News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Avengers #1 preview on Marvel

Looks like Wonderman is gonna have a part in the story and maybe... The Young Avengers?
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Sweet Justice appears. An the variant cover seems to give away that Noh-Varr will be on the team.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

New book day! What is everyone planning on getting and hopefully reviewing? If I find the time, I'm going to try to review some less talked about books like I used to do circa last year and during the X-thread days. We need more diversity, and we must start highlighting some of the lesser known, better books out there every once in a while. :P

[If only to prove that there is still quality out there]

I may do a write up on Sif #1 from last week written by Fraction's wife (who JUST had a baby today, iirc). Since Kieron will be off the book soon, and Fraction will effectively be the next Thor writer in a few months (he actually should have taken over around issue 610), then I figured I should see what I should be expecting and whether or not it'd be another book I'm dropping.

And can I just say I'm really jealous the MU writers got to see Ironman 2 weeks early? Jerk hats.

Podmark

If I review any books it will be a couple days late. I'm stuck working on finals all day today, and I expect I'll have to crash most of Thursday.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Podmark, I just want to say something to you. I know we were in a war... and that I coldly killed you like any self-respecting hero would (even though I'm a villain... or very neutral these days), but you were right.

Spoiler
At least he went out heroically saving Jean Jr.

Thor #609 (3):

I want to make this clear. I'm tired of seeing Asgard destroyed in EVERY Siege book I pick up. It made sense for it to appear again in Thor, but seeing it destroyed over 6 times is just... too much. Other than that, this was a standard issue. Thor wasn't in the book at all, and instead, it focused on the secondary characters of Kelda vs. HAMMER, Volstagg vs. Dirt and HAMMER, Tyr vs. Thunderball (who remembered he's a physicist and didn't throw around stereotypical slang as he would in New Avengers), and Baldur vs. Loki (who finally decided to reappaear in this event and reveal his wrongdoings). I can't say a lot of development was made at all. It felt kinda fillerish to me, which is why I'm rating it a 3. I think I'm being generous considering the irony this issue presented me with. A solo book SHOULD have its star in it at some point, by golly.

BlueBard

I have a question... since I'm not planning to pick up the book...

Spoiler
how did Kurt die?

Just curious whether they left an out to bring him back (no body to bury) or if it was very final (as final as death ever is in the Marvel U)?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

crimsonquill

Spoiler
Quote from: BlueBard on April 29, 2010, 12:43:31 PM
I have a question... since I'm not planning to pick up the book... how did Kurt die?

Just curious whether they left an out to bring him back (no body to bury) or if it was very final (as final as death ever is in the Marvel U)?

Yeah, ya know.. I sat down with my pile of comics here staring at that cool alternate "ghostly" cover on my issue of X-Force and wondered how long it would take to spoil what's inside before I crack open the cover.. ooh, wait...  :blink:

Not that most of us have figured WHO it would be by their lack of an appearance on the promotional material if we looked hard enough.

Oh, and just in case people wanted to actually read the book..

Spoiler
Kurt was badly wounded trying to save Hope from an attack by Bastion and took a fairly powerful energy blast to his back blocking his shot from hitting her. While Rogue distracted Bastion and nearly getting pretty badly beat up herself, Kurt made a last desperate move to get Hope to Utopia and found himself teleporting into the same space that Bastion's arm was before teleporting away. Hope found herself lying on the beach of Utopia moments later and Kurt slowly bleeding to death with a robotic arm sticking out of the middle of his chest. His last words to Hope before dying was "I believe in you".

So unless they bring him back with a cloned body or finding an omega-level healer with Xorn's resurrection powers that work after an autopsy .. it will be awhile before Kurt makes an appearance in the main universe until someone retcons his exact death.  (then again if Hope does become the next Phoenix.. mmmm.. looks like she owes Kurt a favor.)

- CQ

"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

BlueBard

Sorry CQ, didn't think it was a big secret considering Pod's avatar text and other comments that had been made in-forum.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Podmark

Quote from: BlueBard on April 29, 2010, 05:29:31 PM
Sorry CQ, didn't think it was a big secret considering Pod's avatar text and other comments that had been made in-forum.

My avatar comments reflect logical speculation from last week. They don't reflect the contents of this week's issue.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

I'm sad now.

daglob

GhostMachine

You know why I think it was done?

Spoiler
Kurt is probably the X-Men's most religious hero, so they had to remove him from the upcoming X-Men vs. Vampires story. Just give him a cross, a super soaker full of holy water (I watched From Dusk To Dawn again recently) and some wooden stakes, and storyline = over!

AfghanAnt

Quote from: GhostMachine on April 29, 2010, 10:34:28 PM
You know why I think it was done?

Spoiler
Kurt is probably the X-Men's most religious hero, so they had to remove him from the upcoming X-Men vs. Vampires story. Just give him a cross, a super soaker full of holy water (I watched From Dusk To Dawn again recently) and some wooden stakes, and storyline = over!

Spoiler
I highly doubt Yost and Kyle killed him for a storyline they had nothing to do with - I think they killed him to shake up the status quo for Cyclops and the X-Men because he was the "soul" of the X-Men for the last 35 years.

detourne_me

Spoiler
Well put AA,  also he was one of the only "untouched" all new-all different X-men
Colossus has died and come back
John Proudstar has died
Banshee has died
Sunfire has died and come back
Storm has been depowered, reverted to childhood, brought back
Wolverine has...well... done everything.

It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.
I just read uncanny #523 and honestly that's been the only x-book i've read since well...messiah complex
it pains me that i'm not interested in x-men at all anymore.

Podmark

So X-Force:
Spoiler
I was right! Well honestly it was painfully obvious if you paid attention to Marvel's solicits etc. They should be more careful about that.

I liked the death. He got to be the hero and he was taken out by Bastion himself not some random mook. Whether we needed a death is another story.

I liked the issue. I was pretty happy with the art, especially Bastion's robotic form. I shudder to think how that would have come out with Land.

I also read the final issue of Mighty.
Spoiler

Mighty was a strange disappointing journey. I had high hopes for it, but it didn't measure up.

In the final issue Hank and friends fight Ultron. Jocasta offers to be his bride if Ultron will leave which he agrees to. The infinite mansion is revealed to be created to assist in bringing Jan back. Hank goes to join the battle at Asgard where we get a Siege 4 spoiler that Loki will help the Avengers - which validates Hank's request that Loki join the team so the Mighty Avengers now like Hank again.

Mighty was a mess but I was pretty happy with Hank's use through it. Hank's one of my favorite Avengers, so I'm happy he'll be in Academy.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

marhawkman

Hmm... So is Pym-space going to be collapsed in order to restore Janet?

Podmark

Quote from: marhawkman on April 30, 2010, 06:01:34 PM
Hmm... So is Pym-space going to be collapsed in order to restore Janet?

I guess, but I don't think it's about to happen anytime soon. But Jan's return is already set up.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Thunderbolts #143 (3):

Spoiler
After the shock ending of last issue where USAgent found out what it was like to be Red Arrow + (Read: Red Arrow Plus), we open just before the final scenes in Siege #3 with Ironman shutting down Norman's suit. Before Norman is completely disabled (and dons his green face/purple hood paint thing), he contacts his Thunderbolts, Nuke in this case, and asks if they have the Spear of Odin. Of course they do, and the T-bolts set off to help Norman. Well, that would have been the plan, but Paladin is tired of taking orders and turn coats while Ghost helps Amadeus Cho contact some of his teammates.

With the Thunderbolts falling apart during the midst of battle, Antman takes this as a perfect time to show where his loyalties really lay and makes short work of Grizzly. In the interim, Quicksilver arrives on the scene and has this nice series of panels where he shows that just because Mr. X has the ability to anticipate movement, doesn't mean he'll be able to do anything about it... even if he is equipped with Odin's Spear. This is probably one of my favorite battle scenes that involves QS as he hasn't been particularly active in many fights in a while.

