Suicide Squad - The movie

Started by thalaw2, December 03, 2014, 03:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

Well, if he had trunks, then what would be preventing the joker from making a joke about......

................. Getting caught with his pants down.

#IllBeHereAllWeek

JeyNyce

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on May 29, 2015, 08:05:26 PM
Well, if he had trunks, then what would be preventing the joker from making a joke about......

................. Getting caught with his pants down.

#IllBeHereAllWeek

:banghead:
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on May 19, 2015, 04:53:52 PM
Guys, can we set the Harley discussion aside and talk about the REAL travesty in costume here? Joker wearing the stupid white suit from tdkr. The Joker without color in his attire irritates the heck out of me.

In all honesty, I don't mind the white suit. It's a change of pace for the live action medium, it discourages Ledger comparisons (which I'm sure they want to do to begin with), and personally I really enjoyed Micheal Emerson's version of the character in the animated DKR, so I'm kinda pro-white suit at this point.

Not disagreeing with you on the importance of Joker's purple and green though, but here's a different point of view. While re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist, I read a comment from the creator re: a charismatic villain who wore a white suit. They said that there's something about a guy in a white suit that just makes him seem sleazy. I just thought that was a interesting way to look at it.

I also expect Joker will be in captivity for most of the movie, Hannibal Lector style, so it might make more sense then.

As for Batman, I think it's really cool that he's going to be in it. Reminds me of Assault on Arkham, and I imagine his presence will help sell movie tickets (and I also expect they'll make a point to show him in the trailers and tv spots. They did the same thing for Downey Jr. in Incredible Hulk)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Midnite

SDCC Suicide Squad leaked teaser.

Edit: new link, don't know how long its going to last.

https://vid.me/NHC9

Midnite

bat1987

Still not sold on Will Smith as deadshot. Margot Robbie seems really good from what i can tell. Joker is creepy, def seems closer to comics in behaviour than DK version. Could have gone without the tattoos and those teeth thugh. All in all you don' get to see much, but I liked it.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: bat1987 on July 14, 2015, 07:58:37 AM
Still not sold on Will Smith as deadshot. Margot Robbie seems really good from what i can tell. Joker is creepy, def seems closer to comics in behaviour than DK version. Could have gone without the tattoos and those teeth thugh. All in all you don' get to see much, but I liked it.

Yeah.  You know I thought it could something that could be overlooked.  I mean we've hardly seen Deadshot  given that much character in life.  But everytime I hear his voice, see him hugging anyone(let alone a child), and hear "let's go save the world", I'm like WTH??  It's Will Smith and the Suicide Squad.  Not even Deadshot.  Will Smith and the Suicide Squad.  Will Smith isn't coming off as a criminal, a bad guy or killer.  He's... likable.  Will Smith is likable.  Never pictured Deadshot as likable.

JeyNyce

I really didn't consider Deadshot likable either until I saw Assault on Arkham.  He was a jerk, but he was a jerk with a kid and that kinda made him likable.

HarryTrotter

Deadshot is likable.Secret Six anyone?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

There was also Christos Gage's Deadshot miniseries, which focused on his relationship with his daughter and her mother and made him more relatable.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on July 16, 2015, 02:09:54 PM
There was also Christos Gage's Deadshot miniseries, which focused on his relationship with his daughter and her mother and made him more relatable.

Oh yeah,Bulletproof.Also,good.  :thumbup:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on July 16, 2015, 07:04:39 AM
Yeah.  You know I thought it could something that could be overlooked.  I mean we've hardly seen Deadshot  given that much character in life.  But everytime I hear his voice, see him hugging anyone(let alone a child), and hear "let's go save the world", I'm like WTH??  It's Will Smith and the Suicide Squad.  Not even Deadshot.  Will Smith and the Suicide Squad.  Will Smith isn't coming off as a criminal, a bad guy or killer.  He's... likable.  Will Smith is likable.  Never pictured Deadshot as likable.
On the topic of Will Smith, I'm not writing him just yet, but I (and a few others online) were kinda hoping he was going to be this intense, methodical sniper-type performance that you usually don't get to see in Smith's popcorn movies. But going off the trailer, it definitely seems like he's (to paraphrase Brian Clevinger) "The Fresh Prince in the Suicide Squad".  It does kinda seem like he's there to give this mild gamble of a DC movie the extra star power it might need (see also: Batfleck). I'll say this, he's got more presence than the guy from Arrow, but that's not saying a lot. Not a big fan of Micheal Rowe's Deadshot.

What do I think of the trailer? Why, other than Juggalo Joker's visual look, I really like it. I'm really biased toward Suicide Squad, but it seems like all the pieces are in place. Waller looks like she'll be awesome, Harley seems promising, I'm kinda dying to see that car chase scene as is in the final movie, and while Joker looks weird, the actor looks like he's going to give an intense performance. Jay Courtney as Captain Boomerang is exactly what I was expecting though, that is to say, he sucks.

I've actually been waiting on a trailer for this thing for what feels like a year now, and it didn't disappoint.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Will Smith is easily the biggest pitfall for me here. That whole "let's go save the world" line is just silly, and Will's delivery just makes him come off more as "Will Smith, the likable hero" rather than Deadshot. A friend of mine tried to say it's meant to be sarcastic, but no, that is EXACTLY how Smith is playing the character.

Everything else though? Pitch Perfect. Joker's attire could be better, but I like the performance, and Harley's pretty amazing as well.

JeyNyce

Will Smith's problem is that he's too likable, and a comes off as a nice guy/ pretty boy.  If Will try to be mean and a thug people would go"Aww ain't that sweet"

BentonGrey

Ehh, Harley seems TOO nuts to me.  She's Harley, not the Joker.  I agree about Smith, though.  He's wrong for Deadshot.
God Bless

BWPS

I think Will Smith is going to be great. I mean Deadshot is usually a killer but never a mean-spirited one. He's a very charismatic guy. Will Smith is also pretty great in most of his movies even if he does come across as a good guy. Check out Secret Six if you haven't, it's a great comic book and it shows Deadshot at his best.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

You notice how they all look like they are together except for Deadshot?  He has his back turned.  I wonder if this means anything?  We all know how he feels about the squad and stuff from the comics

bat1987

baley

When I like trailers, the movie is terrible.

I liked that trailer. Woe! Woe and alas!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Apparently, the response to the humor in the trailers has sent the studio into a panic, spending millions to reshoot and add or change scenes.  Why?  Because apparently they contained every single joke in the entire movie, so it's actually not good if audience expect that kinds of humor in the movie.

We'll see how this turns out.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 02, 2016, 12:45:04 PM
Apparently, the response to the humor in the trailers has sent the studio into a panic, spending millions to reshoot and add or change scenes.  Why?  Because apparently they contained every single joke in the entire movie, so it's actually not good if audience expect that kinds of humor in the movie.

The response to Batman v. Superman is widely reported to be a factor as well.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Talavar on April 02, 2016, 03:32:55 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 02, 2016, 12:45:04 PM

The response to Batman v. Superman is widely reported to be a factor as well.

Yes, that too.  Although as I've said, that reasoning is a bit silly since it's different material and can be a bit darker, but these people clearly don't really understand comic book audiences.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

*sigh*

You know, the Squad is grim at times and gritty at times, but it also has some good humor and some real human drama.  I couldn't expect something like that from these people, though.
God Bless