News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

kitbashing for games

Started by bearded, November 15, 2013, 12:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

Do you guys think it is ok to skope and kitbash for other games, from our pool? I think I can port nif files into civ4 and maybe civ5. I am at the least going to port over the irrational characters, and try to make a super mod for civ. It supports unique heroes now. (If Irrational wakes up and tells me cease and desist, that would be great!)
Anybody playing the new civ?

Podmark

As long as you have permission I'd expect it'd be fine.

I have Civ5, but not either of the expansions. It's pretty good. Once a year I get a Civ craving.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

catwhowalksbyhimself

Honestly, Civ Vanilla was an okay, but not very good game.  With both expansions, however, it comes close to excellence and can stand tall with the rest of the series.

One warning though, Irrational is owned by EA now.  You know, the worse company in America?  The one that takes away people's access to their single player games for publicly saying they disagree with them?  I doubt you'll get their attention, but just in case, you'll probably want to make sure you don't have anything that they might decide to punish you with.

The actual Irrational people are likely to be cool about it, though.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 15, 2013, 02:08:53 AMOne warning though, Irrational is owned by EA now.  You know, the worse company in America?  The one that takes away people's access to their single player games for publicly saying they disagree with them?  I doubt you'll get their attention, but just in case, you'll probably want to make sure you don't have anything that they might decide to punish you with.

Hehe, yeah, EA was actually voted as the worst company in America. Any company; not just game companies. That should tell you something, haha :P

But yeah, as long as you get permission from the creator of the content you're converting, I am totally fine with any sort of ports/rips/etc.  To me, getting the proper credits and permissions and showing respect towards another person's intellectual property is of top priority.

detourne_me

Yeah, it tells me about the hivemind of some gamers and how they can be easily swayed from true horrifying companies.

Anyway, Ken Levine did an AMA on reddit a few weeks ago,  I think he mentioned that he has sole rights to Freedom Force now. So, he's the one you'd have to ask.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: detourne_me on November 15, 2013, 09:57:58 AM
Yeah, it tells me about the hivemind of some gamers and how they can be easily swayed from true horrifying companies.

Anyway, Ken Levine did an AMA on reddit a few weeks ago,  I think he mentioned that he has sole rights to Freedom Force now. So, he's the one you'd have to ask.

I assumed EA would have gotten it, but he must have worked something out.  Good news, Levine can actually be reasoned with or at least depended on not to really go after you for no reason.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.