Gotham(The Series)

Started by Shogunn2517, September 25, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starman

Pamela Isley doesn't really have any childhood stories in the comics, as far as I'm aware. She didn't even have an origin when she first appeared in 1966 (as Lillian Rose) and only got a supervillain origin in the late '80s (as Pamela Isley) via character reboot written by Neil Gaiman. Anyway, it's possibly that Ivy Pepper could change her name to Pamela Isley down the track ... we'll have to see when the show actually starts.

Time jumps would be nice, but it would mean recasting all the child actors.

I wonder what character Sara Paxton is going to play?

Podmark

I believe the creators have said that the show starts with Bruce losing his parents and will end with him becoming Batman. Can't remember if they meant leaving Gotham or returning. Either way I wouldn't expect the kind of time jump you're thinking of captainawesome, but you never know.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Quote from: Kommando on July 06, 2014, 02:39:22 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on July 03, 2014, 03:04:25 AM
Ivy Pepper?  Is that supposed to be Poison Ivy?

You realize she may very well grow up to be Dr. Pepper?

:doh:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

steamteck

I don't really see the appeal of this show but OK. Smallville at originally conceived at least had some interest to me but dragged on way to long and too much stuff that should have been Superman stuff happened in it. The original concept was sound though.

Things kind of have to get worse or at least not better as the show progresses to need Batman also.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I think they need some hard and fast rules.

No supervillains.  Ever.
Bruce Wayne remains a supporting character.  Period.
The main thing that worries me is that we have too many future supervillains showing up too soon for this to stay away from that sort of thing.  I'm okay with the Penguin, who's just a deformed gangster after all, but it should focus on gangster and other more common criminals.  Supervillains should only really show up at the very end of the show and probably just one in particular.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

Carmine Falcone should be the main villain since he was around before Batman was.  Penguin should be on of Falcone men who secretly wants  to have his own gang.  Catwoman could be Falcone's illegitimate kid who steals from him, but he doesn't know it.  They can go into so many directions if they have a good writer
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Dollmaker definitly since hes Gordons archenemy(sort of).
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BWPS

Crappy trailer,  terrible premise,  not excited at all.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

steamteck

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 04, 2014, 03:31:56 AM
Urg...that's just the type of thing that bothers me. :P

You and me both.

catwhowalksbyhimself

They've at least explained Ivy's name change now.

Spoiler

Ivy Pepper is an orphan who apparently will get adopted over the course of the series and will have her name changed at that point to the now familer Pamela Isley.

lugaru

Saw a trailer during the 'commercials' section of the trailers at a movie theater...

I'm having a hard time getting excited about this too.

Tomato

So... I just watched the first episode.

Spoiler
I'll be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to this show, at all. Much as I love Batman, the premise of this show is... kinda meh. But having sat through the first episode, I'm reasonably impressed... I expected much of of the titular "Gotham" to be a watered down version of its comic counterpart, but it was actually surprising just how dark they took things. I do feel like they're being a bit heavy handed with the nods this early on (Penguin and Bruce were integral to the narrative of the episode, but we also got Selina Kyle, Eddie Nashton and... UGH... "Ivy Pepper" all shoehorned in the first episode as well) so I still worry about the series' longevity, but it was a good introduction and I'm interested in seeing more, which is more than I could say going in.

JeyNyce

It's not a bad show.  By the way the first episode went, it kind of reminded me of year one from Gordon point of view.  You don't need Bruce and I really don't see the point of have Selina in the show either.  To me the real stars of the show are:

Spoiler
Enigma & Cobblepot.  Enigma had a bit part on the first episode but he nailed the Riddler.  While I agree with Tomato about rushing Cobblepot story, I think he is going to play a big part of the show.

I also would like to know how long can they keep the going if they rushing to show us all of the characters
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Starman

The dialogue was a real ear-grinder ... there was a lot of exposition, with Bullock and Gordon having some clunking lines. One of Jim Gordon's first pieces of dialogue is literally saying something like "What is your name? My name is Jim Gordon". Also, there was a relationship involving Montoya and another character that had me wondering why it was even included.

Aside from that, it was an interesting first episode for a show about Batman that doesn't actually feature Batman ... it definitely has the potential to be a good DC universe crime procedural and there are plenty of gangster-ish Batman characters that could be introduced later down the track.

