News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marhawkman

That Heinberg thing makes me wonder if they'll mention http://marvel.wikia.com/Sylvie_Lushton_(Earth-616) AKA "Enchantress".  Sylvie's origin has loads of loose ends that need tied up.  Such as why Loki's death affected her the way it did.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: marhawkman on July 07, 2010, 06:02:49 PM
That Heinberg thing makes me wonder if they'll mention http://marvel.wikia.com/Sylvie_Lushton_(Earth-616) AKA "Enchantress".  Sylvie's origin has loads of loose ends that need tied up.  Such as why Loki's death affected her the way it did.

I highly doubt they'll mention Sylvie especially since his backup is focusing on Magneto and the X-Men's (aka Wolverine) connection to Young Avengers. In fact, I highly doubt the Young Masters will make anything more than a mention or flashback in the 9 issue mini. It seems like Heinberg already has a lot to clarify with the paternity of Wiccan and Speed, as well as, the mutant decimation and Wanda's return.

Another thing, I wonder how Cyclops and his new position on the mutant race will react to Wanda's return and Magneto's expected defense of his daughter. In a way, Scott should consider her a Hitler/Stalin-like figure to the mutant race and I don't think Magneto is going to allow anything to happen to Wanda regardless of her past sins.

Previsionary

I was talking to SS about this a few days ago. We shouldn't expect anyone to pick up anything on the Young Masters now that Cornell is gone. Despite having a 2 page appearance in Age of Heroes, those characters still don't really have a future unless Sean McKeever picks them up, but he already has a group of villains for the Young Allies. I'm thinking the Young Masters will fade into limbo for a few years unless the Young Avengers finally get an ongoing or the Avenger Academy kids need some villain fodder. I don't think Marvel actually has long term plans for anything Cornell touched, which is unfortunate.

I mean, they were Norman's Young Avengers, and no one picked up on that fallen plot point at all. The fact that their story had to be tied up in an anthology should point out just how much Marvel cares about them. :P
Disappear when you least expe--

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on July 07, 2010, 06:19:46 PM
...those characters still don't really have a future unless Sean McKeever picks them up, but he already has a group of villains for the Young Allies.

Speaking of McKeever, I assumed Young Allies was a children friendly book, so consider me dumbfounded that Marvel allowed him to name his villain group "Bastards of Evil". I understand they are "The discarded and disavowed sons and daughters of supervillains" but really? Bastards of Evil?

Another thing, having a child of Radioactive Man when I assume Hazmat is going to be revealed as his child seems odd to me. In fact, the character designs and names of all the Bastards of Evil seem weak to me. Like they will die by the end of the first arc or something.

marhawkman

they don't seem to be all that adept at menacing the public yet...

Previsionary

I was surprised by that name as well, AA. Warhead (Radioactive man's son) should be quite the menace considering he and Gravity have already fought, and he managed to kill a few people and caused a lot of havoc with a radiation explosion. It could explain Gravity's darker disposition in Young Allies and why those two characters seem to have more tension between them.

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 07, 2010, 06:32:24 PM
Another thing, having a child of Radioactive Man when I assume Hazmat is going to be revealed as his child seems odd to me. In fact, the character designs and names of all the Bastards of Evil seem weak to me. Like they will die by the end of the first arc or something.

I don't have my issue with me at the moment but after reading Avengers Academy #1 I'm thinking she won't be related to him. Her last name was revealed to be Takeda which would make her Japanese-American rather than Chinese and I recall it mentioned both her parents when it talked about her origin. So I'm thinking she won't be his son but we'll see.

There always the possibility that the Bastards won't actually be the children of the villains they think they are too.

As for the Generation of Hope teasers I don't know what to think, but the third one I was thinking Wild Child too AA.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 07, 2010, 06:32:24 PM

Speaking of McKeever, I assumed Young Allies was a children friendly book, so consider me dumbfounded that Marvel allowed him to name his villain group "Bastards of Evil". I understand they are "The discarded and disavowed sons and daughters of supervillains" but really? Bastards of Evil?

The book's actual rating is T +, so mild language probably isn't that big a deal (not that these comics companies really enforce the content level too strictly).

As for the character's being the parents of known villains, the newest issue seems to imply that at least one of them isn't related to the villain they were previously indicated to be.

Anyway, I enjoyed Young Allies, I'm planning to continue picking it up for now, I'll probably at least give it the initial arc. I also read Children's Crusade today. While not too much happened in the first issue, IMO the art was great and the writing was very strong. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

What did people think of X-force and the latest X-death? I can't say I was surprised by it. Nothing surprising has come out of this event, and it looks like it'll be another pointless ending (see: Messiah War).

BlueBard

Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2010, 04:33:17 AM
I don't have my issue with me at the moment but after reading Avengers Academy #1 I'm thinking she won't be related to him. Her last name was revealed to be Takeda which would make her Japanese-American rather than Chinese and I recall it mentioned both her parents when it talked about her origin. So I'm thinking she won't be his son but we'll see.

