News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on April 17, 2010, 04:54:51 AM
I miss evil time-travely Quicksilver but I am glad Speedball is coming back sort of.

As for BuckyCap, I love him. It is the first time I've liked Captain America as an idea...

Yeah I kinda miss evil Quicksilver too.
I'd be really disappointed if they dumped Bucky Cap. I don't like it when lots of development and investment is dropped. Also I like Bucky Cap, I'd have kept Steve dead.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on April 17, 2010, 05:17:45 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on April 17, 2010, 04:54:51 AM
I miss evil time-travely Quicksilver but I am glad Speedball is coming back sort of.

As for BuckyCap, I love him. It is the first time I've liked Captain America as an idea...

Yeah I kinda miss evil Quicksilver too.
I'd be really disappointed if they dumped Bucky Cap. I don't like it when lots of development and investment is dropped. Also I like Bucky Cap, I'd have kept Steve dead.

Yeah me too. I feel like Steve dying was the end of an era - there really isn't room for a Captain America who isn't willing to make the hard choices. Also having Thor and Tony mentoring Bucky would have been really interesting. It is something that DC seemed to have missed with Superman and Wonder Woman being ousted from JLA when Dick joined. Actually I find it annoying so many Titans are JLA members when Dick became Batman. But whatever...

marhawkman

Quote from: murs47 on April 17, 2010, 03:11:18 AM
Quote from: Podmark on April 17, 2010, 03:07:10 AMJustice, Hank, Pietro and Speedball(!) in Avengers Academy? Now that's more like it.
Quicksilver is good again? Robbie isnt slicing his wrists anymore? Well anyways, I kinda like that line-up. I'm still not sold on the students though.
It needs cloud 9 and Komodo. :)

lugaru

Quote from: marhawkman on April 17, 2010, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: murs47 on April 17, 2010, 03:11:18 AM
Quote from: Podmark on April 17, 2010, 03:07:10 AMJustice, Hank, Pietro and Speedball(!) in Avengers Academy? Now that's more like it.
Quicksilver is good again? Robbie isnt slicing his wrists anymore? Well anyways, I kinda like that line-up. I'm still not sold on the students though.
It needs cloud 9 and Komodo. :)

Yeah, I hope to see Komodo somewhere, I really liked her. Maybe hardball, I was a little annoyed that he became a hydra member. It is easy to back and forth between heroism and villany in Marvel but Hydra is pretty hardcore. And I agree with Prev... maybe if he does not wear the same costume we can see Speedball come back but his powers no longer have anything to do with speed and jimmies, unless you chuck one at his head and he blasts you with electricity.

Podmark

Cloud 9 will appear in a Heroic Age anthology written by Dan Slott.

I was disappointed when they revealed that the students of Avengers Academy would be all new characters, I was hoping they'd be characters like Kommodo and Trauma and that the book would be a more literal relaunch of the Initiative. But seeing who the teachers are makes me happier.

Young Avengers: Children's Crusade - it does exist!

Also 8-Bit Theatre and Atomic Robo writer Brian Clevinger is writing a retelling of the Infinity Gauntlet.
Never read Robo, but I'm a semi fan of 8-Bit, so it's cool to see him doing some Marvel work.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on April 18, 2010, 04:54:56 AM

That I can't wait for! :D

Secret Avengers line-up revealed:
Spoiler
Sharon Carter is also part of the team but she's not pictured. O'Grady is Ant-Man

NeoDarke

Quote from: murs47 on April 18, 2010, 05:31:03 AM
Quote from: Podmark on April 18, 2010, 04:54:56 AM

That I can't wait for! :D

Secret Avengers line-up revealed:
Spoiler
Sharon Carter is also part of the team but she's not pictured. O'Grady is Ant-Man
Sweet. Very sweet.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

lugaru

Obviosly the already revealed team was enough but seeing Black Widow makes a ton of sense.

As for Academy it would be odd to leave out trauma since he is faculty, dude is the therapist. I dunno... we talk about new characters and the new ones in initiative should not be wasted, they where mostly great.

Podmark

Quote from: lugaru on April 18, 2010, 09:16:07 AM
Obviosly the already revealed team was enough but seeing Black Widow makes a ton of sense.

As for Academy it would be odd to leave out trauma since he is faculty, dude is the therapist. I dunno... we talk about new characters and the new ones in initiative should not be wasted, they where mostly great.

Trauma wandered off after the fight with his dad. So they may not know where he is or he may not want to join. Or maybe he will be in the book - which I would love.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Trauma was probably my favorite character during Slott's run on Initiative. I hope he gets some love somewhere else.

Quote"Steve Rogers becomes the new Nick Fury of the Marvel Universe." And as that role for the former Captain America took shape, Brubaker said, "He's a character in the 'Captain America' series, but he's not the star of 'Captain America.' Bucky is. So this is my chance to do [explore his character]. I wasn't going to let anybody else write the Steve book, you know? It's the Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter book while it's also this high-concept, espionage Avengers idea."

