If there were a new freedom force or freedom force successor....

Started by agentfidok9, May 17, 2022, 01:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentfidok9

What would your Wishlist be for said game?

i had this question in my head for a while I was wanting to ask of this freedom fandom if such a thing came. like for example besides something graphics wise. like say new features for in-game character and map editor or creator, modding tools and support, better ai team mates or enemies, maybe having more then 4 heroes on the team.

What would you guys want from a new :ff: game (if Ghost Story Games wanted to make one) or an unofficial successor with similar mechanics and gameplay created by any developer both triple A or indie?

spydermann93

mal19uk

I'm sure I have seen some characters with flying melee. Angel possibly

spydermann93

There's a workaround into making a projectile with a flying melee animation. There are also melee attacks that can hit flying units if you use built-in powers, but they can't be used if you're flying.

Really, all I would want are some changes here and there and :ffvstr: would be perfect.

cranlox

new attributes especially for private armies (I know there is a way to do it but it is enormously cumbersome one or two pc breaks ago I managed to configure them following the steps of this friendly forum).
That and being able to make metamorphic characters that can transform into all the characters in your own game

Epimethee

Quote from: SickAlice on May 18, 2022, 08:27:35 AM(I was studying high polynomials then, very boring class and do not suggest).
Sounds like fun, fin, FUN! (I can imagine it'd be very valuable for a lot of math-related domains, but, yeah? If you're not one of the few who really enjoy this kind of stuff, it must be the epitome of boringness.

Quote from: SickAlice on May 18, 2022, 08:27:35 AMI was studying high polynomials then, very boring class and do not suggest). But I mean, Netimmerse up to date or at least to Oblivion standards since most of the mod tools focus on that engine.
The thing is, Netimmerse and all are so completely outdated, limited, buggy, complicated and incompatible with evolving OSes and hardware. More to the point, this is only beneficial to an ever-shrinking community.

New game engines such as Unity, Unreal or Godot are incredibly powerful... and free! Mind you, I gave up on doing any kind of serious work in Unity when I realized the kind of commitment required - I don't want it to be my full-time job. (Funnily enough, I'm currently working on a project for Unity, the company.)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

agentfidok9

well i seen some people were kind of making freedom force type games, first there was Alex or ABenavides who was working on My Hero Sandbox (aka Super-Squad) in 2010 and shared his progress through blog posts on his website. and looking through them, he was making progress and breaking ground on it for 3 years and it sounded promising what super squad was going to offer. but after the lost post 2012, I think Alex might have gotten burned out and shelfed the project, OfCourse I don't mind Alex correcting me or giving me a retrospective on the project. http://www.alexff.com/blog.php?pg=blog_sbx001.php

then there's Dr.mike (one of the creators behind the ffx-square and ffx2 mod) who is developing a universal RPG system for the Unity engine called RPGrules, which would be a useful asset for anyone who wanted to create a game similar to freedom force (or even a mmo similar to city of hero's or champions online) I would definitely keep an eye on that.

Also there is Sentinels of Freedom, which is a tactical turn based superhero rpg game, its seems good but certainly has lot to be desired as it lacks a modding scene (not to mention no workshop for steam users) that freedom force has and the simulator mode is also on par with the danger room/rumble mode. Also, the upcoming Marvel's Midnight Suns by 2k and Firaxis Games, who created the current x-com games sense 2012. but its telling with it being a marvel game with marvel heroes. There's is no doubt in question what can be customizable in that game outside of the hunter character. its bit a too much of a far cry from the Irrational games/Ghost story game's Freedom force for sure.

