Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

I think they were more denying any plans to do so from the beginning, not that it was never going to be possible.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

The sarcasm in the previous posts is almost palpable.

But yeah, I'm with Cat. I think it was always one of those "we HOPE it develops into this" more than it was the plan all along.

HarryTrotter

This may sound weird,but I hope it will be lighter in tone then previous Netflix instalments.More Marvel Knights then Marvel Max.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

While I sympathize with that desire, I can't imagine that would be the case.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

Just injecting more dark humor would be okay.
-SEE you around,Red. :)
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Another crazy pitch,but it would be cool if Foolkiller showed up in season 1 of Punisher.Some cross between Steve Gerber and MAX version,and it could work.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Reportedly, Netflix is now in the initial stages of development for Blade, Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider shows.

BentonGrey

God Bless

Jimaras8

Marvel is going really dark with their tv properties. AOS has gotten progressively darker through it's last 2 seasons, DD and JJ are some of the darkest cb properties out there and now Punisher, Blade and Moon Knight are coming???? I would like Iron Fist to be more upbeat and lighter for variety. This is what made the cinematic MCU pop and i think the tv one should follow as well.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

God Bless

stumpy

For Punisher fans, I am happy that this will happen. Personally, I can't say I have much interest in watching a Punisher show. Of course, we are not all the way through this season's Daredevil, so maybe it will seem like a more enticing prospect by the end.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: stumpy on May 19, 2016, 10:25:55 PM
For Punisher fans, I am happy that this will happen. Personally, I can't say I have much interest in watching a Punisher show. Of course, we are not all the way through this season's Daredevil, so maybe it will seem like a more enticing prospect by the end.

Given that we are now talking about Moon Knight, Blade, and Ghost Rider, I don't think you scrolled down enough.

Quote from: Jimaras8 on May 19, 2016, 08:42:48 AM
Marvel is going really dark with their tv properties. AOS has gotten progressively darker through it's last 2 seasons, DD and JJ are some of the darkest cb properties out there and now Punisher, Blade and Moon Knight are coming???? I would like Iron Fist to be more upbeat and lighter for variety. This is what made the cinematic MCU pop and i think the tv one should follow as well.

Well, for the movies, Marvel is going for broad appeal.  They want to get everyone they can into the theatre, and they collect their money per person.  Netflix doesn't care how many people actually sit down and watch the shows.  They care about how many subscribers they have.  The folks who pay for Netflix subscriptions are exactly the kind of folks who like these types of shows.  In fact, nearly all of Netflix's shows have a very adult theme.  I can think of exactly one thing that's not a cartoon that is in any way family friendly.  It's just a completely different thing.

BentonGrey

But the success of the Marvel Movieverse clearly indicates the appeal of a bright and heroic story.  There's room enough for both types of tales, and much range between them.  I'm sure there are many Netflix subscribers, like me, who would enjoy a high quality darker show (Daredevil) and a high quality lighter show.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Netflix doesn't care about broad appeal.  Netflix cares about the one person in each househouse paying for their services and whatever will make them keep doing so.  Marvel for their movies, on the other hand, does.

Right now, the current crop of dark tales is getting Netflix a lot of attention and thus getting the attention of lots of subscribers.  There's no way they are going to mess with a winning formula by doing something lighter and happier.

BentonGrey

But there's plenty of opportunity for them to run that particular horse into the ground.  I really like Daredevil, but I don't think I'd be interested in a whole slate of shows with a similar tone.
God Bless

Talavar

Just to throw some water on this, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and Blade as Netflix shows are all in the totally unsubstantiated rumour category.  As in, the rumours of these aren't even running on reputable rumour sites.  The original site to reference these has gotten rid of the original post.  I'd take their existence with fairly large dose of NaCl.

HarryTrotter

Some people(by that I mean CBR) theorised that Hellstrom could be the next Netflix show.Because the character is making a comeback.
I still think Foolkiller would have been perfect for the next show.I mean,he fights an expy of Donald Trump,how funny would that be now?
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Talavar on May 20, 2016, 02:45:48 AM
Just to throw some water on this, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and Blade as Netflix shows are all in the totally unsubstantiated rumour category.  As in, the rumours of these aren't even running on reputable rumour sites.  The original site to reference these has gotten rid of the original post.  I'd take their existence with fairly large dose of NaCl.

This wouldn't be the first time I've heard this rumor.  Never really put any weight in it to start with.

Jimaras8

Having only dark properties though will wear people down especially Marvel fans. I love Spider-man and Daredevil. If you give only Spider-man though or only Daredevil eventually the monotony of the tone will be obvious. Marvel is making those shows and they decide what they will be. Netflix is just the platform, the budget and aesthetic is determined by Marvel. They have 6 announced shows right now on Netflix and if all 6 of them will be grim they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Talavar

News out of Comic-Con: Daredevil has officially been renewed for a third season, a trailer for Luke Cage has been released onto them internets, along with a teaser (no actual footage) for the Defenders.  Looking good!

Edited to add: And now a snippet of Iron Fist is online too.

