Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

living legends cap work in progress

Started by bearded, November 22, 2013, 05:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

Spoiler
http://imgur.com/aeFfw1k

i think i am getting ok at faces, using pencil and blur.
What is a good way to do the "a" and mask lines?

Cyber Burn

For me, since I don't have the most steady of hands, I would try to find a font that is similar to the end result. But that's just me.

bearded

right, if you look close at my a, it is wobbly, unsteady. what method do you use for your lines? my mask lines are way too thick.

also, looking for critique from anyone.

detourne_me

Which resolution are you working in? You might want to up the base to 1024 first, so you could get finer lines, then reduce it to 512 after.  I'm not sure if that will work though.

Sioux City Dynamo

Hi Bearded, very nice work!  I am not familiar with that look for Cap.

I generally use the cut out method.  For letters I will generally pick a font that I like, type the letter in bright green (don't ask), position it where I want, use the magic wand tool and click in the area outside of the letter, the image, select inverse, then move to the layer with the color I want, hit copy and paste above the main layer of the skin.  Then I use outer glow, multiply with black...and then inner glow, screen with a lighter shade of the color of the piece.  Some times I will change the image size to 4096 by 4096 and then utilize the paint brush with a small brush and trace the outer edge to make a seam.  After I finish that, I will often use outer glow and multiply with a darker shade of the main color (sometimes I have to play with the opacity of the multiply....I just go by eye.

Take care and keep up the great work!!
Io

daglob

I use something similar to SCD: I either use one of the fonts in the computer, or I make my own. Usally I do it a lot larger and make it in a Group, using the path function (which is actually a vector kind of thing-if you don't understand it isn't important at this point). When I get it right, I fill it with whatever color I want, then make two copies. The top copy I use dodge and burn to shade as I like, then I lock the other two. One, I move up one or two pixels, the other I move down. The one I move down I use burn to darken it as much as possible, the one I move up I use dodge to lighten it (or do a "fill" of the appropirately darker or lighter color-either works). Make a copy of the group, and merge the copy (if you mess up,you still have the original group). Then put it in place and size it up. You can also use the drop-shadow, inner shadow, and inner/outer glow for effect.

It might sound like a lot of work, but once you get used to it, it's not all that difficult.

I also have a Superman "S" and a GL "Lantern" as custom shapes. This helps.

Cyber Burn

Just out of curiosity, are you recoloring the base skin, or are you adding layers of color to it? Also, which program are you using?

bearded

Thanks guys, those are great tutorials.

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 25, 2013, 02:16:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you recoloring the base skin, or are you adding layers of color to it? Also, which program are you using?
Adobe. And both. It is Grens muscular base. for the face, I am on the base, to orient me, but I usually end up covering the whole thing. The black lines are another layer, and the blue shading is another layer, between the base and lines.
face shading is fun. find a brown shade color, draw some lines or spots with pencil and then blur at around 36 percent. over and over. takes a long time.