News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Problem with Mesh on FFVSTR

Started by AutumnCreed, August 29, 2012, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutumnCreed

Hello guys !  :thumbup:

I'm a fench fan of :ffvstr: so i apologize, first, for my grammar ;)
Furthermore, it's that why if this topic is already existing, i don't see it, because i don't understand all that it's writing in english lol

For a long time, i have hesitate to coming here, but now i'm here :P and i can expose my big problem in  :ffvstr:. I don't know why, but many meshes i found on fansite didn't work fine in the game, like AfghanAnt work. Recently, i have noticed that the meshes are working in-game, but my problem is out-game; i made a screen to show what i see when i select a mesh in the "character creation". (Here the mesh is "Nova" which i found on Murs47 section on Champion of Freedom ;))

Someone knows how to resolve this problem ?

Thank you :lol:

stumpy

Welcome to the forums, AutumnCreed!

I am not the most familiar with skinning issues, but I also downloaded that mesh and I am also not seeing the standard skin in the character creation screen. On my PC, the Standard skin shows up as white/blank. But, if I click the button to change to the next skin, there is a valid Nova skin. If the issue with the Standard skin is not resolvable, the Nova skin looks great and works fine.

As to the Standard skin, I checked the skins/Standard folder and it looks like several of the TGA files are blank or very small (56 bytes), compared to those in the skins/Nova folder. I think those files (male_basic.tga, etc.) are the problem. As far as I can see, there is nothing to display. I don't know if the practice today has become to release meshes with a blank standard skin or if this is a problem with the mesh release. I see several of the others releases on CoF are the same way. Perhaps the game uses the next skin folder if the image files in the Standard folder are blank. someone familiar with that mesh (or others released the same way) can enlighten us. Either way, I don't think it's a problem with the way you have set things up.

You may also want to send a note to murs47 to ask him, since he is active on the forums.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

AutumnCreed

Arf  :(

So this problem can't be resolve ?  :unsure:
Maybe it's about my computer's configuration, no ? Do i have to convert with nifconverter all the meshes ?
Sometimes it's work, like with some Grenadier's meshes, sometimes not, and i can't know which meshes is for  :ffvstr: or for  :ff: because there is almost nothing in the readme  :lol:
I really hope that someone find how to resolve this problem, and i repeat that it's not about in-game, but in "character creation"; i consider it as problem because, when i select a mesh,  :ffvstr: can stop suddenly -_-

I want to got a lot out of big artists'work, what else ?  :wub:

stumpy

Are you saying that no skins are available when you click the >> button to check the skins? If there are no skins showing up for the mesh at all, then there is a problem. If there is a skin showing up when you page through the skins using the >> button, then there may not be a problem. I think that it's possible that the downloaded mesh is only supposed to come with one skin and that the other skin (the one in the skins/Standard folder) is just a placeholder.

When you say that when you select a mesh, " :ffvstr: can stop suddenly" do you mean that the game locks up when you click the >> button?

Not all meshes need to be converted with nifconverter. In particular, the Nova mesh you were testing shows as a v10 mesh, so it is already in the default FFvT3R format.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

AutumnCreed

Yeah i mean that, when i click on >>, the mesh stays as the same thing i show you on my first post  :(

For the  :ffvstr:'s crashes, i think that it's not about the >> button because i can change skins on a "crashed mesh" and play with it in-game. I speak about some meshes which when i just clik on, in the "Mesh selection", crash  :ffvstr:, screen, etc...

Nobody have the same problem ?  :huh:

GogglesPizanno

I remember having a similar skin issue on a mesh before.
It was because one of the skins was in the .DDS format and the others were .TGA
You might look and see if some of the skins are in different formats, and remove those form the skins folder to see if that fixes the issue or not.

As for the crashing, most of the time that happened to me was because it was a mesh made for  :ff: that needed to be run through the nifcoverter to convert it work in  :ffvstr:

Not all meshes have that problem but there are a few that do.

AutumnCreed

I looked on some meshes' folders and i don't thing it's about .TGA and .DDS in the same folder, because i don't see something like that  ;)

I forgot to say that, but, these meshes, which are looking crashed, can be viewed by Nifviewer, whereas the meshes which are grealty working can be viewed by this program. Can this information help you ?  :) 

stumpy

Just to clarify, the mesh example you gave isn't actually crashing the game, is it? I thought it was just showing up incorrectly (or not at all), but that the game continued to run even though nothing was there. If the game actually stops running or gives an error of some sort, you should post that.

You can try Goggles' suggestion and run the nifconverter on the mesh, but I don't suspect that's the issue because it's already a NIF version 10 mesh, which I think is the supported format for FFvt3R. I don't imagine it would even open in the original FF.

The idea about mixed DDS and TGA files would look like it fits the symptoms here. And, it is one that affects different people somewhat differently because of differences in how graphics cards and drivers handle the two image file formats. But, it is true that all of the files in the skins folders that come with the mesh are TGA files; there are no DDS files with the mesh.

Cyber Burn

Just out of curiosity, can you view the meshes in Character Tool2?

Also, I believe that on many, if not most, of Murs' skopes have a blank stadard skin. You can copy the second skin and paste it into the standard skin folder.

AutumnCreed

Quotethe mesh example you gave isn't actually crashing the game, is it?

Yeah. If i can go on this step of the Character Creation, it's because i can play with it, without crash :D

So it's maybe about my computer's configuration ? Too bad :o
I have an old computer, since 2002 like that  <_<

QuoteJust out of curiosity, can you view the meshes in Character Tool2?

Actually i can't launch it because it says "alert: loadRPGstruct : %s cannot be opened., powers.dat" :thumbup:

QuoteAlso, I believe that on many, if not most, of Murs' skopes have a blank stadard skin. You can copy the second skin and paste it into the standard skin folder.

I'm going to test it, i tell you if it work later ;)