• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The First Avenger: Captain America - may contain spoilers eventually

Started by Ares_God_of_War, June 21, 2008, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakew

I think I'm the only comic fan who likes Matthew McConaughey for the role. He can act (remember A Time To Kill, Contact, Frailty, Dazed & Confused, etc?), he's got the chiselled look & physique, macho attitude, etc.

The only thing is ... he may be too old for the role. He's almost 40, and I pictured Cap as being in his early 30s but seeming much older, due to the "time-jump" to present day.

It all depends on the film-makers ... should Cap be young or old, normal or hugely built, etc.

Uncle Yuan

Eww.  No.  Waaaaay too smarmy.  He could never pull off that starry-eyed idealism that I think the role requires.  Cap is Marvel's psychological equivalent to Superman - their Big Blue Boyscout, if you will.  I really can't think of anyone off the top of my head that could, and still have that broad-shouldered Ayrian look (kind of ironic really, given Cap's fight against the Nazis).  Josh Lucas, maybe?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Am I the only one who doesn't think that Cap need to be blond and blue eyed?  I know that may be the comic book version, but I don't think they need to stick to that point.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 12, 2008, 09:48:15 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Cap need to be blond and blue eyed?  I know that may be the comic book version, but I don't think they need to stick to that point.

Complete agree. I can only imagine how many people would go "OMIGAWD CAP ISNT WHITE, THATS UNAMERICAN!?!!!" if they picked someone who is ethnic.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteComplete agree. I can only imagine how many people would go "OMIGAWD CAP ISNT WHITE, THATS UNAMERICAN!?!!!" if they picked someone who is ethnic.

Well, I actually don't want someone who is ethnic for two reasons.

1.  Doesn't fit in well with the WWII setting.
2.  I like the Isaiah Bradley storyline.  Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing it woven in with the new movie and have both Captain Americas appear, perhaps with Steve rescuing Isaiah as his first mission and the movie ending with him visiting Isaiah in the present.

BentonGrey

Well, not really knowing anything about Isaiah Bradley, I've got no investment with the character, but if you want a non-traditional Cap, than I'd at least want an established character to be used.  However, my purest colors are showing, and I want my Cap to look just like he does in the comics!

Plus, I always liked the whole Aryan angle to Captain America, the fact that he was the Nazi's idea of the ideal man, and he was TOTALLY opposed to that very ideal.  It increased the tension between the ideologies of freedom and equality on the one hand, and conquest and hierarchy on the other.  There was something very Dietrich Bonhoeffer about it.

Podmark

Yeah using Isiah Bradley could help, and it'd make things easier if they ever wanted to make a Young Avengers movie. That reminds me Marvel is supposed to be making a Runaways movie. That could be cool.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, I've been thinking this through, and I've got a cool concept for a Cap movie featuring Isaah.

The movie starts with the usual stuff.  Steve is a fervent idealist guy, gets rejected from the military because he's too physically weak (polio perhaps) but gets accepted for the supersoldier program because the government wants a symbol to rally the morale of the people and Steve idealistic faith in his government makes him perfect.

He's sent on his first mission, confronts the Red Skull for the first time.  Then he find out that the supersoldier formula was test on a group of black soldiers most of who are badly scarred, both physically and mentally.  He further finds out that Isaah Bradley, the last test subject before cap and the most unharmed of the group had previous stolen an early Cap uniform against orders and gone after the Nazis, but had been abandoned by the government, who figured he'd be useless to the Nazis anyways, but now they figured out enough of the formula to create a flawed version in the Red Skull. 

Now they send Cap to rescue Isaiah, but not because they care about him, but only so the nazis won't perfect the formula.  This destroys caps faith in his country and his mission is as much a struggle in himself as to what he believes as it is a rescue mission.  In the end, he rescues Isaiah and determines that the best way to be a patriot is to not only protect his country from its enemies, but to use his influence as an American symbol to make his country better.  He tries to get Isaiah freed from his court martial so he can serve as a second Captain America, but his superiors don't want a black captain america and don't like Cap's new attitude.  Nonetheless, the abilities granted him are useful, so he is sent against the Red Skull again, but is overwhelmed.  The army recieves word that Cap is in trouble.  Suddenly, Isaah shows up to help Cap, having been promised freedom from his court martial, and helps Cap defeat the Red Skull, but in the process, Cap gets frozen.  Isaiah returns, only to be kicked out of the army and forced into near imprisonment to keep his secret.