I might throw my thoughts of my wishlist from time to time of what a new  :ff: game or successor would need.

hmarrs

Would love to see FF be played as a first person game instead of RPG.
Like Batman Arkum...so it be more fluent without stops.
Just a playthrough follow behind type if that makes sense..
I know Bearded was working on that once and even put out like sample to download with Minuteman playable...but I dont know whatever happened to that.

bearded

I remade that a couple of years ago. I could try and find it if anyone is interested. I also had a top down demo, but I think that's lost to the winds.

hmarrs

Bearded!!!
Hows it going I know you had some health issues how have you been?
I know you were looking for funding from the Community to finish the Project if you haven't finished it and still need funding maybe we can start that back that up.
I would happily donate...
Even if the platform is made to be able to build upon our own maps and skins and meshes..
I know its alot but if we come together it would set off a whole new Revival.
Together we can do it..Because that Demo was Amazing...
I know its somewhere on here if we can Repost it so people can see what were talking about because that Demo was Awesone.

bearded

I appreciate that. I have bought all the resources over the years, it's just a matter of having the time. Most of my free time is used for art commissions and writing gamebooks. ("Caddell" on DriveThruRPG)

hmarrs

I hear ya but keep us Posted because what you were working on was Revolutionary for Freedom Force and the Freedom Force Community..I might still have the Demo you did saved if so would you mind if I make it Downloadable so people can see what were talking about?
Also if you find anything you stll had anything you posted for download I'd be interested for sure Brother.

bearded

Please make the demo available. I can probably reverse engineer it and add stuff to it. Maybe some new levels.

hmarrs

abenavides

Quote from: agentfidok9 on May 26, 2022, 04:28:56 AM
well i seen some people were kind of making freedom force type games, first there was Alex or ABenavides who was working on My Hero Sandbox (aka Super-Squad) in 2010 and shared his progress through blog posts on his website. and looking through them, he was making progress and breaking ground on it for 3 years and it sounded promising what super squad was going to offer. but after the lost post 2012, I think Alex might have gotten burned out and shelfed the project, OfCourse I don't mind Alex correcting me or giving me a retrospective on the project. http://www.alexff.com/blog.php?pg=blog_sbx001.php

then there's Dr.mike (one of the creators behind the ffx-square and ffx2 mod) who is developing a universal RPG system for the Unity engine called RPGrules, which would be a useful asset for anyone who wanted to create a game similar to freedom force (or even a mmo similar to city of hero's or champions online) I would definitely keep an eye on that.

I think that's fair summary of my project which I was doing with Tommyboy (who did all the art assets). I haven't revisited it recently and it may likely be outdated tech-wise now.

I am also very interested in Dr. Mike's work - excited to see what he has going on!
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

crosspotts1.0

i just want better animations and the ability to use a male basic skin/ female basic skin  so i can still skin any character i want and have him basically in and the hair and weapons armor and any assets body parts like 2 heads arms wings tentacles  tails stretchy body parts  would be pre built in the game and it should be easier to add animations that become universal  for any character like maybe an move animator built in to the game and flying combat free roam mode watch mode more team battles powers easy add fx easy ai maker and story maker built in a team system in you create different teams and they can be ally or villains but if they don't share the same allegiance they will fight amogest them self they also attack citizens rob banks ect using random encounters during free roam and you can chose to stop them or you can chose to be a villain or hero and a lot more i have thought of   

Omegaprime

You all need to work together. I have noticed alot of talent and everyone going in parallel directions, but not on the same path. I truly believe this community as a whole could generate the funds, expertise and managed time to create the game you all know and love. I also believe from observation , you have every facet of a functional design team as well as play testers, information gathering, market discovery and even legal. I believe this community IS the "game dev" you all wish to create what is obviously a great passion to you ALL!...FREEDOM FORCE!

RingsOfReznor

Being able to set the path of projectiles/beams to a custom math function, or spawn other powers at an instance of a power would be really neat. I think a code interface in the custom heroes/powers and a preview of the power firing would facilitate this nicely.

And give liberty lad his nuke grenade! The fx are in  :ff: and it would make sense that MM's experience with the bomb would have some bearing on his Energy X, as it did with Sukhov. Maybe 300 percenter can trigger a small nuclear blast  :o
VRANG VRANG VRANG VRANG

Borgaster

Freedom Force(1 & 2), Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and Star Wars: Battlefront II are the best. The problem is that in the case of these two games for Star Wars the people don't stop to create total conversions for these games and for Freedom Force only Alex and Benton are keeping this game alive. In the case for example of Mugen and OpenBOR one or other guy make a game different and 90% make the same thing. But, no problem, i will be the Elon Musk of this game, i will mount a team for make the best mods for this game and upgrade him. So people, just wait because...
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name
Name? I need remove this crazy nickname and put my real name and my real face here. 