Tomato

Quote from: JeyNyce on September 23, 2014, 12:35:34 PM
It's not a bad show.  By the way the first episode went, it kind of reminded me of year one from Gordon point of view.  You don't need Bruce and I really don't see the point of have Selina in the show either.  To me the real stars of the show are:

Spoiler
Enigma & Cobblepot.  Enigma had a bit part on the first episode but he nailed the Riddler.  While I agree with Tomato about rushing Cobblepot story, I think he is going to play a big part of the show.

I also would like to know how long can they keep the going if they rushing to show us all of the characters

Spoiler
I liked Riddler, but again, my issue with having him in the first episode is that he ends up getting sidelined into this "spot the character cameos" list because of just how much is already in this episode. I would have enjoyed his inclusion much more had we cut out the pointless cameos of... UGH... Ivy Pepper and Selina Kyle (who was awesome for about the first thirty seconds, but her being there during the Wayne murders was silly, and she didn't really do anything else for the entire episode.) but right now I'm just waiting to see what they do with him in the next few episodes as basically the series' Abby Sciuto. And for goodness sake, turn down the riddles a bit... he was onscreen for like two minutes and every other line of dialogue was him trying to slip riddles in there. We get it, he's the Riddler, you don't need to shove that in our teeth.

lugaru

BTW in this show is Bruce a kid or a teen? I just ask because I see all the batman rogues, but in the commercials they only show Bruce at the age he lost his parents. So in this world is EVERYONE 10 - 30 years older than Bruce Wayne? No wonder he can beat up all his foes once he becomes Batman...

Tomato

Spoiler
I don't know exactly how old Bruce is supposed to be, but Selina Kyle is about the same age and... UGH... Ivy Pepper(Yes, I am making that a thing. I HATE that name change, it's absolutely stupid) is actually a bit younger. Even Cobblepot and Nashton, who are about the oldest of the rogues so far, are only late teens/early twenties... maybe 10 years older than Bruce, tops. Even Gordon looks like he's only mid-twenties(maybe 15 years older than bruce), and the age difference between the two has been much larger in some comics.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Starman on September 23, 2014, 12:48:18 PM
The dialogue was a real ear-grinder ... there was a lot of exposition, with Bullock and Gordon having some clunking lines. One of Jim Gordon's first pieces of dialogue is literally saying something like "What is your name? My name is Jim Gordon". Also, there was a relationship involving Montoya and another character that had me wondering why it was even included.

She's gay.

And Barbara's probably bi and they had something going on.  That Gordon doesn't know about.  Picked that up like 3 seconds after she knocked on the door. 

Podmark

I enjoyed it, but I had decent expectations for this show and it didn't quite meet them. Good start though. I like Gordon, and most of the cast seems interesting.

My biggest concern is what will the show be about long term? We know the end game going in, and most of the principle characters are part of that end game, so what can be done over the show's run? That's my big question right now. How much can we do with Cobblepot before he really becomes the Penguin? What can they do without compromising Selina, stuff like that. I guess it's the same question that Smallville faced, but at least with Smallville the star was the real star. Here it's Gordon instead of Batman. Could work out, we'll have to see.

Also Alfred was a little bit of a jerk. Wasn't expecting that.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Starman

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on September 24, 2014, 03:02:48 AM

She's gay.

And Barbara's probably bi and they had something going on.  That Gordon doesn't know about.  Picked that up like 3 seconds after she knocked on the door.

Yeah, dude ... I was trying to avoid spoilers for people who hadn't watched the episode yet, since it was kind of a surprise :rolleyes: Also, I was wondering why they made Barbara Gordon and Renee Montoya former gay lovers, which seems gratuitous. It's weird that James Gordon and Montoya are involved in a love triangle with a woman.

bat1987

Ya, Montoya is gay in comics, so they stayed true to source material. Her being with Barbara was unexpected though.

I liked the episode, a bit too many name drops for my taste. I like the cast, and I really want to see more. There's prolly gonna be some soap opera moments with Barbara/Montoya and Jim, and especially when they introduce Sarah Essen, but I guess its normal thing on cable :)

Def want to see where are they going with this all in all. Had relatively low expectations, but it was def better than i thought it would be.

XStream

So I watched this late last night on Hulu and really enjoyed the show, and I look forward to seeing what happens in the next episode. The problems that I have with the show, I believe, are because it is a Pilot episode. Pilots almost always suffer from the same problems. Remember this episode was used to pitch the show. Of course they are going to name drop every character they can and try to make those who have a say in programing see why this show can work. I bet a lot of our complaints will be toned down in future episodes.

