Mutants & Masterminds - The Hunt for the Progenitor

Started by Reepicheep, February 02, 2018, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaths Jester

Spoiler
There should be enough seperation between WC and LB to allow you an attack, Cat. Am unsure though, Reep? And it's up to you if you want to too.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Reepicheep

Spoiler
sirry, DJ. Will try and remember evasion for next time.

I'd say if two people in the final code box of each post have identical locations, they're both at risk. Larger area effects might broaden that to 'southern half' 'northern half', and increase from there.

And yes. I take full responsibility for the area effect.

An outside perspective would wonder if I did that on purpose.

((I actually need to spend a day or so refining all the character sheets in leu of what I've learned here after this scene. Even just the way they're laid out isn't helpful.))

Deaths Jester

Spoiler
You want a versions of just M&M's character sheets in fillable pdf form, Reep? I got one if you want it. As for rejiggering, once we finish this scenerion I'll Pm you my changes to WC...they aren't as major as the rest (mainly just slight skill point changes) and some of the things I Pmed you about earlier have since changed.

UnkoMan

Having safely hidden, the queen ant sees the rat/man attacked from multiple sources. Feeling strangely emboldened by this display she tries to get her colony close, tries to get them to swarm the creature's legs, so he cannot escape so easily.
The queen feels the vibrations in the air change as well, and wonders what could be the source of it. It isn't natural, and seems to her like something to stop if possible.

Spoiler
So, am I allowed to look for the source of vibrations, if possible, while doing that other stuff? I'm uncertain how much entirely my character knows about them, but to her they seem like a bad thing right now. Unknown factors are bad things.

Reepicheep

Wild Card

Dodge Defence 19 vs Deck of Cards 13 + (d20 = 11)
Wild Card: Successful hit to one degree
Deal a Hand DC22 vs Toughness 6 - 1 + (d20 = 20)
Lab Rat: Resisted ((Seriously, I'm not pulling any tricks here. The guy keeps rolling 20s.))

As soon as the kinetic motions in the air subside, you waste no time flicking three more cards at the rat man. He snarls, now on his feet. His clawed hand swipes the air with bestial speed. His arm takes the brunt of the force. The cards scratch his flesh, but fall to the ground. His eyes are now fixed on you, the humanity in his glare now snuffed out by the animal that has taken over.

Lab Rat
Parry Defence 16 vs Claws 7 + (d20 = 20)
((SERIOUSLY. THIS GUY.))
Lab Rat: Critical Hit!
Toxic Claws Damage DC20 + 5 vs Toughness 6 + (d20 = 13)
Wild Card: Failure to two degrees. -1 Resistance penalty, Dazed.
Toxic Claws Affliction D13 + 5 vs Fortitude 5 + (d20 = 7)
Wild Card: Failure to two degrees. Exhausted.
Lab Rat: No longer Dazed

He charges forwards, zeroed in on Wild Card. In the same, feral motion, before Wild Card could move, the rat man's claw swipes furiously through the air and then into the flank of his attacker. His claws might have sunk even deeper, were he not grabbed by the legs by a truckload of ants, yanking him back midair like a yoyo.

Wild Card
You were hit pretty bad. Dizzyingly so. It doesn't help that when you look down, you see that the scratch mark had already discoloured your skin. You aren't sure if it's those diseased claws or the impact of the blow, but the room feels like its in motion. Any attempt to focus and it only spins harder.

Queen Ant

Spoiler
Since we do know that Lab Rat has no problem being tripped up, I'm going to 'interpret' your attack as a grab.

Looking around is more or less a free action, so I'll let you have it.

Perception 5 + (d20 = 17) vs Stealth 9 + (d20 = 11)
Surprise attack fails.

Parry Defence 15 vs Grab 11 + (d20 = 20)
Queen Ant: Critical Hit!
Grab DC11 + 5 vs Dodge 9 - 5 + (d20 = 5)
Lab Rat: Defenceless, Immobile, Impaired.

Presence -2 + (d20 = 17) vs Insight 12 + (d20 = 16)
Queen Ant: Success to three degrees

Your ants reassemble in an inky, black puddle in the path of the rat man. Just as he pounces into the air, so do you. The ants spring upwards, catching the rat by the legs and whipping him back through the air the way he came. You encircle and envelop him, held in place in a rock solid grip. He struggles, but before long his arms and legs are both bound. By ants.

You realise that within your grasp is the source of the vibrations. They become more frantic now.

Spoiler
I'd forgotten to add the surprise attack check on my first post of this. A successful surprise attack would have put Lab Rat in a vulnerable position where he wouldn't be able to use his whole defence score against your attacks, then have more penalties inflicted on him until his next turn. But he lost the attempt to escape anyway, thanks to the critical hit.

Bill Morgan

All allies receive +2 to all checks this round.

The music resonates through the room. Neither Queen Ant, inhuman though she may be, nor the dizzied Wild Card can ignore it. The resonance does more than just uplifts them; it galvanises them.

Hazard

DC12 vs Fortitude 5 - 1 + 2 (d20 = 13)
Wild Card: Resisted
Queen Ant: Immune
DC12 vs Fortitude 3 + (d20 = 19)
Bill Morgan: Resisted

Lab Rat: Damage: -1 Resistance Penalty | Status: Defenceless, Immobile, Impaired | Grabbed in the southern half of the laboratory.
Bill Morgan: Circumstance: Weakened Stamina -1 | Western wall of the laboratory.
Queen Ant: Damage: -1 Resistance Penalty | Circumstance: -2 Move Penalty. +2 all checks | Southern half of the laboratory.
Wild Card: Damage: -1 Resistance Penalty | Status: Dazed, Exhausted | Circumstance: +2 all checks | Southern half of the laboratory.

Deaths Jester

Spoiler
That does it! I want a new pair of ACTUAL, not computer, dice!

Wild Card stands there, sucking wind and holding his bleeding wounds. He grimaces slightly followed by a shout filled with anger, strong Russian words, and the phrase "If I'm going down, I'm taking your hairy arse with me, Ratboy!"

With that he lashes out with a kick aimed at Lab Rat's knee.

Spoiler
Wish I had a hero point now! And WE NEED NEW DICE!!!

Edit: Forget the recovery action, WC and I are ticked now.

GOING FOR A TRIP!! Use Ratboy's Athletics for his defense thanks to my Improved trip and I'll use my Acrobatics!! Sorry about the constant changes, this is my last.

UnkoMan

As the creature struggles under the weight of the queen's colony, the vibrations go wild causing her ants to ripple. She realizes he is where they are coming from. Either this man, like Bill, is causing them himself or, more likely, the object he holds.
Either way, he seems to treasure it above all else.
The queen directs some of her ants to secrete acid on his hand, in an effort to get him to drop the glowing object.

Spoiler
So, I don't know exactly how this works but finally going in for the acid attack. It's a multiattack but I'll obviously be shooting it all at him. I also don't know how ranged/melee works in this game, or if specific body parts can be targeted like this.
I saw some rules for Smash? Was it Smash? A move to knock an object from the hands of somebody holding them, but I can't seem to see them now. Is that the only way to get somebody to drop something?

Deaths Jester

Spoiler
The action you're thinking about is Disarm (second page of the action and maneuvers), Unko. You'd normally have a -2 to such an attack (only 2 because you'd be using close combat) but thanks to Bill's Inspire, you'd do it without said penalty). If the attack succeeds, we end up making an oppossing roll between your damage vs the NPC's STR. If you win, the NPC drops the object. If you make the disarm unarmed, you can grab the object as a free action.