News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Attention Yahoo Group Owners!!!

Started by Cyber Burn, February 25, 2014, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

I just received a couple of E-Mails from Yahoo stating that some of my Groups are about to be deleted due to lack of activity and lack of active membership. You may want to check to see if this is happening to you as well.

Personally, I'm going to download everything from my Groups and burn them to disk, but now I'm not sure what to do in regards to hosting my files.

spydermann93

Thanks for the head's up, Cyber.

If I may offer a suggestion, you could try MediaFire.

As far as I'm aware, you can keep your stuff uploaded for free, as long as you register (which is free).

Cyber Burn

Ok, after going through the E-Mails that I received a little more thoroughly, it seems that, so far, it's just the private Groups that I set up to back up some of my School files which are set to be deleted. With these Groups, I am the only member, and I only add things sporadically at best. It looks like, at least for now, my FF stuff is safe.

That being said, yeah, I am getting pretty fed up with Yahoo Groups and will definitely look at other options.

Starman

Do you know if any inactive FF members Yahoo group's been deleted? It'd be a bummer if the community lost people's work before it could be downloaded and archived...

Cyber Burn

I know that I found a few Yahoo Groups to no longer be available, Taskmaster X's being on the list, I think there was one or two by Flash_22798 that were missing, but otherwise, off the top of my head, I can't remember the other ones

Panther_Gunn

Do unavailable groups no longer show on your group list, or is it there and not accessible?  Just wondering what indicator I should be looking for.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Cyber Burn

Unfortunately, they no longer show on my Groups List. The only reason I know that the ones that I mentioned are missing, is because I found other links to those Groups, and found messages stating that the Groups no longer exist.

I also just received another E-Mail from Yahoo telling me that another one of my Groups was going to be deleted, but it had a link to stop the deletion. But again, this was for a personal Group that I use strictly for file back-up, and is not a public Group.

WyldFyre

Taskmaster_X removed his groups himself a long time ago, I believe at the same time he took down his website. :( 

Several others have gone away, but I presume that they were at the owners discretion. I don't think an automatic removal, without notification, would be allowed.  That being said, YaHoo has really started being a problem instead of a cure.
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

daglob

Well, I got no e-mail or anything, but Character Obscuras I-VII now have no files in them-nothing. I put stuff in CO3 fairly recently, but everything is gone.

In addition, the Tommy Troy group is empty too.

me, I'm from the DOS era, and back up EVERYTHING.

I checked after discovering that many of Tommyboy's groups are empty too.

If they'll do this to me, they'll do it to the good skinners, too.

spydermann93

I wouldn't say that they removed anything, just yet.

It seems like it's just an issue with Yahoo Groups itself.  I just checked about 30 or so groups (no particular ones), and they all fail to show any files.

I don't think that they would remove all files from various groups. It might just be a hiccup in the system and will probably be restored by tomorrow.

Also, don't sell yourself short on the content you put out.  I'm always happy to see when you showcase (and let loose) your amazing creations.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: spydermann93 on March 14, 2014, 10:23:38 PM
Also, don't sell yourself short on the content you put out.  I'm always happy to see when you showcase (and let loose) your amazing creations.

One million percent agreed. And then some.

Quote from: WyldFyre on March 09, 2014, 12:11:58 PM
Taskmaster_X removed his groups himself a long time ago, I believe at the same time he took down his website. :( 

Several others have gone away, but I presume that they were at the owners discretion. I don't think an automatic removal, without notification, would be allowed.  That being said, YaHoo has really started being a problem instead of a cure.

I meant to mention this earlier, but I had a list of Yahoo Groups created by Flash_22798, and a couple of the Groups are no longer available, and I know he didn't delete them. But yeah, I agree, Yahoo is more of a problem with the new format than it's been before.