• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The First Avenger: Captain America - may contain spoilers eventually

Started by Ares_God_of_War, June 21, 2008, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWPS

Quote from: Adamence on June 24, 2008, 06:21:05 PM
But, there's an ace in the hole to get him as Cap... have Kevin Smith direct it...haha.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, that'd be the worst movie ever! Kevin Smith! Good one!

JeyNyce

Last thing from me about Brad Pitt: I think he would have been a better Ghost Rider than Cap.  And House Quake you do bring up some good points about Brad as well.  I did like him in 12 monkeys & Legends of the Fall, but I don't think he can play a solider role.

docdelorean88

Brad Pit is being considered for Thor. I Think he's better cast as thor than Cap.

Ares_God_of_War

Eh, I dont think Pitt is big enough for Thor. He is big enough for Cap but I dont think close enough for Thor

House Quake

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on June 26, 2008, 06:03:38 PM
Eh, I dont think Pitt is big enough for Thor. He is big enough for Cap but I dont think close enough for Thor
:thumbdown:
I read some of those rumors as well.  I think people who liked him in 'Troy' are making the Thor connection.  But... Thos really needs to be physically commanding and is the only character I can see going for a potential nobody for sake of the physical presence.  Or a wrestler like Triple H or similiar.

BWPS

Quote from: House Quake on June 26, 2008, 06:38:03 PM
Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on June 26, 2008, 06:03:38 PM
:thumbdown:
I read some of those rumors as well.  I think people who liked him in 'Troy' are making the Thor connection.  But... Thos really needs to be physically commanding and is the only character I can see going for a potential nobody for sake of the physical presence.  Or a wrestler like Triple H or similiar.
I'm not sure if HHH would be such a terrible actor, and he does look the part. Just, please, God, no Motorhead theme.

Carravaggio

I don't see why they can't scout out Scandinavia for a 7 ft tall viking's descendant.
They needed a 7ft tall native American for one flew over the cuckoo's nest and they never thought they would find one, but they lucked across him in an airport (so the story goes).
I guarantee there is a huge, imposing blond guy somewhere in that part of the world that can bench press VW and majored in theater. All they have to do is find him and we will have out Thor.

House Quake

Quote from: Carravaggio on June 27, 2008, 12:17:36 AM
I don't see why they can't scout out Scandinavia for a 7 ft tall viking's descendant.
They needed a 7ft tall native American for one flew over the cuckoo's nest and they never thought they would find one, but they lucked across him in an airport (so the story goes).
I guarantee there is a huge, imposing blond guy somewhere in that part of the world that can bench press VW and majored in theater. All they have to do is find him and we will have out Thor.

The thing is Marvel appears to be going with 'star' appeal.  And like Ironman and Hulk so far... I think they will continue to go that trend with Thor and Cap America.  The lead actors don't have to be household names... but some familiarity from te public is at I think they are going for.

Carravaggio

Unfortunately its that same producer's thinking that gave us Nic Cage as Johnny Blaze (a balding 50 year old brunette to play a long haired biker thrillseeker two thirds his age), ben affleck to play matt murdock (a 6' 4" dark haired guy to play a 5' 10" redhead) and a waif like, redhead Jen Garnier to play the distinctly greek Elektra (it might seem like I'm making a big deal out of hair colour, but when they can't even be bothered to get that right fort he cost of a bottle of hair dye, you know their priorities are messed up).

The no name thing can work tho, look at Jackman as Wolvie, he had only made a few aussie movies (and an aussie TV show) and some small roles in american movies. I also think Eric Bana did well as Hector and as Bruce Banner, regardless of what people thought of hulk overall, and if you saw how his career started in Australia, man, would you laugh.

I get what you're saying Quake, and I have no doubt you're right. Which is unfortunate. I guess my hope for a no name is a pipe dream.

And I'm as big a fan of Triple h as you will find, but they guy isn't pretty, and he can't play noble (arrogant he has downpat).

I've heard a few people throw around the name of the lead Viking from 13th Warrior. Thats a casting I could get behind...

Carravaggio

Quote from: House Quake on June 23, 2008, 02:17:32 AM
But if Marvel wants to go inexpensive with an actor in the lead role.. then Thomas Jane would be a good choice.  He's familiar with Marvel and I don't blame him for his version of 'The Punisher' not being what many hoped it would.  Though i liked him in the role and as an actor period.

Funny, as soon as my brother and I saw Punisher we both agreed Jane would have made a brilliant Cap. Punisher wasn't bad, Jane just went for the wrong role  ^_^

stumpy

Two things pop into my head.

