Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Pod's quickie review for the day - X-Men Legacy:
Spoiler
I'm not sure it made sense but Magneto kicked all kinds of arse against Proteus. Carey writes an awesome Magneto. Also Destiny is a great grandmother or so of Blindfold. And Blindfold presumably has a (evil) brother. Art was decent.
Good issue 4/5
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Thanks Pod. I planned on reviewing it, but now I won't. I wish Carey wrote the main X-book (Uncanny) because the display of Magneto Fraction has put on there for the past 5 months has been a bit ridiculous. I also choose not to comment on how he's pulling a bullet from out of space although a month earlier he could barely use his powers to keep their lovely island afloat. *misses Uncanny*
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

I try to use a very simple reviewing system these days. 1-5 no decimals.

1 - hated it
2 - disliked it
3 - meh
4 - liked it
5 - loved it
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on February 25, 2010, 02:17:59 AM

1 - hated it
2 - disliked it
3 - meh
4 - liked it
5 - loved it

That's a good rating system. Perhaps you should call it the Podometer.

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on February 25, 2010, 02:20:30 AM
Quote from: Podmark on February 25, 2010, 02:17:59 AM

1 - hated it
2 - disliked it
3 - meh
4 - liked it
5 - loved it

That's a good rating system. Perhaps you should call it the Podometer.

Very well for now on there shall be a Pod-o-meter! At least until it's killed by the Prev-o-meter.

On an unrelated note Pod is a fan of Elixir.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

So, I finally got around to reading Incredible Herc #141, the issue in which the Prince of Power title is transferred to dear Amadeus Cho. This book was action packed and Hercules was shown going toe-to-toe with Typhon. Several things happened in this penultimate chapter of the Olympus storyline. Three gods died, a character was punished, a shift in leadership took place... and a betrayal and reveal of the highest calibre was revealed at the same time. How do I feel about this storyline? It's a solid 3. I'm still wary of Amadeus's new role, but I'm willing to give it a shot, if only to see what he'll do once he finds out what really happened in the fall of Hercules.

With this issue now out of the way, I can say for sure that Amadeus's role in [Incredible] Hulk (#607) takes place some time down the road. As for the Atlas back up story... it ended very anti-climactically. All you need to know about this story is that one of the Atlas members ascended to a new role of Goddess and all the characters in this book finally met face to face after the conclusion of the Avengers' fight.

Previsionary

Dana,

I think you'll be interested in knowing that Chris Yost wrote another story in Nation X #3 that involved Diamond Lil and Maddison Jeffries. They finally re-conciliated, though the book ends on a sour note considering what happened to Diamond in X-force. It's just nice to see some characters get closure, am I right? Also, they actually make mention of Marrina again (*looks at Fraction*)

herodad1

does anyone know if steve rogers is returning to the cap comic?if so i was going to get a subscribe to it monthly.

Podmark

Did anyone get the Second Coming Prepare free comic? I either had never heard of it or completely forgot about it, but I heard it came out yesterday. I'll have see if my shop has more this week. It's written by Mike Carey with art by Stuart Immonen. I figure it's mostly a recap with a half dozen new pages.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

Quote from: herodad1 on February 28, 2010, 10:17:13 PM
does anyone know if steve rogers is returning to the cap comic?if so i was going to get a subscribe to it monthly.

Honestly I'm not sure. I've seen the solicits, and I expect he's in it, but I'm not sure if he's co-starring with Bucky or joining the supporting cast. Someone who's more up on Cap can probably answer this better.

There's a rumor Steve will be rebuilding Shield.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on February 28, 2010, 10:17:25 PM
Did anyone get the Second Coming Prepare free comic? I either had never heard of it or completely forgot about it, but I heard it came out yesterday. I'll have see if my shop has more this week. It's written by Mike Carey with art by Stuart Immonen. I figure it's mostly a recap with a half dozen new pages.

I've it, but I haven't checked it out yet. I'll do so now... IN YOUR HONOR! *rushes away*

EDIT:

Spoiler
The opening 8 pages were scenes of Roxie interviewing various X-men about Utopia and their roles in a recent event that took place 2 days after Hope Summers arrived in the present. Roxie interviews Iceman, Magneto, Cable, Wolverine (who seems solemn about a recent death), Cyclops, and Cannonball. Interposed between all of this is shots of the X-club operating on a body hidden under a sheet.

The rest of the book is previews, sketches, and history lessons (Phoenix force, X-book trades, etc.).

Podmark

Bendis and Immonen are relaunching New Avengers for the Heroic Age. Luke Cage first confirmed member.

We're up to 3 confirmed Avengers books right now - Avengers, Secret Avengers and New Avengers. There's supposed to be four and I'm positive I read that Gage would be writing an ongoing Avengers book, hopefully a follow-up to the Initiative.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

tommyboy

Quote from: Podmark on March 01, 2010, 07:54:49 PM
Bendis and Immonen are relaunching New Avengers for the Heroic Age. Luke Cage first confirmed member.

