News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Generic Skins

Started by Captain Spectacular, June 24, 2014, 11:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Spectacular

Maybe, this should go under meshes instead, but I have several skins that I have downloaded that have names like generic_hero5 and so forth.  I have discovered that some can be renamed male_basic and will work, and I want to know if there is some kind of conversion list around; of if failing that, are the generic_hero meshes available anywhere.   Thanks ahead of time!  If I don't respond very quickly, I am only get online a few hours a day 1 to 3 times a week.

spydermann93

Quote from: Captain Spectacular on June 24, 2014, 11:31:58 PM
Maybe, this should go under meshes instead, but I have several skins that I have downloaded that have names like generic_hero5 and so forth.  I have discovered that some can be renamed male_basic and will work, and I want to know if there is some kind of conversion list around; of if failing that, are the generic_hero meshes available anywhere.   Thanks ahead of time!  If I don't respond very quickly, I am only get online a few hours a day 1 to 3 times a week.

Firstly, welcome to Freedom Reborn, Captain Spectacular!

Secondly, are you asking if simply renaming skins will make those skins work for other meshes?  If you are, the only times that a skin from one mesh will work on another really depends on if the file is name appropriately and if the skin file is "mapped" in the same way that the mesh requires.

For example, most male_basic skins will work on other male_basic skins, plus or minus a few extras.  Heck, if you rename male_heavy skins to male_basic (male_heavy.tga to male_basic.tga), sometimes that will work, too.

However, if you were to try and put a male_basic skin on, say, a mesh by Grenadier, chances are that the skin will look odd and distorted.

abenavides

Hi Cap,

"Generic" skins were the names used when the original character tool came out for FF. (Old timers like myself will recall that the character tool came out even before the FF game).

When FF came out, the names of the std custom meshes had changed to male_basic , etc.

Anyway, here's how you would decode them:
female_basic   - generic_heroine3
female_longhair   - generic_heroine
male_alpha   - generic_hero3
male_basic   - generic_hero4
male_belt   - generic_hero2
male_cape   - generic_hero
male_heavy   - generic_heroB
male_hulking   - generic_heroB2
male_rotund   - generic_heroC
male_suit   - generic_heroS

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Captain Spectacular

Thank you, Abenavides!  That was the answer I have been looking for.   I've been going through many of the old skins and meshes I have downloaded and trying make them work in the game, and this solves problems for some my older skins.  I will probably be asking a lot of potentially annoying and stupid questions over the next few weeks, especially once I get I-net turned back on at the house. 

And thanks, Spydermann, I already knew that trick but someone reading this post may not have known that.