News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Favorite Incarnation of Batman

Started by kkhohoho, August 23, 2015, 05:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

This  one is a bit more complicated. Rather than dealing with different characters who have shared a particular identity, this is about the same character who has been through some wildly different incarnations over the years, and which is your favorite. Rather than offer a specific list of options, I'll just let you choose whichever incarnation comes to mind, seeing as I'm not as familiar with Batman as some people.

Anyway, my favorite incarnation of Batman is how he was portrayed in the Bronze Age, (70's and early 80's,) which incidentally is what the TAS Batman was based off of. He was serious, but not brooding; determined, but not ruthless; calculating, but not sociopathic. This was a Batman that was the perfect median between the lighter takes from the 50's and 60', and the darker incarnations to come. It's easy to see not only why the TAS Batman was based off of that incarnation, but why the TAS version is still considered one of the definite takes, and it owes that original portrayal of the comics from that time.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Its a bit harder to split into ages.I guess DKR to Knightfall would be the one that inspired most adaptations.After Knightfall Batman varies from being softer then before to being more violent then Azrael.
Knightfall contains probably one of the most iconic Batman moments,During their final confrontation,after failing to defeat him in battle,Bruce talks Azrael into a psychotic breakdown.And then offers him help.And thats Batman.If he cant beat somebody,he will outthink them.But he also has mercy to give to those who deserve it.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Batman the Animated Series.  Conversation over.  ;)

It really is the perfect interpretation of Batman, and the Bronze Age stories its largely drawn from are number 2 for me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 18, 2015, 02:52:41 PM
Batman the Animated Series.  Conversation over.  ;)

It really is the perfect interpretation of Batman, and the Bronze Age stories its largely drawn from are number 2 for me.

I think we can all agree on that.
I have to mention it.After Knightfall Doug Moench and Kelley Jones took over.It was really weird,but it fleshes out Bruce Wayne,Harvey Bullock and the city itself.Also introduced Vesper Fairchild.In general it does a great job with the supporting elements.
And if you liked BTAS,you will love Paul Dinis run on Detective comics.He even manages to make Hush a respectable villain in Heart of Hush.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

And also from Paul Dini-Streets of Gotham.Its important because it explains the "economy" of Batman stories.Why are there so many abandoned amusment parks?Who makes gadgets and traps for the villains?How do they recruit mooks?
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

That sounds like fun, Spade.  :)

My problem with reading modern (post 80s or so) DC books, especially Bat books, is that they exist in a world far too marred by bad continuity.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

I preferred the Batman from the '70s. He was more serious than the version from the late 50s into the 60s, but not as gritty and humorless as he has been portrayed in recent times. That doesn't mean I haven't like the animated versions...

HarryTrotter

@Benton Thats the problem with a shared universe.But in this case,thats shouldnt stop you from checking out Paul Dinis work on Detective comics and Streets of Gotham.Its really good.He just kinda gets Batman.Hes not a noir avenger or BatGod,here hes THE Detective.
Jon Farmer