Just a tid-bit from the Meet Your Secret Avengers article at CBR.

Podmark

News from the X-Men panel:

X-23 ongoing by Marjorie Liu starting in September. Sounds like X-23 is leaving the X-Men and going off on her own.

Daken: Dark Wolverine ongoing by Marjorie Liu, Daniel Way, and Giuseppi Camuncoli starting in September. Replaces Dark Wolverine.

A new X-Men ongoing by Victor Gischler and Paco Medina which will feature the X-Men vs vampires story.

New X-Force ongoing by Rick Remender and Jerome Ope?a starting in October. Replaces X-Force. They'll be facing Apocalypse.

Wolverine ongoing by Jason Aaron and Renato Guedes starting in September. Replaces Wolverine: Weapon X. Wolverine's soul goes to hell.

Whilce Portacio will be the new artist on Uncanny X-Men in July.
Leonard Kirk will be the new artist on New Mutants.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

X-men vs Vampire news in X-men #1 by Vischer.

QuoteAs the Children of the Atom step into the Heroic Age, they'll have writer Victor Gischler and artist Paco Medina leading the way with a new X-MEN #1 this July launching a new ongoing series spinning out of the events of Second Coming.

"[Readers] can expect a lot of good action and a lot of good storytelling [for] the characters they know as the X-Men," says Gischler. "They're going to be going on some high-profile, high-energy missions. We're going to see the characters develop but with more focus on missions. Each arc will be an event or a mission. It's going to be a lot of fun. It's going to be pretty entertaining I think."

The opening salvo of the new series pits the newly re-formed team against the bloodsucking undead of the Marvel Universe, a group the X-Men has some dark history with.

"It's going to be a nice fresh look at vampires," promises Gischler. "I think people are going to be pretty impressed."

While the writer says the new series borrows a slice of concepts from the past, it certainly won't be a complete return to the old days. Instead, it sets up the idea of the X-Men in the new Heroic Age-the X-Men of tomorrow. But who will comprise that team?

"There are going to be some characters that are going to be some lynchpin, popular characters," says the writer. "But we also want to bring in some faces we haven't seen. Who have we seen plenty of? Who do we want to see more of? And who do we always want to see because they're popular?"

Although some characters will almost certainly appear-don't be surprised to see some claws in the mix-many less familiar names have been thrown in for consideration.

"We got a lot of mutants auditioning for the part," teases Gischler. "But for the first arc, it's going to be kind of wide open. It's going to be a big event. It's going to be a lot of fun. It's sort of come one, come all X-Men. After the first arc, we're going to narrow it to a core four or five characters that are in the cast month-to-month. And also maybe rotate in some surprise faces that people don't normally see in an X-Men book."

In general, September will be a busy month for the X-men with several relauches (Weapon X becomes WOlverine #1, Dark Wolverine becomes Daken: Dark Wolverine, X-force becomes X-force #1 written by Remender, and X23 starts off an ongoing (or mini?) written by Majorie Liu. Uncanny X-men is also getting a new artists known as Whilce Portacio.

I hate you Pod. People already confuse me for you, and now you're ninjaing me. Well, I'll just have to off your canadian butt. I always knew there was a reason we were at war with each other!

I'm still iffy about Victor. His DP work isn't good at all. I still think he'd be better suited for a character like Punisher, Nick Fury, or even Black Widow. Something more towards his element. Black Widow #1 was a great read, btw. You all should pick that up.
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

You should just be happy that I'm keeping your precious thread full of discussion  :P You'd be nothing without me.

Why X-Men again? Couldn't they give it a more distinctive name? No idea if this will be any good but it intrigues me and I like seeing X-Man on the team. I've never been impressed with any of Remender's work so I'm disappointed he got X-Force. And I don't like that X-23 appears to be leaving the X-Men but it is nice they are giving her a shot at an ongoing. Not much was announced that excited me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

How dare you say those words to me with those fingers typing those words that you typed and thought in that head of yours. How dare you!

I'm in the same boat. Nothing X-related excited me. In fact, Victor getting "X-men" has me worried about Carey's "Legacy." Even though i'm more or less over with whatever he's doing with Rogue, he's still one of the BEST X-writers Marvel has and he seems to get the majority of the characters he's using. I hope they announce some news about him soon or at least let us know that Legacy is continuing.

Addendum: I'm actually glad X23 got an ongoing because it'll make more sense of the development and lack of focus that one shot had. Introducing Game Master as a villain that's toying around in X23's head in a one shot with no indication of a follow up was quite a dangerous game (no pun) to play, Ms. Majorie.

Podmark

They said in the panel that Legacy will be continuing. It's safe for now Prev.

Looking at the New X-Force cover. It looks like the team is Wolverine with Angel, Psylocke, Fantomex, and one other guy I can't identify. Any ideas? They're taking on Apocalypse so I think Gambit and Chamber would be good choices.

