• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The First Avenger: Captain America - may contain spoilers eventually

Started by Ares_God_of_War, June 21, 2008, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

So this movie set up for 2011 is set to be a period peice set in WWII. What type of story would you want them to tell? Do you think it will be an origin story or his last WWII story riding the rocket into the atlantic? Who would you like to see be the Captain and do you think it could/should/would contain Hitler or just be the Red Skull?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I assume it will begin with his origin and end with him getting frozen.  If so, I'd like to see Bucky in it, and the Red Skull fits perfectly as the main villain.

docdelorean88

I recently heard that Leo DeCaprio is taking the role, however that is just speculation.

BentonGrey

DeCaprio would be a terrible choice for Cap, even though he's become a solid actor in the last few years, he simply doesn't have the look, or especially the voice for the part.  I don't believe Marvel is silly enough to choose him, rumors aside, and they have done a good enough job on their first too movies for me to extend them a fair amount of credit.  It should definitely have the Skull as the main villain....I mean, is there even any point in discussing that point? ;)

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteIt should definitely have the Skull as the main villain....I mean, is there even any point in discussing that point?

Nope.  Not really.

MJB

The last casting rumor I heard was that Matthew McConaughey was being considered.

-MJB

BWPS

Quote from: MJB on June 21, 2008, 08:38:54 PM
The last casting rumor I heard was that Matthew McConaughey was being considered.

-MJB

It was confirmed that he was definitely NOT being considered. Thank god, I would have never stopped whining. I have no idea who would be a good actor to play Steve Rogers, though. I guess it's near impossible to find someone who is really really swole but also a good actor... I'm really worried that they'll get someone terrible, like a wrester, or someone small, like a Tobey McGuire.

I think this has the potential to be the sweetest movie ever made. I really think considering Ed Brubaker to help write a screenplay would be the best idea ever. I love his Captain America, especially the WWII flashback parts. Assassin-style Bucky would be really cool to see as well, but I'd understand if they decided to exclude him.

crimsonquill

Someone in a sci-fi board I read said that Jamie Bamber (Captain Lee 'Apollo' Adama from Battlestar Galactica) would be a good Captain America since he has shown quite a range and has played military characters many times before. I think they should have another actor who looks like Jamie but in his early twenties and quite thin to play the pre-enhanced Steve during the credit sequence (so it can be a quick glimpse before he dawns his famous uniform) and then show like old war footage and newspaper clippings of Cap's career fighting in the war before the main film begins.. maybe even throw in fuzzy photos of him with Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos and The Invaders just as an easter egg (they don't have to show faces just a hint of the costumes/uniforms - well, except for Fury of course).

Hmmm.. come to think of it.. Tahmoh Penikett (Lt. Karl 'Helo' Agathon) could also pull off the role since he has that "superhero chin" as well as being able to pull off being a military man with some attitude.

- CrimsonQuill

stumpy

Seems like there ought to be a fair number actors out there who have the right look, which is that they're basically clean-cut and look like they can bench their weight. Who was that guy who was Buffy's boyfriend when she was teamed with and fighting with the initiative? Marc Blucas? Anyway, there should be plenty of options.

The problem in casting may crop up if they are determined to have a big name for the heroes in each of the new Marvel Studios movies. There is obvious appeal to that and it's worked well so far. Obviously, RDJr is a smash as Iron Man, Norton worked well as the Hulk, and Toby Maguire was good as Spider-Man. I would even say that most of their known X-Men picks were pretty good, even if I had mixed reactions to some of the movies. Of course, there were some movies where a big name didn't help. I am thinking of Daredevil here, though I don't know that was Affleck's fault.

Even if they can find a well-known actor for each role, a serious future downside is that these big name actors get busy, so doing cross-over and team movies can be... complicated. Not to mention potentially expensive. And there are egos...

TheMarvell

what about Matthew Fox from Lost, and more recently Speed Racer? He could be a good choice me thinks.

stumpy

How old is Cap supposed to be when he gets the serum in WW2?

Uncle Yuan

It's never really specified in the comics, but the average age of WWII soldiers was about 26.  I always imagined him in his early-to-mid 20s when he got super soldiered.  And assuming 3-4 years of war, in his late 20 when he got frozen.

GhostMachine

I've heard Leonardo DiCaprio has been rumored to be up for the role. Captain America is my favorite Marvel hero and I don't like DiCaprio or feel he would even be right for the part of Bucky, let alone Cap, so here's hoping that's not true or that he gets an injury that forces him to drop out if he actually is cast in the part.

If anyone follows wrestling, Cap should be someone around the same size as Ken Kennedy, but with more muscle definition. Kennedy is an inch or two too short and about 5 lbs heavier than Cap is supposed to be.

Ares_God_of_War

I'm actually liking the BSG choices that were mentioned above and I think Jamie Bamber's original hair color is blonde as well. If they were going to go with someone big named right now all my sleep deprived brain can come up with is Matt Damon since he can poull off being an action star quite believably with his Bourne series of movies.

BentonGrey

TheMarvell

BentonGrey

Ha, 'cause movie studios can take a guy with blond hair and make him seem like he's got black hair (see Punisher), but it doesn't work so well the other way around....the eyebrows give them away, even if the hair is perfect.  It just ends up looking weird.

Ares_God_of_War

Thats interesting about Kennedy GM, How tall is he? He always looked like a relatively tall person. I do agree with Benton about the hair color issue. He should be relatively close to blonde as a natural color to make him look better depending on how much face time we see as Steve Rogers. Depending on that we may get say, a smaller actor pre serum who is blonde and then if like 90% or more is just masked then you could get away with some other types of hair.

What are your opinions on the costume? Would you rather see the timely comics WWII costume or would you rather see something like the ultimate costume where its kind of a mix between a G.I. uniform and a costume?

