Tutorial: Make shapes in FFVTTR using the texture EZ Pt.1

Started by SickAlice, December 03, 2023, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Intro: This tutorial is for making fake 3d models using the textures in FFVTTR. Unfortunately the Alpha Transparency function was not properly implemented in FF and results in a mess.

Download the following RAR file containing a mesh and textures. Everything is already done for you here but just to look at and for copying settings if needed.
https://thelitterbox.freedomforce4ever.com/temp/AlphaCutTut/Big_Batguy.rar

Part 1: Big Batguy went out to fight crime in Googum City last night and his foe, The Jerkface laughed at his cape. Let's help our friend Big Batguy out and fix his cape for him so he can strike fear into criminals.

Part 2: If the nif does not have any Alpha settings we will need to add them in Nifskope. Click on the desired 3d model, in this case the cape, then Right Click >  Attach Property > NiAlphaProperty. Right click > Flags on the new Alpha Property and a window with different settings fields will pop up. Pictured are the best settings when you intended to toggle between visible parts.

Part 3: Most nifs will not have a Stencil Property and it needs to be added. What this does is the game engine map the "other" side of a model. Low poly models are usually only textured to a side and the other is not. If the game engine attempts to display the unmapped side it will instead cause a hole in reality that everything can be seen through. Like putting a cardboard roll next to your hand and "seeing" the world "through your own hand" despite it being solid.
https://www.instructables.com/Hole-in-Your-Hand-Illusion/

Like an Alpha Property we click on the 3d model  and Right Click >  Attach Property > NiStencilProperty. Bringing up Nifskope's Block Detail prompt we see all sorts of variables including a long string of numbers. The only thing we are concerned with right now is Draw Mode. Change this from 0 to 3. 3 will draw a dark version of the texture on the unmapped side. This will look good for things like the inside of capes, jackets, gloves, boot cuffs and so on.

Part 4: If the texture does not have an Alpha Channel we will need to add one. This is done in a click like so. An Alpha Channel tells the game engine what the visibility of the 3d model is and how to draw it. Color index #FFFFFF is pure white and represents solid. #000000 is pure black and represents invisible. Scales between these represent translucency.

Usually when you find an Alpha Channel on a texture it will be completely white or black. I find it better to cut out the individual objects except in the case of the body. This trick allows us to make several different costumes and weapons for our character that the player can switch between.

A tga with an Alpha Channel is saved as a 32-bit image file. A dds with an Alpha Channel is saved as an 8.8.8.8 32 bpp unsigned. Refer to Ewwzy's tutorial for a more detailed understanding of how different texture formats work in the games.
http://www.freedomforce.ewzzy.com/tgavdds.php

Part 5: Now we are ready to cut out our texture. Going to the texture and the Alpha Channel we made or that was already there, copy and past the Alpha Channel stencil (included) and save the texture. I created this the EZ way, but downloading a PNG of Batmans cape (tutorial link). The ridges are Batman's, erm, Big Batguy's cape are a little hard to do and time consuming and this will make it very official.

I did something wrong in our tutorial btw. Standard capes for Freedom Force are two models, not one. You can see in our pictures there are two mapped capes. They are also not mapped the same as each other. That would make lining up both very difficult (I've done it, it takes a long time and a lot of patience).

Also since the models aren't connected everywhere it gives the appearance of two separate capes. So we want to use only one. We should use the one on the right side as that is the outer cape. That would create dark shading facing the character. Also the inside cape falls through the characters body when it is animated. But for the tutorial I did this backwards just so I can show you the end result. I've been otherwise been making new caps for years. You can find them in most of my downloads. Those are mapped correctly so you can use Alpha Stencils on them with little to no work.

Result: What looks a sculpted cape model but really isn't. But oh no. The Jerkface is still laughing at Big Batguy.
Oh wait. I see the problem now. The Jerkface is just a jerk! Big Batguy! Do not listen to him! The only person you need to respect you is yourself.

You can download The Jerkface here though I don't know why you would want that guy around.
https://thelitterbox.freedomforce4ever.com/temp/AlphaCutTut/The_Jerkface.rar

There really isn't a limit to what you can make with this technique. Capes, collars, detailed clothing and jewelry, chains, detailed shields, weapons, hair and so on. And it's very easy to do and does not consume much time at all. Or if you even do not know how to make your own textures at all.

spydermann93

wow, thanks for the tips on all of this, SA! This is really helpful! Especially for a meshing and skinning noob like myself, lol