Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Help Update the DCUG!

Started by BentonGrey, May 15, 2018, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

Dean those are incredible!!

UnkoMan

I hope this is okay to do, but I had an idea for a pie in the sky request.
If anybody wants to take it on...

I've been doing the fake comic covers for Benton's Aquaman mod. Involved! Turns out I had done a bunch of Atlantean soldiers for him, way back. They were a bit half assed though, and honestly, they are embarrassing to look at now.
I wondered if anybody would want to take a look at the old ones and spruce them up?
This will be a bit image heavy, so I'll do it in spoilers.

First up, average Atlantean soldiers.
Spoiler
Original Skins

New Concept

A bit of an upgrade.
The lower "underwear" part is meant to just be standard fishscale throughout. The end should be fishscale, not a straight cut like that, just as the start under the redder bit is fishscale shaped.
I really disliked that huge blaster I used. Some kind of smaller, slimmer gun would look cool. Possible a harpoon gun? If a harpoon gun, could easily use a smaller version of the spear as the harpoon.
For the spear I pictured something a little ridged, and fishy. It's not a must, it just would be cool. The concept comes from the Atlantis Chronicles comic. Actually, that's the basis of the whole thing.
Shield with cool fish. Fish styled "A" symbol. Even that fish helmet, though I threw on a norse eye protector.
The gun guys have shields, too. Maybe smaller bucklers? Or maybe no shields is better, I dunno. The spear guys should have a larger shield though.
Of note! Their boots do have the standard "Aquaman fins" on the backs. The boot details don't make a difference though. Whatever looks cool.

Materials would be metals for the gold, and the fishscale blue. Maybe blue metal bits on the boots, over top of the other bits? The gloves and upper torso would be that comic book "whatever" material. I'd say... sharkskin? I dunno. Underwater leather.

Next, Atlantean generals.
Spoiler
Original Skin

New Concept

Following the same concept, this is made off the soldiers. Some colours are swapped but material places remain the same. The red shoulderpads and fishscale are metal. The gold is metal.
Thinking it would be cool to give him some kind of "fishbone" like short swords. Just realized the original skin has a single scabbard instead of two? Weird. Forgot a scabbard in the concept.
Actually, might be cool to have a short sword in the free hand and a dagger on the arm with the buckler?
Fish helmet might be the hardest, impossible part. I'm okay with ditching it and keeping the same helmet, but these guys should have some kind of full face covering.
You'll see why with the Piscator concept.

Piscator.
Spoiler
Original Skin

New Concept

Other references

So Piscator ends up being those guys, but a gladiator. His blue should be darker. His "leather" straps, however, should be the same red. A callback to the other designs.
One shoulderpad is removed. The other is enlargened. Or replaced, if you think that's better, but enlarged is easier.
I would LOVE to give him a net in the dagger hand, and just add the dagger to his belt or something, but I don't think that is feasible. I don't know if there are nets. Putting the dagger on his belt and nothing in that hand is dope, too.
He has a trident. The middle end of the trident could be overlayed with the same object used for the sword or spear. A bit of fishbone.
His feet are bare. In the concept it's sandles, but I think just bare feet would make more sense for underwater people. His leg fin is flesh toned, and comes out between straps on his shinguards.
His fishscale underpants should also include a loincloth at least. Or it can look more "skirt" like. Or be one of those roman a bunch of straps of stuff skirt... Hmm, thinking now, a bunch of red leather straps around the sides to back would look cool, in addition to the fishscale skirt.
Anyhow, feel free to "barbarian" him up a bunch. He should use a slightly beefier body. You use a beefy body for Aquaman, right Benton? I'm sure the original body can just be exchanged for that one.

The biggest problem is, obviously, the helmet. Basically it should be a full face covering gladiator style helmet... However, if it ends up being the same as the general's helmet, that's fine. Whatever is cool and EASY. Don't want to strain anybody.
But a gladiator style helmet of some time is best.