First, there is a value to getting "the look" right. For example, I think Reese Witherspoon is a good actress, but I don't think she works as Wonder Woman. I would think there would be a fair number of well-built male actors who could be made believably blond. Of course, even as far as looks are concerned, there's more to Cap than someone who looks like he's seen the inside of a gym. One worry is that so many actors nowadays have that I'm too cool for school attitude and they cultivate that for themselves. That is, they always have sort of a smirk or sly look, like they might be a little mean. That's great for sex appeal (gods know why), but I would prefer not to look at a smirking, bad-boy Cap. Not that he should be some sort of naif, but he should be sort of wholesome and respectable. I hope they take that into account when trying to get the look right.

So much for casting the guy who can play Cap's statue.  :D

Secondly, I am not particularly concerned whether the actor is well known or unknown. It still comes down to the acting. The problem with an unknown is just that: his skills are unknown, so you can't be sure he can handle the role. I would agree that Hugh Jackman made a good Wolverine, but I also think they sort of got lucky. When someone has less experience under his belt, they are taking a bigger chance on him. Obviously, a good approach might be to go for someone who comes well recommended from leading roles in other venues (indy pics, theater, etc.) but who hasn't broken into stardom yet... I would really, really prefer that they did that instead of settling for some sport star and hoping the name recognition will cover for a lack of leading role experience.

GhostMachine

I have the solution:

Paul Walker as Captain America

....with his lines dubbed by Tom Hanks!  :P

House Quake

Quote from: Carravaggio on June 27, 2008, 01:24:05 AM
Unfortunately its that same producer's thinking that gave us Nic Cage as Johnny Blaze (a balding 50 year old brunette to play a long haired biker thrillseeker two thirds his age), ben affleck to play matt murdock (a 6' 4" dark haired guy to play a 5' 10" redhead) and a waif like, redhead Jen Garnier to play the distinctly greek Elektra (it might seem like I'm making a big deal out of hair colour, but when they can't even be bothered to get that right fort he cost of a bottle of hair dye, you know their priorities are messed up).

The no name thing can work tho, look at Jackman as Wolvie, he had only made a few aussie movies (and an aussie TV show) and some small roles in american movies. I also think Eric Bana did well as Hector and as Bruce Banner, regardless of what people thought of hulk overall, and if you saw how his career started in Australia, man, would you laugh.

I get what you're saying Quake, and I have no doubt you're right. Which is unfortunate. I guess my hope for a no name is a pipe dream.

And I'm as big a fan of Triple h as you will find, but they guy isn't pretty, and he can't play noble (arrogant he has downpat).

I've heard a few people throw around the name of the lead Viking from 13th Warrior. Thats a casting I could get behind...
Of the Marvel movies made in the last decade...  spider-man, X-Men, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Blade, Punisher, Elektra, Hulk, Incredible Hulk and, Ironman...  Only Hulk (Eric Bana) cast a virtual unknown into the lead role.  X-Men was an ensemble movie with a mix of no name (Hugh Jackman), familiar faces (Patrick Stewart) and a-list celebrities (the terribly cast Halle Berry).  They got lucky with Hugh... whom may I add since you mention the physical aspects of Afleck and J. Garner... was no where near the height required for Wolvie'.

All of the others cast lead actors who already had nice resumes (and/or were riding the wave after making thier big breaks in other films.

The only truly bad cast of all the movies were Nick Cage and Halle Berry.  I know Nick wanted to do a super hero movie bad... but that wasn't the one.  There is still a role or two out there for him (Dr. Strange...?) ... though I think he may have missed the boat with the genre.  And of all the black actresses they could have went after to play Storm... they choose probably the worst one.  Where a couple other movies or sequels fell short... I put more blame on the wrters and directors than the actors.

The one thing I find interesting is that IMO some people stereotype actors like a Brad Pitt as a 'pretty boy'  with limited acting ability or as if they are incapable of playing certain roles.  A good actor is a good actor regardless of how he looks.  An actors like Brad Pitt is at the top not because of his looks alone... but because he has a proven track record of playing a wide range of characters... well.  He isn't alone in this aspect.  I think people are calling for a 'no name' because they assume a stereotype on an actor like him. And because of that stereotype... has seen few of his movies having based thier opinion from the one or two they did see.  Also they are looking for an actor with whom they can 'type cast' into the role.   ie   The 'Christopher Reeves' model.  They want a guy who fits the 'physical' image as if they walked from ther comic page... have no other rolls which they may be associated with... and if they can act... it would be a bonus.

Ehhh... I've waited to many years for some of these movies to be made... esp Cap America.  or him I want marvel to lay it all on the table and get the best 'actor' possible.  I really don't want to see... nor do I expect to see a gamble being taken on a character like Cap.  Thor iis another thing.  Because that movie promises to be a more 'visual' spectacular... I can see going for a no name in that roll because the 'look' of Thor and how he fits in with the surroundings will be as important if not more important than a 'name'.