We're up to 3 confirmed Avengers books right now - Avengers, Secret Avengers and New Avengers. There's supposed to be four and I'm positive I read that Gage would be writing an ongoing Avengers book, hopefully a follow-up to the Initiative.
New, secret dark secret new dark secret new avengers. Now with added Wolverine and Spiderman. Plus, new secret dark Wolverine and dark secret new Spiderman. Also  secret Cage and new Spiderwoman. And I'm saying this to you, I'm telling you this; dark secret new. Talking. Six issue "stories" with lots of talking. Four Splash pages per issue. All new. All Dark. All Secret. All Talking. Ten more years of talking, repeating, talking again. Secret. Wolverine. New. Spiderman. Eating and talking, secretly.
"Heroic age" means more talking, more new dark secret running away from The Hood (ooo, scary!) and fleeing from ninjas (aaaah! ninjas!).
Recon.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Podmark on February 28, 2010, 10:19:32 PM
Quote from: herodad1 on February 28, 2010, 10:17:13 PM

Honestly I'm not sure. I've seen the solicits, and I expect he's in it, but I'm not sure if he's co-starring with Bucky or joining the supporting cast. Someone who's more up on Cap can probably answer this better.

There's a rumor Steve will be rebuilding Shield.

Right now, Captain America is a pretty good read, even without Steve. The problem is that they've apparently added Nomad (the Heroes' Reborn universe's female Bucky, Rikki Barnes, who is now on the regular Marvel Earth; she turned up in Captain America #600) as a back-up feature an issue or two back.

I like Bucky as Cap okay, but I want Steve back as Cap and Bucky still around with a different gimmick.

They could give Bucky a new code name (American Soldier?) and have him wear something that looks like a cross between his Winter Soldier and Bucky costumes, but with a different mask and using guns with non-lethal ammo. Maybe cut off part of his Captain America mask so the A and wings are gone and his hair is exposed?

Oh, and Bucky America no longer has an obviously cybernetic arm when he's out of costume. He was given a new one that looks like a normal human arm in the last issue. So there's a good case to give him a costume with two sleeves instead of one, or two short sleeves, when he eventually gets a new codename.

BentonGrey

Obviously I haven't been following this book, but it just occured to me that Bucky would actually make a pretty great Nomad.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Previsionary

Gracious, Tommy... not every Avenger book is written by Bendis. Did you just need to unleash on the first of the month or something? :P

Though, what was the point of canceling New Avengers only to replace it with... New Avengers. I was really hoping they were going to condense the line a little bit (for a year at least), especially if these teams aren't tackling different tones and issues. It'll be like X-men all over again. My only potential condolence will be that The Hood will stop dominating a book he's supposed to be a minor part of.

I wouldn't expect Steve back as Cap until AFTER Bucky finishes his character arc and growth. We all complain about writers not doing anything new with the characters and keeping them in a state of perpetuity, so I think it's nice that Brubaker is taking the time to actually allow these characters to grow in new ways so that they actually gain more layers rather than relive the same "growth" patterns over and over (I.E., Hank Pym over in Hank Pym, Jocasta, and those other Avengers... I mean, Mighty.) With that said, I see no reason for Steve not to be a supporting character in the book along with Sharon, Black Widow, Clint, and Falcon (and evil cap/50's Cap).

murs47

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 01, 2010, 10:55:46 PM
Obviously I haven't been following this book, but it just occured to me that Bucky would actually make a pretty great Nomad.

Bucky would make a good anything. Even a house wife. Act quickly Benton.

Zippo

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love Bucky as Cap. Maybe it's because I'm not american and never really grew up with Captain America in the first place, but Steve is just boring in a Superman/infallible moral compass sort of way. I quite like how they've got it set up now in some books, with Steve in simple black with some sort of energy shield, and Bucky as Cap. I'd like to see it stay like this for a while, with Steve in a more mentor-centric role.
Though, if Steve were to become head of SHIELD or a similar organization, as has been rumored, I would completely support that decision.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Zippo on March 02, 2010, 12:55:42 AM
Though, if Steve were to become head of SHIELD or a similar organization, as has been rumored, I would completely support that decision.

I'm pretty sure that Steve Rogers will step into Fury's old job to rebuild SHIELD from the ground up once Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors wraps up enough of HYDRA to make his job much easier. It's obvious after Secret War that the government will no longer trust Fury enough to put him back in charge of any public knowledged groups so he will probably keep running Howling Commandos and his superhuman trainee squads while remaining underground. Steve will take the publicly seen SHIELD group to face larger threats while running the Secret Avengers to handle more delicate missions best left unseen. And of course the New Captain gets to lead the "All-New" Avengers to handle superhuman threats from that point forward.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Podmark

I've been reading Cap through the Omnibuses so I'm way behind, but it's a great series read as a collection. Having read the book and seeing how much development they've put into Bucky I'd be upset if Steve took over the title with Bucky being reduced to a supporting role or worse. Cap taking over SHIELD sounds fine to me. He can be the new Tony/Norman who appears in all the books. I'd also be ok and probably prefer Steve return along Bucky as duel Captain Americas. Having two of the same hero never bothered me.