I hope Oswald, Nigma, and
Spoiler
that comedian (who received way to much attention not to be important... whether he is
Spoiler
the Joker
or not
all become regulars on the show. This is the story of how Gotham and Batman's villain's came to be what they are when Bruce puts on the cape and cowl. We are going to see a lot of villain origins but not told in a quick flashback but a season or two.

I have some thoughts on some of the things being discussed on here, but I am going to hide them behind spoilers. Don't click if you haven't watched.
[/b]
Spoiler

Barbara Gordon is going to be one of the best characters on the show. I think a lot of people might be missing that she is, along with Fish Mooney an original character for the show. What I mean by this is that she is not Gordon's wife when Batman is cleaning up Gotham. I think this is going to be a story that gives us some insight into how Commissioner Gordon became the dedicated lawman of Gotham. Most people are jumping on the bi-sexual indicators... but what if that is to throw off fanboys? I mean, average Joe didn't get that when they watched the episode. What if it was a Red Herring. What if Barbara has a more sinister past, and one that will ultimately lead to her death. Most likely in a way that saves Gordon or Gotham. I think her name is another indicator. Commissioner Gordon will one day have a daughter that he will name after his deceased fiance'. I'm thinking Barbara Gordon will be a very big player in this show.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show. I think it has a lot of potential. I have a couple of questions since I did not follow the build up to this show. Is it set in any of the DC universes? I don't think it is Nolan's, no Rachel, and I don't think Gordon and Bruce had that close of a relationship in Nolan's universe. I know it has beens stated that it is separate from WB's Arrow and Flash. But is this a tie-in to the up and coming movies?
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

Tomato

Ummm... Stream?

Spoiler
Barbara Gordon was Gordon's first wife. She was present during Batman Year One, and she's also the reason Gordon named his daughter Barbara... mainly because

Spoiler
He felt guilty for cheating on her with Sarah Essen and effectively ending their relationship. She still lives in the comics (or did... n52 being what it is I'm not sure) but moved to Metropolis with their son.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Starman on September 24, 2014, 05:09:51 AM
Quote from: Shogunn2517 on September 24, 2014, 03:02:48 AM

She's gay.

Yeah, dude ... I was trying to avoid spoilers for people who hadn't watched the episode yet, since it was kind of a surprise :rolleyes: Also, I was wondering why they made Barbara Gordon and Renee Montoya former gay lovers, which seems gratuitous. It's weird that James Gordon and Montoya are involved in a love triangle with a woman.

Lol.  Sorry.

hoss20

Since we're relatively early in this thread and the show just started, I would like to make a suggestion. Since Gotham isn't necessarily about Batman, but more of his past and the world he grew up in, perhaps we could all have an understanding that not everyone is going to have the same amount of knowledge regarding the history of the Dark Knight. Being that the character has been around for 75 years and retconned multiple times, it would be impossible for someone to know everything about him. I imagine it would be the duty of those with knowledge of the Batman to determine whether something is spoiler-worthy or not when answering someone's question or responding to an incorrect supposition. I would also argue the other way as it would be a fair assumption that if something has happened in the comics years ago, then it doesn't need a spoiler. Although, it may be that those without a deep knowledge of Batman may want to watch the show and have things revealed to them for the first time. Who knows?

I'm not trying to hammer on anybody either way, but being that were just getting rolling in this thread, we might want to keep some things in mind.

Cyber Burn

I have to chime in on this one.

While I always enjoyed the few Batman books that I did pick up, I will emphasize the word "few". I am not going into this show being very knowledgeable about many of the Characters, and I would appreciate things placed in Spoilers, especially if it would help avoid spoiling an episode or plot line. "Gotham" is really giving me, and maybe others, a jumping on point, and while I do like to see what others think AFTER the episodes, I would kind of like to avoid, if possible, being told what others may already know because of their familiarity with the Characters.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I just watched the first episode and I thought it was pretty good.  If they keep the focus on Gordon's secret fight against corruption in the police department, it could be a good show.  If they get too distracted with throwing out Batman References, it could all fall apart.  We shall see.

For now, I like Gordon's portrayal and am interested in where things will be going.

Tomato

*shrug* if I feel information concerning the comics could potentially spoil plotlines in the show (such as the potential fate of Barbara Gordon) I'm gonna spoiler tag it just to be safe. As Cyber correctly points out, not everyone knows every little detail, just like not everyone has read the Game of Thrones books (and we all basically agreed those should be in tags).