I think it's a pretty good guess that she won't be his son.   ;)
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Podmark

Quote from: BlueBard on July 08, 2010, 12:38:25 PM
Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2010, 04:33:17 AM

I think it's a pretty good guess that she won't be his son.   ;)

:doh: Ouch, yeah that's a bad mistake. Gotta stop posting before bed.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

herodad1

anybody know anything about a new book called "AVENGERS"? thought of subscribing to it but dont know who's gonna be in it or anything about it. :wacko:

murs47

Quote from: herodad1 on July 08, 2010, 02:44:51 PM
anybody know anything about a new book called "AVENGERS"? thought of subscribing to it but dont know who's gonna be in it or anything about it. :wacko:

I'd say pick up the first two issues to give it a try. I enjoyed the first issue but thought the second was a huge waste of time.

Podmark

Avengers is written by Brian Bendis with John Romita Jr doing the art. The team currently featured includes Captain America (Bucky), Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, and Protector (Noh-Varr). The first arc deals with Wonderman, Kang, and alternate timelines. I haven't read it so I can't give any indication of quality.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Previsionary on July 08, 2010, 07:48:53 AM
What did people think of X-force and the latest X-death? I can't say I was surprised by it. Nothing surprising has come out of this event, and it looks like it'll be another pointless ending (see: Messiah War).

WTF?....Who in Marvel's infinite "wisdom" did they kill off now?

Dana  :rolleyes:

AfghanAnt

Urgh so that character died huh? Well at least Hope did something other than cry about not wanting to be the messiah. I can't wait until she is fridged in 6 years.

X-Men #1 was painfully dull despite all the action. Vampires and mutants are not a good match.

The Hitman

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 08, 2010, 05:44:10 PM
I can't wait until she is fridged in 6 years.

Me too, but first she has to turn into a lady Apocalypse.

Podmark

I thought it was pretty obvious since before the event that
Spoiler
Cable
was going to die. And thematically I think it makes sense. I just hope that he actually stays dead this time. It was a pretty definitive death I think and resurrections without an obvious out tend to bug me.

I want to like Hope, but so far she hasn't really done anything to endear me to her. I'm hoping a writer changes that eventually.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deano_ue

so how in the hell is steve cap, if the new young avengers takes place after siege

and as for the debate at least said character went out like a hero saving his/her team rather than some stupid death

Podmark

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on July 08, 2010, 06:43:34 PM
so how in the hell is steve cap, if the new young avengers takes place after siege

It's an error. It's even noted in the first page of the comic.
What happened is that Children's Crusade was being drawn well in advance and they didn't properly anticipate how continuity would turn out. So they knew Steve would be back but they must have thought that he'd be back as Captain America or they just used the identity as a default because his new identity/costume hadn't been designed at the time the book was being drawn. Same with Iron Man.
Basically Jim Cheung is slooooow. Awesome but sloooooow.

I'm curious if they'll properly handle Magneto's current status quo, or if the book is going to mostly side step these issues.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2010, 04:53:31 PM

Avengers is written by Brian Bendis with John Romita Jr doing the art. The team currently featured includes Captain America (Bucky), Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, and Protector (Noh-Varr). The first arc deals with Wonderman, Kang, and alternate timelines. I haven't read it so I can't give any indication of quality.

It's funny because I'm fairly sure this thread contains three discussions on all three Bendis books. It is "The Marvel Thread." It's not like those discussions aren't just a page away. Oy [and] Vey!
-------

At least I get to say, "told ya so," to UE, who insisted that Hope was going to turn out to be Jean. :P. The current X-regime don't want Jean back; they just want someone very similar to her. Very, very similar (including Fraction's Emma).

I do think X-men and vampires can have a good story (see the 80s), but not a whole opening event based on it. Victor Gischler shouldn't be writing X-men... especially not a team that focuses on Pixie and tries to shoehorn in Jubilee. Vampires shouldn't even be active right now after their failed British invasion, and I'm pretty sure they just returned to the land of the living a year ago, Marvel time. Way to set yourself up for major disappointment, Mr. Gischler.

marhawkman

Actual the way they returned means they'd have what they need to do this.  The Montressi formula was basically an enchantment that banished vampires from earth.  When the enchantment was broken ALL the vampires came back.

Podmark

Oh there's still plenty of time to tie her into Jean and/or the Phoenix. But I hope she doesn't turn out to be literally Jean. I'd rather Hope be a separate, possibly connected if need be, character.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Quote from: Podmark on July 08, 2010, 06:39:38 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious since before the event that
Spoiler
Cable
was going to die. And thematically I think it makes sense. I just hope that he actually stays dead this time. It was a pretty definitive death I think and resurrections without an obvious out tend to bug me.

I want to like Hope, but so far she hasn't really done anything to endear me to her. I'm hoping a writer changes that eventually.

One possible out that I think was used with the character once before (iffy on that though)...
Spoiler
and has been used with Kang and (maybe) Apocalypse: a slightly different version of him comes back from an alternate future, one that diverged at some point from the timeline of the Cable who just died.  Time travel based characters can be so irritating.