Finally we have Xebel soldiers.
Spoiler
Original Skin

New Concept

EDIT

Sorry, I should have done the concept off the same image, but I did these guys first, ha ha.
Anyhow they can come from the same dude. They have metal bracers instead of gloves, and all their metal should look a little dinged up/old, if possible. They should look a bit more slap-dash. Their spears are wooden poles with metal ends tied on.
Actually, this concept pic isn't great, looking at it, because it doesn't show the helmet. There should be a small crest. Well, I will post the "cover" after this and that will have the crest on the helmet.

EDIT: So, I redid the concept, and now it's more along the lines of the others. In fact, you could even use the same ring/straps that are skinned on Piscator on these guys. They have some leather straps under bracers. Those can look like literally anything. The helmets are more simplified than the Atlanteans, and show full face. The pants can retain the boots from the Atlanteans, just in the same colour as the legs, OR they can be straight up legs. Whatver. It's got a bit of that "black but with huge amount of highlights" comic book thing going on.

IF they have shields (should they?) they would need a different picture on it.

So, here's the fake comic cover in question:

There's actually one other character who can be built off the same template, and I just realized I didn't do a concept for him, but I should! So I'll go do that now. He'd be a combo of things from the Xebels and Piscator.
I'll whip up a Xebel concept that matches the others, too.

It's a BIG request, so I understand if nobody is interested. I'd try it myself but it's been so long and I've forgotten how to scope. I also... don't even have FF installed anywhere, ha ha, though I think by the end I had started previewing skins directly in the skoping tool. Nifskope? I can't even remember the name.
Ha ha, okay, thanks for indulging the long post. I'll edit it once the other concepts are made. Take care.

EDIT: King Nereus
Spoiler

He looks just like one of his soldiers, except different colours. Whatever ends up being the "shinguard" for Piscator can be incorporated into his golden boots. Other than that, it's straight Xebel.
If you really want you can go a bit further, I'm just keeping it easy. It's based on this.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/8/87/Nereus_Prime_Earth_001.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150122020421

BentonGrey

Wow Unko, what amazing design work!  I love what you've come up with, and I hope someone will help bring these designs to life for us.

I've got a few thoughts on these, but in general, I really like each of them.  Two overall thoughts before I get into specific notes and comments:  First, I'd prefer each of the soldier/officer designs to have pants of some sort, as the bare-legged look doesn't fit the aesthetic of the other Atlantean characters in the mod, like Ocean Master, Vulko, and of course, Aquaman and Aqualad.  Second, if anyone tackles them, I'd need the skopes built off of male_basic key compatible meshes so that I can keep the custom swimming keys I've got (I've put a LOT of work into them) and adapt the character builds more easily.  I've got the original Atlantean skopes if anyone wants to work from them.  I'd need two versions of the Atlantean soldier and general, one for underwater, the other for on land, with a bubble helmet.  The mod features them underwater and invading the surface world.  I'm currently using CB's Atlantean skopes, with Unko's skins, as my land versions of the troops, and I can provide those as well.

Quote from: UnkoMan on June 27, 2021, 06:39:34 PM
I hope this is okay to do, but I had an idea for a pie in the sky request.
If anybody wants to take it on...

I've been doing the fake comic covers for Benton's Aquaman mod. Involved! Turns out I had done a bunch of Atlantean soldiers for him, way back. They were a bit half assed though, and honestly, they are embarrassing to look at now.
I wondered if anybody would want to take a look at the old ones and spruce them up?
This will be a bit image heavy, so I'll do it in spoilers.

First up, average Atlantean soldiers.
Spoiler
Original Skins

New Concept

A bit of an upgrade.
The lower "underwear" part is meant to just be standard fishscale throughout. The end should be fishscale, not a straight cut like that, just as the start under the redder bit is fishscale shaped.
I really disliked that huge blaster I used. Some kind of smaller, slimmer gun would look cool. Possible a harpoon gun? If a harpoon gun, could easily use a smaller version of the spear as the harpoon.
For the spear I pictured something a little ridged, and fishy. It's not a must, it just would be cool. The concept comes from the Atlantis Chronicles comic. Actually, that's the basis of the whole thing.
Shield with cool fish. Fish styled "A" symbol. Even that fish helmet, though I threw on a norse eye protector.
The gun guys have shields, too. Maybe smaller bucklers? Or maybe no shields is better, I dunno. The spear guys should have a larger shield though.
Of note! Their boots do have the standard "Aquaman fins" on the backs. The boot details don't make a difference though. Whatever looks cool.