Deaths Jester

Going to give you a few tips Borgster  because i have seen folks in the past act/sound like you and things always seem to end badly...so this is more a heads up and list of tips to keep you from finding yourself on the wrong side of things even more:

1)  quit disrespectin all the other creators not named Benton gray or Alex, because there are a lot more folks who have done a lot to keep this game going this long.

2) realize that there has been talk over the years of updating/creating a newer version and it always comes down to the fact that irrational/whatever their name is now, still owns full rights to the game and characters. Legally, what we get it what we got...because the question of allowing us to create a newer version has been raised to them before and the answer has always been no.

3) Realize this is a game that is over twenty years old and the community has been around that long too. As time stretches out, a combo of fatigue, real life, other interests, and it getting harder to run the game on newer systems means people have moved on...it happens in all forums/content creations concerning games.

4) concerning another of your posts, tommyboy didn't take down his rsite. He was hosted by catwho who - due to circumstances - had to end the contract with the hosting group. This affected multiple sites - not just tommyboy's - but there is something going on behind the scenes to try and get those river back up. If you had looked at more of the threads on here you would have seen the announcement.

5) acting like you are going to revolutionize everything and be *the next Elon musk" - not even sure those two things nh together but staying out of that - is the absolute wrong way of doing things. Acting like that will make sure that very few to no one will work with you because we have already had our share of folks claiming to be revolutionaries that talk like this - a large portion of them doff up being banned for stepping over the line in how they treat people/how they act/the trouble they bring to the forum.

Just a heads up.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

Just going to echo what dj said (we've all done this song and dance with making a new game before, unless you have a working demo and proper rights licenses you're jumping off the same cliff ive seen dozens of other creators, with more talent and focus than you, jump off of and it always. Always. ALWAYS goes nowhere.) To say I've got all the cat hosted sites, including tommyboys, ready to re-upload as soon as I get some bills taken care of from a recent move (files which are backed up and which a half dozen members have full access to jic), which should happen around February/March.

You want to improve the game, make mods for it. Make content. Don't do the scammer song and dance of a new installment. It's a pipe dream. One we've all heard a dozen times by now.

Edit: just wanted to add on the additional cold water that I've brought up before: we exist in a technically illegal space. We are able to do what we do because *we do not matter*. The amount disney or wb could squeeze out of the community is not worth the effort. FF is over a decade old, it's not a competition to mua3 or gotham knights or spiderman 2.

FF got made before the explosion of the mcu and superhero films. It could not have been made today. Disney would have taken one look at the open ended character creator and made them close it off. They'd spend whatever money they had to to bury it, because it directly undercuts their games.

As nice as a new game would be, I'm old enough to remember the sea of c&ds marvel flooded us with, pre-disney. A new game would only bring that back, 1000x worse. No thank you.

Omegaprime

:thumbdown: the open ended character generator isn't infringement. the comments show the true reason behind the stagnation and lack of activity here, old entrenched mindsets. I'm a business owner and i have been served cease and desist orders and i told them to take me to court...it stopped. Its a scare tactic big money uses to scare little people and companies, eliminate their content, create your own and tell the big boys to shove it or pay to haul you in court and they only end up looking bad and it goes nowhere. You said it best, it would be a waste of massive attorney fees for nothing. But, i'm not interested in proposing an idea to closed minds.

Randomdays

Well, that seemed a bit rude. DJ's "disrespect" comment seems well aimed.

Each person's experiences are unique, and what worked for you may not work for others. The character generator is not infringement, but what people do with it could be.

As for stagnation, as said by DJ and Tomato, this game is 20 years old. There are tons of newer games that were wildly popular that are forgotten now, while FF hangs in there. And yet there's still nothing that does what it does. The wealth of content from people over the years, including Tomato and DJ, is enormous. While I can't "create" from scratch, I've learned a bit on what the game can do with characters, rigging, map mapping, fx's, etc, and added what I could to the game to open new possibilities.

Many people have found the game, been active, and have moved on. A twenty year old college kid would now be 40 and have a lot less free time with work and family.

