Suicide Squad - The movie

Started by thalaw2, December 03, 2014, 03:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 03, 2016, 05:03:34 AM
*sigh*

You know, the Squad is grim at times and gritty at times, but it also has some good humor and some real human drama.  I couldn't expect something like that from these people, though.

To be fair, Benton, the Suicide Squad film has a very different creative team than Batman v. Superman, so I'm still holding out some hope.

BentonGrey

I have zero hope that the empty suits pulling the strings at WB could find their rear-ends with both hands and a road map, much less make wise decisions about these movies.  To succeed as films, comic book movies need folks at the helm who are either heavily invested in the characters (Joss Whedon) or perfect for the tone and themes (Sir Kenneth Branagh).  I'll be astonished if they can muster the latter, and I'm quite sure they can't muster the former.

Still, Suicide Squad has a better chance of being what it is supposed to be than anything else they're doing, even though everything I've seen indicates that the main characters aren't going to resemble their comic counterparts much at all.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I didnt like the costumes here,but Im willing to give DCeU another shot.Maybe third time is the charm?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 04, 2016, 04:42:05 AM
I have zero hope that the empty suits pulling the strings at WB could find their rear-ends with both hands and a road map, much less make wise decisions about these movies.  To succeed as films, comic book movies need folks at the helm who are either heavily invested in the characters (Joss Whedon) or perfect for the tone and themes (Sir Kenneth Branagh).  I'll be astonished if they can muster the latter, and I'm quite sure they can't muster the former.

Still, Suicide Squad has a better chance of being what it is supposed to be than anything else they're doing, even though everything I've seen indicates that the main characters aren't going to resemble their comic counterparts much at all.

You may turn out to be very right indeed, but I think the DC movie universe, without a strong person overseeing it in its entirety, like Kevin Feige at Marvel, may end up very hit and miss (maybe more misses than hits).  Individual movies may still be good, but it'll be luck of the draw.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Midnite on April 11, 2016, 03:51:58 PM
Suicide Squad - Blitz Trailer [HD]
Now they went for a more relaxed GotG-style approach.It just might work.
Whole pitch at the beginning comes down to: Have you guys read Irredeemable?Well,we dont want that to happen.  :)
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Well, reviews are coming in on Suicide Squad and they are...not great as a whole.  37% at Rotten Tomatoes, 48 at Metacritic.  It's too bad; I had hoped Warner Bros was going to be able to turn things around with this one, but it sounds like the film itself is too conflicted about what it wants to be.

kkhohoho

As a big fan of the Ostrander run, all I've gotta' say is: This makes me sad. :(
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

And strike three for DC movies...
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

It's almost as if trying to build a cinematic universe without any semblance of a plan and by willfully ignoring pretty much everything important about your source material is a bad idea...
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Well,they also ignored the lessons from their own tv shows.And made some odd casting choices.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

To quote the illustrious Doom Guy:

"THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!!!"

Talavar

In "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" news, a petition has been started to get Rotten Tomatoes shut down, as, in the creator's own words: "We need this site to be shut down because It's Critics always give The DC Extended Universe movies unjust Bad Reviews, Like 1- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2016 2- Suicide Squad 2016 and that Affects people's opinion even if it's a really great movies [sic]."

Amazing.

HarryTrotter

^By that logic,everything except CBR should be shut down.Because you know,CBR...
And to be fair,few reviews I saw were more mixed then outright bad.Some things like Amanda Waller,Rick Flag,Harley and Will Smith seem to be well recieved.And thats kinda where it ends.Then there is pretty much everything else.Thats just what I read,thou.And zombies?Really?
Jon Farmer

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Talavar on August 03, 2016, 04:59:42 PM
In "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" news, a petition has been started to get Rotten Tomatoes shut down, as, in the creator's own words: "We need this site to be shut down because It's Critics always give The DC Extended Universe movies unjust Bad Reviews, Like 1- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2016 2- Suicide Squad 2016 and that Affects people's opinion even if it's a really great movies [sic]."

Amazing.

Holy Run-on Sentences, Batman!  :o

Yet another example of poor punctuation, spelling, and/or grammar taking away much-needed credibility of a written statement.  Because this idea needs all the credibility it can get.  I'm surprised there wasn't any demands of needing trigger warnings in the "bad reviews".
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Silver Shocker

Which of course reminds me of this image:

The petition thing's pretty dumb, but other than that, eh. I'm not that worried about the negative reviews because I've enjoyed plenty of movies that got bad reviews (I still don't agree with the reception for X-Men: Apocalypse for example), and an online reviewer I trust gave a very positive review of the film. So speaking strictly for myself, there's a decent change that I and the people I watch movies with will enjoy when we do see it. It does kinda suck that this is another stumble in DC's attempt to recreate the Marvel magic, but to honest, at this rate, I'm not sure they ever will, short of a reboot years down the line and different talent at the helm. It is weirdly ironic, though, since DC had some of the most well-known superheroes (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman), and at least Batman had a good track record with movies that had paved the way for lots of other movies.

On a related note, I recently saw Batman V Superman, and while I didn't think it was great or anything, Batflick was really good in the role, as was Jeremy Irons as Alfred; I'm still very much down for a solo Batman movie directed by Affleck.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Strangly,I hear that the Ultimate Edition of BvS was a lot better.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I've heard that too. Mind you, I think some of the people who say that are people who enjoyed the main film to begin with. At least, that's the case for some regulars at my local comic book store.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

trebean

Ostrander posted an update on his Facebook Page, he liked it. I might give it a chance now.

stumpy

Seems like a mostly meaningless and utterly toothless petition isn't likely to do much other than draw more attention to Rotten Tomatoes, which is probably not what the petitioner would be hoping for. But, that's sort of a running theme of those petitions, so... mission accomplished?

