News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Yahoo Groups

Started by Randomdays, January 09, 2023, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randomdays

Anybody with tech skills want to try this? It would be great if it got some files back

https://datahorde.org/how-to-recover-your-yahoo-groups-from-the-internet-archive/

Panther_Gunn

Just glancing through the link, it seems to mention mostly just recovering the messages from the group, but perhaps not the files.  That being said, when I checked in on the Save Yahoo Groups Discord channel, I looked through some of the raw lists of the groups they had grabbed, and even through I only tried searching for a few, I didn't seem to find many of our sites in the list.  Also, if this relies on the data that they grabbed as things were shutting down, there's a lot of files that had disappeared by that time.  Daglob had written about it, and I've seen it in the dump files (the GYD tool mentioned in this link).  Of all of the groups that I was a member of, there are whole swaths of groups that were just empty, that I'm sure still had files not that long before the close.

If someone else has time to dig deeper into this before I do (and that could be a healthy list of people), don't be dissuaded by my lack of success.  I had only put forth a token effort when I had a bunch of other things going on all at once.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

SickAlice

I did the same thing I think? I just looked at Tommyboys stuff since that was an easy one to think of right away. I don't see anything like a zip file either, just the page data itself. Mostly what is helpful is "what" is being looked for I guess because needle in a rather large haystack. Remember a few people removed their content at some point because they didn't want them distributed anymore so their should be files that are missing for good.