Also who would you like to see as the Skull? Should his face be prosthetic or would you rather see something CGI?

BentonGrey

I definitely want his classic costume, but I'd rather see his classic (Avengers era) costume used for both WWII and modern scenes, as the round shield is just SOOOO iconic.

As far as the Skull, I'd definitely like it to prosthetic.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on June 22, 2008, 12:23:20 PM
Thats interesting about Kennedy GM, How tall is he? He always looked like a relatively tall person. I do agree with Benton about the hair color issue. He should be relatively close to blonde as a natural color to make him look better depending on how much face time we see as Steve Rogers. Depending on that we may get say, a smaller actor pre serum who is blonde and then if like 90% or more is just masked then you could get away with some other types of hair.

What are your opinions on the costume? Would you rather see the timely comics WWII costume or would you rather see something like the ultimate costume where its kind of a mix between a G.I. uniform and a costume?

Also who would you like to see as the Skull? Should his face be prosthetic or would you rather see something CGI?

According to Wikipedia, Kennedy is 6'2".

For Cap's costume, I want the classic look, not the costume-meets uniform look of the Ultimate universe character.

The godawful movie made back in the 1990s (with an Italian Red Skull!) had Cap in a spandex costume and actually had the ears molded onto the mask. If they have to have Cap's ears covered to make the mask work, so be it, but I'd rather they get the outfit right and no stupid spandex or leather (beyond the gloves and boots which ARE supposed to be leather, and maybe the stars and stripes).

The Red Skull's appearance should be prosthetic, with maybe some cgi assistance. Someone who either is German or can at least do a decent German accent should be cast as the Red Skull.

herodad1

my thoughts are make him blonde because he was blonde.blonde superman?nope!blonde batman?nope!if they want to stay true to the characters and not let hollywood screw it up make steve blonde.who to play cap?casting call...bring in someone totally new.i'm sure theres alot of guys out there that would love to be CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!did anyone ever read the 4 part mini series of the adventures of captain america?that would be an awsome story for a movie.if done right a cap movie could have that indiana jones thrill a-minute cliffhanger feel to it.lastly....bring back steve rogers; the one-and-only captain america!

BentonGrey

You know, the costume itself needs to be scalemail, and it would look MUCH better than that terrible film.

Ares_God_of_War

I've always loved the new "ultimate" style of real world costumes they have been using for the movies lately but I have to agree I want the classic Captain costume with the wings something like http://www.leconcombre.com/serials/CapAmerica/captainamerica-No1.jpg

The sheild I can go either way on but like Benton said the round sheild is iconic so I am sure they will use it no matter the style of costume, besides if they used the old sheild I doubt he would be able to throw it around.

I remember that movie with the italian redskull. When I first saw it I was like 12 or something and didnt think it was too bad. For the time the costume wasnt too horrible either. I wouldn't be able to sit through it now but for the time and my age range it wasnt bad.

Herodad its not so much making him blonde as with having the actor be a natural blonde instead of a dye job. Also this will be a WWII period peice so it will be Steve Rogers as Cap. You know thinking about this I really hope they at least make a referance to Isiah Bradley in it. Now when you say totally new do you mean a non-actor who looks the part like what they want to do with the new Conan movie? or do you mean someone who is a little less well known such as say a person from a T.V. series or a wrestler or an athelete or theater that isnt "big hollywood"?

Can the new James Bond guy do a German Accent? I think he would be interesting

GhostMachine

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 22, 2008, 01:18:17 PM
You know, the costume itself needs to be scalemail, and it would look MUCH better than that terrible film.

Chainmail, not scalemail. Someone got it wrong and a lot of artists have followed suit. What's worse is a lot of the arists draw it like the armor is over the shirt, while its supposed to be underneath. The sturdier mask and utility belt I can live with (the belt makes a lot of sense, actually), but the scalemail look sucks.

House Quake

'cough' 'cough'

Brad Pitt.

Yeah I like him and think je would be perfect.

thanoson

Ares_God_of_War

that could be interesting actually. Have his hair relatively short. haha it would be great for him and norton to get into it in the Avenger's movie

Shogunn2517

Not sure if this has been discussed but this movie is to be filmed at the same time as an Avengers movie, which is to be released the following month.

However, I'm trying to think in considerations to budget and I don't imagine they'd get someone who'd come with a highend pricetag like a Brad Pitt or LDC.  An interesting idea would be someone like Channing Tatem(Duke-G.I.J.O.E., Stop-Loss, She's the Man).  He buffed out a bit to be Duke and I don't think they'd want to go for an older person.  They'd want someone younger, fresh-faced and of course someone who can act.  Someone else I'd think about(personally) would be Eric Johnson(Flash Gordon, Smallville) if he buffs up a bit.  But it's a face like that I'd go for.  Younger, more believeable and fresher.

I'd imagine with the direction of the last two Marvel films, they're going to be fiercely following the Ultimate's line, which ain't a bad idea.  I'm confident this will have a similar look to the early captain in the Ultimates.  I'd like to see a film follow a story of the development of the serum, Steve Rogers before and afterwards and I'd imagine it being a mix of comic book action(the action shown with Roth's character in the Hulk was amazing) and war movie.  Sound pretty entertaining to me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, anyone who could pull Duke off probably wouldn't be a bad choice for Cap.  At any rate, that's the right type of actor.

They've stated that they don't want super big names.  Robert Downey was an unplanned exception, but from what I've heard, a good one.

At any rate, they badly need to avoid the X-men problem by making sure their cast doesn't get too expensive on them.

Mr. Hamrick

actually, i don't know that Pitt would have THAT high of a price tag for a Captain America flick.  I recall a few years back reading that Pitt was actually interested in doing the role.  I would wager that he would take a pay cut if the script was good.