Materials would be metals for the gold, and the fishscale blue. Maybe blue metal bits on the boots, over top of the other bits? The gloves and upper torso would be that comic book "whatever" material. I'd say... sharkskin? I dunno. Underwater leather.

I love the aquatic elements of the design!  The helmet in particular looks cool.  Maybe armored sleeves, for a scale-mail shirt under the tunic?  As for the guns, while speargun-type weapons would make sense, I'm going with the hi-tech version of Atlantis, so they've got energy rifles of some description.  That'll be a plot point in the mod when the Scavenger shows up and starts dealing in Atlantean weaponry, like in the N52 Aqua run.

Next, Atlantean generals.
Spoiler
Original Skin

New Concept

Following the same concept, this is made off the soldiers. Some colours are swapped but material places remain the same. The red shoulderpads and fishscale are metal. The gold is metal.
Thinking it would be cool to give him some kind of "fishbone" like short swords. Just realized the original skin has a single scabbard instead of two? Weird. Forgot a scabbard in the concept.
Actually, might be cool to have a short sword in the free hand and a dagger on the arm with the buckler?
Fish helmet might be the hardest, impossible part. I'm okay with ditching it and keeping the same helmet, but these guys should have some kind of full face covering.
You'll see why with the Piscator concept.

Lots of cool elements here.  SA made a version of He-Man's Merman, who I think has a sword like that, which could work.  I like the helmet design, but yeah, that might be tough to match.

Piscator.
Spoiler
Original Skin

New Concept

Other references

So Piscator ends up being those guys, but a gladiator. His blue should be darker. His "leather" straps, however, should be the same red. A callback to the other designs.
One shoulderpad is removed. The other is enlargened. Or replaced, if you think that's better, but enlarged is easier.
I would LOVE to give him a net in the dagger hand, and just add the dagger to his belt or something, but I don't think that is feasible. I don't know if there are nets. Putting the dagger on his belt and nothing in that hand is dope, too.
He has a trident. The middle end of the trident could be overlayed with the same object used for the sword or spear. A bit of fishbone.
His feet are bare. In the concept it's sandles, but I think just bare feet would make more sense for underwater people. His leg fin is flesh toned, and comes out between straps on his shinguards.
His fishscale underpants should also include a loincloth at least. Or it can look more "skirt" like. Or be one of those roman a bunch of straps of stuff skirt... Hmm, thinking now, a bunch of red leather straps around the sides to back would look cool, in addition to the fishscale skirt.
Anyhow, feel free to "barbarian" him up a bunch. He should use a slightly beefier body. You use a beefy body for Aquaman, right Benton? I'm sure the original body can just be exchanged for that one.

The biggest problem is, obviously, the helmet. Basically it should be a full face covering gladiator style helmet... However, if it ends up being the same as the general's helmet, that's fine. Whatever is cool and EASY. Don't want to strain anybody.
But a gladiator style helmet of some time is best.

Man, I love the two helmet designs on the bottom guys!  Lots of really neat elements here too.  So, this one departs pretty far from the design you made, which I already quite liked, but the change is really intriguing.  My concept for Piscator is that he's a former Atlantean soldier exiled for his crimes and having taken service with surface villains.  That could work with the gladiator design, but having some elements that hearken back to the soldiers would make design sense.  In terms of weaponry, I don't believe a net would work without a new mesh with new animations, but if he's got an empty hand, it would be an easy thing to give him a net ranged attack using the net FX.  I think I like the trident for the dominant weapon.  This design makes me want to do a mission with a savage tribe living on the seafloor, with the Aqua-team forced to fight in a gladiatorial match...haha, but I've got too much to do already!  Stop giving me cool ideas!  :D

Finally we have Xebel soldiers.
Spoiler
Original Skin

New Concept

EDIT

Sorry, I should have done the concept off the same image, but I did these guys first, ha ha.
Anyhow they can come from the same dude. They have metal bracers instead of gloves, and all their metal should look a little dinged up/old, if possible. They should look a bit more slap-dash. Their spears are wooden poles with metal ends tied on.
Actually, this concept pic isn't great, looking at it, because it doesn't show the helmet. There should be a small crest. Well, I will post the "cover" after this and that will have the crest on the helmet.