Moving towards the end of the book, as the issue closes with Antman/Eric O'Grady informing Headman's brother about the final days of the Thunderbolts (that's right, it skipped 2 weeks into the future PAST Siege #4), we learn that Eric wants to start making better choices in his life. The story finally closes with Luke and Jess looking at repurposed Raft off the coast of Manhattan, setting up for Cage's tenure as their leader.

This was a perfectly adequate read that didn't really require you to know much about Siege, The Mighty Avengers, or The Thunderbolts in order for you to follow the story. In all honesty, Siege was a backdrop that enabled the plot to move forward while the remaining Mighty Avengers (minus Pym) and the Thunderbolts did battle and some of the remaining stories were tied up. Unfortunately, Parker didn't give us any more details on USAgent, and we don't get any hints about what happened in Siege #4, which is more of a good thing than bad, but he uses the Mighty Avengers better than they were used in their own book and managed to reference Ghost's attempt at killing Tony in Invincible Ironman. I give this book a 3.

Zippo

I have to agree with you Prev:
Spoiler
The Quicksilver/Mr. X fight was sweeeeet. X really gets on my nerves for some reason...

lugaru

Quote from: Zippo on May 02, 2010, 05:02:10 AM
I have to agree with you Prev:
Spoiler
The Quicksilver/Mr. X fight was sweeeeet. X really gets on my nerves for some reason...

That fight made me SOOO happy. We live in this era of matrix'ed out invincible fighter characters who use mind reading/bullet time/brain enhancements to win every fight and it is great to see classic hero take somebody out like that. Also the character in question is a bit of a %^$#

I was not that let down by the end of Mighty and this issue of Thunderbolts was great. Cant wait to read seige #4, I know it will be late but not by how much. Bendis should stick to 4 issue events, so far it is all killer and no filler.

Still in shock over USAgent. I always liked that character, he is my favorite flawed cap.

Podmark

Quote from: lugaru on May 02, 2010, 11:33:43 AM
Cant wait to read seige #4, I know it will be late but not by how much.

It's scheduled for May 12 right now. I hope it comes out.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

Mike Carey talks about X-Men Legacy on CBR.

Second Coming #2 is apparently going to be a series of aftermath stories. Carey's will focus on Rogue and Hope.

After second coming he's doing a four part story where Rogue, Magneto, Indra, Anole, and Loa go to India to see Indra's family. It reintroduces some X-villains from recent times that Carey is very, very fond of. Art will be by Clay Mann who did the Necrosha arc.

After that will be an arc focusing on Hellion, playing off stuff that happens to him in Second Coming (which he so far hasn't appeared in). Omega Sentinel is also supposed to return.

Honestly all of that sounds good to me. Looking forward to more Legacy.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

I'd look forward to Legacy a little more if Carey wasn't so obviously in love with Rogue.  Still, a good title.

Previsionary

I wish he loved Iceman as much as he loves Rogue. Carey should have been on Uncanny or the newly relaunched "X-men" with a team of his own to control.

Anyway, now that Lady Mastermind and her sister, whose name I can never remember without effort, are back and are teaming up with Pixie's "mom" (how many mothers does this annoying girl have?), I wonder if he'll start using her again?

marhawkman

Quote from: Previsionary on May 05, 2010, 01:04:51 AMI wish he loved Iceman as much as he loves Rogue. Carey should have been on Uncanny or the newly relaunched "X-men" with a team of his own to control.

Anyway, now that Lady Mastermind and her sister, whose name I can never remember without effort, are back and are teaming up with Pixie's "mom" (how many mothers does this annoying girl have?), I wonder if he'll start using her again?
He's making a team.....  what do you think the storyline revolves around? :p

Podmark

So I read this week's X-Men books.

Uncanny:
Spoiler
This issue is the funeral and setting up act two. I liked it, lots of different interactions, art was good.

