad that it took 3 years for them to get back to this lingering plot line, and it's this that they came up with.

Previsionary

Rumors are confirmed... The "Brand New Day" era comes to a close, and Dan Slott will be the sole writer of ASM:

Quote from: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27460Issue #647 may be the final issue of you guys working together as a team on "Amazing Spider-Man," but it's not the final issue of the series. Any hints or teases as to how this issue leaves Spidey and how it sets the stage for issue #648, which I believe marks the beginning of Dan's run as the sole writer on the book?

Slott: Well, I've already written stuff for next March. So if it doesn't end with Pete and Norman Osborn playing Twister in a vat of Jello, I'm hosed. 'Cause that's where I'm picking up from.

Any final thoughts you would like to share about "Amazing Spider-Man" #647 or your work as a whole on the series?

Wells:We had our last conference call a week ago, but none of us could bring ourselves to admit it. Steve had to quickly schedule another one once everything was finished. We weren't ready to let it go.

Slott: This was a really great experience. Everyone was really supportive and inspiring. I'm going to miss being part of this team.

Kelly: The only thing I wanted to add as a final thought was mega - kudos to Steve, Tom and Tom. We writer-types got breaks in between issues and arcs, but editorial as a whole really held the ship together and not only pulled off the herculean feat of putting out essentially 3 books a month for 3 years, but they were good books. And they shook up Spidey's world, suffered the slings and arrows of naysayers, all with an unwavering directive: to take Spidey to new heights and give him a kick arse story. We just helped that along. Seriously, all credit is due to you guys.

deano_ue

is it sad that this whole BND only one story delivered the grim hunt. the two with the thunderbolts/dark avengers had promise but never really delivered

the rest meh