Arrow (Green Arrow) TV series

Started by Midnite, March 20, 2012, 05:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

^My thoughts exactly.
And apparently Suicide Squad is only 2 people.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Guys guys guys, you have to understand. It's far more realistic that Ray Palmer built a flying exoskeleton that lets him fire lasers at people, than it is to say he discovered a compound that lets him shrink down to microscopic size. For Ray Palmer to do something as far-fetched as shrink down would be much too unbelievable in a show that regularly features the hero stopping bad guys using a bow and arrow, and whose spin-off is about a superhero who can travel through time by running really fast.

But yeah, it's totally obvious that this character was supposed to be Ted Kord. And while I do like the character (Routh is so much better here than as Superman), I wish they'd take advantage of the fact that this is the Atom, and stop trying to make him into a poor man's Blue Beetle.

HarryTrotter

And they probably thought power armor would be cooler then shrinking.But still...
Anyway,how many people learned that Oliver is Arrow?20-30?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

This is what they should do:
1 - Bring Ted in and let Ray give him the armor.  Ted modified it, slim it down and becomes the Blue Beetle or just Beetle, since Green Arrow is just The Arrow.
2 - Since Flash is learning to time travel, bring in Booster Gold, who also have a future version of Ray's armor
3 - Let Ray continue to be a scientist and then later on discover the power to shrink. 
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on March 27, 2015, 01:22:34 PM
This is what they should do:
1 - Bring Ted in and let Ray give him the armor.  Ted modified it, slim it down and becomes the Blue Beetle or just Beetle, since Green Arrow is just The Arrow.
2 - Since Flash is learning to time travel, bring in Booster Gold, who also have a future version of Ray's armor
3 - Let Ray continue to be a scientist and then later on discover the power to shrink.

Booster will appear in the new team based spinoff according to KTV.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

They can't use Ted.  That who they wanted to use in the first place, but DC said no.  I also wish they had made him closer to the real atom.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Starman

In the first two seasons of Arrow, there were a few mentions of Ted Kord, owner of Kord Industries. In a flashback to 2007 in Season 1's "The Undertaking," Oliver Queen's parents Moira and Robert attended a fundraiser hosted by Ted Kord. In both Season 1 and 2, there were quick "Easter egg"-style appearances of Kord Industries logos. In Season 2's "Time of Death," we learn that the villainous William Tockman (The Clock King) used to work for Kord Enterprises.

Ted Kord and Kord Industries would take over Queen Consolidated and presumably as the season went on, we would eventually see Ted become the Beetle. When asked about it during Comic-Con International, one of Arrow's other executive producers, Andrew Kreisberg replied that they asked DC Comics for permission to use Ted Kord but they were told the company had "other plans" for the character. DC suggested they use Ray Palmer (the size-changing superhero known as the Atom) instead, and Kresiberg told the crowd, "we said that would work better!"

Guggenheim was asked on his blog how things changed between their original idea for Ted Kord and their current plans for Ray Palmer:

QuoteQ: We know you wanted to bring on Ted Kord originally, before picking Ray Palmer. Would he have been the same character on the show as Ray is now (similar character, similar storyline, etc.) or is Ray's general storyline for this season something you developed specifically once you had the DC greenlight?

A: A mix of the two, I'd say.

As a comic reader, it is bizarre to me that "Arrow" wanted to use Ted Kord / Blue Beetle, got denied by DC, then decided to use Ray Palmer / The Atom ... but couldn't be bothered to really change the character from Ted Kord to Ray Palmer at all! So now we basically have Ted Kord, using the name Ray Palmer, and calling his suit ATOM instead of BEETLE (or whatever) and splashing some red paint on there. It gives me the impression that these guys had already written a big chunk of Blue Beetle's storyline before getting denied by DC.

It's also strange how Arrow and The Flash keep borrowing so many set pieces and visual cues from Nolan's Batman films and the Spiderman series, with the CW Atom obviously heavily indebted to Iron Man.

BWPS

I'm really irritated with a lot of things on the show, which I am still enjoying. The Atom "exosuit" (aren't all suits exosuits?) is probably the second-worst behind the fact that The Arrow doesn't shoot people with arrows. It makes sense that they wanted him to be Blue Beetle but it doesn't make sense that they just made The Atom Blue Beetle. It's not just that it isn't the thing that the character's supposed to do, it's just not cool. It's just a worse looking Iron Man, I don't like it. Brandon Routh is good though.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

thalaw2

I like Routh too, but like everyone else I'm disappointed that Ray Palmer is Ted Kord.  I was really looking forward to seeing some shrinking action going on.  The Atom is one of my favorite DC characters so this is kinda upsetting.  I like Blue Beetle too, but if I'm expecting and the Atom I want to see the Atom.  It really irks me.  I was cool with them using Batman storylines and set pieces and what not and applying them to Green Arrow...In fact, I'm happy that in this show Ollie is never called Green Arrow, because this guy ain't Green Arrow. 

At least the name Oliver Queen is being used by a guy who is using a bow and arrows and not someone driving a batmobile and using batarangs as it seems in the case of Ray Palmer is Ted Kord.
革命不会被电视转播

GhostMachine

I read somewhere that Routh did an interview and said that the shrinking powers will come in eventually. Personally, I'm hoping the armor explodes and gives him super powers, with maybe the jet boots being the only part of the armor that remains intact.

But right now he's a total Iron Man rip-off, and every board I've been to that has a discussion about Arrow has brought up the fact that the character is really Ted Kord. Some of us even think he should move to The Flash at some point.

Starman

Yeah, I've also read an interview with Guggenheim where he mentioned that Ray will eventually have shrinking powers but people might be surprised/disappointed with his initial "abilities". I'm assuming he'll pick up his shrinking powers in "The Flash", then move over into the spin-off series that is being developed for The Atom, Firestorm and the other B-grade heroes.

It would have been cool if they'd given Ray's suit roughly the same abilities as Al Pratt / Atom I ... "atomic strength", then Atom II could have had shrinking abilities. Then again, that's just the comic fan in me craving some closer ties to the books.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: JeyNyce on March 09, 2015, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: Starman on March 09, 2015, 05:00:08 AM
Killing
Spoiler
Bronze Tiger
off screen and replacing him with Cupid = disappointing. I dislike Cupid intensely ... lame comic character, way too much attention on "Arrow" purely due to her creator.

That was dumb.  That was a great character and wasn't even fully develop yet in the show.

Only just saw this post so I'm replying to it now. Did the character in question get mentioned in the new Suicide Squad episode? Because if they did I must not have caught.

Incredibly disappointed to learn that they wrote them out in the comic. Lame as hell.

Spoiler
I've liked Bronze Tiger in the comics, Arkham Origins: Blackgate game, and the show itself. Would have enjoyed seeing him again. I imagine his actor might be doing other stuff. Talking about developing his character, you might be interested to know there was an incredibly cool deleted scene on the season 2 Blu-Ray scene of Arrow (no, not the second Harley Quinn cameo, though that was a good one too) that does exactly that. We see Tiger in bed with Kelly Hu's character China White (lucky guy) and they're talking about his motivation. He's an "honorable opponent" type who wants the privilege of fighting the Arrow/Hood/whatever to test his skill. Nothing too complex or surprising, but still cool to see, a decent nod to his other iterations, and a fair deal more than what we got in the actual show.

I'll definitely miss him. I salute you, Ben Turner.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Entire Squad setup from 2.5 comic is thrown out the window,basicly.
Ravan,too,gets no mention,whatsoever.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Wait the guy from the Jihad, from Ostrander's original run? HE made it into the comic?  Geez. I'm gonna have to do some more research about that thing.

The thing I find especially disappointing, is that the two previous times the Squad appeared on the show (their debut episode and the S2 finale) it was about Diggle, and not the Squad. At least the new episode put a spotlight on Deadshot (probably the first time in this show that actor felt anything like the real Floyd Layton to me)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Yes,that guy.You shoud really check out the comic.Its really good.And I wouldnt want to spoil it for you,but the squad goes against somebody pretty big in the DCU.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

I wanted to see how Oliver himself will go against a metahuman opponent,instead of seeing how awessome Ray is...again.I think the biggest reveal in the long run is that Deathbolt is a metahuman from Opal city.That opens a lott of options in the future.Metahumans everywhere?Starman tv-series?I dont know man,but it keeps me up at night.  :thumbup:
Spoiler
I tottaly knew they wouldnt kill Roy.And he goes on a road trip.I expect him to come back for the finale.
Will they kill Thea?Thats the question...
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Spoiler
I think she's dead... Ish. That said, we kind of know the time travel shenanigans in Flash will be bringing back at least 1 other Arrow cast member, and there's still the Lazarus pit... The latter of which might be the reason Arrow consents in the first place.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Tomato on April 16, 2015, 08:08:38 AM
Spoiler
I think she's dead... Ish. That said, we kind of know the time travel shenanigans in Flash will be bringing back at least 1 other Arrow cast member, and there's still the Lazarus pit... The latter of which might be the reason Arrow consents in the first place.
Spoiler
Only mostly dead? XD
Seeing all the Batman inspiration around,I kinda expect
Spoiler
her to be revived by Lazarus pit,then go crazy for a while...and well you know the rest. XD
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

You guys didn't see the preview for next week?

Spoiler
She going in the pit, then jumps out of it and is all crazy like

HarryTrotter

^Well,I was just kidding,but really?Are they going to do the whole Jason Todd thing now? XD
Season 2.5/17 has Oliver wearing a hockey mask...Casey Jones anyone? XD
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Who is going to be in the new spinoff series because.....

Spoiler
I was not expecting Roy to leave and it kinda looked like Ray wanted to go after he saw his girl and Arrow hugging it out

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 16, 2015, 07:02:15 PM
Who is going to be in the new spinoff series because.....

Confirmed so far
ATOM, Hawkgirl, Firestorm (professor Stein at least) Black Canary I (or at least Sarah's actress), Captain Cold, Heatwave, Rip Hunter
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

^And Static or maybe Black Lighting.
But come on people,metahumans in Opal city?Nobody finds that interesting?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on April 17, 2015, 02:40:35 PM
^And Static or maybe Black Lighting.
But come on people,metahumans in Opal city?Nobody finds that interesting?

You're thinking that we're going to see Starman or Elongated man?  Or maybe a mention of them? 

HarryTrotter

Writers say they have something real CRAZY in store for the next season,so it wouldnt suprise me.There was also talk about a new sidekick,but thats a different subject.
Jon Farmer

thalaw2

Arrow is awesome.  The show never ceases to surprise me.  I fully suspect that Sarah will be back in the next few episodes.  It's highly possible that she had a secret dip in the pool.
革命不会被电视转播

Midnite

Extremely disappointed with season 3 so far, too much teenage angst crap. Also it seems the producers are focusing too much on the Flash. Which has been amazing season so far.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Midnite on April 23, 2015, 03:32:48 AM
Extremely disappointed with season 3 so far, too much teenage angst crap. Also it seems the producers are focusing too much on the Flash. Which has been amazing season so far.

There is just too much teenage angst crap in superhero media.. that stuff is supposed to be for Gotham and the Batman movies!!!!111!!11 oh, wait.. Arrow *IS* the Batman of the DC TV world. *mindblown*

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

JeyNyce

After watching Arrow last night, the first thing that popped in my head was Daredevil.  Didn't DD took over the Hand and was their leader at some point.  You think Arrow could be heading the same direction?

thalaw2

I thought the episode was good in spite of the angst (which i could have done without).  Felicity sure has a lot of her mother in her.  I also hate to see they broke up the whole Christian Grey angle which I was kinda enjoying with Ray and Felicity.
革命不会被电视转播