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I'm going "wait and see" with Remender's X-Force. I liked his The List: Punisher one shot a lot. But haven't really read much else by him. Regardless, I do like these new guessing game previews Marvel is doing.

Spoiler

Remender has stated that only one other original member besides Wolverine will be in New X-Force. My guess for the team line up is:

Wolverine
Archangel - The first arc's villain is Apocalypse so it makes sense.
Fantomex - The guy on the right.
Deadpool - Marvel continually over exposing Wade. I'd be ok with this because Wade is most humorous when surrounded by serious people.
Psylocke - Who else has a sash and wields a katana? She also didn't seem too shocked by the actions of Warren and X-23 in Second Coming so far.

Previsionary

Yes, I was going to say Deadpool as well. Also, Psylocke being on X-force isn't surprising at all if you know her character history or saw what she was capable of in Yost's Psylocke mini series, which I reviewed in this thread and on FRP.

Podmark

Yeah Deadpool, I can see that.

When the current X-Force was first announced I had no interest in it. When Yost and Kyle were announced as writers my interest rose but I still wasn't planning to pick it up. It wasn't until near when it was coming out and we learned that X-Force would be going up against the Purifiers that I decided to get it. Perhaps a similar pattern will follow with New X-Force. Taking on Apocalypse does interest me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

marhawkman

Deadpool?  I was guessing Neena....

murs47

Quote from: marhawkman on April 18, 2010, 10:08:35 PM
Deadpool?  I was guessing Neena....

Quite possible. But then who would the winged fellow be? Mimic maybe? I could see that. He's not exactly a very stable person at the moment.

marhawkman

Winged? Archangel could be it.  or it could be clothing and not wings.  somebody on another board thought it might be Nate Grey.

Podmark

Quote from: marhawkman on April 19, 2010, 04:03:04 PM
Winged? Archangel could be it.  or it could be clothing and not wings.  somebody on another board thought it might be Nate Grey.

Yeah that could be it, especially if they are altering the black blob a bit like they did with the Secret Avengers teasers.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Someone also mentioned Magneto, he's always killed for what he believed was the greater good so that would make sense.

Remender stated that Apocalypse's horsemen would be brand new. I have no idea who they could be, but that has always been my favorite aspect of an Apocalypse story. Who's he gonna turn evil?

AfghanAnt

They are white wings. If you look close enough you will see they didn't cover it up very well.

As for the line-up:
Psylocke (katanna + sash)
Fantomex (guns + long jacket)
Deadpool? I would say Domino but that looks like a long katanna and a man to me.

Podmark

White wings eh? So presumably Angel or Mimic.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

I'm still trying to gather why people are suggesting Mimic as if he and the X-men are on the greatest of terms all of a sudden.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on April 19, 2010, 09:39:36 PM
I'm still trying to gather why people are suggesting Mimic as if he and the X-men are on the greatest of terms all of a sudden.

I think we're just playing the matching game Prev.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on April 19, 2010, 09:46:19 PM

I think we're just playing the matching game Prev.

Oh, I'll match you alright, I will. I'll match you real good! *Matches Pod to a donkey* How about that? *war*

Podmark

*Fires 10 trillion copies of Fraction's Uncanny at Previsionary*
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Because it's fun! Even though Warren is the obvious choice. Especially thanks to AA pointing out the poorness of the cover-up job.

I think Nightcrawler is going to be one of Apocalypse's Horseman. He's gonna quit the X-Men during/after Second Coming and Apocalypse will approach him with an offer. It'll probably go down like this:

Spoiler
Sun-bathing in a Central Park open field, Kurt Wagner ponders the actions of his former teammates. A tear drips from his right eye. He is sad. Very sad. Without warning, Apocalypse walks by Kurt.

Nightcrawler: AH! Vat are you doing here!

Apocalypse: Oh, hello Mr. Wagner. I'm just taking a breather from a days hard work.

Nightcrawler: Killing people is a chore for you? I thought you enjoyed it!

Apocalypse: No, culling no longer interests.

Nightcrawler: Veally? Vhat does then?

Apocalypse: Gardening.

Nightcrawler: Veally?

Apocalypse:  Really. Aren't we all afforded second chances? Isn't that what you preach? Come, I will show you the fruit of my labor.

Nightcrawler: I have heard gardening is very therapeutic. Let us see what your hard work has brought into this world.

The two sit at the dinner table of Apocalypse's loft which is really his spaceship projecting holographic images. They are eating.

Nightcralwer: My, these bell peppers are delicious!

Apocalypse: Aren't they? Zero trans fat to boot.

Nightcrawler: Impressive.

Kurt notices a machine lighting up and making noises in the other room.

Kurt: Vhat is that?

Apocalypse: Oh that, that's nothing. Something the Celestials left on this ship a long time ago. Supposedly it brings its user closer to God.

Kurt: Veally?

Apocalypse: Really. Want to give it a try?

Kurt: Of course! I love God!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to spoil anymore so I'll just stop. But I'm sure you guys can see where this is going. :D