News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Favorite Justice League

Started by kkhohoho, August 17, 2015, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Favorite Incarnation of the League?

Original League&Satellite Era (1960-1983)
8 (61.5%)
Justice League Detroit (1983-1987)
0 (0%)
Justice League International (1987-1994)
1 (7.7%)
Post Zero Hour League (1994-1996)
0 (0%)
JLA (1996-2005)
4 (30.8%)
Post Infinite Crisis Leagues (2006-2011)
0 (0%)
Nu 52 League (2011-Present)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

kkhohoho

This time, we're switching gears a bit. Rather dealing with just one single character, we're voting for a team: The Justice League. Specifically, which incarnation of the League is your favorite? Now, some era's of the League have different groups of Leaguers operating in tandem, such as Justice League Europe and later Justice League Taskforce in the JLI era. You're free to include these extra Leagues along with the 'main' League of the era if you want, though you don't have to.

For me, it's the JLI. Rather than just teaming up DC's most popular characters and leaving little room for character development in the JL book itself, most of the JLI's characters didn't have their own books at the time, especially later on, which meant that most of the characters got developed or focused on right in the JLI book itself rather than being split off into who knows how many different titles. This also meant that JLI had a lot more freedom to do whatever it wanted to do, making for a more enjoyable book. It was also freaking hilarious, at least under Giffen and/or DeMattias, and while that might be an issue with some people, I didn't mind it a bit. I still respect the Satellite and Morrison Leagues, but to me, this was a League that was actually created with being an enjoyable, readable team in mind, rather than just getting together 'the best of the best,' and so for me at least, the JLI's by far my favorite League.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Podmark

For me it has to be the Morrison era.
I haven't really read anything earlier than that, nor do I know that much about them, but the Morrison era I read through trades and really enjoyed them. There hasn't really been a League run since that I've found comparable. I liked the team, I liked the extended team, the art was decent, and the stories were interesting.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

BentonGrey

Well, I'm sure my choice will surprise no-one.  I picked the Satellite Era League.  It is, for my money, the best superhero team in comics history.  It's a great cast of characters, a cool setting, and a genre defining turn on the superteam concept with their space headquarters and universe spanning adventures.

I agree that the Morrison stories are probably the best JLA stories that have been told, but the characters aren't as likable to me and the setting of the wider DCU is far too ugly a place at that point for my taste.  What I'd like is what we should have gotten with the New 52, a reboot with the original team that took their best adventures from their original and from Morrison's run into an all-star version of a book.  Ahh well, I guess that's why I have the DCUG. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Kenn

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 18, 2015, 11:01:16 PMWell, I'm sure my choice will surprise no-one.  I picked the Satellite Era League.  It is, for my money, the best superhero team in comics history.  It's a great cast of characters, a cool setting, and a genre defining turn on the superteam concept with their space headquarters and universe spanning adventures.

I agree that the Morrison stories are probably the best JLA stories that have been told, but the characters aren't as likable

AMEN!!!

(Though, 139b-146 & 149-150 of the original series is pretty darn awesome  That whole saga should be collected in a single volume.)
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.