News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 46: Wally West Flash second costume

Started by Podmark, October 07, 2014, 02:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Wally West's second Flash design?

5 - Love it!
4 - Like it
3 - Meh, no strong feelings
2 - Dislike it
1 - Hate it!

Podmark

When Barry came back to life, Wally eventually got a new variant of his Flash costume:

What do you think?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

trebean

Like it, I love how the gold indentations are popping out, I love the more Crimson Red .

BentonGrey

5: It's basically the same costume, so I give it basically the same score.  I think the belt is a not quite as nice.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bat1987

Same as Benton, gave it a 5, since its more or less the same suit with minor tweaks.

Cyber Burn

5. Add me to the list with Benton and Bat. Pretty much the same, but with minor changes. Kind of looks like a more "Aged" or "Mature" looking Character.

Podmark

Thankfully I think this is the last time we review the design again!  ^_^

Anyway I vote this mildly inferior to Wally regular look. The new mask cut just doesn't quite work as well, but the darker colour scheme is nice.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I voted 5, but truthfully, the weakest points are the differences with the old costume. The darker red is fine (I would argue that's been a staple of Wally's tenure) but the belt is a bit off and the mask changes are pointless.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on October 08, 2014, 07:07:08 PM
and the mask changes are pointless.

I'm pretty sure the whole idea of this costume was to allow both Barry and Wally be the Flash with the iconic look but also appear distinctive while standing beside each other. That's where the different mask cut really works. I've seen comics with them together and it's easy to know who's who. It's not nearly as easy with their standard costumes.

By itself I agree the new mask is kinda pointless, but I think it makes sense given the context.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

This is a shot from "The Return of Barry Allen" back in the 90s, and a group shot of the Barry and Wally figures from the JLU toy line. As you can see, the costumes were already pretty distinct... the belt is already different on Wally's costume than barry's, the color is darker and more reflective, and Wally's mask goes all the way to the whites of his eyes. Even if I were to pull up the n52 version of Barry (which changes the belt to be more akin to Wally's old one) you could still tell at a glance which was which. You'll notice the coloring well before the mouth shape anyway, so why bother making the change. It's pointless.

Podmark

That actually illustrates the opposite for me, Tomato. Yes there are differences, but the ones in the Wally's new costumes are more pronounced. Makes it easier for the a reader to notice they're different, makes it easier for artists to not mix up who is who.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page