In other news there's a new and very vague/bland X-Men teaser for post Second Coming.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Courtnall6

Ha! You figure with this new "Heroic Age" they would have made Cage look...now wait for it...HEROIC! Not some guy who looks like he should be working on a chain gang with the Absorbing Man.

So sad and very lame.

Quote from: tommyboy on March 01, 2010, 08:28:46 PM
Quote from: Podmark on March 01, 2010, 07:54:49 PM

New, secret dark secret new dark secret new avengers. Now with added Wolverine and Spiderman. Plus, new secret dark Wolverine and dark secret new Spiderman. Also  secret Cage and new Spiderwoman. And I'm saying this to you, I'm telling you this; dark secret new. Talking. Six issue "stories" with lots of talking. Four Splash pages per issue. All new. All Dark. All Secret. All Talking. Ten more years of talking, repeating, talking again. Secret. Wolverine. New. Spiderman. Eating and talking, secretly.
"Heroic age" means more talking, more new dark secret running away from The Hood (ooo, scary!) and fleeing from ninjas (aaaah! ninjas!).
Recon.

Now that's just pure gold right there! :lol:
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Courtnall6

Here he is...the all new...all heroic Luke Cage!

Spoiler

:P :P :P
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Previsionary

lol, c6. You know you like Luke's new costume... or lack thereof.

murs47

I prefer Luke's old moonlighting Power-Man costume. ^_^

deano_ue

is luke cage the new wolverine, thunderbolt, new avengers, heroes for hire

Xenolith

Is Power Man actually that popular, or is he just a personal favorite with somebody on staff?  Why is he in so many comics?  Sweet Christmas!

Previsionary

Bendis loves him, that's why. Luke has become more popular because of his stint in New Avengers, but let's not kid ourselves... New Avengers was made up of characters Bendis loved (and often miswrote). Yes, he does have quite the pull. :P

BWPS

You should. It's the only comic book I read (through TPBs). For the most part, it does a decent job of staying out of huge Marvel events. Or at least it did. The writing is about as good as a monthly comic book can get.

I love the new Captain America. Of course I want Steve to come back, but I would have liked maybe another year. JB's costume is just so cool and he has a robot arm! Also it'd be cool to have Red Skull stay gone a while and let Cap actually do something. (spoiler up to issue 601)
Spoiler
I liked the last one where he saved Human Torch's body with Namor. But Road to Reborn was just so uneventful. I understand Sharon is sad about "killing" Steve, but maybe clue the reader in on what was special about the gun she found instead of just letting us know how everyone misses Steve (we've done this before) and having the big reveal at the end being Sharon saying they might be able to save him and that Red Skull's ghost didn't want to kill him. I expect Reborn to be much more awesome.
I realize these were anniversary issues, which I almost always dislike. The WWII birthday party was pretty great, I love the huge amount of flashbacks in the book.
Overall I'd give it a 3.5/5. Even though I didn't like it, that was relative to the book which is amazing. I read Secret Invasion the other day so that put how bad it COULD be into perspective.

Also, I agree about this new girl Bucky character. What's the point of adding a Jubilee character to any book, let alone one that needs to do more with the characters it has.

Also, Norman Osborne is sweet. I hope he kills Tony Stark.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

AfghanAnt

I approve of C6's Luke Cage redesign. It would've been cooler if he still had Wrecker's crowbar though...

Oh BTW
Spoiler
Spidey is a New Avengers. I have a feeling Wolverine will be as well and Avengers will be just the classic team (I guess Spider-woman counts as classic).

BentonGrey

Quote from: BWPS on March 02, 2010, 04:19:55 PM
You should. It's the only comic book I read (through TPBs). For the most part, it does a decent job of staying out of huge Marvel events. Or at least it did. The writing is about as good as a monthly comic book can get.

I love the new Captain America. Of course I want Steve to come back, but I would have liked maybe another year. JB's costume is just so cool and he has a robot arm! Also it'd be cool to have Red Skull stay gone a while and let Cap actually do something. (spoiler up to issue 601)
Spoiler
I liked the last one where he saved Human Torch's body with Namor. But Road to Reborn was just so uneventful. I understand Sharon is sad about "killing" Steve, but maybe clue the reader in on what was special about the gun she found instead of just letting us know how everyone misses Steve (we've done this before) and having the big reveal at the end being Sharon saying they might be able to save him and that Red Skull's ghost didn't want to kill him. I expect Reborn to be much more awesome.
I realize these were anniversary issues, which I almost always dislike. The WWII birthday party was pretty great, I love the huge amount of flashbacks in the book.
Overall I'd give it a 3.5/5. Even though I didn't like it, that was relative to the book which is amazing. I read Secret Invasion the other day so that put how bad it COULD be into perspective.

Also, I agree about this new girl Bucky character. What's the point of adding a Jubilee character to any book, let alone one that needs to do more with the characters it has.

Also, Norman Osborne is sweet. I hope he kills Tony Stark.

Ehh, the boycott of modern books continues, but I may read some TPB's of the series through the library at some point.

:EDIT: I do want to be clear here, I mean this straightforwardly, because I have noticed all the praises this book has been getting from y'all.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/