Podmark

Quote from: Talavar on July 08, 2010, 08:34:50 PM
One possible out that I think was used with the character once before (iffy on that though)...
Spoiler
and has been used with Kang and (maybe) Apocalypse: a slightly different version of him comes back from an alternate future, one that diverged at some point from the timeline of the Cable who just died.  Time travel based characters can be so irritating.

Well yeah of course there's always that. But technically he wouldn't be exactly the same version that died. That scenario was pretty much used in
Spoiler
Cable and Deadpool after Cable was killed by the Skorrn at the end of X-Force volume 2. Deadpool retrieved the House of M Cable which was a baby in the care of Mr. Sinister. Technically it was an alternate Cable but it was treated as if it was the same one once he grew to adult age again. I can't remember if there was an explanation why he was treated as the same.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

laughing paradox

Two quick thoughts on some books, with no spoilers.

Amazing Spider-Man #636: I'm not a fan of Spider-Man but this "Grim Hunt" arc has been very good. The art is great and, seeing as I don't follow the characters, it's pretty easy for me to jump right in. My main complaint, though? Where the heck is Calypso. This story arc should have her all over the place.

Shadowland #1: I've been reading Diggle's take on Daredevil for years now and I'm not usually a fan of DD. The artwork is great and I love the writing and where the plot is going. The issue is good and makes me hype for the rest of the issues. My only minor complaint.. stop showing us the same 'iconic pose' when someone gets stabbed with a sai in a Daredevil comic.

Podmark

Quote from: laughing paradox on July 09, 2010, 04:31:54 AM
Amazing Spider-Man #636: I'm not a fan of Spider-Man but this "Grim Hunt" arc has been very good. The art is great and, seeing as I don't follow the characters, it's pretty easy for me to jump right in. My main complaint, though? Where the heck is Calypso. This story arc should have her all over the place.

I'm also enjoying Grim Hunt.

Calypso was killed years ago by Alyosha Kravinoff. I think she's come back from the dead before but it wouldn't make much sense to have her in this storyline. I don't think Sasha Kravinoff would want her husband's lover hanging around. I imagine Alyosha and Ana wouldn't want her around either.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

The odd thing about Shadowland is that this is more or less an alteration of Daredevil's Kingpin arc from a few years ago. Danny and Luke were there for that too but reacted in a completely different way.

Anyway... after reading X-men #1, I agree with AA on how blah it was. I don't understand why they keep de-aging Jubilee. She's not a teenager anymore. Let her be a young adult. I'll flip if this girl graduates again, She's only done it 3 or so times now. I also didn't understand why Pixie and Cyclops were so chummy with Jubilee while Wolverine never spoke to her. Doesn't that just seem wrong? I can tell Victor did some X-research (see Storm... even though Cyclops denied her), but simple things like that annoy me. All the focus Pixie is getting also annoys me. :P

On the art side, I'm always mixed on Paco Medina's style. It worked OK for Deadpool, but it looks a bit weird here, especially given the content and how well endowed all the women (and Pixie) are.

Second Coming
Spoiler
Cable has an easy out just by saying the portal collapsed on him. Also, with Rachel still around, she could grab him or a version of him at any time. He did it for her; I'm sure she could do the same considering her not oft-used powers. However, I don't see Cable returning any time soon, with Nate returning to the forefront. Nate would be a better teacher for Hope as well, so I see them going down that route.

Overall, Second Coming has disappointed me in so many ways. Messiah Complex is still the superior X-event. This event was way too long for very little pay off. After issue 4, it meandered. We still don't know what's up with Hope and why she's considered a messiah or what her powers are and why she's able to access so many abilities at once like Rogue.

So many characters died off in bleh ways. Nightcrawler may have been the most heroic even though it wasn't necessary at all. There was not one point in this event where I was surprised or eagerly awaiting the next issue. I always seemed to know what was going to happen even without reading spoilers or keeping up with where characters were appearing via covers or solicits. I never felt like the villains were much of a menace and a lot of the X-men's predicaments fell on poor tactics via Cyclops's command. And how sad is it that I stopped reading sometime around issue 6 and still feel like I missed nothing in the latest issue? I also loved how Xavier and Legion were kicking butt a few issues ago and then completely disappeared from the story. Stuff like that seemed to happen a lot.

Basically, if this story was 7 issues + an epilogue and a few tie-ins, it would have fared much better. I'm still wondering why X-factor was stopped mid-storyline to be brought into this event (and yes, Trask dies in this storyline, if you didn't know). Event happy Marvel is a bit ridiculous. But hey, at least there's Old Man Logan 2 to look forward to, which was OKed just because Millar wanted to do it. No pitch necessary in the Quesada era.

BlueBard

Speaking of Cable and Quesada, you should check out today's installment of "Gutters".
STO/CO: @bluegeek

marhawkman

The only part of Paco's art I hated was how he drew Pixie.