BentonGrey

The trailers don't tell us too much, but I'm interested in both the Cage and Iron Fist shows.   :)
God Bless

Shogunn2517

Not sure if this was the teaser you were referring to(there is another), but is the line at the end new?

https://youtu.be/wBZtM8q2Z1g

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on July 22, 2016, 07:22:29 AM
Not sure if this was the teaser you were referring to(there is another), but is the line at the end new?

https://youtu.be/wBZtM8q2Z1g

That is the Defenders one, I'm not sure if the line is new.  Here's links to Iron fist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCSPda7xQ3s, and Luke Cage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymw5uvViqPU

Shogunn2517

Okay, folks I gotta hear from others on their impressions on LUKE CAGE.  I started watching last night, continued through today, stopped to watch the game and will finish tonight.  But to say the least, this show is as much of a departure from the previous two series as the Netflix shows are a departure from the MCU itself.  The critical reaction is one thing, but genre fans are of a different type, looking at and for different things.  But I gotta say as a genre fan and as a African-American, this show is by far my favorite movie, series, short, comic Marvel has produce in probably decades.  Is it perfect?  Probably not, but if the Avengers is a good well balanced meal, Luke Cage is a plate of soul food.  It may not be completely good for you but man am I thoroughly enjoying it.  I felt like the target audience.  It was authentic.  It spoke to me, the themes, the characters, the look and sound.  All of it.

Before I had a chance to start it, a friend of mine described it saying "It's like The Wire if Cutty were Captain America."  That alone sold it for me and if you know the show, he was absolutely right.

Spoiler
First of all the way the show started, some guys in barbershop in Harlem talking about basketball.  I laughed, not just because the conversation was funny (Pat Reilly and Don Corleone get free hair cuts and "Im sick and tired" bit) but it was COMPLETELY familiar.  Outside of the plentiful MCU connections and easter eggs(the Incident, Jessica Jones references, Trish Talk, "Powerman" name drops, 70s outfit, Claire Temple, Hammer Industries, Turk, etc), the show is, they made a point to connect the show to the community it's in.  Again, the themes, the people, the language, all of it was authentically I guess you can say "urban" or "street", but it was like stuff black folks like.  From mentions of Black Lives Matter, greek sororities, past Harlem drug kingpins like Nicky Barnes, the music, the music itself seemed like a separate character. It wasn't just in the background.  It was featured.  The characters were crude, unrefined, brash, and I felt like I actually KNOW these people.  The scene with Misty Knight and Claire in the interrogation room was pitch perfect.  Cottonmouth was awesome.  The dynamic with him and Mariah was intense.  Diamondback was twisted.  Shades was cool.  They fit in the show and the universe like a glove.  They touched on policing, community development, crack-cocaine explosion, firearm proliferation, Donald Goins, Langston Hughes, and on.  It was funny that I was talking to someone about Crispus Attucks and his part in American history earlier yesterday and then Luke spoke to the kid who had a gun to his head about him on screen.  I couldn't help but to think it was also an slight illusion to whats going on in terms of protest and being black in America today.

I clearly can go on, but just suffice to say the show CONNECTED, not just to me, but looking at some of my friends reactions who aren't big comic fans, they connected to it too.  My curiosity is to know whether could there have been that same connection outside of a particular audience, or despite that, was it still as enjoyable to others. Because this has been a joy to watch and I for one, can't wait to finish.

Really would love to hear others thoughts so far.  I'll probably have more to say later tonight, but again, I am thoroughly enjoying what I'm seeing for many reasons.

Tomato

I've enjoyed it so far. I'm only a few episodes in right now, just got through the origin episode. Love the bit with him in his full gear.

Talavar

6 episodes in and I am loving it.  The Marvel Netflix shows continue to kill it, and continue to make me wonder if I should even bother with Agents of Shield anymore.

detourne_me

Im watching episode 7 right now. It's just fantastic in my opinion. I love how it really drew from Kung Fu movies and Blacksploitation movies of the 70s. Then it also draws from Tarantino's love of those two genres, too. So good.

Tomato

Marathoned it from start to finish last night, probably shouldn't have (Sleep schedule is waaaay off now) but this might be my favorite of the Netflix shows so far. It still has it's moments, but this is also easily the most tame of the 3 series... though I would warn anyone who would watch this and not the others that this does reference the other series (particularly JJ, for obvious reasons) pretty heavily. Not in a "You HAVE to have watched them" kind of way, but they'll talk about punisher or about some things that happened to luke in passing, and you might be lost in those moments. If it has any sore spots, it does have some political charge (not anything specifically along party lines, but as was said going in, this IS a bulletproof Black Man)

That being said, this might well be my favorite of the 3. Good amount of action, great characters, respect for history, great humor... even an honest to goodness Supervillain fight. So while I suggest people know about plot points from the other series going in, I urge anyone who's been on the fence for some of the admittedly darker stories to watch this one. That being said...

Spoiler
I think the weakest element in the whole series was the transition from Cottonmouth to Diamondback. We go from one black gangster who's obsessive about Luke Cage to the point where he self-destructs to another Gangster who's obsessive about Luke Cage to the point he self destructs. Like... I know the history of the characters and how big a deal Diamondback was to the formation of Cage, but he had been built up as this dude who was getting tired of Cottonmouth's single minded drive and was gonna come back and replace him... to just another dude who had a crazy obsession with Cage. Except unlike Cottonmouth, who we've seen has a code of ethics and was a genuinely interesting character(I honestly did feel bad for him when he found out his lieutenant shot up the barber shop), Diamondback was just a crazy person with a grudge match against Cage for reasons that we hear about, but never see. Aside from the growth of Shades and Cottonmouth's cousin, the replacement served no purpose, and I'd rather they have used Diamondback for a second season.

Still, that's really not a huge deal, especially compared to how DD Season 2 went waaay off the rails in the second half of the story. I do like how things have been set up for season 2/the Defenders, and I loved the respect the series showed Harlem, both it's people and it's history.

Also, the bit with the costume might have been my favorite bit in the whole show.