As for closed minds, yours seem to be a bit that way, and you've already made up your mind  that you're right and no one else is.

Bearded and Alex both were working on alternate game platforms to replace FF. Both are enormously talented and had issues with what they were working on. And many of the people who are both gone and are still here DID help with those projects.

Take a look at what they've done, make some (technical) suggestions on how to help, learn unity if you haven't and start your own project. We'll help if we can. I see nothing constructive in your comments though. I don't know either DJ or Tomato very well, but I have respect for them because of their knowledge, and at least they've created items for the game that are well done (if sometimes a little weird) and so far as I've seen, they're  not condescending to others on the forums.

Borgaster

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 01, 2023, 05:14:49 PM
Going to give you a few tips Borgster  because i have seen folks in the past act/sound like you and things always seem to end badly...so this is more a heads up and list of tips to keep you from finding yourself on the wrong side of things even more:

1)  quit disrespectin all the other creators not named Benton gray or Alex, because there are a lot more folks who have done a lot to keep this game going this long.

2) realize that there has been talk over the years of updating/creating a newer version and it always comes down to the fact that irrational/whatever their name is now, still owns full rights to the game and characters. Legally, what we get it what we got...because the question of allowing us to create a newer version has been raised to them before and the answer has always been no.

3) Realize this is a game that is over twenty years old and the community has been around that long too. As time stretches out, a combo of fatigue, real life, other interests, and it getting harder to run the game on newer systems means people have moved on...it happens in all forums/content creations concerning games.

4) concerning another of your posts, tommyboy didn't take down his rsite. He was hosted by catwho who - due to circumstances - had to end the contract with the hosting group. This affected multiple sites - not just tommyboy's - but there is something going on behind the scenes to try and get those river back up. If you had looked at more of the threads on here you would have seen the announcement.

5) acting like you are going to revolutionize everything and be *the next Elon musk" - not even sure those two things nh together but staying out of that - is the absolute wrong way of doing things. Acting like that will make sure that very few to no one will work with you because we have already had our share of folks claiming to be revolutionaries that talk like this - a large portion of them doff up being banned for stepping over the line in how they treat people/how they act/the trouble they bring to the forum.

Just a heads up.

You did not understand, first, you don't read that in other topic that i thanked all creators of the characters and all that created mods for this game. Second, I'm not new in this forum, my nickname that is, because when i returned, i needed to create another nickname because i didn't remember the old one. I never go disrespect the people on this forum. Never ! My problem is with the Modern Marvel and Warner and i'm not the only that think this. I follow on the Youtube a lot of americans that say to people boycott the movies, series and the games of these two companies. I want to have the games for the characters that these two companies threw in the trash. But this game is the better for make this . So, what is the problem to use my money for pay people to make the mods that i want and help us all has more mods for this game ?

Tomato

Except not all of us have the capitol to go to court over c&d. We have lives outside of fr that would be ruined, permanently, by even the opening of a lawsuit.

By your own admissions, the intent is to make an ff sequel. We do not have rights to those characters, which are fully copyrighted. Any attempt to make money off them would open us up to a lawsuit. Period. I don't remember specifics, but those rights are owned by a company content to live off the residuals from steam and others like it.

Creators I trust more than you (Alex, bearded, and others) have reached out. They have shut any attempt at a sequel down.

You want to make a spiritual successor with your own characters? Cool, fine. But until there's a demo, until there's SOMETHING more substantial than "we should do this, for realz" you will have to forgive the older among us who have danced this dance before. I have, no joke, seen this exact sort of thread made by a dozen or so members. You're not pioneers suggesting this. Members have been suggesting this since the concept art for the sequel got released in like 2006.

Frankly, I'm burned out. Especially hearing it from people who just say they'll pay someone with no concept of the work that goes just into a single skin, much less programming a full game. It costs millions in paying staff to do that.

Again, by all means, prove me wrong. But it's one thing to say it, it's another entirely to actually do it.

