News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

CBH

Started by james07766, May 03, 2013, 12:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james07766

Just wondering if anyone from here plays Comic Book Hero from grey dog software :)

Adam stated there will be a second one coming out at some time.

lugaru

Oh that kind of looks up my alley... what can you say about the game?

I've been wanting a "career" style superhero game for a while.

james07766

Its not bad overall for the 1st game in the series.Its not like playing champions or d/c online but for a text based sim its pretty fun.
And yes there is room for growth but Adam really pays attention to what people say and i know the 2ed version will be even better.

Check out these you tube videos for a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zttB34eXf_k&feature=youtu.be

And for rest of his videos her is a link to his post in grey dog forums for CBH

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524400

BentonGrey

Hmm, this has peaked my interest. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

I tried the demo, but found the monotonous clicking of the same text options over and over again to try to keep certain numbers up a bit boring.  To each his own.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

bearded

I played the demo for about 2 minutes and immediately purchased the full game and havent stopped playing since!
wish i could find some good faq's, guides, builds, mods, and things of that nature.

james07766

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/home.php

Thats link to grey dog forums. There just ,look for all things CBH based

And you can always ask in forums there as well just register. People there are in general as nice as ones here.

Oh just dont mention John Cena in the WWE threads in the dog pound and you be ok :P

bearded

even on the forums, the only mod i can find is the marvel one. i would love to get that infinity plus mod.
i am actually droppin in some jpg's and creating the ff characters. created a new location, patriot city, for them.

james07766

Just to a back search in mods section you will find links to others .And if for some reason links are down you can ask if a person could re up link to mods or mod you want and get a response .

BWPS

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 03, 2013, 09:52:48 PM
Hmm, this has peaked my interest.

Gross Benton aren't you an English teacher?
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

detourne_me

unfortunately, BG has told the truth,  he will never be more interested in anything ever again.  New Alex Ross Silver-Age DC project? meh.   Modern Larry Hama-scribed GI Joe animated series? whatevs. True to the comics Aquaman movie trilogy? So what?
This new game is the pinnacle of interest.

bearded

i think he meant peak-ed. tired and wan.

and thanks for the tip. duh. i should have figured.
and there already is a ff mod!
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514041

BWPS

Quote from: detourne_me on May 06, 2013, 02:39:02 PM
unfortunately, BG has told the truth,  he will never be more interested in anything ever again.  New Alex Ross Silver-Age DC project? meh.   Modern Larry Hama-scribed GI Joe animated series? whatevs. True to the comics Aquaman movie trilogy? So what?
This new game is the pinnacle of interest.

Oh, mime is steak.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

TheAdamBn

Hi Guys

I'm glad that some of you guys are enjoying the videos.

There is also work going on to make a Freedom Force mod with is located here http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514041

bearded

Hey AdamBn.
Welcome. I am playing that mod now, by merging it into the default. I am also using some shots of the characters from the game itself, ff, cause they seem to fit the rendered style a little better.

stumpy

I've been enjoying the videos (#14 went up yesterday). They have me intrigued and I am hoping to find time to download the demo at some point.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just be careful which one you download.  There are two and even the main website seems to have the first one at it's main link.  The first one has the full game just about, the combat is skewed to the point where you'll practically be insta-killed by the lowliest henchman around.

The second one, which you may have to dig around to find, limits you to a couple of pre-made characters, but you can actually play the game without feeling like you're playing Jelloman.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

james07766

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 30, 2013, 10:12:12 PM
Just be careful which one you download.  There are two and even the main website seems to have the first one at it's main link.  The first one has the full game just about, the combat is skewed to the point where you'll practically be insta-killed by the lowliest henchman around.

The second one, which you may have to dig around to find, limits you to a couple of pre-made characters, but you can actually play the game without feeling like you're playing Jelloman.

Just to let you know the demos are made to be tough and i dont think you can do as much as you can in reg game.

TheAdamBn

Edit - What he said two above me

stumpy

I eventually found the character-restricted demo or demo patch and installed it. Cat is right that the second demo version is better than the version where your toon gets clobbered during his very first round of combat! Yeesh. It like you get to take Blue Beetle out on his first mission, but the villains he faces are all Kryptonian. :blink: Grey Dog Software would be smart to change the web page so that the second version of the demo the one people see right away. Right now, I am betting most people grab the version on the download page, which is the first version, presently.