EDIT: So, I redid the concept, and now it's more along the lines of the others. In fact, you could even use the same ring/straps that are skinned on Piscator on these guys. They have some leather straps under bracers. Those can look like literally anything. The helmets are more simplified than the Atlanteans, and show full face. The pants can retain the boots from the Atlanteans, just in the same colour as the legs, OR they can be straight up legs. Whatver. It's got a bit of that "black but with huge amount of highlights" comic book thing going on.

IF they have shields (should they?) they would need a different picture on it.

I think this design is pretty excellent and have little to add, but let me say this for the record: I love JJ's original skin/skope and am not trying to replace it.  I don't want folks to think I'm ungrateful.  However, if someone wants to tackle Unko's design, I'll use them too.  :)  One thought about the design, my concept of Xebel is a bit different than the N52 version.  The comic version is former Atlantean prison colony, a culture that survives by scavenging ship wrecks.  Mine is instead a former colony that rebelled and was cut off from the main dimension because of that, so they wouldn't necessarily be as ragged or 'scrap' themed as the comic Xebellians.  This doesn't affect the design much, expect perhaps in the dullness/wear of the metal.

EDIT: King Nereus
Spoiler

He looks just like one of his soldiers, except different colours. Whatever ends up being the "shinguard" for Piscator can be incorporated into his golden boots. Other than that, it's straight Xebel.
If you really want you can go a bit further, I'm just keeping it easy. It's based on this.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/8/87/Nereus_Prime_Earth_001.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150122020421

Good design here too.  I think maybe I'd like the addition of a helmet?  His comic design always seemed lacking in that area.  Now, while I've got assets already for everything else, I do need Nereus specifically to be made.  I don't have him yet, and he features in the campaign.  I'd welcome seeing any of these made, but I'll add an official DCUG request for Nereus.

I love that cover!  It's fantastic!  Y'all, I can't wait to show off all the amazing work Unko is doing for the mod!  As I preview new missions, I'll be previewing his covers too.

QuoteIt's a BIG request, so I understand if nobody is interested. I'd try it myself but it's been so long and I've forgotten how to scope. I also... don't even have FF installed anywhere, ha ha, though I think by the end I had started previewing skins directly in the skoping tool. Nifskope? I can't even remember the name.
Ha ha, okay, thanks for indulging the long post. I'll edit it once the other concepts are made. Take care.

No pressure at all, Unko, but if you're interested in tackling any of these, I'm happy to offer what limited help I can in getting you back up to speed on skoping.  And yes, Nifskope is the program. 

Either way, I do hope that these will get made, as they are awesome designs, and I'd love to be able to feature them in the mod!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

UnkoMan

Oh no, my mistake. I didn't mean to step on anybody's toes. I assumed I must have made that skin, too!
I apologize.

Here are updated pictures of the covered soldiers. Actually, looks pretty cool. Think I like it more?

Spoiler

Again, these are just concepts. If anybody DOES do them, feel free to go wherever you want with it. That cover I posted WILL be changing, so you don't need to stick to anything.
I just figured, since I was already doing this... Plus, I am genuinely embarrassed by my old designs, ha ha ha.

As for the laser cannon... how about it if was just a thinner gun than that huge blaster? I dunno, I just don't feel like it fits.
But again, whatever happens happens. I'm not married to anything.

BentonGrey

No worries at all, Unko!  I just didn't want JJ to stop by and wonder why I was requesting for someone to redo his work.   :)

They look great!  As for the guns, that's completely fine.  They just need to look 'techy' in some fashion.  I'm super flexible on design.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

deanjo2000

This is just tinkering at the moment but i found a good gren mesh with a net so wanted to try it out.
Still lots to do and things i want to change but so far so good.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

UnkoMan

Whaaaaattt?? Incredible!!
Wow, that's amazing.

deanjo2000

Little bit more done.
Still lots to do.

spydermann93

That looks rad as hell, DJ!