Borgaster

Quote from: Tomato on January 02, 2023, 03:29:09 AM
Just going to echo what dj said (we've all done this song and dance with making a new game before, unless you have a working demo and proper rights licenses you're jumping off the same cliff ive seen dozens of other creators, with more talent and focus than you, jump off of and it always. Always. ALWAYS goes nowhere.) To say I've got all the cat hosted sites, including tommyboys, ready to re-upload as soon as I get some bills taken care of from a recent move (files which are backed up and which a half dozen members have full access to jic), which should happen around February/March.

You want to improve the game, make mods for it. Make content. Don't do the scammer song and dance of a new installment. It's a pipe dream. One we've all heard a dozen times by now.

Edit: just wanted to add on the additional cold water that I've brought up before: we exist in a technically illegal space. We are able to do what we do because *we do not matter*. The amount disney or wb could squeeze out of the community is not worth the effort. FF is over a decade old, it's not a competition to mua3 or gotham knights or spiderman 2.

FF got made before the explosion of the mcu and superhero films. It could not have been made today. Disney would have taken one look at the open ended character creator and made them close it off. They'd spend whatever money they had to to bury it, because it directly undercuts their games.

As nice as a new game would be, I'm old enough to remember the sea of c&ds marvel flooded us with, pre-disney. A new game would only bring that back, 1000x worse. No thank you.

I just made a joke , sorry if what I had written looks bad, but my intention is to help me and all of us. Again, i never go disrespect the rules , the people and everyone who created anything for this game in this forum or in another place.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Borgaster on January 03, 2023, 09:50:50 PM

I just made a joke , sorry if what I had written looks bad, but my intention is to help me and all of us. Again, i never go disrespect the rules , the people and everyone who created anything for this game in this forum or in another place.

You don't disrespect any one yet you don't have the respect enough to ask people before you go and host their work on your site - points to you putting up Benton's mod without asking first.  If that's not disrespectful, I don't know what is.

Second, the minute you start talking about paying folks to make mods, you run into massive legal troubles because even if you released them freely, the fact someone is making monetary gains using copywritten characters - eps something like Marvel or DC - you open a can of worms. As an artist - both for video games and otherwise - I've seen this happen often with what we call "fan art"....it's a prickly patch that usually ends up with some trouble when money is involved.  Just putting it out there....you want to go do it...fine....was just giving a heads up and trying to be the nicer DJ this time....
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Borgaster

Quote from: Tomato on January 03, 2023, 09:48:57 PM
Except not all of us have the capitol to go to court over c&d. We have lives outside of fr that would be ruined, permanently, by even the opening of a lawsuit.

By your own admissions, the intent is to make an ff sequel. We do not have rights to those characters, which are fully copyrighted. Any attempt to make money off them would open us up to a lawsuit. Period. I don't remember specifics, but those rights are owned by a company content to live off the residuals from steam and others like it.

Creators I trust more than you (Alex, bearded, and others) have reached out. They have shut any attempt at a sequel down.

You want to make a spiritual successor with your own characters? Cool, fine. But until there's a demo, until there's SOMETHING more substantial than "we should do this, for realz" you will have to forgive the older among us who have danced this dance before. I have, no joke, seen this exact sort of thread made by a dozen or so members. You're not pioneers suggesting this. Members have been suggesting this since the concept art for the sequel got released in like 2006.

Frankly, I'm burned out. Especially hearing it from people who just say they'll pay someone with no concept of the work that goes just into a single skin, much less programming a full game. It costs millions in paying staff to do that.

Again, by all means, prove me wrong. But it's one thing to say it, it's another entirely to actually do it.

Tomato, i has the money for make this and you don't know the ideas that i have to create the mods of my dreams. Now, if the people will like it or not, this is another story. I will not do this to sell or earn money.

Borgaster

Quote from: Borgaster on January 03, 2023, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: Tomato on January 03, 2023, 09:48:57 PM

Tomato, i has the money for make this and you don't know the ideas that i have to create the mods of my dreams. Now, if the people will like it or not, this is another story. I will not do this to sell or earn money.

Deaths Jester , In this case, is just you see what i wrote first and if Benton would not have liked, i would have deleted. Benton sent this mod to me in private and the link that him sent for me has the mod posted in another topic of this forum. Ask to him !