Some nitpicks though:
I had no idea who the priest was - I later looked it up and it was Iceman, which I should have known because Scott told him to look up Catholic rites, but the art didn't make it clear at all.
Why doesn't Ariel get a funeral? Nice double standards there X-Men.
Why doesn't Bastion have his usual yellow speech bubbles in Uncanny, and why does Fraction's Bastion not talk anything like Yost and Kyles? Drives me nuts.

Hellbound:
Spoiler
This issue was mostly the setup with Sam choosing his team, then the next chunk them arriving in Limbo. It's only a three issue series so I'm not expecting too much but so far I've liked it. Random team though.
Art is ok, I like Tolibao but I find his art inconsistent, and this wasn't his best. His characters seemed a little squashed for some reason, reminded me of some Paco Medina's art in that way.
And we get more angsty, bratty New X-Men. It makes logical sense in the story but I wish I could have more fun New X-Men more often.

And Bachalo was back on Spider-Man this week  :D
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Ariel doesn't get a funeral because Mike Carey intentionally wrote an out for her just in case he wanted to use her again. Also, the X-men don't have her body (as there was none left at the scene... and even if there was one, it'd be burnt up and the X-men left without picking it up). Of course, I suspected them to mention her in passing, but I remembered which book this was, and, as I've said before, continuity isn't Uncanny's strong point *looks at Colossus, Emma, and Psylocke*.

Speaking of Colossus, I'm really shocked that he wasn't chosen to go back into Limbo after his sister. He spent a whole issue making a stink about it, and then he's not even given a reason for not going? The problems are already starting to crop up in this event and we have over 15 issues to go (I'm including the WHOLE event, not just the main storyline)

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on May 06, 2010, 02:17:46 AM
Ariel doesn't get a funeral because Mike Carey intentionally wrote an out for her just in case he wanted to use her again. Also, the X-men don't have her body (as there was none left at the scene... and even if there was one, it'd be burnt up and the X-men left without picking it up). Of course, I suspected them to mention her in passing, but I remembered which book this was, and, as I've said before, continuity isn't Uncanny's strong point *looks at Colossus, Emma, and Psylocke*.

Speaking of Colossus, I'm really shocked that he wasn't chosen to go back into Limbo after his sister. He spent a whole issue making a stink about it, and then he's not even given a reason for not going? The problems are already starting to crop up in this event and we have over 15 issues to go (I'm including the WHOLE event, not just the main storyline)

Regardless of whether Carey may have left an out, Ariel is considered dead by the X-Men. She should have been mentioned at the funeral. I wasn't expected it, but logically it should have been there.

Cyclops gave Colossus some reasons why he shouldn't go in Hellbound. The main ones being that he wants Colossus on Utopia because he's a powerhouse and that Colossus is too emotional and could compromise the mission. They made sense to me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Using the same logic, Cyclops also needed his remaining teleporter around, but he sent her off all willy-nilly.

Regardless, Uncanny was a big miss to me and probably the low point of SC (imo, of course). This is also around the same time Messiah Complex's quality began to drop. I really wish Uncanny would stop revolving around Cyclops so often. This was supposed to be a moving, emotional issue about a fallen, long time X-man (that has done nothing for years) and what he meant to the team... it came out the gate missing the point and immediately put focus on Scott and his OOC coldness and collectivity. This representation of Scott has run its course with me, especially when he's had random breakdowns in the earlier issues of UXM I've actually read. I don't get it. I'm ignoring what a certain blue character did during NC's actual moments, and I'll just accept Emma's scene, and I'll even ignore that Emma was never that close to NC and that Psylocke was readily available and played no major part in the funeral.

Yes, Ariel should have been mentioned (like I said above), but remember what book this is and the tone it took, and you'll understand why it didn't happen.

Spoiler
And if you were wondering, no... the Iceman scenes didn't appease me. Bobby is not ordained, dangit! Twas obvious that he was forced into that role when there are characters on that island, that Fraction uses as cameo, that actually know things about Catholicism. I mean... Northstar was cameo fodder in this very issue, right? It would have given him something to do.