Skip to the present.  Cap is revived and the first thing he sees is Nick Fury (Sam L. Jackson again) who explains what year it is and introduced himself as General Nick Fury.  This makes Cap smile as he is told that Isaiah, and through him, Steve Rogers, became an important symbol and inspiration during the civil rights movement.  The elderly, but still young looking, Isaiah is brought in, obviously suffering from something like altzheimer's, but remembers Cap for a moment and greets him warmly.  The movie ends with Fury telling him that he was revived for a reason, "You're country still needs you.  I'd like you to meet your new team."

Well, something like that, anyway.

docdelorean88

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 11, 2008, 01:01:19 PM
Wait, I didn't notice that.......Jurassic Park III...that doesn't exactly help his case.  Still, Rocketeer is a pretty strong argument in his favor.
oh, don't tell me your one of those people who thought 2 was better than 3. <_< :D
Just kidding everyone has there own oppinion :lol:

I like my Jurassic Park like i like my Indiana Jones

In order from best to worst:
Jurassic Park/The Raiders of the lost ark
Jurassic Park 3/ The Last Crusade
The Lost World: Jurassic Park/The Temple of Doom

And Yes, Rocketeer is a strong Plus!

TheMarvell

what, no Jumanji enthusiasts? :P I love that movie! Joe Johnston's a good director. He's just got some not so pretty movies in his resume, JP3 being probably the biggest one, although I actually didn't think it was that bad.

but I don't care for the alleged title as "The First Avenger: Captain America". Why not just call it the title name, Captain America, like all of Marvel's other movies have done?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Because it's a lead-in to the Avengers movie to be released a month later.

BWPS

Quote from: docdelorean88 on November 15, 2008, 10:50:04 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on November 11, 2008, 01:01:19 PM
Wait, I didn't notice that.......Jurassic Park III...that doesn't exactly help his case.  Still, Rocketeer is a pretty strong argument in his favor.
oh, don't tell me your one of those people who thought 2 was better than 3. <_< :D

And Yes, Rocketeer is a strong Plus!
There's people who liked 3 over 2?!
I thought 2 was probably the best in the series, overall. It was more action, which is a good thing when it comes to dinosaurs. It reminds me of the difference between Alien and Aliens.

The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies though, and that's what gives me good hopes for this.

BentonGrey

Ughh......no, no, no, definitely not.  I thought Lost World was a mediocre book turned into a terrible movie.  It wouldn't have been so bad if the characters just hadn't been so painfully stupid.  Anyway, interesting concept Cat, but I'd prefer a Cap movie to be more idealistic.

TheMarvell

for Jurassic Park: I would have liked 2 better than 3 if it weren't for that god-awful ending where they take the dinosaur back to the main land. They even threw in a Godzilla homage with a group of Japanese people frantically running away from the T-Rex, making it extra cheesy. Ugh...

For Cap: Am I the only one who finds all this set-up for an Avengers movie kind of...well, lame? I get this feeling that the eventual movie won't even have that good of a story, but just a weak excuse to team up all these superheroes in a big all-out action fest. I'll gladly eat my own words if it's a great movie, but I can't say I'm a fan of franchises making entries for the sole purpose of setting something up for a sequel or another movie (and this goes the same for the video game industry, who likes to focus more on sequels to fix issues rather than the immediate game).

BentonGrey

Marvell, I'd give a lot more credence to your fears if the two films we have already got weren't just unabashedly awesome.  Marvel still has plenty of time to screw things up irrevocably, but I'd say they've earned some faith and good will. 

djfredski

TheMarvell

I know Iron Man and Incredible Hulk were awesome, but I also found the added "lead-in" scenes to be my least favorite parts of the movie. At least Iron Man's was at the end of the credits, unlike Hulk's, which was almost entirely out of place. But whether or not the Avengers movie is good, I still don't think the Captain America movie has to tie directly into it, per se. I don't see why it can't be like Iron Man, which will be it's own franchise PLUS in the Avengers.

as for the role, of all the famous people I've seen mentioned, I guess Brad Pitt would be a good choice, but imo, he's just too damn famous. I'd rather have a lesser known actor, or possibly someone completely unheard of.

|