Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

I'm not too concerned about it's story ties to the original comics. I don't think we're going to get an episode-by-episode recreation of the comic, far more likely it'll be comparable to the rest of the MCU where the actual story itself is rather different but characters and plot points will carry over (Winter Soldier is a good example of this).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Talavar

catwhowalksbyhimself

Rumor has it that these shows may be joined by a Punisher series, should his appearance in Daredevil turn out well, and that Moon Night is being prepared for the same treatment.

Shogunn2517

https://youtu.be/nWHUjuJ8zxE

This looks really good.  Dark.  Twisted.  Pretty gripping trailer with a kind of villain you can't just go beat up.  I always said Kyrsten Ritter is just an odd looking duck, but here, she looks so natural in the element.  NOW, I'm looking forward to it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

There's rumors that the Iron Fist series may already be canceled and his spot in the Defenders replaced with Punisher.  This is reportedly because his magical origins don't fit well with the street level heroics of the others.  If true, he may get a Netflix exclusive movie instead.

In any case if he is still going to get a series ahead of the Defender, we should be hearing of it soon anyway.

spydermann93

I really, really, REALLY hope that rumor is just a load of bupkis.

I want my Immortal Weapons, dang it! :ph34r:

HarryTrotter

http://mcuexchange.com/thunderbolts-netflix-show/
There was also an old rumor Netflix got their hands on Thunderbolts,but I really hope thats not true.Dont let Netflix screw up Thunderbolts.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on November 09, 2015, 06:36:43 PM
http://mcuexchange.com/thunderbolts-netflix-show/
There was also an old rumor Netflix got their hands on Thunderbolts,but I really hope thats not true.Dont let Netflix screw up Thunderbolts.

There are also rumors that the Thunderbolts may be on Agents of SHIELD.  No matter what, I wouldn't be surprise if the Thunderbolts are introduce into the MCU
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Or maybe even in Civil War.Im guessing maybe after Infinity War.Or phase 5.Teams 20th anniversary is approaching;Marvel will mark that in some way.
BTW do we know what the 4 mysterious movies were?
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

HarryTrotter

Ok,some new unconfirmed info.Netflix also has phases,so after phase 1(Defenders),there is a good chance phase 2 will be Thunderbolts.Bad news its probably Anti-hero All-stars variant(Red Hulk,Punisher,Elektra etc).I guess thats something too.Or its gonna be just one miniseries about the Civil War cape-buster Thunderbolts.Just guessing about that one.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

I'm through the first few episodes of JESSICA JONES and these guys, these showrunners do not disappoing!  Nor are they holding anything back.

Spoiler
Just mildly, I think Kyrsten Ritter was purposely casted for this role, which as I said before made me question what they were doing because I never thought she had "the look" of what I would think for the role.  Now seeing her live, I'm thinking she was right for what they were looking for.  They weren't looking for Wonder Woman or some super model to play the role, which is why Ritter works so well.  Particularly she works well with Mike Coulter.  Save for the blue and yellow spandex and tiara, he's what I would have pctured when I thought about Luke Cage on screen.  Seeing the two of them together is a site.  To say the least(this is much more R-rated than Daredevil).  Purple Man is being handled well and the pacing is right so far.  I can't wait to see more.  Can't wait to see the rest of the series.  Can't wait to see Luke Cage.

HarryTrotter

I have pretty much the same complains like with Daredevil.The pacing is horrible.You might as well watch the grass grow.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

I'm really enjoying this.  Krysten Ritter is great, and David Tennant is creepy as hell.  For the more delicately minded though, this is definitely the most R-rated Marvel show or movie yet, with more swearing and sex in the first couple of episodes than in the rest of the MCU combined.

spydermann93

Quote from: Talavar on November 21, 2015, 03:52:53 PM
I'm really enjoying this.  Krysten Ritter is great, and David Tennant is creepy as hell.  For the more delicately minded though, this is definitely the most R-rated Marvel show or movie yet, with more swearing and sex in the first couple of episodes than in the rest of the MCU combined.

If only Cap was there to remind them of their language!

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on November 21, 2015, 12:18:35 PM
I have pretty much the same complains like with Daredevil.The pacing is horrible.You might as well watch the grass grow.

No offense, but are we watching the same show? The pacing seems pretty darn brisk to me. If we were really  watching the grass grow, Jessica wouldn't even start going after Kilgrave until Episode 5 or so.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

catwhowalksbyhimself

Daredevil was pretty much at my limits of adult content, so I'll pass on this one.  Glad others are enjoying it though.

JeyNyce

Just finish watching the whole season and it was pretty good.  Not a lot of action as Daredevil, but the drama level was pretty high.  I wouldn't mine a season two, or they have Jessica guest star in Luke Cage, either way I wouldn't mid seeing more Jessica Jones.

Tomato

There's clearly season 2 setup in season 1, which I won't go into because spoilers and I don't feel like messing with tags on mobile.

However, as to the claims that it has more mature content... I would argue that point, actually. Jessica Jones isn't NEARLY as violent as Daredevil was, where the sound and visuals really punctuated every bone breaking, not to mention extended and brutal torture scenes. Jessica Jones has a bit of violence, but its mostly in the superheroes punching each other kind of way. The violence often genuinely disturbed me in Daredevil, but I never felt that with JJ.

Really, I think the difference with JJ is the big s-word. There are multiple scenes of consentual relations, some of which are pretty graphic(not quite to the level of... adult only content). That said, despite the villain being a rapist, defile itself is never directly shown, and what stuff is present is hardly worse than what I've seen in the few episodes of GoT I've watched. I think it's more where your sensitivity lies, honestly.

Shogunn2517

Honestly, as creepy as this may sound, I did not think a lot of the sexual content egregious.  Felt a lot of it was telling the story.  It was about the connection Luke and Jessica made and how they were kindred spirits testing their limits so to speak.  At least in my opinion.  Was it excessive?  Maybe, but I didn't mind so much and it didn't break my own personal discomfort.  I didn't see it as sex just to be sexual.  Saw it telling a story.

Spoiler
That said, I just finished the series last night myself and overall, it was good.  Better than Daredevil?  Not sure I can say, but it definitely kept me entertained.  It really gave me the feel of one of those "crime-caper/Private eye" serials from back in the day.  Just with superpowers.  The chemistry between Ritter and Colter was perfect.  If they dumped Iron Fist, I wouldn't mind seeing more Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.  Colter himself was a pretty amazing find.  He will EASILY find more work in Hollywood now.  Ritter herself played the hell out of this role.  She went on record to say this was the kind of role she was waiting to play her whole life and she knocked it out of the park.  The one thing this series has the Daredevil lacked was the humor.  There was lots of it.  The flashback scene with Trish and Jessica discussing her superhero career was HILARIOUS. Trying to make Kilgrave be a hero was great.  Speaking of, Tennant himself was wonderful.  Like you can see certain people in a particular role and forget who they are in real life or them as some other character.  I definitely got that feeling from both Tennant and Ritter.

On the negative side, I do have to say, even though I expect them to, they pretty much dumped the entire "Purple Man" persona.  I thought that they'd use more purple camera filters when he's using his powers or when he expanded them it'd turn his skin a purple-esque shade(not unprecedented).  Even when they expanded his powers, I can't imagine what it did.  He already seemed to be able to control a large mass of people before.  Still wasn't able to control Jessica.  Additionally, I'm not sure how I feel about them trying to explaining it off as a virus or how they casually dropped in a 12 hour window for the effect to be gone.  Lastly, the ending of the series itself seemed a little anti-climatic to me.  Overall still, wasn't overly disappointed at all.  The pacing was good.  The acting was terrific.  And it was overall an entertaining show.

I do have one question though.  Whenever someone saw one of these guys using their powers and saying "you're one of them", was this a nod to Inhumans from Agents of SHIELD?

JeyNyce

There were a lot of nods to the rest of the MCU:

Spoiler
The "you're one of them" could be a reference to Agents of Shield and being an Inhuman.
The cop and the ICH - The pills were red, white, and blue.  That was a nod to Cap and the whole Super Solider program
Night Nurse - N'uff said
I think one of my favorite parts was when they had the Jewel costume.  That was fun to see.
and is it me or that Patsy Walker theme song was kinda catchy?  I caught myself singing it a few times.....

Shogunn2517

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 22, 2015, 10:15:47 PM
There were a lot of nods to the rest of the MCU:

Spoiler
The "you're one of them" could be a reference to Agents of Shield and being an Inhuman.
The cop and the ICH - The pills were red, white, and blue.  That was a nod to Cap and the whole Super Solider program
Night Nurse - N'uff said
I think one of my favorite parts was when they had the Jewel costume.  That was fun to see.
and is it me or that Patsy Walker theme song was kinda catchy?  I caught myself singing it a few times.....

BTW, I didn't know it until a friend told me earlier...

Spoiler
Simpson is Nuke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_(Marvel_Comics)

Didn't know much about the character and I knew there had to be something behind the healing and pill popping and insistence in the character, but it fits... except for the obvious lack of a tattoo.

spydermann93

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on November 23, 2015, 02:43:11 AMBTW, I didn't know it until a friend told me earlier...

Spoiler
Simpson is Nuke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_(Marvel_Comics)

Didn't know much about the character and I knew there had to be something behind the healing and pill popping and insistence in the character, but it fits... except for the obvious lack of a tattoo.

Spoiler
It's really funny that he is Nuke, seeing how my friends and I were all commenting on how he's the "Discount Captain America" and we were all calling him "USAgent", but after a while, it hit me. He's mother-fraggin' Nuke! How funny :lol:

As for the "nod to the Inhumans" thing, I don't think so. I haven't watched Agents of SHIELD (like, at all), but it doesn't seem like the Inhumans are well known to the general public (I could be wrong, though :P). It felt like it was referencing the Avengers, seeing how every other episode mentions "the Big Green Guy" (I wonder who that could be. hmmmmm.... :P)

Talavar

Quote from: Tomato on November 22, 2015, 07:44:42 PM
There's clearly season 2 setup in season 1, which I won't go into because spoilers and I don't feel like messing with tags on mobile.

However, as to the claims that it has more mature content... I would argue that point, actually. Jessica Jones isn't NEARLY as violent as Daredevil was, where the sound and visuals really punctuated every bone breaking, not to mention extended and brutal torture scenes. Jessica Jones has a bit of violence, but its mostly in the superheroes punching each other kind of way. The violence often genuinely disturbed me in Daredevil, but I never felt that with JJ.

Really, I think the difference with JJ is the big s-word. There are multiple scenes of consentual relations, some of which are pretty graphic(not quite to the level of... adult only content). That said, despite the villain being a rapist, defile itself is never directly shown, and what stuff is present is hardly worse than what I've seen in the few episodes of GoT I've watched. I think it's more where your sensitivity lies, honestly.

I would agree with this.  The language and sexy-times are much more prevalent than other MCU productions, but the violence is nowhere near Daredevil.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: spydermann93 on November 23, 2015, 02:53:45 AM

Spoiler

As for the "nod to the Inhumans" thing, I don't think so. I haven't watched Agents of SHIELD (like, at all), but it doesn't seem like the Inhumans are well known to the general public (I could be wrong, though :P). It felt like it was referencing the Avengers, seeing how every other episode mentions "the Big Green Guy" (I wonder who that could be. hmmmmm.... :P)

Actually in the current season, the outbreak of "alien terrorists" as the public assumes them to be is public knowledge with the President addressing the nation about it.  The public doesn't understand exactly what an Inhuman is, but the fact that they exist and are popping up everywhere is known.

catwhowalksbyhimself

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 22, 2015, 03:22:51 AM
Daredevil was pretty much at my limits of adult content, so I'll pass on this one.  Glad others are enjoying it though.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Glad to hear IF is still in the offing.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/