Anyway, the second demo was interesting enough that I bought the full version a few days ago and registered on the GDS forums at about the same time. I got in a few hours of playing and had a great time running a new toon, getting him some friends, upgrading him, fighting, healing, etc. I must say, there is a fair amount of repetition, but it is still very addictive and fun. The game provides a pretty good "comic book" feel. That is, it does a good job of simulating the things that happen in a comic book, but also has aspects of character advancement that make it a fun game. And, I can see that a lot of work and wit have gone into populating the game with NPCs. A vampire with antelope DNA who goes by the name Vlad the Impala? Awesome! :lol:

Unfortunately, we had a blackout here while the game was open on my PC. After, though none of my other software had been affected, it wouldn't start, just giving the "GBH has stopped working" Windows error. I think the issue is related to some elicense software that installs with the game. I have tried re-installing and even using Windows Restore to go back to a point a couple days before installing the game, but no luck so far. I was hoping someone on the GDS forums might have some advice but, sadly, I can't post on their forums and the email contact (Scott) hasn't responded to my PM or email.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

TheAdamBn

Is elicense showing in your control panel. If it is try uninstall it and see if that fixes your issue.. That and make sure your running in Admin mode if your using Windows Vista or above

stumpy

Thanks for the reply, Adam. I may be able to post on GDS soon, so I will try and repost this there as well.

First. yes, I sedulously open the game using "Run as administrator". I knew enough to do that from reading the GDS forums, even before downloading the demo. :-)

And, yes, "eLicense Control (32-bit)" shows on my Windows Control Panel. I know that something isn't quite right with it because clicking on it there only brings up an Explorer error that no application is registered to open it. I was hoping that was just because eLicense hasn't released a GUI compatible with the newer versions of Windows, but that the underlying library functions would still work. But, that may not be the case.

I have tried removing with the uninstaller utility from eLicense.com, and it does disappear from the Control Panel. But, even after I reboot, starting CBH.exe brings up the same "CBH has stopped working" error. (And, "eLicense Control (32-bit)" reappears in my Control Panel, as I would pretty much expect.)

BTW, the error details that show up when trying to open the game are
QuoteProblem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   CBH.exe
  Application Version:   1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   4f3bcddf
  Fault Module Name:   CBH.exe
  Fault Module Version:   1.0.0.0   
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4f3bcddf
  Exception Code:   c0000096
  Exception Offset:   0000a6ec
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

BTW, the really sad part is that everything worked fine up until the blackout and I had saved the game I was playing, so it seems likely that there is something that the game or the license software does when it closes that didn't happen that time and that may be the source of the trouble. BTW, the demo still works fine (I re-installed it to test), which is why I was suspecting that the eLicense issue is part of the problem.

james07766

comic book hero episode 16 is up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOwkTXd3gk&feature=youtu.be

Scarlet spider joins the west coast avengers and has 3 great battles with em.

stumpy

:D

Well, so the solution that finally worked was uninstalling ZoneAlarm. (I was running  ZoneAlarm Free release 10.2.047.000) I had done additional searching and it seemed the eLicense system has run into trouble with other firewall programs, like Comodo. So, I wondered if there was a similar issue with ZoneAlarm (I used the free version).

I uninstalled the game from the Control Panel (Programs and Features) and ran the ViaTech eLicense uninstaller as well, which requires a reboot. Then I uninstalled ZoneAlarm from the Control Panel, also requiring a reboot (about the 17th reboot in this process). Then I ran the retail CBH installer, which ran without a hiccup. And, it didn't even ask me for the Order ID, as it has done before. I double-checked that CBH.exe is set to run as administrator and fired it up!

Woohoo! It opened like a charm. I then quit and re-installed the Feb 15 2012 patch files and (re-checking the admin mode settings) started it again. Fantastic! It looks like everything is sorted. :cool:

BTW, in case anyone is wondering: Yes, I had used the ZoneAlarm widget to disable ZoneAlarm before. That did not help. Uninstalling ZoneAlarm did help.

As happy as I am to have the game working again, I should note that not all the mysteries were solved. For one thing, ZoneAlarm was fully active when I first installed CBH, so I'm not sure why there was a conflict after the power outage. And, I should note that the eLicense widget in the Control Panel still will not open, but I am resigned that that is a GUI issue and the underlying functionality is working as intended.

TheAdamBn

Zone Alarm caused me so many problems over the years that I just had to give up using it..

Sorry i dont post over here as much as at the GDS site, but for those that are still interested, the Youtube series is still going on but with a new character and the original database