Shogunn2517

Just to let it be known, as much as I and a bunch others like Triple H to play Thor, with the look build and quite frankly acting in a comic book movie previously(and I object to him not being noble, that was his first angle in the WWE).  However we feel, I do know there is a certain 7' tall actor with blonde hair who has acted in comic book movies before who has been pining for the role; Tyler Mane.  Yes, Sabertooth from X-Men and Ajax from Troy.  But last I heard, I heard that the slotted director was eying the skinny six-foot tall Kevin McKidd(Rome/Journeyman) for the part...

Although we're not at the point of technology where they can make the tall short and the short tall... I-I don't know...

But speaking of such movies, What about Ryan Reynolds as Capt?

JeyNyce

IMDB has Ryan Reynolds playing as Deadpool in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie.

Carravaggio

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on June 29, 2008, 10:12:46 PM
Just to let it be known, as much as I and a bunch others like Triple H to play Thor, with the look build and quite frankly acting in a comic book movie previously(and I object to him not being noble, that was his first angle in the WWE).

I would suggest that Triple H first debuted in WWE as an arrogant nobleman, true, but he was hardly noble. As such, it remains to be seen if he can pull off Shakespearean depth, heroic selflessness and the noble bearing of a god. As big a fan as I am of the guy, and as great as he would look in the Ultimate Thor outfit, I think it'd be a mistake, and instead of a vast epic of the power and history of the norse gods, we get a lot of punching and a heavy metal soundtrack  <_<

Previsionary

ugh...current ultimate thor is a mess...let's not mention him anymore, plz. ^_^

House Quake

Quote from: Carravaggio on June 30, 2008, 07:38:19 PM
Quote from: Shogunn2517 on June 29, 2008, 10:12:46 PM
Just to let it be known, as much as I and a bunch others like Triple H to play Thor, with the look build and quite frankly acting in a comic book movie previously(and I object to him not being noble, that was his first angle in the WWE).

I would suggest that Triple H first debuted in WWE as an arrogant nobleman, true, but he was hardly noble. As such, it remains to be seen if he can pull off Shakespearean depth, heroic selflessness and the noble bearing of a god. As big a fan as I am of the guy, and as great as he would look in the Ultimate Thor outfit, I think it'd be a mistake, and instead of a vast epic of the power and history of the norse gods, we get a lot of punching and a heavy metal soundtrack  <_<

I think of HHH to the role of Thor almost as strong as I did Patrick Stewart as Prof. X.  before an X-Man movie was even considered. I (and many others) thought the role was tailor made for Mr. Stewart.  Or even Cristian Bale after I watched Equilibrium and said to myself, "This guy would be a great Bruce Wayne if they ever made another Batman movie."

of course the list of actors for other roles I got wrong is 10x as long... but I'm just sayin'...   :P

IMO...  he has 'some' acting ability and I'm sure a good script, a good director and a good supporting cast could carry a HHH in a Thor movie.   I never thought Dwayne Johnson would be worth anything... but when given the opportunity he proved that he has 'some' acting ability.  No oscar winners... but can act none the less.

Some one mentioned Tyler Mane... physically he could do well... but I've seen even less 'acting' ability from him even though he's been in several movies.  i just do not want to see some skinny guy trying to pull off such a physically imposing character.

Uncle Yuan

On a Cap-related note: I saw the Incredible Hulk this weekend and really enjoyed the depictions of Blonsky post SSS/pre-Abomination.  I hope it's a preview of Cap to come - fast, powerful, acrobatic . . . everything Cap should be.

BlueBard

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on July 01, 2008, 04:25:47 AM
On a Cap-related note: I saw the Incredible Hulk this weekend and really enjoyed the depictions of Blonsky post SSS/pre-Abomination.  I hope it's a preview of Cap to come - fast, powerful, acrobatic . . . everything Cap should be.

I'll second that.

House Quake

Quote from: BlueBard on July 01, 2008, 10:03:38 AM
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on July 01, 2008, 04:25:47 AM

I'll second that.
Third

Ares_God_of_War

I agree. I also liked the healing factor Blonsky had. I hope Cap is relatively as powerful as that.

MJB

Pick a guy with experience directing a period pic to direct a comic inspired period pic? Well done so far.
:thumbup:

-MJB

BentonGrey

The Hitman

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's the same guy behind the Rocketeer?  In that case, I am impressed.  He's already proven that he can do a superhero movie based on comics set in WW II, so sounds like a good fit.

Ares_God_of_War

This pleases me :)  Now if we could get some info on who to play Cap. lol

docdelorean88

Jurassic Park III, well, color me, pickle me, tickle me excited! I think this will defenitely be good.

BentonGrey

Wait, I didn't notice that.......Jurassic Park III...that doesn't exactly help his case.  Still, Rocketeer is a pretty strong argument in his favor.

|