Guardians of the Galaxy - 2014

Started by spydermann93, July 22, 2013, 10:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWPS

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

spydermann93

JeyNyce

Maybe it's me but I'm expecting this to be an action comedy movie, which would be good for Marvel in my opinion.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

spydermann93

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 08, 2014, 05:14:32 PM
Maybe it's me but I'm expecting this to be an action comedy movie, which would be good for Marvel in my opinion.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be action-comedy, which I am very much looking forward to. :P

JeyNyce

Wow, people are really hyped up about this movie.  The end credits scene are popping up online.  I guess August 1st can't get here fast enough.

lugaru

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 08, 2014, 05:14:32 PM

As somebody who likes both superhero and arthouse movies, I end up reading a lot of critics opinions of superhero movies. Mostly they all say 'why so serious?' and praise most of the Marvel movies for having at least a few lighthearted moments.

So yeah, action comedy is a good direction. I mean it is what made Fantastic Four watchable despite being pretty bad.

JeyNyce

SickAlice

I have to wait a few months after most people to see a film due to living in the mountains. This is the one that I can say makes me the most annoyed by the fact. It looks GREAT just by the adverts and promo material even aside from the fact that it's GOTG to begin with! Did any of you years ago ever think it was plausible that you would be seeing Groot on the big screen? I sure didn't. And I tell you this: I want them to merchandise this sucker to the Nth degree because if I can actually own and wear a pair of Rocket Raccoon slippers I will be able to die happy.

BentonGrey

Yeah SA, how crazy is that?  We're living in an age where not only has Thor had two successful blockbuster movies, which we never thought possible, but Marvel is actually adapting an extremely obscure property (as far as the moviegoing public is concerned) that includes an anthropomorphic raccoon! :lol:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

(and still no Wonder Woman movie grumblegrumblegrumble)

Actually I am glad this is turning out to be a fun space-opery thing.  I am so burnt out on "Grim 'n Gritty", it'd be nice to see something fantastical and fun.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

spydermann93

Quote from: Glitch Girl on July 18, 2014, 03:17:46 PMActually I am glad this is turning out to be a fun space-opery thing.  I am so burnt out on "Grim 'n Gritty", it'd be nice to see something fantastical and fun.

I'm with you 100%, GG!

BentonGrey

Pictures of the villains:
http://majorspoilers.com/2014/07/19/three-guardians-galaxy-posters-show-villains/
For the most part, I think Ronan looks awesome, but that weird non-mask thing on his face bothers me.

Korath looks nothing like he should, but he's a pretty minor character (in the comics). 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Podmark

Like Benton I never thought we'd get a Thor movie, but getting a Guardians movie is unbelievable. Especially if you consider at the time this film was being conceived the Guardians title had been cancelled. It really is crazy.

I am so looking forward to this though. All the trailers look very fun.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

crimsonquill

I just got feedback from one of my friends who does professional reviews.. he went to see an advanced press screening on Friday. He wasn't allowed to fully review it online until the actual premiere date but he said 'It's great.. everything I could have hoped for and then some. And yes, you will be seeing more GoTG movies. They had a 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Will Return' tag at the end of the credits."

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

JeyNyce

This movie can't come soon enough for me.  The only time I was this excited for a Marvel movie was when the first Spider-man movie came out.  The funny thing is, I'm not a big fan of the new Guardians of the Galaxy.  I grew up reading the original comic, but it seems this group translate better to film.

Spring Heeled Jack

Gonna skip over to the local cinema tomorrow -- July 31st! -- a full day earlier than you chumps and watch Marvel's latest. Looks pretty cool, I think, though I'm still recovering from the fact that, well, someone actually made a Guardians of the Galaxy film and it didn't go directly to DVD. The soundtrack is awesome too.

Back in 2012 Korea had The Avengers nearly a month before North America. It was too much time to gloat to my friends back in the US; I actually got bored after a few days.

Figure Fan

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 19, 2014, 08:03:32 PM
For the most part, I think Ronan looks awesome, but that weird non-mask thing on his face bothers me.

I think it's face paint, actually. The insignia on his armor is also painted on.

BentonGrey

I think you're right, FF, but it looks weird.
God Bless

JeyNyce

BentonGrey

I'm going to see it this weekend. :D  The tough thing is going to be getting the wife to see it if it's good.  She is dead-set against it.  She can be pretty judgy and inflexible from time-to-time.  That's why, despite the fact that she LOVES the Marvel movies, I can't get her to read a comic, no matter what it's about.
God Bless

Tomato

lugaru

Probably seeing it on a double date Friday, my g.f. is super excited and honestly the more I see, the more it looks like a really fun movie.

Spring Heeled Jack

spydermann93

Spring Heeled Jack

Quack...quack...quack.

New movies release on Thursday in Korea, and sometimes they try to release movies early to coincide with national holidays. That's why The Avengers was here so early. China, Korea and, I believe, Japan got it for their long holiday celebrating Buddha's birthday.

Shogunn2517

Meh...

Just saw it and it was pretty much everything I expected it to be and that's pretty much it.

There were some things I liked, some things I didn't.  But absolutely was not wowed by it in the least. 
Spoiler
It was nice to see Thanos, but he didn't have any sort of gravitas.  To me he's THANOS the biggest baddest dude ever drawn, not named Darksied.  But to regular movie goers his 2-3 minute cameo didn't highlight who he was or how critical he was.  Ronan was a good villain, but his background was just weird.  Does he work for Thanos or is he the Kree Accuser?  As far as the actual team itself, I suppose they are a core group, but as it's been pointed out they are EXTREMELY obscure.  Just odd to see these non-top tier characters get this sort of treatment.  Overall though, the movie didn't do anything I didn't expect from it.  I'm sure others may disagree, that's fine.

Spring Heeled Jack

:mellow:

Spoiler
All in all it was an enjoyable film, but nothing spectacular. A little humor, some action. Except for a lot of Kree and Nova Corps stuff, there really wasn't much that the typical person in the audience would recognize as Marvel, but perhaps that was the point. Marvel might be trying out its potential for producing blockbuster films featuring its lower-tier, more easily licensed characters. But who knows.

Regardless, it was okay. The characters seemed a little flat sometimes, and the plot was rushed and packed too full of sequel-prepping character development -- toss-away Gamora/Nebula subplot, anyone? But the audience seemed pleased. Not a film that had to be made, but as far as summer fun goes, it beats the miserable also-rans that have preceded it so far this year.

BentonGrey

Aww, that's a bit disappointing.  I've been hearing it's spectacular.
God Bless

lugaru

Going to to see it tonight, hopefully for review. I took a peek at Rotten Tomatoes since I try to avoid repeating what everyone else said and honestly my impression is that non comic fans might be a little more excited than comic fans, given just now novel and 'non franchise' this feels. For big cosmic fans they might see what the movie is lacking but for general movie goers (or non cosmic fans like me) there is a lot to be excited about.

And when I say cosmic I mean "Marvel Cosmic" not comic.     ^_^