Also, wonderful designs, Unko! Those look cool!

BentonGrey

Wow, amazing work, Dean!  That's really cool!  He's coming together extremely well.  What's the base mesh with the net?
God Bless

deanjo2000

BentonGrey

Hmm, I don't have that one.  Interesting!

Hey guys, here's a new one that I really need some help with.  I need a fairly simple skin for a vehicle/prop for several Aquaman missions, specifically, the trademark ship of his nemesis, Black Manta.  RD has gotten me a nice object to serve as the basis of the Manta Sub, and I've skoped it a bit, but I need a simple-ish black, tech-y looking skin for it, with maybe a window design on the front of it.  Anyone willing to help me out?

God Bless

deanjo2000

Send it to me and I'll see what I can do :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Thanks Dean!  That's awesome!
God Bless

BentonGrey

Hey, has anyone ever created a rally FX for DC's Atlantis?

I've skoped a simple tweak of the regular rallly FX which I think will work, if anyone will make me a texture of an Atlantean banner.

And here's another one, guys.  I am looking for some type of object that can serve me as an ancient Atlantean portal.  Preferably, this is something I can slap a rocky texture on and which will look vaguely portal-ish.  I'm looking for something I can make vaguely like this:

Think rocky stargate.  Any suggestions?
God Bless

BentonGrey

I think that second one would work really well!  Having it open actually fits with what I've got planned for the mission logistics.
God Bless

deanjo2000

I bet nobody would of thought they'd open this thread to the dreaded manta men :lol:
I found these guys whilst researching black manta's henchmen, they are just a bit of fun really, im shocked i managed to get them looking half decent to be honest with their weird bodys.

The only thing is the armwings are meant to be black on the back but you cant skin the front and back differently, any other wings out there that can be done?

oktokels

never thought i'd ever see those in mesh form  :blink: :blink:
incredible work

BentonGrey

Hahaha!  Wow!  The cartoon Mantamen, I love it!  They look fantastic!
God Bless

Randomdays

Dean, The Manta Men are looking great! I think I can help with the wings in Blender - similar to how capes have different front and backs. Send one my way if you want and I'll look at it,

Benton - I'm still down, but since Blender and nifscope are on my C drive, I can still do a few things. I'll try to get your gate to you this weekend.

RD

BentonGrey

Awesome, thanks RD!  That would be great!
God Bless

UnkoMan

Dean, that's crazy, for real!
RD already suggested but I was going to just say maybe you could double up the wing element and offset them, giving the second one a different texture name?
It was just a random though. But seems like RD got you covered.

Anyhow, so cool!

Randomdays

Dean, could not pm you back - your box is full!

Got your second email and I'm checking it out, but read your email on what happened when I downloaded it.

RD

deanjo2000

Randomdays

Hey Dean

Still having issues with PM for some reason.

The manta man as it is causes a python error in Blender and won't load. I'll try to isolate the wings out as a separate nif in nifskope and see if that works.

In the meantime, not sure what your base for the wings was, but here's a few other characters that have "underwings" that you might want to check - most have multiple nifs done by various people, and I already found a few on Alex and Tommyboy's sites.

Black Bolt, Scrull Black Bolt and Black Condor. Maybe Batman Beyond.

RD

deanjo2000

I've tried unko's suggestion and I think it's worked :thumbup:

Randomdays

Great - that's what I would have tried if I could have loaded it. Glad you're able to get it to work.

RD

deanjo2000

Thank you though, I do appreciate it :thumbup:

Im sure you requested King Nereus but i cant find the request now :blink:, either way he's here :thumbup:

Also just because im on a roll and before i have a burn out.
The Trench.

Not really movie or comic accurate but still a fishy monster :lol:

deanjo2000

Im pretty sure you already have a vulko, but i did this comic version if its any good to you.