I might see the movie this weekend, depending primarily on whether the timing fits in with checking out a new restaurant in the area. I have found that going in with low expectations has been a good practice with Snyder's DC movies so far. We'll see.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Midnite

Quote from: stumpy on August 06, 2016, 05:27:35 AM
Seems like a mostly meaningless and utterly toothless petition isn't likely to do much other than draw more attention to Rotten Tomatoes, which is probably not what the petitioner would be hoping for. But, that's sort of a running theme of those petitions, so... mission accomplished?

I might see the movie this weekend, depending primarily on whether the timing fits in with checking out a new restaurant in the area. I have found that going in with low expectations has been a good practice with Snyder's DC movies so far. We'll see.

The sad and funny part is that WarnerBros is a partial owner of RT.  :doh:

I wish the WB Execs had more faith with Ayer's cut.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

Even with the butchered editing, the movie is tracking to make 140M this weekend. The general audience love it apparently, I will be going tonight.  :D

QuoteIn regards to the critical and audience reception for Suicide Squad, it's still up in the air how much mileage this DC feature property has. In relation to its $166M opening, BvS had a two multiple when it finaled domestic with $330.36M (just $2.8M short of overtaking Guardians of the Galaxy stateside). One non-Warner Bros. distribution suit waves off the negative reviews for Suicide Squad, predicting "In its first week, it's going to make $230M to $250M!" This is further bolstered by the fact that CinemaScore crowds under 35 gave Suicide Squad an A-, while 76% females gave it an A-. The pic also earned an A with the under 18 demo (28%).

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-weekend-box-office-opening-will-smith-margot-robbie-1201799046/

trebean

Quote from: Midnite on August 06, 2016, 02:41:45 PM
Quote from: stumpy on August 06, 2016, 05:27:35 AM

The sad and funny part is that WarnerBros is a partial owner of RT.  :doh:

I wish the WB Execs had more faith with Ayer's cut.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

Even with the butchered editing, the movie is tracking to make 140M this weekend. The general audience love it apparently, I will be going tonight.  :D

QuoteIn regards to the critical and audience reception for Suicide Squad, it's still up in the air how much mileage this DC feature property has. In relation to its $166M opening, BvS had a two multiple when it finaled domestic with $330.36M (just $2.8M short of overtaking Guardians of the Galaxy stateside). One non-Warner Bros. distribution suit waves off the negative reviews for Suicide Squad, predicting "In its first week, it's going to make $230M to $250M!" This is further bolstered by the fact that CinemaScore crowds under 35 gave Suicide Squad an A-, while 76% females gave it an A-. The pic also earned an A with the under 18 demo (28%).

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-weekend-box-office-opening-will-smith-margot-robbie-1201799046/
At least Ayer is taking it fairly well. I mean, Trank shelled out tons of excuses for why people didn't like Fantastic 4. Ayer seems to own up that this is HIS vision from what his tweets show.

Talavar

Unlike the recent Fantastic Four however, Suicide Squad looks like it's at least going to be financially successful.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's on track to hit 140 million this weekend, which is at the upper end of their projections. I'm also seeing lots of lists of good moments and good characterizations, so it doesn't sound like it's nearly as bad as the reviews suggest, and even many of the reviews considered the first half of the movie to be pretty good.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

spydermann93

I felt that the second half was better than the first. The first half felt really jumbled.

Tomato

So I was a bit hesitant to see this one, so I watched a bit of it off a camrip... not the whole thing, but enough to know this one's worth seeing in theaters, at least for me. I've made no secret of my dislike for the tone the recent DCU movies have taken, but in this case, the darker tone actually works to the film's benefit rather than its detriment. This is a movie about villains, and it feels like it.

Is it perfect? Heck no. The pacing in the early scenes is jumbled and messy, as they're desperately trying to get everyone introduced in a short time frame. But even what I've seen puts it better than some of the worst of the Marvel Studios movies, and that's still a pretty high bar to clear for me.

HarryTrotter

Well,the movie wasnt bad,but it wasnt all that great either.IDK,you see it and you move on with your life.
Jon Farmer

skyflyerjen

My opinion sounds like a popular one: it was alright.  It really did feel jumbled and like the above poster mentioned, they're trying to fit a lot of characters into one movie.  I kind of thought it'd be funnier too.

stumpy

Took part of the afternoon off and saw this today. I generally enjoyed it. I agree with the earlier assessments about the movie trying to shoehorn quite a bit into the allotted time.

A couple quick comments:
Spoiler
I was surprised how many Joker-related scenes there were.

Captain Boomerang was sort of wasted in this movie. Not that he should be a lead or anything. But, aside from being a minor agitator within the group, he served no purpose and didn't display any particularly useful or unique abilities that explain why Waller would especially want him on the team.

Amanda Waller was played as  pretty evil. I know that it's realistic to portray her as someone who rationalizes her actions as serving some positive goal. But, they didn't really pull any punches. Which is probably the right tone for the character and for the movie, but I am not used to seeing that in these comic book-based movies.

The end credits Easter egg seemed somewhat poorly motivated. Bruce Wayne already has information on the metahumans and we saw that in B v. S. I don't really see him cutting a deal to hide Waller's culpability from what happened in Suicide Squad in order to get information that the World's Greatest Detective either already has or could certainly get on his own.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg