Gotham(The Series)

Started by Shogunn2517, September 25, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XStream

Quote from: Tomato on September 24, 2014, 04:09:00 PM
Ummm... Stream?

Spoiler
Barbara Gordon was Gordon's first wife. She was present during Batman Year One, and she's also the reason Gordon named his daughter Barbara... mainly because

Spoiler
He felt guilty for cheating on her with Sarah Essen and effectively ending their relationship. She still lives in the comics (or did... n52 being what it is I'm not sure) but moved to Metropolis with their son.

Spoiler
Well that is a sucky reason to name your daughter after an ex!
LoL. I didn't preface my post with my normal disclaimer on anything DC. I have hardly ever read a Batman comic book. Honestly, other than Knightfall, I don't think I have any Batman comics in my collection. The majority of my exposure to Batman were the classic television show, the Burton films, the Animated Series (one of my favorite shows of all time), the horrid Schumacher films, and Nolan's trilogy. Oh and the Red Hood animated flick (that thing was awesome!).
Spoiler

Seriously, my idea would make for a better story than naming your daughter after someone you cheated on. Gordon just dropped a couple notches on my hero scale. Can you imagine explaining to your daughter that she is named after the gal you were shacking up with before you met her mother, and the only reason you named her after the ex was because you felt bad... (I hope you are reading this as a comical rant... Now I'm just thinking about deleting it... Nah.)

P.S. Do you know how exhausting it is to make all of your spoilers bold and blue?...
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

BentonGrey

Ugh, well, after reading what folks have said so far, I feel even better about not being interested in this.  This show sounds like precisely the kind of story that I wouldn't enjoy.  Incorporating terrible elements from the comics while preparing to rend continuity limb from limb, yay!  :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Spoiler
I looked it up actually, and I was a bit mistaken on that... though it doesn't help that the whole thing has been retconned about 20 times. Originally Batgirl-Barbara was adopted during her early childhood by James and Barbara Gordon after the death of her parents, which was later changed so that she actually might have been James' biological daughter because James had a thing with his brother's wife (wow, Gordon REALLY had issues keeping it in his pants), but then even that was finally retconned out in the n52 and Babs is currently his first child with Barbara Sr. Comic Books!

Seriously though, it's not often I can honestly say "thank God the New52 retconned this nonsense out" but there it is.

Podmark

Thanks Tomato. I've actually been very confused about Barbara's origins for quite some time. Just hadn't gotten around to researching it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BWPS

Man, really surprised at some of the reactions to the pilot. I didn't even finish it as it was the worst show I'd ever seen. The acting and dialog was atrocious all around, and the show has some usually good actors. And just seeing Him run into every single shoehorned in character was so silly.
Spoiler
When he goes to Poison Ivy's house and she's there with all the house plants. It's so painfully corny. I didn't watch much after that.

I mean this was really bad, I hated the premise but I think the execution was even worse. I love Batman but I'm definitely going to be skipping this one and I hope it gets canceled quick because they really ought to be ashamed.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

JeyNyce

I'm thinking this was just a way to get all of the comic fans into the show.  He guys, we have so-so and this person and who's that over there?  Now that has been establish, I hope they concentrate more on the story now and not just try to cram Bats rogue gallery into the show. 
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

bat1987

Fair enough about the spoilers. Will def watch for those in the future.

This reminds me when I spoiled Winter Soldier's identity to a friend who I was watching the movie with, thinking that his identity was common knowledge lol.

Eventhough I don't like so many friggin' cameos crammed into one episode, I kinda get why they did it. Jey pretty much explained it.

But not sure how someone thought that Mario and Ivy Pepper sounded like a cool idea.

Tomato

Quote from: JeyNyce on September 25, 2014, 01:11:30 PM
I'm thinking this was just a way to get all of the comic fans into the show.  He guys, we have so-so and this person and who's that over there?  Now that has been establish, I hope they concentrate more on the story now and not just try to cram Bats rogue gallery into the show.

Eh, I think that saying "this is a batman show" would have done that just as well, and I felt like the constant references in the first episode were more of a turnoff than anything else. Having rewatched it just now with my dad, the whole scene with... UGH... Ivy Pepper contributed nothing to the overall plot of the episode, and in some ways actually dragged the episode down and caused it to not be as tight as it should have been. It's not horrible, mind you, but I do think they'd have been better served spacing that sort of thing out and focusing more on the narrative.

And for the record, if anything, people I've talked to have avoided the show because they're afraid of all the constant references. So if the idea was to get more people engaged... you kinda backfired there.

The Hitman

Hey, not be be totally and shamelessly promoting my own stuff (although I totally and shamelessly am), but I wrote like 1200 words on the Gotham pilot, if anyone's interested in checking it out.

GOTHAM Season 1 Episode 1 – "Pilot" [Review]

(Hey folks, great to be back!)

Shogunn2517

I think I mean this in a good way, but this show is kind of corny.  I know it based off Batman continuity and Batman is notorious for over the top characters and visuals, but this is kind of pushing it.  I'm not going to go as far as BWPS, but a maniacal Fish Mooney, a weak pushover yet psychotic Penguin.  These figures having a lead role in an Italian mob family.  And then there was the duo today.  That coupled with a decrepit very low-tech police station... in a modern American city?  Maybe if this was  the 70s or even the 80s.  But it isn't.  It's just hard to buy.

I was expecting(or hoping) for something different than what I'm getting. 

JeyNyce

After watching tonight's episode I still say that Bruce and Selina are not needed in this show.

Podmark

The show is pretty much exactly what I was expecting, but I was following the press for it pretty regularly.
I like it so far. It's not blowing me away but it's keeping my attention. I found Penguin quite engaging in this episode, he's probably my favourite character right now, but that could change quickly. My least favourite is Barbara, she seems like she's from a different show.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

JeyNyce

deano_ue

i've only seen two episodes and there is potential. i just dont like them bringing in every villain. nigma and copplepott i can see as its a great way to see them rise and fall.

but now they've annouced, zasz, freeze, scarecrow and dent. so if bruce is what 10 that means every villain in batmans gallery is 10-15 years older than him. i said ages ago this would be the problem with the show, you cant escape the shadow of the bat and clown

JeyNyce

Quote from: Kommando on October 27, 2014, 07:53:22 PM
I watch it. I enjoy it. Not going to say more since this seems more of a Gotham bashing thread than a discussion thread.

Not bashing, but it's a bit too much.  It's like Fox is trying so hard to make all the Batman fanboys happy that it's a bit overwhelming.  I think the way they should have done it was to have the Waynes murder be the end of season one.  The other characters talked so much about them and the things that they have done for Gotham, but you feel like, So what, they dead.  It would've mean more if they let us get to know them before killing them off.

bat1987

Quote from: Kommando on October 27, 2014, 07:53:22 PM
Not going to say more since this seems more of a Gotham bashing thread than a discussion thread.

Same reason I rarely participate in "Superman sequel will feature Batman" thread....

HarryTrotter

Its a good detective show,and its not a Batman show at all.Once you gett over that,its pretty enjoyable.Ok,not that sold on Alfred...
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer